New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU,

5 posters

Go down

Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU, Empty Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU,

Post  GNG Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:27 pm

but he couldn't make all state last season. As I stated many times last season, he should have made all state.

At least college coaches{and yours truly} can spot talent.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU, Empty Re: Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU,

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 pm

There you go boasting again. Evil or Very Mad No silent

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU, Empty Re: Interesting that Joe MAC gets a scholarship to play baseball at SNHU,

Post  nhball9 Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:39 pm

I guess I don't see what is "interesting" about that. Joe is a talented pitcher- no doubt and congratulations to him for being paid money to play in college. But aren't the all-state teams selected by the division coaches who played against them and have seen more of a pool of players? It is easy to say "so and so" is the best out there when you have the opportunity to see them every day. According to the 2011 coaches he wasn't one of the top 18 players, but didn't he make the second team? I'm not bashing you, just making a point that there are many talented kids out there and to insinuate that one kid gets "screwed" by the system is actually an insult to the kids who worked to make the top 18. Which I am sure you didn't intend to do.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSports11 Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:30 am

The whole all-state selection process can either be a big win or a huge loss for many of the NH baseball players. There are always kids left off who should have been on it. Joe McCarthy is a prime example. If I'm not mistaken, when Cody Gilchrist went down, he was the guy who stepped up on the mound. He led the team in wins and home runs. Talk about a two way player. Also, I believe he was tied for the lead league in home runs. So for him to not make even THIRD TEAM, is ridiculous and it just goes to show how there can always be snubs. I'm not taking away anything from those 18 guys who did make the list, but it's just one of those head scratchers that you move on from.

NHSports11
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:43 pm

Joe missed a start or two last year as well due to injuries. Whether he led the team in wins is beyond my memory's capacity. Joe was one of 3 regular starters for BG, of which 2 lost time to injuries. Joe would have been very hard pressed to jump some of the D1 pitchers from last year for first team. While Joe did lead the team in HR's, he also probably led the team in strikeouts! If you watched games you know teams got the book on Joe after the first few HR's - throw him junk and watch him whirl. IMO, if anyone stepped up last year for BG on the mound it was Pat Clapp who came out of nowhere to be a closer and a spot starter. That continued through the Legion season as well. Both Cody and my son were 3 year starters for BG and will pitch in college. They have different styles - Cody being more power and my son more finesse. On Mar 3 in FtMyers, Cody's and my son's college teams will meet on the diamond in a Spring Training game. I'm not sure if Cody will pitch down there, but I know my son is.

I agree with the comments about the all state selection process - it's a crapshoot and generally name recognition gets you at least a vote or two. I doubt very much the coaches share statistics on their players throughout the season and only go into the all state voting meeting with their own teams stats. After that it's all about who's more respected or vocal in showing their own players love.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum