D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty D1 Boy's Semi Finals

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 am

It is a privilige to start discussion on the D1 Boy's Semi Final games for:

March 15th at UNH - 6:00 pm Trinity vs Alvrine 7:30 pm BG vs Central

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Re: D1 Boy's Semi Finals

Post  EBlessNHSP on Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:21 am

Alvirne/Trinity - I think this might be the year that Alvirne gets over the hump. Sophomore Livingston playing well inside complementing Tomaswick, and Tony Beaulieu (sp) really playing well getting the rim offensively. His penetration allows Caleb Donnelly to spot up. This team has really rounded out offensively. Defensively they mix it up and have done a great job on the opposing teams best player. They almost beat this Trinity team in Hudson this year and I just get the feeling that their run is going to continue.

Central/BG - I think this is the Championship game in Div I. Whoever wins this should take the title. But ask me again later in the week if Alvirne manages to get to the finals, I'm sure I'll try to make a case for them (yes, I'm rooting for my former program - I'm not covering any of the games so it's allowed!). These are the two teams that have been the best all year long IMO. BG has the athleticism and depth, Central the size and strength. Tough pic, but I think BG wins - but it won't be by much. Central could very easily win this game by slowing the tempo and pumping it in to Wickey all night.

Wish I could be there for the games, but I'm catching a flight out of town in an hour...good luck in the Semi's to all the players, coaches and fans. They're sure to be EPIC.

On a side note: Other than creating this forum, I think the use of the word "Epic" last Thursday night is probably my greatest contribution to date. cheers

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:33 pm

I'm back and forth on the Alvrine - Trinity game. Yesterday I was on Alvrine like a cowboy on a Bronco. Today I'm on Trinity like a raccoon hat on a Pioneer. I'm going to give it one more night's sleep and a 24 oz cup of coffee tomorrow am before I make a pick.

I have a solid feeling about BG- Central, but sleep and coffee will do my pick wonders. I do know my TPP will be pushed to it's limits with the mental energy I will exert thinking about these 2 semi final matchups.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty One team led the league in offense, the other in defense.

Post  GNG on Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:19 pm

Both teams have offensive superstars, both teams have their share of defensive stalwarts. The one big advantage that I see for BG is the bench. Central has Pelletier [AND HE IS GONNA BE A GOOD ONE}, but after that not to many kids get minutes.If Wickey gets in foul trouble that could be an issue. Guertin is able to bring Kelly,{tazmanian devil like defensive force}, Holler {3 point range is limitless,and I love his defense}, Kesty {slasher who is not afraid to put up a 3}, McCarthy[ 6FT 5 IN, who can do anything, Guertin would be sitting home without his performance against Spaulding}. Don't forget Chartrand and Paul who are pretty darn good.

That's where I see this game being decided is the bench. In the first game , Guertin played a zone in the 1st half because of all the injuries and didn't press until the second half. This time it will be full court pressure the whole game. It wears on teams,especialy teams that aren't deep

Another thing I like in BG'S favor is senior leadership. These kids are on a mission, much like the seniors from Spaulding. They might not win , but they are going to give you everything they have and then some.What some of these kids lack in talent ,they more then make up for in HEART.

Should be a great game.BG advances.

Onto the other game. Alvirne I don't think Trinity will go 9-36 from the 3 point line, and 1-14 from the free throw line. Trinity advances. Be happy bronco fans I have been picking against you all tourny long. I didn't want to jinx you by picking you.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:29 pm

If I had to bet money on one team I would put the money on BG. They have best team on paper and I couldn't put Central or Trinity ahead of them. However I think Central or Trinity will win one of the games against them just not sure of which team (that makes sense right?) My reasoning is based on a couple things. BG's shot selection can be atrocious at times with way too many forced shots, not crazy about the substitution patterns with way too deep of a bench, add Central or Trinity's ability to take the air out of the ball and both teams' abilities to rebound on the defensive boards I think could spell a recipe for disaster for BG. I have not seen Alvirne play this year so I really can't comment ...I won t be able to make the first game this week so hopefully we get many updates on this site should be some great games.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Two Easy Picks

Post  chicagokid43 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm

Well I often get to this time of year and pick upsets because til the season. However from this point on I think in both divisions I will trust the seedings. BG and Trinity tomorrow and BG wins the final. Wednesday night same deal. Portsmouth and Milford wins setting up a repeat of last year. I think Milford taste it now and really wants to put a stamp on things. BG and Milford will then do a event to end the season. D1 vs D2. It has been suggested and if the money goes to a good cause I think the NHIAA and the fans should jump behind it. Many of these guys are friends so I think they could do it,put on a great show and maybe even make some money for a good cause in the process.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  abball on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:43 pm

I think both games are going to be really interesting. For the Alvirne Trinity i think its two different styles. Trinity wants to get the ball down low and use the inside more where as alvirne wants to get thier guards out and use more of the preimeter. Two totally different styles. Its actually how in 09 it was switched. Trnity was about getting out and running and using primeter play where as to alvirne was about getting it to donnelly and sweeny. I honestly dont know who will win this game. Alvirne is 0-3 at UNH and all thier games have been against Trinity. Trnity has thier number as of late. But alvirne is playing the best ball right now. And thats a huge factor. Alvirne only lost by 2 in the regular season and were winning for the majority of the game. They really shut down the low post. So i really dont know about this game. In my opionion it is a toss up 50/50.

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty A WALK IN THE PARK

Post  GNG on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:26 am

That my friends is what BG seniors have today,unfortunately it's in Boston and not in Durham. The BG senior field trip/ historical scavanger hunt takes place in Beantown today. Nothing I like better on game day then running around Boston. The hoop parents tried to have them postpone it to their rain day, as did the coaching staff. No support from Tony Johnson on this one. He feels it will have no effect on the boys. Many have said if this was the football team and it was the semi finals there is no way this trip would be held. BG is saying "academics before athletics" which I agree with, but this field trip is a MAJOR screw off day.

Not using this as an EXCUSE in anyway if Guertin loses, just wanted people to be aware of the situation. Get on a bus at 8 am,drive to Boston, run around taking pictures with historical significance, get back on the bus back to BG at 2:30. Get off the bus get on another bus at 4:30 go to Durham, watch a game, then play a game.

I am on of TOJO'S biggest supporter's, but I think the athletic department and administration really dropped the ball on this one. Three weeks ago my son and I toured Suffolk University. I remember vividly how tired he said he was going to practice that night. I realize they are kid's, but kid's get tired too. These kid's have worked so hard to get to this point ,it's a shame that Coach Mignault, Coach Edwards,and Coach Smilikas are not being given a normal school day for these kid's.

Are the crazy BG parents right on this one or not? I am curious to see what the forum members think of this. What if it was your team, your kid? I much rather have my son SITTING in school, then RUNNING around Boston.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty GNG I would be having a Fit

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:35 am

As my momma would have said, that's just plum crazy! I would be having a fit as well. Let's hope it makes no difference. I suggest a quiet bus ride with a nap all the way to UNH.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:47 am

Holy BG basketball shirt !! I had a good night's sleep, an awesome start to the day with a holy water type cup of coffee running through my veins helping me to confront what ever today has to offer and ready to make my picks in the semis.

Then, I read the Zero Hour posting of GNG with the BG senior trip. My percentage picks were firmly in place. Visions of wearing BG and Milford tee shirts were in my fashion mind. Now this...... All right I do have to toe the Forum line and venture forth.....

....with my picks:

Alvrine - Trinity: This past weekend I was all over Alvrine. All I though about was Cinderella cleaning D1 gym floors at Merrimack and Memorial. Hosting gyms telling the Broncos to sweep the floor and after you lose don't forget to clean up your locker room and sweep the gym floor before you board your bus back to Rte 102. A funny thing happened in those 2 games. The Broncos cleaned up the prelim and quarterfinal games also by winning them. They have team karma and momentum fully on their side. One thing has stuck in my mind with the 2 Bronco playoff wins. They caught Merrimack on a Mt Everest downward slide and beat Memorial in OT as the Crusaders did their best to "missed 3 point the game" on a silver platter. Team karma or opponents not doing what they should've or could've done? Trinity is a funny 17 - 3 team. A lot of people I talk to think something eventually will catch up to Trinity. That something was almost Londonderry last Friday when they had a large lead at the McHugh gym in the first half. A big thing to watch for the Pioneers is Wol Majong. If he is handling the ball well, driving nicely and hitting pull up shots then Trinity's offense seems to flow better. Trinity has been the UNH road block for Alvrine the last few years. Now, Alvrine goes into the Lundholm gym tonight and will see a big sawhorse on the other side of the court that says PIONEERS.

One last thing that sticks in my head:

Caleb Donnelly

Alvrine 51% Trinity 49%

BG - Central: I am so glad this is the 2nd game tonight. It will be a tremendous game. Loose balls will be fought for like world wars. The competitiveness factor is through the charts. A deep team vs. a thin team. A classic matchup. Doc said in today's UL he guarantees his team will hold BG under their offensive average. He also said defense is the one thing you can count on at UNH as opposed to offense. Doc trying to get in BG's head for tonight's 7:30 pm game? Perhaps. BG has waited for this week for one year. This whole season has been motivation to get to this point. The Cardinals are healthy and ready to play. Central is ready to fight, scratch and claw to get any type of victory tonight. BG might use a lot of people this year, but players understand their roles more than they did last year. Understanding your role in a 10 to 11 man rotation? Absolutely. Understanding redemption, the senior moment and this is it? No question.

BG 52% Central 48%

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty That's a bold statement by Doc.

Post  GNG on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Now comes the hard part, backing it up. Things you want to watch out for.1 - What team controls the pace? BG wants uptempo, Central wants slow/no tempo.

2 Foul trouble. Guertin should be no issue, because Migs has more bodies then a morgue. Central can ill afford anyone to get in foul trouble.

3 Foul shots. Don't want a repeat of that Memorial 1-14 from the charity stripe by either team.

4 Whose tired? Which kids are bent over grabbing at their shorts in the 2nd half.

5 Rebounding. Comes down to who wants it more.

6 Heart. Which kids will run into/thru a brick wall to save a loose ball.

Can't wait.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Boston trip?

Post  shaggy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:56 pm

Not sure I agree with GNG's perspective on how tired the lads will be tonight after their Boston boondoggle. I guess we'll see. It's going to be a good matchup. I wonder if the kids take it as seriously as the parents? My guess is not! My pick is BG by 11.

shaggy
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:02 pm

I have to disagree completely. I'm on board with GNG in pretty much everything he said, if this was fooball season trip would've been cancelled or the senior football players wouldn't have been going. I do think it will have some effect on them, bus ride to boston, running around boston all day bus back to nashua then another to durham that's a lot of time spent on a bus, hopefully they left early enough to avoid traffic that's really what I'd be worried about if I was a BG parent/Migs and coaching staff. Also thinking that the players don't think it's that serious are you talking about the trip and then having to play?

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Totally agree with B-Man and GNG.

If this was the BG football team and it was a Friday night playoff game there is no Catholic way in hell the football seniors would be going on a field trip walking around Boston all day, bus, bus etc.

They had a reschedule date and should have used it. End of story.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Here we are...

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 pm

Oh folks get that little knot in your throat, it is crunch time.
I am very happy for all of you that have kids playing tonight. Congratulations and good luck.
I have already given my picks as I did a bracket and it was not popular here.
I still have Trinity and Central left. I am sticking with both.

****Regarding the BG field trip, it is a tough situation. I agree with you too that if it was a football game they would have canceled it. Maybe not for the same reason as you guys. Football has 3 times as many players as basketball. If you guys are making accusations against Coach Johnson I don't know him well enough to give that perspective. I have no dog in this hunt.
My other point about this is...you were all kids back in the day. How many of you truly sat around and waited for a game to be played? Most 17-year-old kids are running around all the time, it is non-stop. Many of these kids play summer leagues, AAU, Camps, and any other sport. My point is many tournaments and camps, kids are playing more than a game a day. I know it is not the same, but at 17 you have endless energy. The only thing the kids may do at the field trip is joke around too much. Sitting in a classroom can be just as negative, it can make me get too pumped up thinking about the game. Trust me sitting in a classroom maybe worse. Having your game face on all day, might not be a good thing. I know few, of them are really learning anything in class today, their mind is on basketball. I don't know guys, I just think you might be overreacting. I do wish you all luck tonight and hope for good results, even if it does mean I am wrong about my picks. I know I am not the normal kid, because I did play sports 24/7. How many of you played baseball in the morning, soccer in the afternoon, and hoop at night? I bet most of you. Some kids even shoot hours before a game, some don't touch a ball till they have too. Everyone is different no matter the situation.
PS I don't think my high school allowed field trips till May anyways.

Last edited by boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : High School thought)

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Alvirne Trinity

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 pm

Trinity 10 Alvrine 0.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:16 pm

^ It's only like 2:30 mins into the game as well. It's early and certainly Alvirne could come back but that looks like it has the potential to get ugly Zach Stevens has already hit 3 3's.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:17 pm

End of First
Trinity 16
Alvirne 7

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty This is great

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:18 pm

Are you listening WGAM?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:19 pm

No I was getting it from twitter, didn't know it was on wgam thanks for mentioning it.

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty WGAM

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:26 pm

GAM does a great job covering the Final Four. Like 5 years ago they use to cover games all season long, it was great. I have always been a Milford fan, but by listening I use to become a fan of South and Central. Pistol Pete Tarrier got me into Spaulding's big run a couple of years ago with Lucas Crouteau(sp). He and Rich Keefe were good together.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Trinity 27 Alvrine 10

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

This is kind of shocking, 10 points at the half by Alvrine.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Ouch

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

Trinity is all over Alvirne after the first half 27-10. Sounds like Alvirne is settling for the first shot they see, sounds like it's going to be tough for them to get back into it. If you want to listen I'm not sure what station WGAM is on the radio but here's the link to there website http://www.wgamradio.com/

Click listen live in the top right corner.

If you haven't been listening, sounds like Trinity's length is really bothering Alvirne blocking/altering many shots just heard 6 blocks they're also working the boards. Zach Stevens is outscoring Alvirne by himself with 12. Donnelly is the leading scoring for Alvirne with 5.

Last edited by bigman44 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Semi Finals Empty Live Game On Radio

Post  boxout on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Wgam is 900 AM in Nashua and 1250 AM in Manchester. These guys are good.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Yes this is very good, again would be great if WMUR or someone would put it on tv but this is great, again appreciate you bringing it up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum