@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

BG Timberlane

Go down

BG Timberlane Empty BG Timberlane

Post  E.I.R. on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:00 am

Well despite a 27-6 victory, the Cards have little to cheer for. Fahey went down in the 3rd quarter and it looks bad.

Positives for the BG Boys:
215 yards running the ball and 20 points from your offense isn't too shabby against a tough team like Timby. The offense wasn't terrific the first half, but they weren't helped by 2 or 3 fumbles on big runs that cost them drives. At the end of the first half they put a nice drive together, they just ran out of time, but still managed to go in at halftime up 13-6 due to a Fahey throw and Mailloux run for scores. Speaking of Mailloux, good running from him, looked a lot tougher today than last week.Defensively I was critical of Boudreau last week, and man did he answer. Tipped several balls, made some nice tackles, and I believe he had one of their interceptions. Lansing played another exceptional game in my opinion, and Kiczuk stepped up on some big plays in the 2nd half. Chartrand at safety blew his coverage on goal line for the score, but that ticked him off and he started knocking heads. I thought one of the guys he was going to hit would stay down.
Brody Smith. Hasn't been thrown at on defense yet, so can't say anything about his coverage abilities other than that he scares of any and everyone looking to throw. The real story with this kid was the kick return though. 92 yards, several nice cuts, and a devastating stiff arm to break free and run for the score. He also played runningback and had a nice run at the end of the game to set up a 30ish yard TD run by Jim Carver (another good game on defense).
Defense--another solid game. That's all that can be said really.
Offensive Line owned the defense to start the second half. 10+ play drive to go 70 yards and score, just tough nosed football. Took 8 minutes off the clock too, and ran nothing but straight dive plays. Very impressive.

Negatives:
The injury. Whether it's as bad as the BG-Timby injury last year (Mike Kelly ring any bells) remains to be seen but it is bad. Fahey left on crutches, although I think Vailas looked good out there in his stead.
Fumbles--One by Boudreau (I think this kid's potentially a stud on D but I don't see him at FB) and another by Cornell and Mailloux, all three at the tail end of 6+ yard rushes.
Coaching Adjustments--Timby went to a 6-2 defense, and BG continued to run up the middle into the teeth of the attack (#78 for Timby was VERY good at NG and in the 6-2 they stacked the center on both sides). It also led to some mismatches pass blocking, as 5 guys tried defending 6 rushers. The play Fahey went down was a pass after the ball was thrown. the end (#51) went straight for his ankle. Should have seen a flag, but the refs hate BG, and they got no call...so what's new? Anyways, coaching staff didn't add a blocker up front or start running to the outside until the last drive, where they ran a sweep with Smith for 25-30 and then a trap for a 30 yard Carver score.Maybe if the adjustment had been made earlier or they had better (*cough* bigger *cough*) linemen out there, Fahey lives to play next week.

Anyone else have thoughts on the game?

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please refrain from personal comments about players, coaches, etc.)

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG Timberlane Empty Re: BG Timberlane

Post  JAF on Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:46 am

I thought the line play in the first half was just awful. The only reason BG got a long drive was because Timby dropped 3 safeties deep and played prevent. From what I heard after the game from someone doing the chains - the Timby coaches were able to tell their players who was getting the ball on most possessions in the first half. Sure BG ripped off a couple of good runs, but it seems every drive was killed by a fumble. The second half seemed to bring out a different BG team and offense that as one former coach observed was eerily similar to last years. I think BG adjusted their blocking schemes, tightened up their gaps, and they went double tights and started running the option pretty much exclusively. Whether Timby expected that or not who knows. The one long incomplete pass play only had 1 receiver in the pattern. Of course that also brought the QB down. Luckily BG has Spaulding next week. I think Timby was a good test - their big plays came on the arm of their very impressive QB (Bidgood). The defense continued the bend, don't break philosophy. They also seemed to learn/adjust as the game went along to some of those wheel routes. Most times the first look was covered in the second half, forcing second or third looks, and sometimes even runs by the QB. That does mean though that defensive line/end pressure wasn't there. Whether that was to ensure backfield coverage or not, I'm not sure. I wasn't impressed by Timby's defense in obvious pass situations. One in the first half where a BG receiver was totally uncovered, but luckily the Timby coach got a timeout before the snap. In the second half there was a 4th and 5 - BG split Spinney out to the right side and the defense played 10+ yards off of him. A quick snap and throw gave him enough space to get 7-10 yards on the play.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:06 am

Things I noticed.

The wing t has to go. BG opened up the 2nd half in the power I and marched right down the field and scored.

Timberlane is for real. I loved their qb and number 17 their wide reciever. I heard they were missing their number one rb.

I was at the game with Marc Green {his son used to play football at BG and now plays in college}, and he couldn't get over how small BG's line is. I felt like I was in an old WENDY'S commercial. "Where's the beef?". That could be a factor before this season is done.

Thank God Guertin is Playing Spaulding this week. That gives Fahey 2 weeks to heel. Nice to have a qb like Vailas waiting in the wings.

I was 80% in my predictions only Merrimack screwed me.Nate Chartrand was my player of the game. Nice td catch, big 3rd down catch on 1st drive of the 3rd quarter. Bone jarring hits on defense. He was a difference maker. I wrote earlier this year for BG to win it all he will have to make spectacular plays. Last night he did. Mailoux also had a great game. Kid can run when given the opportunity.

BG's secondary played really well, as mentioned by e.i.r. Defensive end Spinney also made some nice plays getting in the qb's face. I also thought Bilodeau played well at TE {MADE A NICE CATCH}. Is Bilodeau 3rd string QB?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  FootballForLife on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:51 am

3 of 4 is not 80%

FootballForLife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:06 pm

Give the man a gold star. You are correct footballforlife. 75% is the total. It should be noted that I am only functioning at 50% this morning.

I need to go 4 /4 next week to get to 87 %.

Here is what's gonna happen.

BG - SPAULDING. Guertin 50- 0.

MERRIMACK - ALVIRNE. Merrimack 35 Alvirne 28.

WEST- TIMBERLANE. Timberlane 42 West 7.

WINNIE- DOVER. I flipped a coin and it came up for the home team. Dover 21 Winnie 20.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Just a thought on the "smaller" offensive line BG has this year. Could this perhaps be a residual of the coaching transition that has taken place at BG? I know there has been credible mention of the number of players who have left the program over this transition and the credible fact numbers are down for BG football players playing this year as compared to last. How about the wrestling/football coaching collisions previously at BG? Could wrestling finally be getting their way at 194 Lund Rd?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:01 pm

Here's something to remember about Timberlane's QB. 6-7 with an interception in the jamboree against Pinkerton (clearly the #1 team in the state), and the INT was a nice play by Ryan Coombs (kid is an amazing athlete). Then he went 10-11 for 175 yards and a TD last week against Bedford, and according to an article JAF posted the missed pass should have been a TD. Then he comes out against BG and throws INTs to Boudreau, Lansing, and Chartrand. The TD pass he had was the only play Chartrand didn't make, but those 6 points fired the kid up and he dominated them for the rest of the game.
Also, I apologize, the second scoring play was the Smith return going into halftime 13-6, and the Mailloux run was in the 3rd at the end of that long drive. According to the Telegraph, 14 plays, 70 yards, and it took nearly 8 minutes off the clock. Now that is BG football (anyone remember last year's game at Merrimack?), and what we need to see more of.
According to the program, the BG line from right to left reads as follows: 5'11" 230lbs, 6'0" 216lbs, 6'0" 205lbs, 5'7" 192lbs, 6'2" 228lbs. That's not a bad sized line except the one spot. What happened to the kid that played there last week?

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  FootballForLife on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Here are my predictions:

BG 35-0 over Spaulding. It won't be 50-0 because Cote remembers what it's like to be blown out and won't run up the score.

Merrimack over Alvirne 21-14. I don't think Merrimack looks good this year, although I haven't seen Alvirne yet.

Timberlane over West I agree 42-7. West will get a score late in the game with Timberlane's subs in.

Have to go with Winnie over Dover 28-14. Dover looks weak this year and Winnicunnet lost to North only 14-7.

FootballForLife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:40 pm

I think it was #71 Greg Goulski. BIG BOY,6'2 about 3 bills. He must be hurt. I didn't see him play last night.

Not for nothing E.I.R. but I have been saying since day 1 of the Travis Cote era that they should stay with what they are comfortable with on offense. They looked like the old BG squads in the second half. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. They say players need to adapt to new coaches. I feel the new coaches should also adapt to the players they have.

Guertin's secondary played great. They deflected some balls. The qb from Timberlane stats won't reflect it in the stats today, but he is going to carve up some d2 secondary's this season.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:43 pm

You could be right, but I don't think North is going to be as strong as past years. I think it will be the game of the week in d2 and could go a long way in determining playoff positions.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  FootballForLife on Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:58 pm

You're right. North isn't as strong as they have been in the past. I haven't seen Winnicunnet yet, but I don't expect them to be as weak as Dover looked against Merrimack. It certainly will be interesting to see how each team looks. I'll take BG and Keene at the top and then Winnicunnet and Dover at 3 and 4 (who is 3 and who is 4 pending this weekend's game). I think those are the four playoff teams. Merrimack didn't look great, and Spaulding and West are weak. I have yet to see Alvirne, but they can't be great (31-7 against Keene).

Ghoulski (sp?) isn't hurt, either. I believe he's 316 on the roster. He played quite a bit last night. He just splits time with Hall at D-line.

FootballForLife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:05 pm

FFL {short for footballforlife}, sounds like you know your stuff. You don't like Timby to make it. I got them in the 3 hole with Dover and Winnie slugging it out for the last spot. Remember Timberlane was without their starting rb who played real well against Bedford.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  FootballForLife on Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:36 pm

Yeah I wrote that last post pretty quickly and neglected to consider Timberlane. I'll amend that last post and predict 1. BG 2. Keene 3. Timberlane 4. Winnicunnet (possibly Dover depending on this weekend's game). I'll try to get out and see Winnicunnet this weekend to get an idea of where they stand, but you're right. Timberlane was without their best back (#27), and I think their quarterback has a lot of talent. He completed a very large percentage of his passes in the past 2 games and in the jamboree, and several of the interceptions he threw were tipped/ deflected by his own receiver. I'd like to see their linebackers come up harder. Even when they did make tackles, they were for 4 or 5 yard gains. They had no answer for the power game, despite the fact that BG was forced to double the nose.

FootballForLife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH on Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:07 pm

Some good stuff here and actual football talk.
AS GNG said, first half was stale and same as pinkerton except for a Fahey Bomb, The Fumbles were ugly, NOTE: It was Carver, Cornell, and I think Boudreau? or Smith who fumbled Not Mailloux

BG Looked like BG in First drive of second half, when they moved to Power Set it changed the dynamic and gave the line a chance to work on basic blocking.

The Double Wing and Wing T sets will get better as they run it , but I would expect we will see more spread as we get deeper in season, Valias can throw so in the next 2-3 games i would suspect they open it up a bit.

Timby is for real, they were missing their RB, and QB had a tough night, BG will see them in Round 1 or even possibly the Championship, will depend on how Timby plays with keene.

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG Timberlane Empty Stats from Game.

Post  MaxSportsNH on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:02 pm

BISHOP GUERTIN 27, TIMBERLANE 6

at Stellos Stadium, Nashua, N.H.

Timberlane 0 6 0 0 -- 6

Bishop Guertin 7 6 7 7 -- 27

Scoring

BG: Nate Chartrand 35 pass from Bob Fahey (Chris Fox kick)

T: Ryan McCarthy 9 pass from Evan Bidgood (kick failed)

BG: Brody Smith 92 kick return (kick failed)

BG: Zach Mailloux 22 run (Fox kick)

BG: Jim Carver 23 run (Fox kick)

Team Statistics

First Downs: Timberlane 9, Bishop Guertin 11.

Rushes/Yards: T 29-94, BG 43-221.

Passing: T 8-25-3, 94 yds. BG 5-10-2, 70 yds.

Individual Statistics

Rushing: T, Anthony Gillis 10-45, Josh David 15-34, Evan Bidgood 2-10, Ryan McCarthy 1-4, Zachary Kliska 1-1. BG, Zach Mailloux 18-80, Bob Fahey 7-34, Dalton Perry 3-27, Brody Smith 4-25, Jim Carver 2-24, Nolan Cornell 3-14, Blake Boudreau 1-5, Michael Devereaux 1-5, Tommy Vailas 2-4, Paul Lipari 1-2.

Passing: T, Evan Bidgood 8-25-3, 94 yds. BG, Bob Fahey 4-8-1, 63 yds, Tommy Vailas 1-2-1, 7 yds.

Receiving: T, Ricky Gulezian 4-47, Efrain Rolon, 1-33, Ryan McCarthy 1-9, Josh David 2-5. BG, Nate Chartrand 3-50, Patrick Bilodeau 2-5, Zach Mailloux 1-2.

Penalties: T, 4-30, BG 4-45.

Records: Timberlane 1-1 (0-1 NH2), BG 1-1 (1-0 NH2).

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:35 pm

Maxsports, New blood is always welcome here.

Did the telegraph run an article for the BG game? I can't find it anywhere. I saw Tom King up in the booth.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Gee I thought you were quiet about the Telegraph article over who got put on the line in the second half according to the writers... silent

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sportshighschoolsports/932307-221/win-presents-bg-with-challenge.html

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. on Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:58 pm

Anyone heard anything about the injury yet? I don't know too much about backups on the team but according to the article Vailas isn't as good as Fahey. Not surprising when you've got one of the best QB in the state, and the size difference doesn't help any. Sounds like he's a smart kid though, I hope their season isn't lost over Fahey's ankle.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 pm

Typically you probably won't hear anything - it's one of those football competitive things. Bob has had foot/ankle issues before this and he was rolled on during the pass attempt. I suspect Vailas will do just fine this week. Against Merrimack who starts will a "secret" especially since they have vastly different styles. This isn't the first time BG has played Spaulding with a backup QB - I can remember a couple of other times as well. Behind Vailas is a sophomore - Hurley. Bilodeau could probably also play QB as a 4th option, but he hasn't got any snaps at that position this year.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:13 pm

For those of you paying attention I went 4-4 today making me 7-8 on the year.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum