New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Rivier Fall League Oct. 11th

4 posters

Go down

Rivier Fall League Oct. 11th Empty Rivier Fall League Oct. 11th

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:14 pm

Wow, the other side of the basketball fence looks pretty nice. I wanted to see the new digs where Tully and the Asst. have been hanging out.

I went to the Riv Fall League yesterday for the first time this season and saw some good hoops, especially the Memorial vs. South game. It seems like the intensity is starting to be more like winter intensity as opposed to summer intensity. The Memorial - South game had a lot of chippy hard nosed play. There was one very interesting play where an intentional foul was called on a defender who was playing C. Fitz. By rule it's 2 FTs and the ball inbounded nearest to the place where the intentional foul happened. The refs started administrating the 2 FTs which C. Fitz was taking. The problem was that it was at South's hoop and not Memorial's hoop. The int. foul took place near the South hoop. As fans were yelling it was the wrong hoop C. fitz buries both FTs. The 2 officials get together and realize that C. Fitz just shot the 2 FTs at the wrong hoop. The refs took C. Fitz down to the Memorial hoop and had him shoot the 2 FTs again, which he proceeded to bury again. After this the ball went back 84 feet for Memorial to inbound it in their base line back court. A bizzare happening for sure. Sometimes, fans forget that while the players are working the kinks out in Fall League, that the refs are working them out also.

Here's some thoughts on the Oct. 11th games at RFL:

BG beat a Alvrine by about 25. Alvrine didn't have O'Hearn and Donnelly.

The best game of the day and possibly the best game so far in the Riv FL was South beating Memorial by 4 in OT. The game was close from the opening tap with both teams trying to impose their will defensively on each other. Memorial had a chance to win it at the end of regulation and a chance to tie or win at the end of OT and both times South took away these chances with excellent defense by cutting off any passing lanes and taking away any dribble penetration. The things I took away from this game were:

1) South will create havoc defensively for a lot of teams this season with their overall team quickness and speed.

2) Jake Nelson is one of the only players in L that can make 3 - 4 good plays on one offensive possesion. On one possesion he cross overed and lost his defender (1), sent a smooth pass weak side to mate(2), mate takes shot which misses and Nelson gets in prime position and grabs rebound over a Crusader forward (3), puts up a shot which doesn't go in and fights for the rebound which starts going out of bounds which Nelson leaps from in to out bounds in air and tosses the ball off a Crusader to retain possesion for South (4). I was in amazement that Nelson controlled the whole 20 second possession and made these 4 distinct good plays within that time frame - Amazing.

3) Cortez made a couple of athletic smooth drives to the basket for South driving by and around 3 or 4 Crusaders.

4) There might be a new book coming out to replace Where's Waldo? It could be entitled Where's Scurry. He has been a significant no show in RFL and this fall and was supposedly to concentrate on basketball, which is why he didn't play football. Crusader faithful can only hope he's reading basketball books and watching basketball videos because he sure isn't running up and down an 84 foot court this fall.

5) There are a lot of If's for the Crusaders heading into the season. One thing you can bank on is Shomari Morgan having a solid game night in and night out. He will have at least 3 to 5 strong finishes per game with an And 1 sprinkled in. He'll probably have 1 - 2 put backs on weak side. Fitz might be off on his 3's from game to game, Couture might have to handle the ball more than score it or Edhem might be in foul trouble early, but Shomari will be putting up solid numbers just about every game.

Central gave new meaning to the term "Skeleton Crew" by losing to Trinity by 40 plus.

Groton defeated North by a couple in OT in a game that had highly charged emotions in the second half. There was a shoving/foul/verbal altercation that took place in front of the North bench that needed to be sorted out by refs, players, coaches and administrators for a few minutes in the last few minutes of the game.

Dover defeated a 6 man Merrimack crew by 12. Burt started out the game on fire which put the Tomos in a hole early. A. Floras had a nice game with numerous angular drives to the hoop with finishes and And 1's.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Rivier Fall League Oct. 11th Empty Re: Rivier Fall League Oct. 11th

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:18 pm

These fall leagues can be tough (I've coached several times at Riv)...most teams don't bring a full squad (see Central per the usual) and kids really just aren't in the right mental state for Basketball quite yet. Of course their is plenty of exceptions but all in all it really is hard to tell what the season will bring.

That said - sounds like BG AND South have it going early, and we all know it's never to early to get excited for the season and check out an afternoon of hoops - especially on a day when the Red Sox end their season miserably and Pats give one away one the road...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:55 pm

And welcome, T& F, to the spacious new digs!

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Thanks Tully. I feel I'm resting on a wrap around sectional with a HS basketball game playing on a 70 inch HD LED screen. What a thought. Coach Goody and Moe B. on a 70 inch HD screen - just spectacular !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:27 pm

I can almost feel the seat from Goody's shirt.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 pm

If a HS game was broadcast in HD and Moe was refereeing his whistle would like nice and shiny, just like an unused whistle straight from the Fox 40 package.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Oh, T&F you're being reinstated (along w/Tulli) as a moderator - feel free to figure how to do stuff if you choose...

I am sheepishly watching football on a 46"... cyclops
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:29 pm

Although they were playing against a depleted Central team, Trinity had all of their key players and will also be a top team. Not many teams can beat their top 6 players (Madol, Hayden, Stevens, Duffley, Kesty and Aluko).

South has certainly impressed over the last two weeks, with close wins over Dover and Memorial. And they did it without Basora both games, and without Kaleb Joseph this past Sunday.

Good point about Scurry. Add him to the list of "If" players. Players where the success of their teams will depend largely on "If" they play. That list also includes Harry Knowles and Kyle Ratcliffe (Winnacunnet), Tucker Munroe (Exeter) who has been out with a knee injury, Sean Moyen (Alvirne) who may or may not be fully recovered from his injury in time for the season, Kevin Rosenberg (North) who may or may not be recovered from his injury in time for the season and Matt Sanborn (Londonderry). I heard Sanborn wasn't playing and Coach Zorbas was taking a year off from coaching. And Richard Valentin (West) who according to Coach Carey is off the team.

Top 6 teams right now are BG, Memorial, Trinity, Alvirne, Dover and South. You can argue which order they belong in. Add Winnacunnet to that list of Knowles and Ratcliffe are back on the team.

Last edited by Jeremy Leveille on Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks Asst.

"Reinstated" ? I hope fellow HS basketball fans don't get the impression I did something wrong, LOL. People will think I'm like an MLBP who just got reinstated after a ban from steroids. Of course you and Tully know I'm not a blogger on steroids.

Jeremy, after watching HS basketball for a while I could make up an unbelievable All Star team of players that never put in the work, had attitude or academic issues and couldn't last a whole season or couldn't do 2 - 3 years at varsity level. On the other hand you have the kids who have to bust their tail on and off the court to be the 8th, 9th or 12th man on a team. I'm sure most if not all coaches would rather have "be there" players than "If" players any day of the week.

I still think Londonderry can work their way into the top mix. I don't know who would replace Zorbas for the Lancers, but Ken Stewart has been an asst. coach there for the last few years. He's one of the best players ever at Londonderry . He was a hard nosed intense player during his playing days and would carry on the Zorbas style without skipping a beat.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:06 am

I didn't know I was even instated but... okay...

I don't think Memorial is going to sink or swim based on Scurry whatsoever.
I have every confidence that Coach Fitzpatrick will be sorting through his bag of tricks to address the strengths and weaknesses of his team and ALL of Class L.

Trinity obviously made out well with the transfers of Duffley and Hamel, but the great thing about this season is so much parity.

Central game scheduling will be a BIG challenge this year and hopefully fans will not be discouraged having to travel to different venues as needed. However, that will mean MORE nights of Class L hoop action since a Tuesday and Friday schedule for most of the season is pretty much impossible.

Will we be getting a new Winnie? Or just renaming

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:03 am

Oh yea...new winnie, all the fixins'. And yea Tulli, I hadn't seen mrcoach around and you are as good a canidate as any to help moderate the board. Sorry I should have PM'd (private messaged) you to ask first, if you're not up for no biggie. You should be able to edit others posts, etc. Basically just need another set of eyes to make sure people are talking negatively about players/coaches/posters (um...and moe:P) and not swearing, etc.

I agree with your parity comment, there really doesn't appear to be a clear cut #1, or #2 or #3 for that matter this year. I think it's going to be an exciting year with a lot of close games...I personally like Winny (I think Ratciffe/Knowles play - pure speculation), Alvirne (from what I've heard Sean Moyen is hoping to play - a little less than pure speculation) Nashua South and Trinity...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:06 pm

Mediating is fine and I'm up for it...

I agree with your thoughts but I think Memorial is a big contender and there are teams like Dover who will surprise and Merrimack I heard had a GREAT game at Riv a week or so ago. Small mistakes have the potential to be game changers, if this season goes as I see.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:17 pm

No question that Memorial will be a top contender, but they could have one of the wildest swings in Class L. I respectfully disagree with you Tully about Scurry. With Scurry, Memorial is a no doubt top 4 team in Class L. With out him a lot of "Ifs" are present for their front line. They have a lot of serviceable bigs, Edhem, McLean, Landry and possibly a return by Koester. Scurry can give them 10 to 16 points, 8 to 12 rebounds and a couple of blocks most nights. The aforementioned big men, not named Scurry, might struggle to combine for all of Scurry's numbers on any given night or they could be in foul trouble, not putting up points etc. Without Scurry it wouldn't surprise me to see Memorial finish 3rd to 5th and it wouldn't surprise me to see them finish 6th to 9th also. They have so many questions that need to be answered. Can C. Fitz put up numbers without the benefit of Jordan L? Can Couture score when having to handle the ball against pressure 20 to 30 minutes/game? Can Edhem win the mental battles in the paint along with the physical battles? If there's any coach that can answer these questions it's Coach Fitz. I'm just saying that Memorial's challenge to replace the heart, soul and skill of Chevy from last season will be a lot easier if Scurry toes the line and buys into the Crusader system.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:24 pm

Really good point T&F on whether Fitz can get looks w/o JL driving and dishing to him - I'm going to leave the Memorial banter to you guys though, as much HS hoops as I see, and have seen in the last 6 years (since I've been on the scene) the Crusaders are one team I seem to have missed...

I do know this though - CF can get his shot off...from distance. He will spread defenses, whether somebody is driving to the hole or not to dish to him. HE will create offense for other players b/c the defense will need to extend to his range 25-28 ft. from the basket. CF doesn't need 2 seconds of space to shoot the ball, he's got a nice, compact stroke, that enables him to shoot with defenders in his face.

Remember as well, Couture now has CF to help handle the ball for him - I think the 2 of them will have no problems against pressure.

All that said - Replacing a Chevy is no easy task, but you can rest assured, the conversations in the Fitzpatrick household this offseason have centered around answering just that question. Basketball
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:26 pm

wait...weren't we talking about the riv fall league??? Laughing
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin