@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region...

Go down

Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region... Empty Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region...

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:39 am

What never ceases to amaze me is the "hush" of basketball greatness that sweeps over NH year in and year out. Almost every year prep-school from NH makes a title run. 2 years ago Brewster ran away with the National Championship at the highest Prep level. The Tilton School, Holderness, New Hampton and a slew of others are consistently in the hunt for NEPSAC and national titles.

This season will be no different - Brewster will once again boast a lineup that includes Xavier commitment Semaj Christon, Undecided TJ Warren (considering UNC, Florida, Kentucky an others), and the #3 ranked player in his class, Center Mitch McGrary (considering UNC, Duke, Kentucky, Florida and others), and a 6''9" PF Jalen Reynolds out of Detriot. This team is going to be A. Big and B. Very Good.

Every year there is little to no chatter on the local sports scene regarding these teams. Sure a paper might run an article or two, but I usually have to open up the Boston Globe or Herald to see a score or recap. These basketball teams are better than MANY of the Division I level teams that will suit up this season in the NCAA. I might even dare to say most of them.

I hope the forum becomes a place to discuss these teams - some of the best college prepratory teams are located not only in the NH region (many many good schools in MA and ME as well, a few out of VT) but probably the best teams in the region are right here in NH. I'll be keeping tabs on Brewster and the other local teams...I suggest you do too!

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region... Empty Re: Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region...

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:15 pm

Asst, I think the reason you don't hear much about them is because there are very few local kids who play for these teams. They're all kids who come from Ohio, Florida, North Carolina, Michigan etc. and they're only here in NH to play for one of these stacked prep school teams. The local NH basketball basketball fans have no personal connection to these kids who come from across the country, play at Brewster for 2 years and then head out to play their college ball at UCLA. All of us local NH people all know who Sean McClung is, we know who Steve Spirou is, we know who Connor Green is. These guys all grew up playing ball in NH. But we don't know who any of those guys are that you just mentioned. Because they're not NH kids, they just moved here to play prep. That being said, there's no denying that these schools play the game at a VERY high level, and basketball fans in the state don't have to travel far to see some excellent talent.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region... Empty Re: Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region...

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 pm

I agree with you Jeremy. There is "Zero" personal connection to most of these kids who play prep in NH. I have to admit I have had a lot of invites on the weekend to go see some of these prep games and tournaments, but after doing my Fox 40-in and watching of HS ball I have no desire to watch prep games. Mr Mitchell tried time and time again to get me to go to many prep games. Along with the fact he and I would've gotten into a referee argument I had no desire to go watch prep. I know there are good players and good teams in NH and maybe I should catch a game here and there. I'm just as happy getting my fix watching a couple of good HS teams go head to head on a Tuesday and Friday. Sometimes it's the game and other times it's the characters at the game.

Lord knows there's a lot of characters at the HS gyms in NH on a Tuesday and Friday.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:51 am

I understand there's very little personal connection (although many of the prep teams DO boast NH talent). Fact of the matter is the best non-college/nba basketball in the country is probably being played under our noses. If you're a basketball fan, you'll want to see these future NBA players closing out their HS/Prep careers.

Brewster and the Tilton School should be two of the top teams this year, with New Hampton always in the hunt. Even though there is no personal connection between the fans and the teams (understandable) its still surprising to me the media doesn't provide any coverage at all. Its not even that they provide just a little, there is virtually none. I suppose if the fans don't want to talk about it, no sense in writing about it a paper or covering them for the evening news. Of course there's only so much time in WMUR's 30 second sports highlight reel...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:45 am

Those schools get PLENTY of coverage on NERR, where the NHIAA schools don't get as much.

Last edited by Jeremy Leveille on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm talking about local papers, news, radio etc....almost never mentioned within the state of NH.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Something Special "Brew"ing in the Lakes Region... Empty Hooprootz

Post  basketballtime on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

Hooprootz is another great site if your interested in keeping up with prep schools or local kids. Speaking of local kids NH is very well represented by some of our own local kids in some very strong prep schools. Kaleb Tarczewski St. Mark's School, Jamie Holder Notre Dame Prep, Connor Green Phillips Exeter, Dimitry Floras and Devin Gilligan Kimball Union, Andrew Chrabascz and Kaleb Joseph Cushing Academy,Mike Auger New Hampton just to name a few.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:24 pm

St. Pauls School is an up and coming program that's going to have some local talent as well.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum