New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

RAINY DAY GM

4 posters

Go down

RAINY DAY GM Empty RAINY DAY GM

Post  GNG Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:26 am

Disgusted and betrayed is how I feel about last years BOSOX. It seems like the fans wanted to win more then the players. If John Henry gave me the keys to the car this is who I would drive out of town.

NOT BRINGING BACK- Varitek- no longer deserves the C on his shirt. Bitter part time player. I hold him responsible for letting all that crap go on.
Wakefield- Thanks Tim, eating innings no longer needed.
Drew- nuff said.
Big Papi- I got enough lefties in this lineup, go to the yankees.
The above are free agents I am letting go

TRADING- Beckett- still has a ton of value. He would look great in a Cub uniform. I hope they have fried chicken in Chicago.
Youk- BITTER, AGING, AND INJURED. How about shipping over to his home town REDS.
Lester- has as much value if not more then Beckett. His attitude is as bad as Becketts.

CAPTAIN- DUSTIN PEDROIA. Plays the game the right way.
RESIGN- PAPELBON. Need a closer to win a title.
TEAR UP CONTRACT AND RESIGN- Jacobi. I realize Boras is his agent . I don't care. I want this kid in center field for the next ten years. I don't want him in a METS, OR CUBS UNIFORM.

I'll throw out some free agents later. I know this is drastic measures, but these are drastic times.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

RAINY DAY GM Empty Get Lackey out too.

Post  GNG Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 am

How did I forget that BUM. The worst of them all. I don't care if we have to eat two thirds of his contract. GET HIM OUT.

If you can't sign ELLSBURY LONG TERM, TRADE HIM.

How about this. Lester. youk, and ellsbury for KING FELIX, PINEDA, AND ICHIRO. Contracts are close enough to work. We would be getting 2 great young power arms, and a veteran who would be rejuvenated to be in this lineup. Ichiro didn't get 200 hits this season so I am sure they would be glad to move him. I like to think this would be one of those trades that both teams like.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

RAINY DAY GM Empty Re: RAINY DAY GM

Post  JAF Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:21 am

So, is your resume on the desk of the 3 amigos? I'm sure you can get some "character" references from those of us on this board Laughing

I think the Bosox problem is a product of those 3 amigos and their willingness to (over)spend on players that meet some numerical formula and pass a background check. Let's face it, numbers/statistics in this sport lie and so can character references. The RedSox picked up Lackey (and others before him) simply based on how he did against them. There's a reason beyond money that the Angels were OK with parting ways with him.

I agree with you on finding guys that want to play the game the right way (like Pedroia). Some will question Ellsbury's "desire" especially considering his injury year; however, I think he's proved that he's a valuable asset to this team and would be sure he's part of the future. Before the collapse he was a serious League MVP candidate. Flip the coin, let's consider "who" was making the noise about his intestinal fortitude when he was injured? Who was injured (or drunk) late this season and did not play because of it. I have to wonder what the impact of these "veterans" has been on those who got called up... What's the impact of the recent sniping in the paper? Who wants to be a part of that? At some level, how many are hoping to be traded?

The second thing the RedSox need to do is not fall overly in love with existing or long term players. It is a business and in the end while the fans may love Wakefield, Youkilis, Varitek, etc. those players don't have to pass the same numerical formula that free agent targets have to pass. It's like they keep them for insurance policies, but then have to play them because they've been around so long. They are part of the nation and mgmt has been fearful of backlash in letting them go.

While I'm speaking sacrilege things - did they really need to fix up Fenway Park? Now we're stuck with it... I was down on the waterfront a few weeks ago at Remy's place there thinking aloud about how we could have been standing outside the "new" <insert sponser here> Park after a baseball game... I went to the new Yankee Stadium this year - it was amazing. They really did a nice job making it look like the old one, but with all the creature comforts of a new stadium. They also have a brand new train station that drops you at the footprint of the old stadium - it was so easy to get in and out. If anyone has been to any of the newer stadiums in the last 5-10 years you know it's possible for engineers to (re)create any "ambiance".

I think it's time to see if the farm system is ready for RedSox Nation.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Sad to hear about that funky Halloween candy circulating in Merrimack, GNG, because that trade you proposed between the Sox and the Mariners is a head scratcher for sure scratch

Business expense: Do what ever you can within eating part of a contract requirements to jettison the slimy human known as John Lackey. What's funny is that I could see the Sox paying 5 to 7 mil/year of the Lackey contract to get him to a NL team and Lackey could very easily win 14 to 16 games in the NL. I was shocked to see Yankee cast off Ian Kennedy go 21 - 4 for Arizona this year. The NL is almost like a DH league for AL cast off pitchers, if you get my drift. Joel Pineiro was atrocious for the Sox in 2007. 2 years later he went 15 - 12 for the Cards while lowering his ERA 1.5 runs. Wouldn't it be something to pay 5 to 7 mil/year to get Lackey out of here and then watch him win 45 to 55 games in the NL the next 3 years while lowering his ERA 2 to 3 runs.

Youk: Before I make a move on Youk I find out where we're headed with Big Papi. The Sox just can't bid against themselves to get Papi back. If they offer him 8 mil for 1 year with a club option for the 2nd year, then fine. He is by far the highest paid DH in the AL unless you count Young DHing for Texas this year. The Yankees don't want Papi. It still bothers me Papi burst into a Tito press conference to complain about a non credited RBI by a scoring decision. That was Papi being a total me, myself and I tool. They have enough aging players to deal with. If Papi wants a 2 year deal at 20 mil plus then it's bye bye Papi.

So, if it's bye bye Papi, then make Youk your DH. If he recovers from surgery and that's a big if, he can be a respectable 15 to 20 HR, 75 to 85 RBI with an average around .270 to .280. I would take that. Him not playing the field every day will help out with not wearing and tearing his often injured body. When we play the inter league games, Youk could play back up 3rd and 1st.

Will Middlebrooks: Bring him up. Time to start getting hungrier, younger NO-ENTITLEMENT players on this roster. I've seen Middlebrooks play a few times at F-Cat Stadium. He reminds me of a young Scott Rolen. He is athletic and hits ropes all the time even when he makes outs. Bring him up and get younger and hungrier.

See ya V-Tek. Take the C shirt he wore and burn it on Yawkey Way. He failed miserably wearing it this year. He can't even throw out my 94 year old father at 2nd and my father walks with a cane.

Beckett: To me this is the most intriguing situation the Red Sox have. It's easy to say get rid of him along with his cases of beer and buckets of chicken, but it's not that simple. So, if you ship him off, who will replace him? CJ Wilson? I'm not sold on Wilson. He will benefit from a very weak pitching free agent market in the next couple of months. I don't want him to benefit off Bosox $$. He's 31 and only has a 2 year track record as a good starting pitcher, but not great. As I write this CJ just gave up the first natural cycle inning in post season history to the Tigers. Beckett's ERA was below 3 which is still excellent. Maybe, the Sox have a give away every time Beckett pitches next year. If he gets the victory bring your ticket to Wendy's to get a free order of chicken tenders.

I hate to say it, but it's bye bye Wake. I can't believe he came out with the "Red Sox fans deserve" comment at the end of the collapse. He was one of their best bargains the last few years for what he produced on the mound. It did seem his paunch followed the same fate as the Fried Chicken Trio of Lester, Beckett and Lackey.

I have no qualms with going with a platoon system in RF to replace the scorned JD Drew. Either 2 young kids platooning or a kid and vet signing.

NO NO NO to signing Pujols or any other big name contract player. Unless it's ready made pitching spend the money on key quiet signings for guys like the Millers, Millars etc of yore. Guys that will play hard, be professional and call baseball babies on the carpet.

And for God's sake; no freaking beer allowed during games. You get hungry then have a power bar with a muscle milk.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:02 am

The thing that ticks me off the most is the prima donna attitude that alot of these knuckleheads have. They don't realize how great they have it in Beantown. I am this close to saying I am done with them. THIS CLOSE.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 am

I used to go to 8/10 games a year 2000 to 2008. I cut that down to 4 to 6 games the last 3 years. I am really going to be in a wait and see mode before I make a decision to attend next season. The biggest thing for me will be culture changing before talent changing. The toughest thing is spring training comes up and it seems like every thing starts fresh, but if there's still lingering acidity left over from the 2011 season, then it'll be F-Cat attending as opposed to Red Sox attending.

Go on the Sox web site and all you see is ads for destinations, bricks and Sox gear. Maybe, they should have some sub links on their site on how to be a better person, team mate and a true man.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 am

My wife just asked me "Are you more upset about the players drinking in the clubhouse, or the players that did steroids"? She remembers how ticked I was at Clemens.

Steroid use- they were cheating the game, but at least they were looking to get better.

Beer drinking,chicken eating,video game playing during the games- Cheating the game ,but in the other direction. "fat,lazy,drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life son".

I guess I would rather have a guy on steroids. Never thought I would write that.

Last edited by GNG on Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 am

T@f, WE PROVED LAST SEASON WE CAN HAVE A BALL AT THE FISCHER CAT GAMES.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:58 am

Kind of puts accomplishments from guys like Ruth, Maris, Mantle, Gerhig, etc. into perspective huh?

Steroids and/or HGH does more than cheat the game... Eating and drinking on the other hand has been part of the atmosphere for a far longer time. I don't agree with doing it during the game, but I think it's a bit more "normal". Gotta wonder how Bobby Jenks eats a whole freaking chicken - yet another reclamation project gone bad for the RedSox.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  bb603 Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:39 pm

If I'm the owner of the Red Sox then Chicago only gets Theo if they take Lackey and his full salary.

I'll even give them a break and take Zambrano back and pay his salary.

One year of a bloated salary for a bloated Big Z is better than 3 years of Lackey.

Lackey can invite Theo to the clubhouse for chicken and beer during the game.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum