@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament

Go down

Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:27 pm

I heard all 8 teams are back for the 2012 QCIBT held at Memorial High School:

Bow, Dover, Exeter and Merrimack in one bracket.

Central, Memorial, Trinity and West in the other bracket.

One would think there are 3 teams in this tournament that will be in a lot of fans' Top 4 for their pre-season picks in D1 boy's basketball.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Re: Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:47 am

Here's the schedule for the first day of play for the QCIBT on Dec. 26th:

3:00 pm Exeter vs Bow

4:30 pm Dover vs Merrimack

6:00 pm West vs Trinity

7:30 pm Central vs Memorial

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament Empty Re: Queen City Invitational Holiday Basketball Tournament

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:53 pm

New development with the QCIBT. Bow has pulled out of the tournament. Memorial tried to find a replacement team, but had no luck. I don't know exactly when Bow pulled out of the tournament. Memorial tried getting an out of state team also. Maybe, there's a silver lining to this recent cloud. If Memorial could get an out of state team next year to add a little spice to the QCIBT that would be great. In the 80s and 90s the QCIBT had some teams from Mass and RI.

The new schedule for Dec. 26th is:

Exeter receives a bye into the semi-finals. They were going to play Bow.

4:30 pm Merrimack vs Dover

6:00 pm Trinity vs West

7:30 pm Central vs Memorial

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:04 am

Burning all the crumpled wrapping paper in the fireplace, looking at the gift cards and "making a plan Stan" as Paul Simon would say and taking stock of the matchups to start the QCIBT:

4:30 pm Merrimack vs Dover. It will be interesting to see how Dimitri Floras is weaving his way into the Tomahawk basketball texture. He has taken his talents from Kimball Union back to South Beach Merrimack. In the pre season he said he'd like to be more of a point guard and set up mates as opposed to being the #1 scoring option. So far, if you've checked the 2 Merrimack box scores, it does seem this may be the case. His scoring is in the mid teens. Dover's Mike Leblanc is a good player, but not one who can put the inexperienced Dover squad on his back and lead them to an upset victory over the 1-2 punch of Floras/Gendron.

6:00 pm Trinity vs West. The point guard matchup takes center stage as it will be "what could have been" Travis Descoteaux going against "what will be" Ian Sistare. There should be some sparks flying in the 6 foot defensive radius between these 2 for most of the game. West does have an athletic trio in Aaron Martin, Carl Jacques and the aforementioned Descoteaux. Caleb Dolman is a player any upper echelon D1 team would love to have as a back up big coming off the bench. He's smart, uses his body well to make picks and has a knack of scoring off weak side put backs. The trouble is he has to start for West as opposed to coming off the bench. I see a close game early with West sending an emotional intracity emotional wave at Trinity. When the emotion dies down and the Trinity talent and size takes over it should be a comfortable win for the Pioneers.

7:30 pm Memorial vs Central. The most intriguing game of the opening night. You can't really say it's a must win for either team, but they are a combined 0 - 3 on the young season. They will both be in an ornery mood tonight and given there's probably been some pre game smack talking throught the omnipresent social networking devices teenagers have at their disposal now a days, I'm sure it will be an intense game throughout. Both teams are athletic and fast. The key will be Ortega and LaCount. While Central have these 2 proven scorers Memorial is still in the molding stage of finding who their go to scorers will be this season. This could tip the balance towards the Little Green.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Final Merrimack 59 Dover 51

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:33 pm

Surprise at halftime: West 29 Trinity 27

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:18 pm

Huge upset West beats Trinity 66 to 59 and it was no fluke ladies and gentlemen. West was the better team tonight and deserved this victory. They were the better team for 32 minutes.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Central beat Memorial in the last game of the night 52 - 41. Ortega, LaCount and Pelletier were too much for the inexperienced Crusaders.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:20 am

Merrimack 59 Dover 51
I missed the first half, but it was a tight game at halftime and Dover hung tough for the majority of the 2nd half. Floras had a spurt in the 4th quarter where he scored about 10 to 12 of Merrimack's 15 points when they went on a run to put the game away. Tyler Gendron was very quiet in the 2nd half. Merrimack didn't seem to play with a lot of energy and they let the Green Wave hang too close for a majority of the 2nd half. Leblanc came up firing blanks as he came up short on a lot of his shot attempts in the 2nd half. He missed a big dunk which could've swung some momentum towards Dover when they were down by under double digits in the 4th. Goody had a stylish blue and white polo on. It was absolutely the sharpest coaching shirt I've ever seen him wear. Did you catch Goody's shirt, Tully?

Central 52 Memorial 41
It was a close game at half and into the 3rd. Central pulled away in the 4th with too much Ortega, Brown, LaCount and Pelletier. Central is the more seasoned and experienced team and it showed throughout this game. Memorial is definitely hurt with the loss of 6'4 junior Tong Akat due to a foot injury. Memorial had no inside prescence and Ortega, Pelletier and Brown took advantage of that. It still amazes me when Memorial's 6'6 senior Majak Wenyin attempts 3 pointers. He shoots from his hip and does it so casually I almost expect him to yawn during the attempt. Senior Richard O'brien hit a couple of key shots to keep Memorial close in the 4th quarter, but the experience of Central was the key in the end.

West 66 Trinity 59

West 15 14 18 19 - 66
Trinity 11 16 20 12 - 59
No fluke or hocus pocus here basketball fans. West just flat out beat Trinity and was the better team tonight. Trinity was ice cold to start the game and they really didn't shoot well thoughout the game either. I think Trinity was lazy in this game mentally and physically they were definitely surprised by the quickness and length of West. Trinity forced a lot of passes that were gobbled up by the Blue Knights.

Jocal Bureau

I had to separate the above name because he was the MVP of the game. The 6'3 junior was a force all night slashing to the hoop and finishing. Trinity had no one that could handle him. I believe Bureau and Aaron Martin combined for around 43 of West's 59 points. With Martin and Bureau West definitely has a 1-2 athletic duo that can compete with anybody on a nightly basis. Carl Jacques hit some big 3's for West. The 5'10 sophomore is quick and elusive. If you want to talk about a player who gets the maximum from minimum it's 6'2 senior Caleb Dolman from West. You probably couldn't put a piece of cardboard between his feet and the court when he jumps, but Dolman uses his smarts and his body to compete on the court. He is enjoyable to watch and has a lot of....... GNG are you ready?........HEART. He could be one of my favorite players to watch this season. One of my favorite moments in the game was when Dolman held the ball beyond the circle at far sideline and pointed to 2 teammates to move to a different position. Dolman then hoisted up a 3 that almost went in. It's as if he was saying this 3 attempt was his reward for going against Lauderdale, Aluko and Gabriel all night.

For Trinity it was a tough night all the way around. Jake Hamel was their best player tonight. He hit around 3 to 4 three's and took care of the ball better than most Pioneers. Sistare looked like a FRESHMAN point guard tonight. His performance was a total 360 from his nice opening game against North. He threw cross court passes that were stolen and gave up the ball too many times against pressure. Giampetruzzi was ice cold all night. There was no magic to Pat Keefe's slashes. Lauderdale had a commendable game. Gabriel had a downright ugly performance. He had another severe case of miss-itis close to the basket. That's 3 games in a row he's had the miss-itis flu. Coach Keefe was very sedate tonight. It's as if he almost semi-enjoyed watching his Pioneers get knocked down a few rungs to teach them a lesson in humility after their first 2 easy wins over Dover and North. I think Trinity learned tonight press clippings and headlines don't win your next game or scare your opponent. You still have to earn it on a nightly basis.

On to the semis with Exeter playing Merrimack at 6:00 pm and Central playing West at 7:30 pm on Tuesday.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:14 am

This might be a first in the 49 year history of the QCIBT:

There was a technical foul in every game yesterday. In the Dover - Merrimack game a Merrimack player was given a technical for dunking the ball after a whistle and during a stop time after Merrimack had called a time out in the 2nd half. In the Trinity - West game a Trinity player was called for a technical for batting the ball away with a closed fist after a foul had been called on him in the 2nd half. A technical was given to a Memorial player or team ( Don't quite know yet) in the second half of the Memorial - Central game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:49 pm

I got the update on the third technical foul given in the memorial central game it was due to a bookkeeping error in the score book. A memorial player had the wrong number who participated on the court.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:23 pm

"Sistare looked like a FRESHMAN point guard tonight. His performance was a total 360 from his nice opening game against North."

T&F - Thanks for the nice writeups. If his performance was "a total 360", wouldn't he be right back where he started? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I hope his next performance is "a total 180" from yesterday's performance!

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Thanks Seacoastdad. As far as my comment goes for a total 360: If you had seen some of the cross court passes he made that were stolen by the West players and if you would have seen the decisions he made while being double teamed you would realize why I said a total 360 and back to the drawing board for point guard course 101.

Knowing Coach Keefe he will use the video or the plethora of mistakes that were made by Sistare and many of his fellow Pioneers in the West game and use it as a motivatinal learnng tool for future Trinity basketball games.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:56 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:Thanks Seacoastdad. As far as my comment goes for a total 360: If you had seen some of the cross court passes he made that were stolen by the West players and if you would have seen the decisions he made while being double teamed you would realize why I said a total 360 and back to the drawing board for point guard course 101.

Knowing Coach Keefe he will use the video or the plethora of mistakes that were made by Sistare and many of his fellow Pioneers in the West game and use it as a motivatinal learnng tool for future Trinity basketball games.

I definitely know the point you were trying to make; I guess my tongue-in-cheek jab at your use of geometry got lost in translation. No harm no foul. Smile Smile

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:09 am

Trinity beat Memorial in the consolation game of the day by about 19.

Merrimack beat Exeter 58 - 39. Matt Barr did not play for Exeter. He had a foot in a boot and was on the bench. This game was never in doubt.

West did it again. They beat Central 66 - 59. Aaron Martin had a huge night with 26 points. Christian Ortega had 17 to lead the Little Green.

I'll post more on the West - Central game on NHN. West will play Merrimack for the QCIBT Title Wednesday night at 7:30.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:42 am

One thing to watch in tonight's title game between Merrimack and West will be the individual matchups and how they play out with a 3 man officiating crew. The QCIBT does a 3 man officiating crew for the championship game. One would think the players will be able to play hard in a holiday title game and less calls to be made. This would favor West and their speed and quickness. The Blue Knights need to smother Floras and the Gendron brothers to win the title. Think of the delicious matchups tonight. Floras vs Jacques....Scrumptious. Martin vs Tyler Gendron....Succulent. Eric Gendron vs Jocarl Bureau....Delectable.

There is an argument with HS hoops fans on the nuances between a 2 man crew and a 3 man crew. Some say more tick tack fouls are called in a 3 man crew. If you watch the game tonight or a game that uses a 3 man crew watch the center official. There are times when the center official stays as center official for a lllloooonnnngggg time. Some would say it leads to quick whistle-itis because it hasn't been blown for a while. When Floras is at the 30 foot offensive mark and leaves the coverage area of the outside official the next 10 to 15 feet of action will be key. The West defensive pressure of Jacques, Pena or Bureau is needed to negate Floras' drives to the hoop or his dishes to set up mates. What level of "incidental contact" the West guards get to use on Floras in the 10 to 20 foot Blue Knight defensive area and the interpretation by the center official might be the key to this game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Our onsite reporter T&F reports that

West and Merry are tied with 5:30 to go

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:07 pm

Final Merrimack 57 West 54

Dimitri Floras hit a 3 with 7 seconds left in the game on an out of bounds play to give Merrimack a 55 to 54 lead. Jocarl Bureau was called for a charge with 2 seconds left on a potential winning slash to the hoop gor West. Tyler Gendron canned2 free throws to giv Merrimack the final margin of victory.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Jocarl Bureau of West won the sportsmanship award.

Dimitri Floras won the MVP.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:41 am

Floras had 20 points to lead all scorers. Tyler Gendron had 12.

Jocarl Bureau continued his D1 basketball 3 day coming out party in leading West with 17 points. Carl Jacques had 9 and Aaron Martin had 8 for the Blue Knights.

For all of you asking, "Who the heck is Jocarl Bureau and where did he come from?"......
..... Well, I heard tonight the 6'3 junior played on the freshman team at West 2 years ago. Last year he didn't play at all for West. This year he explodes onto the D1 scene via the QCIBT by doing just about everything for the Blue Knights.

My all tournament team:

Dimitri Floras - Merrimack
Tyler Gendron - Merrimack
Aaron Martin - West
Jocarl Bureau - West
Mabor Gabriel - Trinity

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum