@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Souhegan's Situation

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Souhegan's Situation - Page 2 Empty No Anger...

Post  boxout on Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:58 am

at all. I am actually laughing at your post. I find that you joining this site less than two months ago shows me that you haven't read anything in the past from Souhegan High School, parents, players, or coaches, in regards to the Thanksgiving day games. I am new to this site and I joined almost 2 years ago and have never seen SHS complain about T-day games. You do know that SHS has the right to not play in Thanksgiving Day games. They are not forced by anyone so they can back out at any time. So for you to say they hate the game seems ignorant. Now I am not a SHS grad, and I am also against Thanksgiving Day games. First it is a huge waste of tax payer dollars, for games that are absolutely meaningless. The thing NH residents and the NHIAA will learn in the future is that some day down the road, some kid will play in those games and get seriously hurt. Maybe even be a scholarship athlete blowing out his ACL, in a meaningless game. NH should do what MA does, add one more week to the schedule or even delay the season a week in the beginning, and have the playoffs or championships on Thanksgiving, what better way for families to get together. If the NHIAA wants to keep the current system, then I suggest that Thanksgiving Day games have no Seniors playing. Last I knew a State Championship means more than a Thanksgiving Day win, so the fans of SHS that you complain about are right.
But again seeing you are a newbie on this site and are clearly upset with the SHS program, you just showed that you are as bad as the parents, players, and coaches you complain about. You are doing the exact same thing, my mother use to say, Two wrongs don't make a right.
I do believe that you would love to play the game again and I can respect that, however these kids play more games than you ever did. The regular seasons are longer. I am not sure what program you support, nor does it matter, but lets just say you are a Merrimack fan and Merrimack is undefeated and heading to the playoffs, they have a meaningless game in between. Are you going to send your best player out there to get hurt, so he can't play in the playoffs? Souhegan did what any winning program does. Are you also saying that in a 55-0 game that both teams starters should be in there? The goal is to as you say, let this kids play. Well keeping starters in will not allow the JVers any time to play Varsity. Now that would be a shame.
As far as Milford goes, yes they should change their offense. Much like you I would like to see more kids involved, see we have the same goals. The three yards and a cloud of dust didn't work and hasn't in years, so try something else. Makes all the sense in the world. As far as you driving by the school and seeing how big Milford's O-line is, boggles me. Milford practices about 50 yards away from the nearest road, and from that distance you can't tell a TE from a D-Lineman or an O-lineman. Now numbers wise the O-Line looks great, always a 100 yard rusher, only problems with that is Milford gets a hundred yard rusher and loses by 20. That to me is not that great of a line. When you continue to run and you are losing by two or more scores in the 4th, you are playing right into the Defenses philosophy. Take all the time you want Milford to score. Not too mention Milford is horrible in the red zone and worse from 5 yards out.
The pro players were examples of players who are not athletes, but were terrific in their sports. I also consider Vince Wilfork an athlete, but many people would not. Would you call David Wells an athlete? You can think Tom Brady is over rated and that maybe the silliest thing you have posted. The guy is headed to the HOF, unanimous as well. How many records does the guy have to set for you to believe he is not overrated?
I also am not sure Milford is playing their hearts out, I think many players have given up. Which was evident last Friday night. Kids from Milford throwing their helmets and walking off the field during the game. As Albert Einstein use to say, "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result." We will never know if Milford would have been better to change their offense, because they didn't. But I think to get more kids involved they should change their offense and focus on next season. Their featured backs are Seniors, and sometimes I wonder if that is the only reason why they don't change their offense. Don't want to upset the Senior class.
Again I ask, when was the last time Milford won a playoff game? Better yet, when was the last time Milford won a Division III playoff game?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Souhegan's Situation - Page 2 Empty Re: Souhegan's Situation

