@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Shot Clock?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty Re: Shot Clock?

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:26 pm

"As far as the shot clock and zone go. I think zones will be used more often if the shot clock is added. I would rather see a stall once every 20 games than to see teams sitting in zone for 18 a season."

Still not sure why you think forcing the offense to shoot in a discrete time frame is going to lead to an increase in zones. I see absolutely no reasoning for this. Again, those that play it will be more active knowing they need to defend to 30 or seconds versus a possible 45, 50 or more.

I understand its your opinion, but I do not understand how you arrived at it.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty How?

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 pm

How am I making the Coach Curle seem not very knowledgeable about basketball when I say he wondered why Mike was not guarding the other teams point guard? After that game he was curious about the match up and asked. After the second game he was praising Mikes defense against the same player. That is my point. If he had any questions about Mike defensively being able to play on the ball defense they were somewhat answered with the play he had in the title game. Not sure why that would question his knowledge. He had seen Mike play in AAU and was in zone,then he saw him play off the ball and not defend the other teams point guard and then he saw him do a real good job and even frustrate the other teams point guard with some tactics that he really appreciated. He got the chance to show some things that if he were in zone or when he was in zone he did not show.
Sure he knows Mike has to get stronger,sure he knows Mike will be the victim of players running him into the post. Sure he may throw zone at a team if the match ups require so. I however feel that NH players are not recruited because they are weak defensively and Zone is a band aid over a large cut that only hides the blood but does not stop the bleeding. The more a player has to defend one on one and use all of the tools of deny, double,pressure and trap the more prepared they will be for the speed at the next level. To me that is what varsity sports are for. To hopefully give the student athlete another avenue to get into college.
Believe me there are many players on varsity rosters that if they did not play varsity sports would decide not to even go to college. So if that is not the goal of varsity sports we should just tear down the gyms and put in bigger classrooms.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:14 pm

"To me that is what varsity sports are for. To hopefully give the student athlete another avenue to get into college.
Believe me there are many players on varsity rosters that if they did not play varsity sports would decide not to even go to college."

I think you need to take a long look at the numbers. The number of HS varsity kids that actually play in college is a very, very low percentage. Your dreaming if you think that is what varsity HS athletics is for. Perhaps you should chat more with people whose kids you know are not going to play in college before you make a blanket statement like that.

The idea that kids here in NH are not going to college unless they can play is extremely unrealistic. Some go and find that the demands are too much.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty Then it must be...

Post  boxout on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:48 pm

Coach Murray? Should have he of forfeited what is good for the team, so your son can guard the point guard? Once again Coach Curle could have figured this all out on his own, that is my point. He was chit-chatting with you. Coach Curle was aware what was going on. I bet coach Curle even knew that Portsmouth was down a player. Let us remember that Coach Curle might have been there for your son, but there were about 4 JR's in that game who could also play at SUNY-Platts the following year, I would bet he wasn't just concerned about your son. A smart college coach would understand why Holder was on Walker, he probably has pulled this on his own team. If I get it, and most on this forum do, then he must as well. That is where you are insulting the coach.
Your opinion of NH HS basketball is very skewed. I have stated this before and I will state it again. Just 3 or 4 years ago, NH had 5 or 6 players playing DI basketball. I am thinking Hassan, Lotus, Bowen, Roche, guys help me out here. Not too mention many also went DII college Lucas Croteau (sp). You are completely dismissing these players. Not too mention Bigman and The Assistant mentioned four kids who are currently playing DI. Some coaches and fans might say that HS basketball has been down the last couple of years. See DII (class I)no BIGMEN.
That is not to insult any of these players, there are players at DI HS who I think will play DI ball college and one is going to Prep School next season and wears and spells Green. I also think Madol has a shot, and the big kid from Trinity. I am sure I am missing someone, I apologize.

Last edited by boxout on Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Of course don't forget Bonner is in the NBA.)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Chikid - You have to remember that for virtually every HS varsity player, this is the end of the road as far as organized competitive athletics is concerned. The true purpose of HS athletics is to teach life lessons of hard work, teamwork, sportsmanship, winning & losing with class, etc... It does not exist primarily to promote the scant few who move on to play in college.

According to the NCAA - only 3.1 % of all the highschool seniors will go on to play basketball at an NCAA school. 3 out of every 100.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/ncaahome?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/ncaa/NCAA/Academics+and+Athletes/Education+and+Research/Probability+of+Competing/Methodology+-+Prob+of+Competing

Only Ice Hockey has a percentage over 10% and very few schools even offer it.

So its rather foolish to suggest that the goal High School athletics is to get kids ready for college.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty I never said...

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:56 pm

I never said that coach Murray should do anything different for the sake of anything other than winning that game. However Coach Curl who I think I know a little better than you did liked seeing Mitchell defend man on man and the effort he put forth. You talk to any college coach one of the first things they want to make sure of is defense. Playing zone hides some of the issues less athletic players have when extending the defense and manning up. That is my point. He got to see Mitchell defend on the ball instead of off the ball. I have no clue why Coach Murray decided to switch it up but it is clear to me both worked.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty Both Worked?

Post  boxout on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:12 pm

I agree however you are still dismissing that a player did not play, meaning that your child may not have guarded Walker, again. I also notice you take about 15 debates and run around in circles constantly.

I think you might be surprised next fall at the differences between HS basketball and DIII college. I believe the overwhelming reasons why kids quit sports is no longer interested, not talented enough, girls, and grades are just a handful.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty My Input?

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:21 pm

My input? What input did I have in anything other than what Coach Curle talked to me about? I am actually talking to two people right now between you and JT. One argument is about zone and the shot clock and the other has veered off to what Coach Curle discussed with me after both games. I have not discussed once why coach Murray did what he did. I have not even discussed it with my son. However the fact remains that putting Mike on Walker definitely showed his future coach more than the zone he played in AAU and defending a spot up shooter in the first match up. Not sure why you have issues with this at all really.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty We were all talking about...

Post  boxout on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:32 pm

the shot clock and defenses. You decided that you had to give specific examples of a certain player, and how his career has suffered because he didn't get to play man o man o against Walker. Thankfully they were down a player and Walker and Mitchell could match up. Other wise he probably wouldn't have. Just a side note? Did it work? Kamahl was Portsmouth leading scorer in that championship game with 11 points, he scored more than 25% of his teams points. Walker actually held Mitchell to 6 points and only 4 assists. They both played similar games in this contest. Walker is only a Junior, he fared very well against the, "Best Point Guard in the State" senior. I was impressed with Walker and see him attending a DII college. That shot he hit against Souhegan was the biggest shot I have seen in DII all season long. Walker also had a heck of a tournament.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty Just the facts..

Post  boxout on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:57 pm

Actually Milford beat Portsmouth in the regular season rather comfortably and Walker had 8 with Holder guarding him. Holder had 20 points, and 14 rebounds in that game. Did it work? Shall I continue?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:57 pm

As far as Kamahl goes yes he scored 11 points on close to 15+ shots many of them were forced so yes he scored 25% of his teams points but that doesn't mean he was being very productive while doing so. Mitchell really frustrated him by trying to limit him from going left it worked. And I really think you are just trying to get Chi-kid going, but just because Kamahl outscored Mitchell doesn't mean he played better so the sarcastic "best point guard in the state" comments probably are unnessecary. I think Mitchell got the best of Mr.Walker in that game, According to the UNH stats he had 6 and 4, I had him at 6 and 7, and a few other people I talked to (not only Chi-kid) thought he had more than 4. But even if Mitchell did only have 6 and 4 assuming none of those 4 assists were 3's he accounted for 30% of Milfords points and did it on far fewer shots so if you want to look at it that way even I think Mitchell still has the better game because that's not all he did. Comparing them in this game are completely different though. Kamahl is not only his teams PG he's there scorer, Mitchell's not the primary scorer so comparing stats between the two makes no sense. I think Kamahl is a good player, if he can get stronger with his right hand he could be very good and I agree has the potential to go D2, but he certainly has somethings to work on.

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Lets everybody take a deep breath...and move along...nothing to see here...this thread is on lockdown watch...

Keep it cool and quite antagonizing one another. (this is not a comment at any one poster specifically, you all know who you are and what you're doing)

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty Thank you...

Post  boxout on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:04 pm

Big man I understand how stats can be misleading. It is strange that they didn't give Walker's assist total. I can think of two off the top of my head. You also mentioned Big Man, that Walker has to do more, yes he also has to do more on the defensive end as well. He didn't have a Holder, O'Loughlin, and Nelson behind him. Walker did not have 2 other All-Staters on his team.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock? - Page 2 Empty Only my sons

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:06 pm

I only throw out my own stats because I know he is not interested in this blog at all. So me discussing it has no effect on him what so ever. I thought my son did a great job on Walker and so did coach Curle.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum