@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Londonderry @ Milford!

Go down

Londonderry @ Milford! Empty Londonderry @ Milford!

Post  Guest on Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:29 pm

Wow! Thrilling ending to a game many would've considered very boring. Milford 13 Londonderry 6 Game started off w/ a squib kick my Milford, and Londonderry returned it to about the 35 or 40 giving them great starting position. After about 3 or 4 plays of them just trying to run at Milford's massive D-line they hit a counter to the outside, which hit big and got LHS deep into Milford territory, next play Londonderry scores, after about 3 Minutes Milford is down 6. Milford Proceeds to just physically dominate the line of scrimmage, getting runs of 3-5 every play w/ the occasional 8 or 9 yarder in there. It's not pretty or even fun for the casual football fan but I loved it! 7 minutes later! Milford finally punches it in (yes all one drive) After the extra point it's 7-6 and this drive clearly just wore down Londonderry and stalled any momentum they may have had after that first quick TD drive. Milfords D settled down and again just controlled the LOS on the Defensive side of the ball and got the ball back again a very long draining drive w/ 3rd and 4th down conversions they ate up a decent chunk of the 2nd quarter. They failed to convert and punted but Bud Theriault (also the qb for Milford) continually pinned Londonderry deep w/ great punt after great punt. Londonderry had little success on this next drive and were forced to punt and wouldn't see the ball again in the first half. Milford again just pounded the rock w/ numerous backs, but mainly Connor Bourne (FB/CB) and Kyle Higgins mixed in was Joe Albina, and drove the field just getting "3 yards and a cloud of dust" and would just continually rely on there huge line to just help them convert on 3rd and 4th downs. After continuing this they were on the 1 yard line with nearly no time remaining in the first half Kyle Higgins fumbled but QB Bud Theriault was right there to hop on the ball in the endzone the half was over. A blocked extra point kept the game within 7. Milford goes into the half up 13-6

The 2nd half it was just a game of field position, and Milford won neither team got to far past the 50 and Milford won the battle of the field position again w/ great punts. Londonderry's single wing rushing attack would occassionally hit a big run here or there but were never able to punch anything in the third they also tried to open up the passing game with little success, as there SE's were blanketed by Milford's secondary of Connor Bourne, Mitchell Banuskevich, and Harrison Urda. Milford still controlled a lot of clock but penalties killed many of there drives. Very uneventful 3rd.

The fourth had the same feel for most of the quarter Milford ate up the clock but could never finish the drive w/ a TD. Londonderry again pinned w/ poor field position couldn't get much going. With about 7 or 8 minutes left in the game Milford was driving and got inside the 10 large in part to a rare pass by Milford caught by Ben Smith. They get to the 1 yard line on 4 and 1 and Londonderry comes up with a huge goal line stop! Londonderry gets the ball back and cannot seem to get the momentum from that stop to translate to the offensive side of the ball and are forced to punt. With about 6 or so minutes on the clock and after getting to about the 10, LHS stops the Spartans and Coach Jones sends out the FG unit. Londonderry again comes up huge w/ a block! Now with about 3 minutes or so left they are forced to air it and run the "2 minute drill" they begin to move the ball and i'm on the edge of the fence as they keep getting first down after first down they continue hitting the short routes just trying to get first downs so the clock would stop for placement of the ball. Milford was willing to give up the short pass, just keeping everything in front. Londonderry is getting deep in Milford territory around the 12 maybe the 15 but not to much further out. And Milford was now the defense that was gassed, and in what looked like a bad substitution, Londonderry has an uncovered Split End and they drop back and LHS connects and after a monster block on the 1 yard line Londonderry scores w/ less than a minutes to go!......or so most think, many failed to see the Tackle for LHS false started and the TD is called back. This excitement should've never taken place as the play should've been dead but it did happen. Now 3rd and 12ish with no timeouts Londonderry completes a short pass and it's now forth and around 7, Londonderry runs what was essentially a stop route, and the pass was incomplete any way but they had no chance at getting the first down as the youngman from LHS was surrounded by 3 Milford defenders. Turnover on downs and Milford takes a knee or 2 to end the game. And D3 Milford beats D1 Londonderry. As for Londonderry they were just out matched up front, they just got man handled. They were able to get the ball outside on Milford though and I thought they should've attacked that more but they didn't. #12 for them was clearly there guy, at least this game and he was the only reason they were able to move the ball at all. That 2 minute drill was near perfection as well and had they not had that penalty who know's what would've happened w/ the extrapoint. I expect Milford to do a lot better than most think, there's probably not to many teams in any division that has a line w/ there size, nevermind in D3, and the way they possess the ball, you better be very efficient when playing them because you never know when you're gonna touch the ball again. Also Andrew Bellantoni from Milford is an absolute monster kid man-handled everyone in front of him on offense and was unblockable on the D-line, kid just made a mess.

Back to top Go down

Londonderry @ Milford! Empty Differing Opinion

Post  boxout on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:35 pm

Bigman I agree with about 80% of your post, the rest you left out some key facts. Milford had excellent field position all night long. Milford was AWFUL in the Red Zone. You mentioned the recovered fumble, I believe you are wrong though in that Connor Bourne fumbled and Kyle Higgins recovered for the TD. Milford's running game, looked great statistically, but was hardly great. Londonderry played the second half the way a smart coach will play them in the future, defensively. Milford has no passing game at all, so teams in the future will stack the middle. As we saw Milford can run from the twenty to the twenty, but once they got in the red zone, they stumbled, the fumble recovery in the end zone was great, but as a fan, I know it was lucky and should not happen. Next time it will go the other way. You can't fumble at the one and expect to score TD's all season.
Milford also had at least two goal line series that were stuffed. 7 plays from the one yard line and Milford (turn over on downs, and a missed FG) walked away with nothing. Milford should have actually blown out Londonderry, instead Milford let the Lancers hang around.
It was a great win for Milford, don't get me wrong. But this could be Milford's highlight all season. Unless the QB can find away to throw the ball with some consistency. Milford's QB was at least 2-8 throwing the ball. He throw one great ball to TE Ben Smith and Smith set up a red zone situation.
Milford's lines on both sides of the ball is outstanding, hardworking group. With that said, the QB, WR, and RB situations will hinder this team all year.
I was excited about the win last night as well, but after looking at the other scores throughout the night, Milford could have a long drought without wins. You are right DIII is going to be tough. I am going to say Milford will go 3-7. I am also very cautious of out of Division games. Many players don't play as much or at all in meaningless games. Coaches wisely don't want to risk a players health over a meaningless game. It is the same reason why I don't put much stock in jamborees or Xmas tournaments for basketball.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Londonderry @ Milford! Empty Re: Londonderry @ Milford!

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Well considering my post was already getting very lengthy I left some things out. And it's not that Bud can't, they just don't pass. I'm not saying Bud's great at throwing the ball but he's capable, and he was 3-5 not 2-8. They also didn't show other aspects of there game that I know will allow them to get over the redzone difficulties you saw, and potentially hit some big plays. Milford was up the whole game in an out of division game absolutely controlling the LOS, the put away TD would've certainly been nice but they really had no reason to pass or try and show anything new, as everything was very successful, aside from the stop on the 1 yard line, which in my mind was more on the play call than inability to pass in the other times they got into the redzone they got flagged. Also it was Higgins that fumbled and Bud that picked it up. And Boxout I don't know how much Milford football you've watched under Coach Jones but other than the 06-07 season and 07-08 season Milford has never passed and have always looked to control the LOS and pound the ball down your throat. Milford last night pretty much forced Londonderry to play perfect due to the number of limited possessions. And Milfords Defense this year is also going to be much improved in my mind as it showed last night aside from Londonderry's TD drive. My biggest knock on Milford's D last year was the secondary, and it's much improved this year w/ some great athletes out there.

Back to top Go down

Londonderry @ Milford! Empty I know they run....

Post  boxout on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:22 pm

I am well aware of Coach Jones' philosophy of run it down their throats, it works till the playoffs. Even the two seasons you mentioned, they were not a passing team. One of those years, the QB may have thrown more picks than he had completions. I remember watching the games and the QB would be 3-15 with 4 picks. I have been to plenty of Milford games over the years. Two series stopped at the one is worthy of mentioning no matter how long your post was, I noticed the Telegraph left that out too. I also believe that Coach Jones would throw the ball if he had a QB he trusted to complete passes. What was the longest pass he threw last night? Three yards? The pass was three yards, the YAC is what made the difference.
I guess I try to be neutral when it comes to sports.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:30 pm

I believe I mentioned all the stops and blocked FG etc. And the 06-07 year (played on the team so I'd have first hand knowledge) we we're very balanced and Agnew (our Qb) threw 26 tds to his 4 picks, so Jonesy threw the ball that year clearly. The 07-08 year is when they ran primarily out of the spread, and Agnew's Senior year they weren't in the spread anymore. And yes as of late the power football for Milford has struggled to win them a game in the playoffs but it's not impossible many times Milford losses in the playoffs it's because they didn't have the same kind of athletes Portsmouth and Souhegan had, example last year. And I'm not saying they're gonna win a ship or even a playoff game with the current formula but like I said they have things in that they didn't show last night that if executed/used it'll help with opening things up.

Back to top Go down

Londonderry @ Milford! Empty That is fine..

Post  boxout on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:11 pm

I will look up the numbers, as we all know ex-high school football players always exaggerate the numbers. I find it strange that your saying his SO year he throw the ball more than his SR year, or even Jr. I do remember those years well, had a buddy whose nephew started on those teams. If I remember correctly the reason why they stopped throwing the ball as much is because they were getting picked off. So in order to keep the ball Jones had to stick with the running game.
I don't remember him having a 26-to4 Td/Int ratio, not saying you are wrong, but I don't remember it being that good. Most teams with a 26 to 4 TD/Int ratio win championships, or ships as you call them.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:22 pm

He threw more/ and efficiently because my senior year we more athletes than the following two teams. And yes those were his stats during the reg season. In the playoff game against Portsmouth he struggled badly and turned it over about 5 times and i'll go find some old media to prove it and if you really want proof we can meet somewhere if you really want and I'll give you every game film. But I'm done with talking about this with you I started this post to talk about this years team/last nights game, not to get in an argument about little things like me calling a championship a 'ship' etc.

Back to top Go down

Londonderry @ Milford! Empty My appologies

Post  boxout on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 pm

I am sorry, I was just reading the responses you have given me and I can't help notice a hint of sarcasm. Maybe it is just me, sorry. I guess questioning whether I go to games or not may have set me into thinking you thought I don't go to games.
Again I apologize if I have offended you.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum