New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

+3
goldenbear
Tulliver
Nashuaholidaybball
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are you planning on coming out to the Chick-fil-A tournament?

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Vote_lcap80%2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Vote_rcap 80% 
[ 4 ]
2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

Poll closed

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:33 pm

I just heard South beat North by 6 to win the championship.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Re: 2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  goldenbear Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:13 am

Yes Anthony M had a great game for South they got up big mid way through the second and held it until 5 minutes in the game when Williams caught fire and cut it to three.

Guathier picked up a t in the 1st half and sat for the rest of the game great move by the North coach considering all the T they got last year.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Rules....

Post  boxout Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:59 pm

To whomever posted the NHIAA rules for the one-game suspension. Great job doing your homework, saved me a little time. I think that this player could be suspended longer than one game. The school may also suspend him. I know it did not happen on the students school grounds. The school itself has every right to get involved, not sure they will, but they can. The school can get involved, because I am sure this player took a bus to the game, which is supplied by the school. I am sure this student was wearing a uniform with the schools name on it. Which is also supplied by the school. The school also paid for this athlete to play in this tournament.
I was once involved in a fight in HS and yes it was on school grounds. I got 5 days suspension. Not sure that this incident isn't worth at least a game and two day suspension from school.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:37 pm

Perhaps - but I think - just my opinion - they will keep it as is unless there is a complaint.

I didn't see it to witness how much of "a punch" it was as opposed to heated response in game that was already dealt with.

I say this not to excuse the kid at all but they'd need to show cause how it doesn't fall into double jeopardy.

Plus, no charges are filed.

Now - I say the above related to school sanctions for behavior.

Coach could do do more -but school officials might have a tough time "legally" from the wording of MOST codes of conduct.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty You are probably...

Post  boxout Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:23 pm

right. I will also admit that I didn't see the incident, but from what I read it was two punches. To me two punches is not a heat of the moment thing, it becomes intent.
I do agree that it will be your proposal.
However, I am trying to figure out what you mean by legally. What court system would back a student fight at a basketball game? Some judges might say big deal, other would way suspend for year. Don't all schools have a Code of Conduct policy? Many coaches also have unwritten Codes of Conduct, as a player you know them. I think the school can have a stricter Code of Conduct than the NHIAA's. If I am right, the NHIAA sets the standard and schools are to follow or even be stricter than the NHIAA Code. If you take the athletic component out of the equation, he is still a representative of the school, or better stated, a student. In my opinion, therefore he could be subject to school punishment. This may seem far fetched, but what if this were a HS student (a fan, a cheerleader, a band member) who attends the game, gets in a fight, gets thrown out of gym, and the school can do nothing? You maybe right, but that would shock me. I think the "can of worms" that could open is huge. If the currently policy is what you stated, and I agree with your interpretation of the rule, it amazes me there are not more fights. Especially in the stands.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Let's calm down ...

Post  Nashuaholidaybball Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:55 pm

I believe the coach and the administration know exactly how to handle the situation, and will handle it appropriately. The kid screwed up, and knows it. Let's not give this more legs than it deserves. I wish there was more discussion on the great games that took place at the tournament (North vs. South for example) as opposed to this one incident.

Nashuaholidaybball
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Agreed -

As I said - I don't think that it would (or should) go any further than coach.

However, like I said - I didn't see it.

As to why I mentioned the legality of enforcement of other rules - school districts must enforce rules based on the code of conduct fairly and judiciously.
To take an escalation of an athletic contest and discipline it like a fight would open them up to possible lawsuits.

And I want to re-iterate - I never said that I thought this should be anything more than the NHIAA suspension and a coach/player/parent course of action.
This was (I hope) an anomaly from a player who probably feels bad and will move on a better person and athlete from the experience.

Clearly - if a player often does this - a coach would want to take more restrictive action to protect players/team/school etc.

But - to quote Atticus Finch - "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view--until you climb into his skin and walk around it."

I am going to think positively that all will be handled fairly and at the lowest level for a positive resolution.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Tully: Perfect symmetry talking about a basketball fight and quoting a line from "To Kill a Mockingbird."

study study study

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:25 pm

Hey - whenever in doubt - just think....

What would Atticus do?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:38 pm

I'll remember that in the future.......Like in the New Year. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Atticus Finch also

Post  boxout Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:27 pm

stated that, "the best way to clear the air is to have it all out in the open." Figured I would use a quote as well.
I am not interested in what happened between Milford and Souhegan. I am interested in the rules interpretation. Not sure why I was told to calm down. I am only interested in the rules, fights happen. I agree that it is between the school, parents, coach, and player. Though I must admit that as an opposing coach and the victim of the punches, and his parents also have a stake in this. This is a serious matter, whether people want it to be or not. You can't just punch or punches at people in today's society. Some may even consider this a crime. I don't, but some may. A non-sports fan would say anyone who throws a punch over a meaningless basketball game, should not be playing sports. By meaningless I mean that basketball means nothing in the real world.
I would hope that the athlete in question does fell bad and has some remorse, however as Tully and Atticus stated, "you never really understand a person until you consider things from his point-of-view, until you walk around in his skin and walk around in it." Great quote and somewhat relevant, with that said can't we say that about everyone? I personally have no interest in walking in the shoes of Charles Manson, am I wrong to assume that he is a killer of innocent humans? Should I not judge Suddam Hussein because I never walked in his shoes? Is Gerry Sandusky a victim? I never walked in OJ or Nicole Simpson shoes either, should we all just to make sure he is guilty?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:47 pm

"Not sure why I was told to calm down."
boxout

Allow me to "climb inside" Nashuaholidaybball's "skin and walk around it." I will back up Nashua-H-Daybball and reiterate what was said:

"Let's not give this more legs than it deserves. I wish there was more discussion on the great games that took place at the tournament (North vs. South for example) as opposed to this one incident."

Well said Nashua-H-Daybball.

Happy New Year boxout Very Happy

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Happy New Year....

Post  boxout Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:35 pm

to you T&F, as well as GNG, BIgman44, Tully, and The Assistant as well. I enjoy reading all of your posts. I know that sometimes (most times), you guys get very frustrated with me. I sometimes feel the same way. I know I can be a contrarian, but so can you guys. I feel sometimes I am put in the contrarian position because I don't put sports before the real world, and on a sports forum, it isn't liked. I bet if the topics on this forum were discussed like front page news stories, you would see that I am not the contrarian, I maybe portrayed on this site. Many people feel the way I do, especially if they are not sports fans. My opinion may not be hushed all the time, if this wasn't just sports. Anyone ever read blogs on a news story in the Union Leader? It is not kind, and does get out of control. I feel that sometimes when it comes to athletics on this site, certain subjects are hush-hush. Ignore the fight, focus on the game. The game should be the lead story, however a fight occurred and the games take a backseat. Anyone remember who won the basketball brawl game with the Pacers and Pistons? How many points did METTA WORLD PEACE have that night? The point is many can't remember, but everyone remembers the fight. There are many incidents in history that have occurred that people had the opinion of covering it up, as we learn years later that was the wrong way to handle it.
Trust me on this I am a huge sports fan. I have nothing against any of your opinions, this is America. Again Happy New Year to all of you!!!

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty Just to clarify ...

Post  Nashuaholidaybball Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:07 pm

My only point was that over half of the posts in this thread concerned an incident, that in the end, was not really that big of a deal. There was some great games played over the 3 days of the tournament, and I wish that there had been more focus on the games, rather than the incident, rules interpretation, etc. That being said, no offense intended to anybody. It is good to see people passionate about schoolboy basketball. Happy New Year to all!

Nashuaholidaybball
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty 97-82 Pacers

Post  basketballtime Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:51 am

I actually remember that game quite well the Pacers won 97-82 Ben
Wallace had 19 and 10 Hamilton went for 20 for the Pacers and Artest yes i said Artest had 24 with O'Neal chipping in with 13 boards. One thing i don't recall is boxout being in the stands? By the way i wonder if boxouts fight he mentioned having in school was instigated by him or if he was the victim??? confused Happy New years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty re: pacers pistons

Post  boxout Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:16 pm

It is nice to see that some have learned how to use google. We all know you didn't come up with that box score on your own. I would also be willing to bet that some on this board are not even old enough to have seen the game. If you are around 22 or younger, I doubt very much you were watching the game. The NBA was at one of its lowest points in history, viewership was small. The Celtics were an afterthought.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Basketballtime and Boxout:

Last I checked it is a NEW YEAR full of resolutions and awakenings filled with the promise of better things to come......at least in my world.

In the world you two bantered back and forth in 2011 and are making an attempt to pick up in 2012 where you left off in 2011, I would like you two to remember the memorable words of Rodney King:

"People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...It’s just not right. It’s not right. It’s not, it’s not going to change anything."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Yes, he had some interesting posts, but he also had some controversial posts which turned some members, towns, coaches and teams off. We have been through the first month of the basketball season and there hasn't been one single controversial or inflammatory post about refereeing. The Forum is a lot less controversial this season and I for one enjoy it.

This Forum was created to give those in the sports community in NH a place to converse about their sport of choice.

Please abide by the following rules when posting:

1. No flaming, i.e. no blatant remarks of hatred, etc. on any other poster, player, team or school.
2. Be respectful, if you wouldn't say it to your grandmother, don't say it here, you won't last long.
3. Bring intelligent discussion to the table and enjoy this for what it is, individual opinion.

PS - Check your PM, clippafan.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2011 Chick-fil-A Holiday Basketball Tournament - Page 2 Empty If you have an issue with a post

Post  Tulliver Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:54 pm

If you have an issue with a post, please PM a moderator as opposed to "stirring the pot".

Re: Mr. Mitchell. He moved. It isn't like he was run out of NH by wild banshees. He made a life choice and is wished well.

Let's move on PLEASE.

Boxout - for what it's worth. If I witnessed what happened and say it as player throwing two punches, I think I'd agree with you.
My concern is that I didn't witness it.

Two or three years ago - I was at a game and a spectator complained a kid flipped off another kid. Filed a complaint. It wasn't a flip off actually, the kid's middle finger had been really injured and was at a different angle than the other fingers. So, I really won't judge things unless I witness it or there's tape.

If you want to talk about a hypothetical in another thread - I'm there. I just don't want what some call a punch and others do not to be attributed one way or another to the kid we discussed previously.

Now, let's start looking to Tuesday's games, shall we?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:50 pm

The solution is simple for those that don't like how the forum is run... Start your own. It is free. Www.forumotion.com
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2