New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

All-State Selections

+6
Tuesday and Friday
chicagokid43
JT_nh_hs_fan
boxout
Tulliver
Hoop Fan
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty This child...

Post  boxout Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:33 pm

is going to bed. Someone will get the trvia answer. Another hint he played with Neil Hunington who is the GM of the Pittsburgh Pirates.
It might be a little late to remember those players, the season is over.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Re: All-State Selections

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 pm

In regards to other great PGs, I'll offer up Adam Lirette from Dover High School. I saw him play in HS and caught a couple of his college games as well. Chikid, If your son does as well as Adam did in college, he will have had a wonderful career.

Adam starred at Dover and had a great game in the NH/VT Rotary game. He hit a ridiculous 3ptr to win that game. He had a great 4 years at WPI including 4 League titles & 4 trips to the NCAA Tournament. He earned both all-conference and academic all-conference honors.

By the way, as a senior he averaged 15 pts, 8 assists and 5 rebounds a game (These are numbers from the Fosters article on him being their POY that year - Yes -from the seacoast area only!) and only made 2nd team Class L all-state. He led Dover into the 05 championship game only to lose a heart-breaker to the Tyler Roche/Joe Fremeau/Matt Lemieux led Central team. At the time, there were many people here in this area saying it was a no-brainer that he should have been 1st team.

I bring this to the table to show this not the first time a top player was placed on the 2nd team.

Here is the link to the write up on him from 2005 and the story about the NH/VT game.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050428/GJNEWS_01/50428057

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050718/GJSPORTS_01/107180092

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Good night Chi-kid

Post  boxout Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 pm

I guess I am nuts and putting words in your mouth, seeing it was you who posted your sons career statistics on yearly award. I also believe you mentioned this same statistics a month ago. I have no issues with you at all.

Last edited by The Assistant on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inflammatory, take it up over PM with one another)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Yeah ok,

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:59 pm

The talk on here about my son was started by others not myself. I never posted that he deserved anything more than he got. I honestly do not care that he got second of first. I think if you worry about individual awards you play the game differently. So you can think what you want about my motives but I know I did so to thank those for posting he was jipped.

Last edited by The Assistant on Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inflammatory)

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Wrong

Post  basketballtime Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:02 am

Sorry to say JT_nh_hs_fan but when you posted this Also, as far as those other 3 boys not making that particular AAU team, seems to me people on these sites are constantly asking for other people to stop putting down kids based your personal opinion of what they may or may not be capable of achieving. Did those 3 actually tryout and not make the team? If not, I would say your negative remarks about them need to be rephrased. .

I was wondering why you consider that making negative remarks? I was simply stating the facts like you were when you clearly said Mitchell doesn't have big enough numbers to make the list? And i totally disagree with that. Anyone knows that just putting up a high average point total for the season doesn't make you the best player out there although there sure does seem to be a lot of people thinking that way. And by the way i didn't say the other three were bad players i think they are great players but i don't see them playing at the level or for the teams Mitchell has played for this year thats all. And i totally disagree with you saying that aau doesn't count for anything because we all know that coaches talk to each other all the time and are aware of what other players are doing in the off season or for that matter what they are achieving So if you truly did follow Mitchell this summer and saw the games he played for the Jayhawks and the teams they beat and the players he had to go against you wouldn't even be saying this stuff in the first place.But my guess is you haven't a clue and your stuck on NH basketball. Plus i hate the fact that some people think you have to have big time stats to be considered a first team selection. For me it shows ignorance of the game.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Switching this up

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:14 am

Switching this up a little, I wish we knew the vote totals. Jamie Holder must have been close to POY also. With the year he had I am sort of shocked he did not get it when Spirou got injured. Anyone else think Jamie had a chance?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 am

basketball time

"So if you truly did follow Mitchell this summer and saw the games he played for the Jayhawks and the teams they beat and the players he had to go against you wouldn't even be saying this stuff in the first place."

Hmmm....Seems some of those coaches your talking about disagreed with your assesment. You seem to want to believe that a career/off-season resume is given more weight than the performance of the actual season. Clearly by the results of the vote you are wrong.

My point about the numbers was not that Mitchell needed to score 20, but merely the obvious fact that in order for 3 players from one team to occupy 1/2 of the 1st team, they would ALL need to be significantly above the rest of the pact. Seeing a team get 2 on a 1st team is not uncommon, 3 is. He was simply the odd man out in this case. I would have said the same thing if it were one of the others on 2nd team. Whether you want to believe it or not is completely irrelevant. The fact it hardly ever happens is the factual proof. I have over the years talked with many of the coaches here in this area about it and have never once heard any of them bring up the things your talking about as part of their thought process. They do discuss players between themselves - that is a given, but your out on a limb if you think that any player makes or does not make 1st team based on their summer AAU performances or the previous years efforts. The one thing about this process I dislike is that we do not get the numerical results so one can see there is not a big difference in the vote totals when something like this happens.

As far as your previous year's performance carrying over, I would say take a look at Jon Pike from Exeter. Class L First Team as a junior, then 2nd team as a senior. He did not have as good a senior year, and did not make 1st team. He averaged over 20.2 and 5 boards a game as a senior after putting up 24 a game as a junior. Even scoring 20 a game and having a 1st team honor in your pocket does not guarantee you a 1st team spot.

As far as that being a put down, no it was not it was a fact. You on the other hand think 3 kids could never even make the team Mitchell was on, well again clearly your opinion did not line up with the opinions of the states coaches. I wonder which one would be closer to the coaches of those AAU teams you mentioned. Again, do you even know if they tried out? I know I don't know, so I will not sit here and say all 3 of them could not even make the team. That statement itself is just plain foolish and to use your words - clueless and ignorant. So how many times have you seen Walker play? 2? 3? Yet you "know" he could not make those teams.

I am not a homer nor do I have any horses in these races. Most of the games I saw this summer were the college/mens summer leagues in Portsmouth & Nashua. How many of those games did you attend? As I have said here many times, I like to follow the NH kids through HS and into college.

The Serious Summer league here in Portsmouth had a quite a large number of current and past college players. I would highly recommend any kid looking to play in college consider looking into playing here if they can work it into their summer schedule. The games are spread out pretty good over the summer. The physical level of play is much closer to the college level than what I have seen in the BST league over the past 3 or 4 years. Playing against guys that played or are playing D1, D2 and D3 is great experience. As an example -Their All-League team consisted of Greg Lacasse(Bentley, Europe & MVP of the league), Matt Carr (WPI) , Lewis Atkins(Alabama A&M), Danny Ford(Rivier) and Duncan Szeliga(Colby-Sawyer), Chris Petzy (St. Joes) and Jeremy Colon (RPI). Kudos to NHSportspage for their coverage of both leagues.

Over the last few years, I have been able to talk to most of these guys and others in the Portsmouth league. Every one of them confirmed that playing in a league with current and older college players would better prepare an incoming freshman for college ball. Lacasse is a workhorse, I have seen him play in both the Portsmouth & BST leagues. If your a forward or center heading to the next level, you really need to get on the court and bang with him.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:44 am

chikid - I have a feeling there was not much difference between those top 3 (Spirou, Holder & O'Loughlin)

Just as I believe there was very little difference in the next 4 0r 5 spots.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:14 am

"Plus i hate the fact that some people think you have to have big time stats to be considered a first team selection. For me it shows ignorance of the game."

The point you seem to have missed was not that you needed big stats to be considered, I NEVER stated that. Obviously he was considered, and I am sure he was on 1st team on a majority of the ballots. You do realize how that voting works right?

If you follow the Nashua area so closely you only have to go back to '07. Ben Etten won POY and he did not have huge numbers. In 08 it was Casey Maue from Hanover, again not huge numbers. '09 I believe was Hojlo with a big stat sheet. It is a given that you do not require 20 a game. BUT when you are talking about placing 3 on the team, you are going to have have 3 who all are head & shoulders above the rest. As I just stated for Chikid, my belief is there was not much difference in the voting points totals for the 4 or 5 positions below the top 3. This happens all the time in these kinds of situations.

If you want to see more fun talk about this, go to the NEWMAC forum on D3boards.com. I have made it clear that I have followed the WPI team for the past number of years due to the flow of NH players (2 from the Nashua area) that have gone there and had great success.( I also have followed many of the guys at Plymouth State, but the team succcess there has been very disappointing.) Their all-conference 1st team only had 1 guard on it and he was a shooting guard from WPI who was the league's POY. There was just as rowdy a discussion about the MIT PG not making 1st team there. He certainly had numbers worthy of it and was definitely considered, but the vote tally placed him on the second team.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:44 am

I think this is good educational discussion for some of us. Lets not let it get nasty or take things personally, or be inflammatory towards another in our postings.

JT is not stating he think stats should decide the All-State vote. That would be impossible anyway b/c NHIAA/NHCBO don't keep any stats besides points, and we all know that points alone are a horrible way to measure a players worth. He merely is stating if you're going to have 3 players on a 1st team, statistics would likely be a driving force for that third candidate. It probably will never happen in this State.

I can convincingly agree with JT regarding how the coaches vote on All-State. It's from the 10-11 season only. No AAU, no previous year, no 2011 playoffs. You read Haleys post on how he picks his All-State selections (by talking with coaches, etc.) and for the Coaches its a very similar process. Yes, they typically only see a player once a year (in DI - maybe never in DII) but they have a fraternity of Coaches that they discuss things with on a regular basis.

As for the Milford talk on the board this year - everybody needs to remember they went 22-0 and won the State championship. If Portsmouth does that next year you can bet that we'll get a whole new group of contributors that will likely spur the conversation in the Clippers direction.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Philosophers

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 am

In the words of the philosopher T & F who has inspiration from another philosopher, Rodney King:

"Can we PLEASE just all get along here."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Sorry

Post  basketballtime Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:04 am

Sorry JT but still don't buy it. First of all i know the level of basketball you have to play when competing against a team like the expressions,CBC,Playaz and many more teams that have a slew of Divison one players on them and it doesn't take a genius to know those three would not be on the floor playing against them. If you think differently then you need to go watch a tournament some time to see what the next level is all about. And by the way your info on Portsmouth's league is wonderful to know about i think thats great that Portsmouth has a league like that but then again so does pretty much every other big cities around the state. Now if some of the coaches disagree with it what does that really tell us? It tells us some of them get it and some of them don't. Is that a surprise to anyone? If anyone got the chance to see the all star game up in concord you got to see the selection of the best top players in NH for all the divisons and if you watched Mitchell play that game or for that matter the BST all star game or like i said earlier any of his aau games or even head to head against the three players then you would clearly see why he got ripped off from being first on the list. And thats my only point here and that and that alone. I would be willing to take an outsider's view of all three of those player's anytime and i know without a doubt that would be a different lineup.

Last edited by The Assistant on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Took out some stuff that isn't accepted. Couple of you are now teetering on the edge of taking a week off from the Forum.)

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:15 am

basketballtime wrote:And by the way your info on Portsmouth's league is wonderful to know about i think thats great that Portsmouth has a league like that but then again so does pretty much every other big cities around the state.

Actually - no mens/summer league in NH comes close to comparing to that league. It's by far the best in the State. Not even close.

basketballtime wrote:Now if some of the coaches disagree with it what does that really tell us? It tells us some of them get it and some of them don't. Is that a surprise to anyone? If anyone got the chance to see the all star game up in concord you got to see the selection of the best top players in NH for all the divisons and if you watched Mitchell play that game or for that matter the BST all star game or like i said earlier any of his aau games or even head to head against the three players then you would clearly see why he got ripped off from being first on the list. And thats my only point here and that and that alone. I would be willing to take an outsider's view of all three of those player's anytime and i know without a doubt that would be a different lineup.

First of all, let me say I think Mitchell deserves a first team nod. Great season, made the other 2 on his team better, etc. I will however play devils advocate with some of your statements here BBalltime. If you are using the All Star game in Concord (which had NO defense, I saw the highlights) as a measuring stick I would have issue with that.

I really don't think JT is saying he shouldn't be on the 1st team. All he, or anybody, has said is that historically it really hasn't happened, and for it to happen all 3 players would need to have sensational seasons. Very hard for 1 team to have 3 players with the statistics and intangibles needed for all 3 to beat out the other 60 starting players from around Division 2.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 am

Mr. Haley has released his DI picks...and I was right, Donnelly on 1st as it should be. No disrespect AT ALL do Gallant or Floras, but I think if you're picking 5 guys from DI, he got it right.

http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=626

NHsportspage First Team

Sean McClung Bishop Guertin
Connor Green Bishop Guertin
John Wickey Manchester Central
David Madol Manchester Memorial
Caleb Donnelly Alvirne

Second Team

Joe Gallant Salem
Dimitri Floras Merrimack
Mike Colby Londonderry
Shomari Morgan Manchester Memorial
Wol Majong Trinity

Third Team

Tyler Gendron Merrimack
Gabe LaCount Manchester Central
Kenaan Al-Darraji Dover
Dominic Paradis Spaulding
Anthony Muccioli Nashua South
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Nh sports page

Post  basketballtime Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:20 am

Just read Mr Haley's picks for d2 team and NH Note books also i would have to agree with both their first team picks 100%. And by the way would love to see some teams go head to head with the BST Gate city classic all star team vs the Portsmouth all star team. As far as nobody playing defense in the all star game anyone could clearly see he was one of the best out there because even though there might not have been top notch defense everyone was playing on an even playing ground. Plus there is nobody that could change my mind about the others playing the way Mitchell did against the players he faced in aau sorry.I have seen all three of those players play and it only takes few minutes to know if any of those three could step on the floor and not only play but compete and win against that type of talent. If your not sure what type of talent I'M talking about look up last year's aau teams like the Playaz, CBC,NY Gauchos, NY long island lightning and so on and so on. Take a look at the kids that play in that league and what level they are. And if you truly know anything about basketball outside of NH you will understand its a whole different ball game.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:42 am

"it only takes few minutes to know if any of those three could step on the floor and not only play but compete and win against that type of talent"

- I removed this comment because I think it's detrimental to the kids - The Assistant

By the way, in order for Walker, Cordts, & Carney to make first team, the majority of the 23 coaches (Milford's coach cant vote for his own) had to think they were right there with Milford players and Spirou. I again will state its a shame the vote toals are not made public.

Last edited by The Assistant on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Some of you post was inflammatory JT, and some detrimental to the kids, please be more careful.)

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:55 am

One other thing, since you seem to want to go on & on about this.

If your team has 3 players who are that good and in your opinion so far above everyone else then why didn't Milford win that title game by 30 or more. If you take your "logic" to its natural conclusion, that would be the case. I mean outside of 2 players, Portsmouth had nothing, right? Yet over 32 minutes, the difference was 6 points. Seems to me that all the eyes watching those minutes at UNH would say there is not as big a difference as you claim.

"I really don't think JT is saying he shouldn't be on the 1st team. All he, or anybody, has said is that historically it really hasn't happened, and for it to happen all 3 players would need to have sensational seasons. Very hard for 1 team to have 3 players with the statistics and intangibles needed for all 3 to beat out the other 60 starting players from around Division 2."

Assistant - thank you for trying to explain my position, I thought I was pretty clear about it, but you never know.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:57 pm

basketballtime wrote: Plus there is nobody that could change my mind about the others playing the way Mitchell did against the players he faced in aau sorry.I have seen all three of those players play and it only takes few minutes to know if any of those three could step on the floor and not only play but compete and win against that type of talent. If your not sure what type of talent I'M talking about look up last year's aau teams like the Playaz, CBC,NY Gauchos, NY long island lightning and so on and so on. Take a look at the kids that play in that league and what level they are. And if you truly know anything about basketball outside of NH you will understand its a whole different ball game.

Agree with you here Basketballtime, unfortunately those performances don't matter when it comes to the NHIAA 10-11 basketball season, which is what the NHBCO picks their All-State based on.

He and others were recognized for those AAU performances by being chosen to "All Tournament Teams" for the respective tournaments/jamborees/etc they played in.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:59 pm

JT_nh_hs_fan wrote:If your team has 3 players who are that good and in your opinion so far above everyone else then why didn't Milford win that title game by 30 or more. If you take your "logic" to its natural conclusion, that would be the case. I mean outside of 2 players, Portsmouth had nothing, right? Yet over 32 minutes, the difference was 6 points. Seems to me that all the eyes watching those minutes at UNH would say there is not as big a difference as you claim. .

Some would say, "that's why the ball is round". In other words, it can bounce in any direction on any given night. I think you saw 2 talented teams and 2 really good coaches go at it. The championship floor tends to level the playing field as well.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

All-State Selections - Page 3 Empty Why didn't they win by thirty?

Post  basketballtime Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:22 pm

Congratulations Basketballtime you just got yourself banned for a week. - The Assistant

Last edited by The Assistant on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inflammatory posting towards another forum member)

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Assistant - My Appologies, I should have just been the better man and let it go.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Just got back from work and it looks like some Forum members couldn't heed the words of the 2 philosophers, Rodney King and T & F. Embarassed

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3