Post  JAF on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:32 am

Um, boxout, those complaints about T-Day games between SHS and MHS may not specifically be on this site, but they are not a figment of anyone's imagination - they are real. You do realize that this site isn't the "only" blogging site... A former SHS player who usually goes by the moniker "Adude" wherever he posts was usually the first and most vociferous complainer about the T-Day game. "Back then" (hah - 2-3 years ago) the complaints were found in the UL and NH Notebook blogs most frequently. On the UL site Adude went by a different name - his first name if I've done my sleuthing correctly. He now plays at Duquesne and his argument(s) usually was (were) that "all" the SHS players players hated to play a "meaningless" game against MHS 4 days after winning or playing in a State Championship game.... The words in quotes are paraphrases and are not his actual words, rather they are close approximations. My oldest son always said he was very happy to not have to play against a Nashua team 4 days after BG was in the State Championship game. Beyond the recovery period for the body (he was a lineman) and having to be up and at the field early, the game was "meaningless" for one team while the other team was chomping at the bit to "prove" something.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Souhegan's Situation - Page 2 Empty JAF...

Post  boxout on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:57 am

I 100% agree with you. I am not saying that the complaints are not legit, about SHS complaining and specifically ADUDE. But what is happening is people are bringing new arguments into this forum. I repeat the no one from SHS has complained on this site about T-Day games. So this person EIR decides he is going to post about a subject that was never even brought up on this site. That to me is childish. Clearly this person can't let something that happened two years ago get to them. To me it looks like he is doing the exact same thing he is complaining about. He decides that he will post about SHS on a post that was never mentioned here. I did read about Merrimack players actually doing back flips after scoring in a meaningless game last year.
I also feel that ADUDE is one person, EIR stated that it is parents, players, and coaches. That means everyone who is related to SHS, that simply is not true.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  D3Fan84 on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:45 pm

Not for nothing, but this is going to be the first year Milford misses out on the playoffs since rejoining D3. Lets not overreact to one year. If the biggest complaint you have for Milford's offense is "they can't play from behind" maybe the problem lies with why they are constantly playing from behind against good teams. If you are losing by 20, regardless of what the offense does, you probably aren't playing good defense.

D3Fan84
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm

03 Season- D4 Champions (04 Class) Strictly Wishbone
04 Season- D3 Runner-Ups (first year in d3) (05 Class) Strictly wishbone
05 Season- D3 Quarterfinals (06 Class) Strictly Wishbone
06 Season- D3 Quarterfinals (07 Class) Strictly Spread
07 Season- D3 Quarterfinals (08 Class) Combo Of Spread/Wishbone/Flexbone
08 Season- D3 Quarterfinals (09 Class) Differed due to injuries but flexbone and spread
09 Season- D3 Quarterfinals ('10 Class) Wishbone/Flexbone
10 Season- D3 Quarterfinals ('11 Class) Wishbone/Flexbone
11 Season- Missed playoffs ('12 Class) Wishbone/Flexbone

So the last time they did win a playoff game it was in the Wishbone and it was strictly the wishbone, those years they had good enough athletes though to run option they don't have that this year and didn't last year either. This is the first year since being in D3 that Milfords missed the playoffs and I don't recall the last time they missed the playoffs. And prior to Coach Jones Milford football was a joke, (i'm talking after MASH) so clearly he's doing something right with the Wishbone/Flexbone. This year they didn't have the athletes to run the bone so Boxout you think they had the athletes to run the Spread? They didn't have an I back to run that, Baycity T? Nope considering it's a lot like the bone just different blocking schemes and more misdirection. Wing-T they tried a little did it work? No. You can't be serious thinking they could run anything else than what they tried to do this year, give me an offense you could see them running this year didn't have the athletes to do it. I'll admit going into the season thought they could get away with great line play and just pounding the rock, and I guess I thought there backfield would do a little more they clearly weren't the athletes I thought they were.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:31 pm

FootballForLife wrote:

My only question is what's a sniffer?

Footballforlife a sniffer is a RB that is used solely for blocking, generally very close to the offensive line rarely if ever touches the ball.

Back to top Go down

Souhegan's Situation - Page 2 Empty Thanks Bigman

Post  boxout on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:08 am

Thank you for answering my question. I am assuming by the numbers and seasons you put up, you are telling me that Milford is 0-6 in the last 7 years in the playoffs, and of course they won't be playing one this year. Now not that that is anything special, we could break it down even more, how many of those 6 losses were by 12 points or more? See in DIII there is rarely an upset in football. When was the last time a #3 or #4 seed won it all? So maybe just making the playoffs isn't as big a deal as some make it out to be. I never said the coach should be fired or anything closely resembling that, all I asked is if the game can pass a coach bye. I believe you were part of the DIV 'ship team. Congratulations, I am being serious too. But, as you know we are all getting older and to be honest 8 years ago is a lifetime in football, and you can see by your post that the team is slowly regressing, not progressing.
As far as strictly running an offense, the word strictly is too strong. They run other formations than just the Flexbone and Wish, I have seen the I as well. They could run other offensive schemes, maybe some shotgun or pistol formations, which I have seen, but they usually wait until they are way down to run these offenses. I never also stated that Milford needs to revamp their entire offense, but changes do need to be made. You are basically telling everyone now that this Milford team has no talent, though earlier in the year you were talking playoffs. See if they have no athletes, why even suit up? They actually have quite a few athletes, they just don't have football players. Just because you put a uniform on, doesn't make you a football player or an athlete, especially at the HS level. I would call TE Ben Smith an athlete and a football player. They could have used him more, running more two tight end sets. But I guess they needed his blocking? Ben is a big boy and tough to bring down. Decent hands as well.
DIIIfan, theoretically you are correct that you could blame the D in that Milford is always down twenty. The only problem is that Milford had a problem with fumbles, tough to blame a D when the offense is turning it over. As we all know, the more the D is on the field the better the chance the O will score. Milford also was well below average in the Red Zone, and worse from 5 yards out. So instead of scoring Milford would get nothing and the D is back on the field. I also thought that Milford should have kicked more FG's this year, just to put some points on the board, knowing full well that you have an offense that struggles within 5 yards. Do you know how many times Milford failed within 5 yards this year? It is a number that I would hate to even guess, but I would say ten or twelve potential scoring possessions resulted in nothing. There was one game Milford had 8 snaps on one possession inside the 10 and came away empty handed, you could just see the balloon deflate. People don't like FG's but they can add up.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:57 am

With you, I have to completely clarify everything or you call me out lol. They do have athletes, what I meant is the athletes they have didn't turn out to be what I thought they'd be, and clearly weren't on the level of the rest of the division aside from Joe Albina so when I said playoffs earlier in the season I was expecting things that never really happened and as I said in another post probably held onto hope for a little to long.

And I can clarify on formations a little more in those years. The championship year-05 it was wishbone 99% of the time. 06 Season was pretty much strictly Spread, Ace, Trips a little open double slot, Dueces, and then bone about .05%. 09 Season they came out flexbone/wishbone went to power I going into the Souhegan game and stuck with it. From there on out it's mainly wishbone/flexbone, I only said strictly those first few years. They do mix in lots of different formations now they even have open double slot back in... I thought it worked one game briefly, other than that it was a disaster but they never really went to it to do anything but pass I never saw a designed run out of it once, and they mixed it in at odd times or when they were down big so it's hard to evaluate it fairly.

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:26 am

I wasn't trying to be childish I was just clarifying for you why people mention Souhegan specifically when they talk about the games that "don't count." And I would like to ask you a question now. If the offense that Milford is running is letting the game pass the coaches by, what would you prefer they run considering their lack of team speed.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:58 am

Boxout I remember all the scores from each of the playoff games in that span, the last two under 12 would've been the 07' season, followed by the 08' season.

As for Ben Smith he could be used more, but the problems with that is they have to have someone to get him the ball. Not one of there 3 qbs throw the ball well, now can they throw the ball some what, ya but not well enough to make Smith an impact player on this years team. He also has been hurt for something like 3 or 4 games also hurts him.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum