New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU

+4
Bobcat
Hoop Fan
Jeremy Leveille
chicagokid43
8 posters

Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty Unclaimed Seniors/AAU

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:55 am

So without naming names there are many seniors that have obvious skill sets that should get them onto college rosters that have still been unsigned. Are some of these guys playing AAU and planning on going to prep for a year? Anyone know of any other than Jamie that are planning on doing a year of prep school?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty Re: Unclaimed Seniors/AAU

Post  Jeremy Leveille Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:23 am

From what I understand, Holder, Madol, Green, Hill, Shomari Morgan and Zach Stevens are all looking at doing a PG year. Green to Phillips Exeter, Holder to Notre Dame Prep. Last I heard the others were still up in the air. That would be a pretty good AAU team if they all played together though, especially if they played with former NHIAA players Mike Lombard and Kevin O'Connor who are also now in the Class of 2012.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty New AAU age rules

Post  Hoop Fan Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:00 pm

AAU instituted new age rules this year that make it difficult for PG's to play AAU in the traditional sense. In the past, a PG would be able to play for the "U17" team, which is typically the final year of AAU and consisting of rising seniors. This year, AAU is moving to a "grade-based" system, and instead of U16, U17, etc., teams now have to classify themselves as Sophomore team, Junior team, Senior team, etc. The new age limit rules dictate that if a Senior, heading to a PG year, wants to play for a U17 team, they need to be turning 18 after August 31. Very few seniors are that young. So essentially AAU is trying to establish a "Senior" division, which would consist of graduating seniors and PG's. These new age rules apply to the major AAU-sanctioned tournaments, such as States, Regionals, Nationals, etc.

As far as I know, there are no Senior teams that have been developed in any of the major programs, so I'm not sure what guys like Holder, Madol, and Green are going to be able to do for AAU (that is, if AAU coaches actually care about these new age limits and follow the rules, and AAU actually verifies birth certificates). Now, these kids can still play in some of the "showcase" events with a Junior team, which are not AAU-sanctioned, but they wouldn't be able to play in States, Nationals, etc.

Here is the official wording from AAU:

11th Grade Division
ii. An athlete must be in the 11th grade as of October 1, 2010 can be no older
than 18 on August 31, 2011. For an athlete that is in the 12th grade as of
October 1st, 2010 wanting to petition to play down, in the 11th grade
division they can be no older than 17 on August 31,2011

The other interesting twist on this is how re-classified players are handled. Let's say you went to a prep school this year and should have been a Senior, but reclassified as a Junior (very common). Under these new rules, in order for you to play on a "Junior" AAU team this summer, you cannot be older than 18 as of August 31, 2011. My sense is that most re-classified Juniors will be ok with this, but there could be some that are actually 19 by August 31 (some of these kids not only reclassified but stayed back a year somewhere in their past)

I wonder what the logic was for AAU behind these new age rules. They seem to penalize kids opting for a PG year. What they're saying is that if you're a Junior that reclassified at prep, you can play AAU all the way until you turn 19, but if you're a Senior going PG (basically the same original class as the Junior who reclassified), you can only play until you turn 18. How is that fair? This rule will only encourage kids to go the re-classify route, instead of playing out their careers at their high schools and maybe doing a PG year, because it gives the re-classified prep kids an extra year of AAU. This over the long term will hurt NH public high schools, are more kids will be transferring to prep when they are sophomores and juniors.

Hoop Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty WOW

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:42 am

I guess I got confused on the new rule myself. I thought there would just be a 18/PG group of tourneys and that players in the PG situation would just play in the new category. So are all of these kids going to be idle until School starts back up in August? Seems there needs to be a league or a way for these guys to continue to compete and work on their game. Anyone got anything going for them?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:46 am

I believe Holder, Madol and Hill are all playing Rivals again this year, no? Just like how last year they had Laguerre and King play for them even though they had already played 4 years of HS/prep ball..

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty No Clue

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 am

No Clue, been real busy.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoop Fan Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:54 pm

Jeremy, the rules changed this year, so you can't compare it to last year. If Holder, Madol, and Hill are playing for the Rivals this year, then Vin Pastore either a.) created a new "senior" team, or b.) still has them playing for his "junior" team, but playing in tournaments that are not AAA-sanctioned. If he has them playing in AAU-sanctioned tournaments on the junior (i.e. U17) team, then they are playing illegally, since I assume none if them are still 17 as of August 31st.

Hoop Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty To Clarify

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:41 pm

To clarify then, can 18 year olds that are committed to college put a team in the senior or grade 12 league? This would be great for the current group of committed kids in NH. To play against high level players for the months between the school season and leaving for college. Anyone know about that?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobcat Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:50 am

What is the benefit of playing AAU this time of year? My personal belief is that kids would benefit more by doing individual type workouts trying to get stronger, faster, bigger, quicker, and more explosive. Kids need to be putting in time separating them from other guys, and to do that it comes down to athleticism. Work on the skills of the game and worry about AAU again in July.

Bobcat
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty AAU legal or illegal??

Post  basketballtime Sun May 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Just read the NERR site only to see this write up?

Joe Bramanti continued to provide steady play in the backcourt, making good decisions with the ball. This was at the Providence Jam Fest this weekend. So he is either illegal to play in this event or we are all wrong about the new rules???

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Unclaimed Seniors/AAU Empty Sounds to me like the Jamfest

Post  chicagokid43 Mon May 02, 2011 2:21 am

The jamfest is either not reading the rulebook or not checking the age limits and classifications. Bramanti is older than the age shut off and is a reclassified senior on his way to Brewster I believe. So this win by the Playaz is somewhat tainted I would think. Unless all the teams down there are taking advantage of this lack of attention to details by the Jamfest.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm

First off, anyone heading on to play after HS (College or Prep) should not be doing anything at all without consulting his coach at the next level for what he feels will benefit them best for this time of year and the summer. At this point you are going to be better off playing against older, stronger and more expereinced competetion. This is especially true for kids looking to be on a college roster come November. Most colleges have their kids playing together in various summer leagues. Sometimes players can't do this due to job/interships, but even then players will find the best level they can to keep sharp.

As far individual training goes, again everyone should be consulting with next year's coaching/training staff for a workout regiment and goals. It is a given that every one of the kids discussed here need to get stronger to be sucessful at their next stop. Proper nutrition, supplements, weight room regiments, etc... are all required this summer if they are looking to make a mark next year.

Now before someone jumps up screaming about NCAA rules, coaches cannot conduct formal workouts or directly coach the team during any summer games, but they can indeed offer advice on a summer schedule and goals. The other way for a player to get a leg up on moving on is to contact returning players and inquire about summer league play and team building events such as camps and other get-togethers.

Most of this goes for kids heading to prep too. Talk to your coach and get his input on what you are doing.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoop Fan Mon May 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Chicagokid, the only way Bramanti playing in the Jamfest this weekend would be legal is if the Jamfest is not considered an AAU-sanctioned tournament. Cut and dry. There is no way Bramanti is still legal to play in any AAU tournaments this year, given the new age rules. He is especially old compared to other seniors. By the way, do you know what Jamie Holder is doing this Spring for AAU? Is he being hampered by the new rules?

Hoop Fan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  8992 Mon May 02, 2011 2:22 pm

I know my daughter was asked last summer by her future coach not to participate in any type off summer league, all star games, or pick up games....etc
But "did offer advice on a summer schedule and goals" She also received a work out DVD.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 pm

The Jamfest was not an AAU sanctioned event.

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down