New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

This one scares me

+5
NH Yankee Fan
bb603
JAF
nyk
GNG
9 posters

Go down

This one scares me Empty This one scares me

Post  GNG Fri May 13, 2011 9:01 am

Thank God I won't have to make that drive ever again. BG finished the week 3-0 and upped it's record to 9-4 for the season after coming from behind late to sink Spaulding 6-4. I was telling everyone before the game that "this one scares me". To look at Spaulding's team {alot of suspensions} they are very small and young, but they are scrappy. They play small ball to the extreme. They must of bunted 7 times in our game. They also were stealing bases like they were thieves. The first base coach for Spaulding noticed a flaw in our pitchers delivery to the plate and kid's were getting a HUGE jump. All that being said and BG had a 3-2 in the 4th when Guertin brought in Pat Clapp to relieve with one out and two men on for Spaulding. He shut the door and we moved to the fifth with a one run lead. I was still telling people "this one scares me'.
BG goes down real real quick in the top of the fifth, you could tell the diminutive pitcher for the Red Raiders was gaining confidence by the inning. Their pitcher had 2 pitches, fastball that was ordinary and curve that was hittable. Problem was BG was hitting shots right at people, one of those games. Bottom of the fifth, 2 bunts, 3 singles, all of a sudden Spaulding 4 BG 3. I was gaining converts in my new "this one scares me" religion.
Top six, Chartrand doubles down the left field line {hit the chaulk}, Joe Mac walks, Chartrand took 3rd on a pass ball during the walk. Mike Kelly pinch runs for Mac. Suicide squeeze with Timmy Lund { the most baseball smarts and knowledge of any kid on the team in my opinion. He is going to make a GREAT coach someday, he pointed out a problem in my kid"s stance and he has been raking for 4 games now.Tim has been hitting good all year}, and he pulls back the bat, Chartrand gets in a pickle and scores to tie the game. Remi infield single moves Kelly to 3rd. Pinch hitter Jim Kelly 2 stike single to right plating both to take a 6-4 lead. Kelly gets thrown out at second. Jim Kelly has been hitting for a great average all year but he needs to pay more attention when he is on base. Clapp shuts the door on the next 6 outs and Guertin escapes with a win. THIS ONE SCARED ME.
MY TAKE- Total letdown game after the Londonderry game. I am old school, to many things happen on the road. I would have started one of our big guns pitching, get a big lead then bring in some of the other kids. This move almost backfired. Trevor Howe is more of a middle reliever then a starter, but I understand why Coach Painter did it. On the flip side, kids gain confidence with the comeback. Everyone knows about Gilcrest,Feland, and Mac, but I feel Clapp and Kelly{Mike} are 2 weapons that alot of teams don't have. Clappelbon { yes I take credit for the nickname}, can come on in the 5th inning and shut the door. Yesterday was the first earned runs he has given up this year. If you can save an inning or 2 here or there for Gilcrest,or Ferland in the tourny that could be key if they keep advancing. Kelly pinch running is amazing, only the Salem catcher has thrown him out this year {Mike says he was safe}. Close game Kelly on first, puts alot of pressure on the opposing team, especially in the tourny. One other tidbit Remi has gotten hit 3 games in a row, I was calling him Don Baylor on the way home, he is clueless on baseball history.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

This one scares me Empty One other thing

Post  GNG Fri May 13, 2011 9:11 am

Six games left for the green and gold, and if they win 3 and lose 3 their record would be 12-6. Twelve and six where have I heard that before, I know I heard it somewhere. T@F, maybe you can help me on this one. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

This one scares me Empty Re: This one scares me

Post  nyk Fri May 13, 2011 9:32 am

Nice game description GNG, I don't remember seeing anything in the paper this morning. It looks BG is playing with a lot of confidence. BG and North face off in a week and if both teams bring their A game, we should all be in for a good show.

South picked up a W against Pinkerton is climbing back to .500. They are a better team than their record.

Did you stop at the Holy Grail? We stopped there again (2nd time this week) on the way back from Dover. Good food and drink.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 am

No Grail, we didn't get out of Rochester until after 10. To Tired it was one of those draining games where you were hanging on every pitch. One other thing, Spaulding really supports their high school sports. There was quite a sea of red at the game for a team with only 3 wins.
JV NOTE Paul Liparie hit an absolute moon shot in the jv game to left center. I don't know how far it was,but down the left field line was 355 ft. I am guessing 380ft, 390ft to left center, quite a poke.
NYK, my weather people are saying next week some precipitation might be heading out way. Just what you want to hear, more cancelations. I am looking forward to the NORTH- BG game. I hope it's Turner against Gilcrest, that would be a fun one to watch.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri May 13, 2011 10:04 am

Considering Papelbon's (and the Red Sox bullpen in general) woes lately - I'd hold off on Clappelbon... I'm partial to the Clappenator... As I understand it, Big Joe is a little sore and Painter isn't taking any chances with him which is fine by me. I'm perfectly fine with puttingTrevor out there and seeing what he has to hopefully build his confidence. It's a whole different game starting than relieving. Too bad last year's coach decided last year to put him into the middle of a bases loaded situation in a 1-run game in the 5th inning with the rain coming down hard against Trinity in the stadium. Welcome to Varsity - now go out there and hold this lead in those conditions.

Anyway, according to Foster's (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110513/GJSPORTS_01/705139960/-1/FOSSPORTS) - the Spaulding pitcher was Poisson - who I'm pretty sure is a Senior and has been playing Varsity a couple of years. I believe he was the catcher in last year's game.

Looks like North is lining up Turner to face BG next Thu evening. I like it - he's going to challenge the BG hitters. It'll be interesting to see how the pitching shakes out next week - hopefully Joe feels better by Tuesday for the PA game.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri May 13, 2011 10:19 am

Joe told me he was 100% before the game. I am more concerned about Garrett Kelly's hand.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk Fri May 13, 2011 10:30 am

What happened to Garrett? He played for me a couple of years ago on a 15-year-old wooden bat team. He has a cannon strapped to his shoulder and is very good in CF.

On a bright note for us, Mellin has been cleared to pitch so I imagine he'll see some time next week, which is good because we have a 4-game week next week.

I think Turner will be "saved" for next Friday's game, I'm sure he'll get a relief assignment early next week, that's usually the pattern, starter goes 5 and a reliever comes in for 1 or 2. I think only Turner and Root have gone more than 6. Turner did that in the Salem game (for which our coach caught some grief because of the pitch count). Root went 6 and 1/3 yesterday. He was going to come out after 5, but he had a no-hitter inflight and the coach did the right thing keeping him in there. Root was really terrific yesterday and he pitched to contact yesterday, 1 strikeout, which meant the defense had to convert the other 20 outs. I don't know what his pitch count was but I don't think it was very high.

GNG, JAF: I think regardless of who pitches for either team, the match-up will be good because I think both teams are showing a lot of depth in the pitching department. Assuming both starting pitchers do well, you could easily see a game with less than 3 or 4 runs total. Defense, small ball, and some hit & runs will be the key for the winning team.

Who do you guys have today? We're up in Concord.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri May 13, 2011 10:41 am

BG is off.. Game vs. Spaulding would have been today, but as I understand it, it's their prom tonight.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri May 13, 2011 10:49 am

The southern part of the state is playing some good ball. North is destroying teams, Merrimack has only 3 losses, Bg hanging around with 4 losses, and South is one team nobody will want to face in the dance. Their combined records are 35 - 15. On the flip side the Queen city is not faring as well. The combined record of West, Central, Memorial, and Trinity is 18 - 30. Manchester is a city known for it's baseball, so this surprises me. It should be an interesting and fun couple of weeks.
On a personal note my son was a little burned out when the season started, going from one sport to the next, to the next can take it's toll. Especially when the teams he is on keeps winning championships. It makes for very,very short off seasons. He was scuffling at the plate the first few games and his confidence was low{ he had never had a prolonged slump before}. The coach stuck by him and it is now paying off. On the loooooooooooong ride home from Rochester last night we had a great talk. The start of the year put a ball on a tee and he would probably swing and miss it 3 times{over exagerrating but you get my point}. Now he feels he going to get on base everytime up. If you go up to the plate thinking your gonna strike out, your probably gonna strike out. Baseball is a game of failure, that's the nature of the beast. POSITIVE thinking is key, in baseball more so then any other team sport.
Kelly slammed his hand in a door,but he should be fine.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri May 13, 2011 11:38 am

w/r/t Manchester school team performances...
It may not be "directly related", but a few years ago the Manchester School Board in an effort to save money decided middle school sports will only be played against "in town" teams. Recently they've done away with Freshman teams.. I think they are starting to see the results now in their teams performances. Now rather than 42-54 kids playing at 3 levels in high school, they've got 28-36. If you follow patterns of losing a few players every year (injury, grades, disinterest, etc.), then perhaps the 8 that started out Freshman year is now 4 by Senior year rather than 16 vs. 8.

There's only 14 Frosh teams (BG, North, South, Pinkerton, Merrimack, Londonderry, Keene, Timberlane, Exeter, Dover, Winnacunnent, Spaulding, Timberlane, Souhegan) "on the schedule" for this year's BG team.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

This one scares me Empty ManchVegas schools

Post  bb603 Fri May 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Manchester has not had middle school baseball teams for a long time.

I am not familiar with anyone who remembers them having freshman baseball. I'm sure they have not had it for at least 6 years.

I think the problems w/ Manchester baseball are numerous:

Second hand info from West parents seems to indicate their problem is numbers trying out for the team and the current coach. The previous coach was a good coach, he applied for the MMHS job when Abood applied and did not get the job. He was a graduate of MMHS like Abood and wanted to move from West to MMHS. Word is when he didn't get the MMHS job he asked to go back to West and was told NO. Seems to me you shouldn't fault a guy for wanting to coach at his old school. They would be better off if they had taken him back.

Memorial's problem seems to be poor play at this time.

Central is doing well this year after a down year last year.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NH Yankee Fan Fri May 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Coach can make a big difference. Just look at BG - new coach this year has done wonders for the program. When Detering was there with Philips as his assistant BG had many problems - not the least being that it fielded a team based on nepotism. I believe that BG has now won more games (or close to it) than they did the entire time under Detering.

NH Yankee Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri May 13, 2011 3:56 pm

I saw Kraeling {the athletic directer who hired Detering} at the Merrimack - BG hoop game. I wanted to ask why in the world did you hire that guy? I just spaced it. At least TOJO cleaned up the mess after last season, but alot of people thought it should have been fixed 2 seasons ago. Remember when all the seniors didn't go out for the team, and all the people were writing in the telegraph complaining about Detering.
It's amazing how quickly Painter has erased the losing stigma that has been BG baseball for the past 3 years. It was a GREAT hire by Johnson. The guy is so passionate about baseball. I just wish my son had a chance to play for him for more then one season. Better late then never.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser96 Fri May 13, 2011 4:27 pm

BG also carries around a horseshoe, a rabbt's foot, a four leaf clover, and who knows what else in their pocket. When the kid with "the most baseball smarts and knowledge of any kid on the team" pulls the bat on a suicide squeeze and gets away with it, there is more than talent at work! Seriously, the batters have been missing a lot of signs, leaving the runners stranded in no man's land (although some have done it to themselves all on their own). Painter likes the hit and run plays, but the kids don't seem to realize that when he calls such a play pulling the bat or holding up the swing are not options, no matter were the ball is thrown. There is a lot of athletic talent on that team, but many of them do not have a head for baseball (not sure how else to put it - its one thing to make an error on a play and another to not know what is the correct play). These kids certainly have a different attitude than previous teams, that seemed to carry themselves with a sense of entitlement. Let's hope the passion and good fortune continue make good things happen for them.

Mauser96
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  FullCount Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 pm

Looks like Salem had a scary game tonight based on the report in the telegraph.... Alvirne took a 3 - 2 lead into the 7th and then Salem busted loose to win 11 - 3..... no doubt the Blue Devils were a little nervous - maybe more nervouse than GNG. This is all more fuel to the popular view that the playoffs will be very interesting,

FullCount
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat May 14, 2011 1:08 am

God, I hope BG finishes with either a 11 - 7 or 13 - 5 record.

Anything but a 12 - 6, twelve and six, 13 minus 1 and 7 minus 1, 11 plus 1 and 5 plus 1 record.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sat May 14, 2011 6:36 am

Concord beat North yesterday. Playing their fifth game in 5 days, and playing great ball in their previous 4, it looks like the fatigue factor might have set in. I am sure nyk will fill us in.

T@F, I am going to the store to pick up a DOZEN cheers cheers eggs, and SIx cheers cheers lottery tickets.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

This one scares me Empty Friggatriskaidekaphobia?

Post  nyk Sat May 14, 2011 11:29 am

GNG wrote: Concord beat North yesterday. Playing their fifth game in 5 days, and playing great ball in their previous 4, it looks like the fatigue factor might have set in. I am sure nyk will fill us in.

T@F, I am going to the store to pick up a DOZEN cheers cheers eggs, and SIx cheers cheers lottery tickets.

Friggatriskaidekaphobia = Fear of Friday the 13th!

Well, I don't know if it was the long week or what, but the boys just didn't have it at the beginning of the game, and take nothing away from Concord because they hit when they needed to and took advantage of our 9, yes NINE, miscues.

North scored in the 1st and took a quick 1-0 lead. Unfortunately, we gave 4 runs back in the bottom of the 1st on a walk, 3 or 4 hits, and 2 errors. The 2nd inning was the one that killed us though as we made 4 errors in the field. Then when there was an apparent bright spot in terms of converting a 1-6-3 double play, it fell to ruin as the Concord runner on 1st took off for 2nd. The 2nd baseman covered the bag anticipating a throwdown from the catcher. Instead the batter tapped back to the pitcher who threw to second, but the shortstop was forced take the throw behind the bag because of the congestion, which also prevented a throw over to first. We also misplayed a bunt in that inning and the 2nd baseman bobbled two other balls.

At the end of 2 the score was either 7-1 or 9-1 (I don't recall exactly because of all the gifts we presented the Tide with). Oh and I forgot to mention the balk that led to a run and a catcher's interference that put another man on. This was the kind of day it was.

Then in the 4th or 5th, North mounted a comeback and chased Concord's starter out of the game. The kids batted around that inning and plated 6 runs on doubles from Tarantino, Karkhanis, Turner, Breen, and Leith. That made the score 9-7. By this time North was onto their 3rd pitcher of the game, Mellin. Mellin was chased out of the game in the 5th as the Tide pushed the score to 13-7 where it would remain until Concord recorded the final out.

Hats of to Concord, they were clearly up for this game, they ran the bases well, hit well, and played well enough defensively. I hope the Concord infield took their first baseman out for a steak because of the 4 or 5 balls he scooped out of the dirt.

I hate to blame the terrible play on the 5-game week, so I'll attribute the anomaly to Friday the 13th! All in all, the kids should be pleased with winning 4 out of 5 with long trips to Hampton, Dover, and Concord. Londonderry was also a road trip, but short compared to the other rides.

We have a four game week this week, against all good teams: Pinkerton, Central, BG, and Andover. No rest for the weary.

I'm off to throw 4 buckets of batting practice to my son and his friend and hit two buckets of ground balls. Have a good weekend everyone.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sat May 14, 2011 11:41 am

NYK, did Turner pitch?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  nyk Sat May 14, 2011 12:19 pm

GNG wrote: NYK, did Turner pitch?

Yes, he pitched, he was up in the zone a little bit but more than that, the errors behind him didn't help. In the 2nd inning we had 4 ground balls that should have been outs and instead they resulted in runners reaching base.

nyk
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

This one scares me Empty Bobby Dow - Pitcher Spaulding

Post  123ksurout Wed May 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Dow had a lot of promise and must've been a (dumb) kid for a night. Of course he was catching at the beginning of the season, but definitely showed pitching promise last year -- shame for a lot of those Seniors.

http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110513/GJSPORTS_01/705139956/-1/FOSSPORTS03

Definitely helps keep your kids in focus by using this as an example.

123ksurout
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum