@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty 2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  PANTHADAD on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:08 am

This year's tournament will run from Monday, 12/28/09, to Wednesday, 12/30/09. All 3 days will be at Nashua High South.

This year's tournament field includes:

Hollis-Brookline
Campbell
Alvirne
Bedford
Thornton Academy from Saco, Maine
Moore Catholic from Staten Island, NY
Nashua North
Nashua South

Interesting rumor ... opening round matchup between Campbell and Alvirne ... have they ever played each other?

Stay tuned for more info

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Re: 2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:25 am

Awesome, this is a good lineup this year. This is always one of my favorite holiday tournaments. Always well put together between Nashua North/South and just a great atmosphere for the kids, fans and everybody involved. Should be some great talent and games this year...can't wait! Keep those updates comin'!

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Re: 2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  Guest on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 am

Can't wait for the tourney, always is a good one. Just a few comments on it though, although all the teams going will make it interesting, curious to know why isn't that team that has been a regular at the Chick-fil-a from NY (can't remember their name at the moment) coming? Also I would love to see bg in this tourney as I don't get around to seeing them too much not to mention would just add to the talent already at the tourney, and would love to see the talented bunch from milford in this tourney and see how they do in it. I feel Milford could really make a run in this tournament, but regardless can't wait for the tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:03 am

If I remember correctly the team you're referring to is New Dorp, NY. For a few years they really struggled in the tournament, not winning a game. More recently they have come with some very competitive squads to the tourney. I agree, too bad their not in there, looks like they've been replaced with Bedford?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:02 pm

Asst., Here's the opening round schedule from last year's Nashua Xmas Tournament:

Dec. 28 1:00 Hollis-Brookline vs. Alvirne
2:30 New Dorp (NY) vs. Thornton Academy (ME)
4:00 Nashua South vs. Campbell
5:30 Nashua North vs. Bedford

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Yea Moore Catholic is the replacement team it appears. Should be a great tournament as it usually is. Anybody heard of QCIBT schedule getting released? Or any other Tournaments? I'm tuning up the Winny tonight...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:32 pm

Unofficially I think it's the same teams in the QCIBT as last year. One bracket will have the 4 Manchester teams. The other bracket will have Merrimack, Exeter, Dover and Bow. With Memorial, Trinity, Merrimack and Dover, it's conceivable the QCIBT will have 4 of the top 6 to 8 teams in Class L spreading some basketball holiday cheer. Exeter is a solid team also that could wind up in the top 6 to 8 teams in L. Bow is an improved I team and West and Central won't be chopped liver either. The QCIBT field on paper seems superior to the Nashua Holiday Tournament.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:18 pm

It was an interesting tourney last year!

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:28 pm

Tully, what will be interesting will be what the powers at Memorial make for early matchups. What we do know is that one Manchester team will certainly play for the QCIBT title. In the non-Manchester bracket Merry, Dover or Exeter will be matched up in a quarterfinal game. The odd team out will get Bow in a quarterfinal game. In the Manchester bracket you'll probably see Memorial vs. West and Trinity vs. Central. Not to look too far ahead but your semi-final matchups could be Memorial vs. Trinity and Merry vs. Dover or Exeter vs. Merry/Dover. Thinking about these games would almost be as good as holiday cookies made by Mike Mitchell washed down with spiked egg nog from NH Hoops.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Especially if Mike Mitchell is wearing his zebra shirt.

THE questions as I see them though... is will Moe's whistle get any action?

Will Goody's shirt survive?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Ah NH Hoops and good ol Mike...resistant to change...hopefully they make their way over hear soon, two of my favorite contributors. They probably felt the same way when asked to give up Mr. Ed for a Model T. Razz

All kidding aside...I hope these tourneys are on offsetting days. Anybody who picks me out of a crowd at one of these tournaments gets a free skittles from the snack bar on me Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  PANTHADAD on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 am

Here are some of the answers to your questions ....

Why is BG not in the Chick-fil-A Tournament?

Simple answer ... they were in the tournament for many years, and the school decided last year they wanted to go somewhere different. Supposedly in Keene. Now lets see ... I'm a parent of a player ... where would I much rather spend my holiday? Traveling back and forth to Keene to watch my son play, or stay in Nashua at the Chick-fil-A? Good tournament ... good competition ... in your backyard. Oh well.....

Where did New Dorp go?

Coach Tony Rafaniello retired from New Dorp as both a coach and school administrator. He took the head coaching job at Moore Catholic. He is also now the AD at Moore Catholic. The tournament requests team commitments in the Spring, to allow enough time to find a replacement team(s) over the summer if necessary. The tournament felt an obligation to New Dorp. They could not commit in the Spring, because the replacement coach would not be hired until the Fall. Both sides agreed that it was best if New Dorp pursued other tournament opportunities once a new coach was hired. "Coach Raf" loves coming up to NH, and requested the opportunity to fill the spot vacated by New Dorp. The tournament enjoys having Tony come up with his teams. He always brings very competitive teams up to NH. The slot was offered to Moore Catholic, and they accepted. Thus, the story of where Moore Catholic came from ...

Some other info ... Thornton Academy plays in the Maine Large School division ... similar to our Class L. They won their state title last year. A great pickup for the Chick-fil-A Tournament to attract this level of team. It should be noted that they replaced Trinity who backed out in the Fall after having made numerous commitments to return. One could argue that the team that was lost was replaced by a team that was equally competitive.

Hope this helps ...

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:54 am

Awesome info PANTHADAD...yes, agreed, Coach Raf is a stand-up guy, glad to hear he's coming back. I'm sure the kids enjoy getting out of Staten Island and bringing their game to the 'country' of New Hampshire.

Another note on Thornton, they have what NERR considers the #1 rated Junior, a 6' 5" PF Andrew Shaw. With a year of Varsity under his belt, the experience of winning a State title and another summer to get better...these guys will make some noise in Nashua.

I'm a bit bummed I won't be able to see S. Portland this year and Keegan Hyland who's a UVM (my home state) commit. I hear this kid shoots the lights out an there's nothing I enjoy watching more than a player with pure shooting form (not saying he does but if he shoots the way people say he does its a good bet).

Admin

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Website - BOOKMARK IT!

Post  PANTHADAD on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:55 pm

We are building a website for the 2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament. The link is as follows:

http://sites.google.com/site/nashuaholidaybasketball/

Over the coming weeks, we will populate it with news and info. Game scores and updated schedules and brackets will also be posted. The first round schedule is now posted.

Over and out ...

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty 2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Show Your Support!!!

Post  PANTHADAD on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am

Two weeks from tonight, day one of the 2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament will be in the books. We are hoping that it will be a great day of school boy basketball and family entertainment. We have some great matchups ... starting with Alvirne and Campbell. Hoping for a good turnout from the Hudson and Litchfield communities. Does anybody know if either of these teams have played in a sanctioned game before? This could be a first! Thornton Academy should be strong again, and any team coached by Tony Rafaniello (Moore Catholic) is going to play hard. North and South both take great pride in playing in their "shared" tournament, and will always come to play. Hollis-Brookline and Bedford can sneak up on anybody....

As I said, we have some fun things planned, such as: The Chunky's Cinema Pub Fan Zone and Hot Shot Challenge, an awsome raffle table and sports memorabilia, fun things for the kids, giveaways, great food, and most of all, "DA COWS"!

If you are a fan of schoolboy basketball, please come out and take in our tournament. We would really appreciate your support!

Check us out on the web: http://sites.google.com/site/nashuaholidaybasketball/

Over and out ...

PANTHADAD

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:34 am

Thanks PANTHADAD! We'd appreciate any game reports if you're memory can take regurgitating 4 games in one day. Something tells me it'll be a busy 4 days for you though...sounding like it will shape up to be a great tournament!

PS I merged all the Chick-fil-A Tourney threads so it's all under one topic.

Admin

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Be there or be square ...

Post  PANTHADAD on Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:33 am

The Chick-fil-A kicks off tomorrow at 3:00 pm ... Belanger Gym @ Nashua High South ... Alvirne vs. Campbell ... see ya there!!

Check our website for game updates:

http://sites.google.com/site/nashuaholidaybasketball/

Over and out ... and Happy New Year!

PANTHADAD

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:02 am

Wow, looks like all 4 games at the Chick-fil-a tournament were good games:

Nashua South 73 Bedford 70
Thorton Academy 52 Hollis/Brookline 4
Nashua North 60 Moore Catholic 55 OT
Campbell 57 Alvrine 54

Campbell beats Alvrine? Wow!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Chick-fil-A Day 1 - Some Thoughts....

Post  PANTHADAD on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:56 am

Day 1 is in the books. Anybody that made it over to South saw some great school boy basketball. Some observations:

Game 1: Campbell vs. Alvirne

Campbell plays great defense the entire game and goes back and forth the entire game with Alvirne. Final score: Campbell 57 ... Alvirne 54. Good turnout for the first ever Campbell/Alvirne clash. Nice way to start the tournament.

Game 2: Hollis Brookline vs. Thornton Academy

This game looked like a mismatch. Thornton Academy one their state championship last year, and is off to an excellent start this year. I believe that Hollis Brookline is in a rebuilding mode under Mike Soucey. Hollis Brookline hung tough but was clearly overmatched in the first have by TA. Second half ... totally different story for HB. They came out and took the game right to TA. Agressive defense and timely rebounding, coupled with hot shooting got HB right back into it, and it was a 2 to 4 point game for most of the 2nd half. TA can shoot the ball, and finally wore HB down. Final score: TA 52 ... HB 47. Hollis-Brookline should be very encouraged by the effort they put in against a very good TA team. Definately something that HB can build on....

Game 3: Nashua North vs. Moore Catholic

Another back and forth game that went into overtime. North went up by 2 with about 10 seconds left in the game, only to have Moore come down and tie it up with 3 seconds left. North was unable to capitalize at the end, and it went into overtime. Both teams played agreesive, pressing defense, and this carried into the overtime. It was a 2 point game into the last minute of overtime. North forced some mistakes by Moore, and the game ended with a final score of North 60 ... Moore Catholic 55.

Game 4: Nashua South vs. Bedford.

Let me start off by saying that Joe Kegler (Bedford coach) is doing a great job of building the program at Bedford. What a difference between last year. A nice team to watch. South is young, and having Jake Nelson out does not help. But, they play hard, agressive, pressing defense, and are extremely athletic. Another game that went back and forth, but Bedford enjoyed the edge in this one. Came down to the last minute and a half ... South made a few more plays than Bedford. Final score: South 73 ... Bedford 70. A great game to watch!

Here is the line up for tomorrow:

3:00 game: Alvirne vs. Moore Catholic
4:30 game: Bedford vs. Hollis-Brookline
6:00 game: North vs. Campbell
7:30 game: South vs. Thornton Academy

All games are at Nashua High South, and should be great matchups again.

Over and out...

PANTHADAD

P.S. Thanks to all who came out ... we appreciate your support to the tournament! For those of you who might have missed Day 1 ... hope to see you on Day 2!

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:09 am

Sounds like some good action over there today. Too bad the prelim round of this tourney is the same day as the championship round of the Manchester Tourney. I'll be at this tourney tomorrow and Wednesday though, that's for sure!

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:13 am

Panthadad - The Campbell - North game should be a good one. Alvrine still looks like they have to find their way. South has to weather the Nelson-Less Storm. Bedford could surprise some teams in Class I this season. Sounds like a fun night at Riverside Dr. gym in Nashua. I hope some QCIBTers can be some Chick-fil-a-ers tomorrow and Wednesday.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty QCIBT vs. Chick-fil-A: No Schedule Impact Here!

Post  PANTHADAD on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:55 am

All:

Unless I am mistaken, the championship of the QCIBT was Monday night ... Dover beat Memorial. No conflict with our schedule that I can see, so COME ON DOWN!

PANTHADAD

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:21 am

Yes, the championship games were today in the QCIBT. But today was also Day 1 of the Nashua tourney. So while for the most part the two tourneys don't overlap, today was the one day where they do overlap. Today folks had to choose between going to Manchester or Nashua. I was in Manchester all day today, and it sounds like I missed some good games in Nashua that were going on at the same time. It's all good, though. I'll be in Nashua tomorrow.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:43 am

Campbell is for real - not a big surprise they beat Alvirne, who is also for real. But what it does say is the lines are pretty close when it comes to ranking teams from Class I and L. Campbell could absolutely compete at the L level this year, and there's a couple I teams that would probably have a legitimate chance at winning the Class L tournament.

Sounds like HB played a nice game against a Thornton team that probably should win the Chick-fil-A tournament. Good to hear they played well after losing to Kingswood last week.

I expect Alvirne, Campbell, Thornton and Bedford to win today.

Admin

Back to top Go down

2009 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Chick-fil-A Game Notes: Day 1

Post  PANTHADAD on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:47 am

Courtesy of Gary Fitz from the Nashua Telegraph...

The day began with a pretty big upset and included four competitive games in the opening round of the Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament at Nashua South.

Class M Campbell advanced in the opener with a 57-54 victory over Alvirne and will play Nashua North in tonight’s first semifinal game at 6 p.m.

North rallied to knock off Moore Catholic of Staten Island, N.Y., 60-55 in overtime in Monday’s third game.

Perhaps the most intense game rounded out the evening with Nashua South outlasting Bedford. The Panthers will play in tonight’s 7:30 semifinal against Thornton Academy of Saco, Maine, a 52-45 winner over Hollis/Brookline in Monday’s second game.

NASHUA SOUTH 73, BEDFORD 70

Trailing 31-24 at halftime, the Panthers scored 49 points in the second half to beat the Bulldogs in a foul-plagued affair.

Freshman guard Caleb Joseph scored 23 points to lead the Panthers, who got 14 more from junior guard Nilsson Basora and 13 from sophomore Anthony Muccioli.

Nick Haskell and Brandon Cox had points each for the Panthers.

Tyler Weber had 26 points to lead Bedford. James Schappler and Max Hendricks had 11 each.

NASHUA NORTH 60, MOORE CATHOLIC 55

Javon Williams scored 18 of his team-high 20 points in the second half and overtime for the Titans, who rallied back from five-point deficits twice in the final three minutes of regulation.

Trevor Rancourt (17 points) had a big three-point play with 55 seconds left to tie the game. Alex Pratt (11) hit a jumper with 10 seconds left to put the Titans in front, before Moore sent the game into overtime.

David Acres had 23 points for Moore Catholic to lead all scorers on Day 1 of the tournament.

CAMPBELL 57, ALVIRNE 54

Josh Morgan had a team-high 15 points, including three 3-pointers, to lead the Cougars to the opening round upset over the Broncos.

Bobby Frappier added 14 points and have seven rebounds, including some strong work on the offense the offensive glass in the fourth quarter. Keil Canada added 11 points for the winners who got six points and eight rebounds from Jacob Lang.

Dave Skinner had 12 points in a losing cause for the Broncos, who got 11 points from Caleb Donnelly and 10 from Joe O’Hearn.

THORTON ACADEMY 52, HOLLIS/BROOKLINE 45

Trailing 27-18 at halftime, the Cavaliers rallied in the third quarter to make it close but Thorton, off to a 6-0 start in Maine, closed it out in the fourth quarter.

Thorton’s 6-foot-6 standout forward Andrew Shaw led the winners with 20 points, including four 3-pointers. Tomas Littlefield added 14 for the winners and James Ek had 12.

Brian Liamos and Dan Baerthlein led a balanced Hollis/Brookline attack with 10 points each. Miles Tobin added nine and Matt Haight had eight for the Cavaliers.

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum