@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Division I Boys Tournament

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty Re: Division I Boys Tournament

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:16 am

I know the officiating is this state is beyond awful but this thread should be about the kids - What GBear should've said.

There you go G-Bear. for your correct English.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  abball on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am

Here is my recap. ChiKid if you can tell me more about the first Quarter i didnt see much i walked in with 2 minutes left and saw it was 8-6 merrimack and i was like what is going on??? So i will begin with the second.

2nd Quarter
After a bad first quarter i would assume Alvirne comes out on fire. Donnelly was great all game. I cant express it enough. He was deadly for outside, slashing to the hoop getting to the line. He has to be a first team all state selection has to be. No one has carried a team more then him this year. But back to the game, Sean dunn provided a nice spark off the bench in the 2nd quarter hitting some threes and playing well on defense. Overall as a team Alvirne played great defense showing Merrimack many different looks. They had to settle for a lot of outside jumpers and 3's. They played mostly zone in the first half and it work well as they only held merrimack to 9 points in the quarter. Floras and Gendron where the main offensive weapons for Merrimack. They shut Floras down very well in the 2nd quarter and made him give up the ball to other players like Amigo and Gendro. Alvirne up at half 26-17.

3rd Quarter
I believe Alvirne came out a little slow here. Thats what let merrimack back into the game. Floras went off this quarter. HItting from all spots in the floor. From mid range to way beyond the 3pt line. Merrimack out scored Alvirne in the quarter 15-8. Merimack started to put on a full court press which gave the Broncos a little bit of trouble. On the opposite side Alvirne switched from 2-3 zone to a box and one on floras having Baldwin, Macdonald, Beaulieu all guard him at one point during the night. Tomaswick did a nice job on the boards tonight so did Donnelly. The only thing that troubled me with the quarter was they were letting Floras get open shots. They also played sloppy and had some turnovers that lead to some fast breaks.This is when they let Merrimack into the game and things got interesting. Alvirne up to going into the fourth quarter. 34-32

4th Quarter
You could tell Merrimack was starting to press. Alvirne got out a was about a 12 point lead at one point. Donnelly was doing what he usually does and they were shutting down Floras for the most part. The still where playing a box and one. With about 4 or 5 minutes left this is when i think was a huge blow to Merrimack was when 22 or 32 fouled out i forget which one it was. I feel like when he was in the game they were better and had a bit more of a low post game. With 4 minutes left Merrimack was down seven and this is when they started to make thier run. The full court press was in full affect and they where getting turnovers. Tyler Gendron was huge in the 4th. You would have thought it would have been Floras but nope Gendron made big shot after big shot to keep it close. With less than a minute left the score was 47-45 Merrimack fouled Tyler Macdonald and he goes to the line. Now Macdonald is not in thier for his offense he is in there to play D this is not who alvirne wants to have at the line but who Merrimack wants. He drains the first one and misses the second one wth 40 something seconds to go Merrimack gets the board and pushes it up court. Now this is where i feel like they could/should have called a timeout because they didnt have a set play. They didnt get a shot of till about 20 seconds to go. They just ran around trying to get someone open. Now is this because they didnt have a timeout? idk but i though they should have done something. Floras is covered and is trying to get the shot off but he finds a wide open Gendron on the top of the key he sinks the three to tie it up with about 14 seconds to go. Alvirne inbounds the ball and gets it over half court with 8 seconds left. Now everyone in the gym knows that they are probably going to try and get donnelly open for a chance to win it. They do they give him the ball he is double teams. He finds a cutting Beaulieu and he puts up the shot he misses there is a fight for the tip. Tomaswick tips it Beaulieu gets the rebound and puts it up. And thats all she wrote. one second left merrimack doesnt have enough time to do anything the try a shot from well beyond half court not even close. The Alvirne fans storm the court the Merrimack fans are in shock of what just happened. So am i. I must say im glad Beaulieu hit the game winning shot because he is one heck of an athlete and sometimes has trouble finishing. But he didnt give up and got the shot to go.

What a great game i must say. Probably one of the best games i have seen all year. It was a defensive battle. Both teams left it all on the floor. I tip my hats to Merrimack because they are still a young team and have a lot more sucess ahead of them. But Alvirne fought harder and wanted it more. Off to Manchester Memorial to hopefully see another upset!!!!

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty Ever watch the Pitt game?

Post  chicagokid43 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 am

Donnelly played great I believe he finished with 21. Gendron had some big threes late that got Merrimack back even. Merrimack should have sped the game up earlier. They actually got back in the game by forcing Alvirne to play fast. However they did not start the press until the fourth quarter. One would have to wonder why they did not do so earlier. Especially with Alvirne sitting in zone or a box in one. I think they waited a bit to long to press.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty First Quarter

Post  chicagokid43 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:26 am

First quarter was pretty sloppy on both sides with each team scoring from the line on a couple of occasions. I think Donnelly did have a three early but not a lot happened early. The story was the second quarter for Alvirne building a lead and the 4th quarter Alvirne getting turned over a few times for some easy buckets and then Gendron hitting a couple of big threes late to close the gap and eventually tie the game. Alvirnes last possession was just a jump ball that Alvirne won and got a tip in to win it. Not much more you can say about that. They crashed and got a few extra pokes at it and that was the ball game. I think that is the toughest way to lose. To come back and get it even on the second to last possession and then lose it on a tip in. Tough one for the Tomahawks.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:38 am

BG over Concord 63-51. Seems a little close for comfort, GNG what went down here?

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  abball on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:42 am

Asst what did Bonney have to say on the game? And do you think Garon is a candidate for coach of the year? I mean from starting 0-6 and now playing in the quarterfinals i must say he must have some votes.

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:53 am

Memorial scored 88 points tonight. The Class L/D1 record is 99 points by Winny in 1996 vs. Keene.

6 different players scored for Memorial in the first quarter as they built a 16 - 6 lead after 1 period. West couldn't do anything on offense in the second. Memorial had many blocks and shot alterations. Memorial outscored West in the 2nd period 29 - 9 and for all intents and purposes the game was over at halftime. Memorial had 4 three's in the 2nd period to bury West. Memorial again had 6 different players score in the 2nd as they had a 45 - 15 lead at halftime.

The only question about the 2nd half was how long the starters were going to stay in for Memorial. They weren't in long as substituting was done freely from about the 5 minute mark on in the 3rd for the Crusaders.

I think Majik Wenyin wound up with about 5 to 6 three pointers for Memorial. He is 6'4 and is lucky if he weighs 99 pounds, but he lit it up like a halogen light from outside the arc tonight.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:54 am

abball - Remember, AS, COY and POY votes are tabulated at the end of the regular season. Any results in the playoffs have no bearing what so ever on any of these awards.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  abball on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks T&F Forgot about that. but what a blowout at Memorial. They are a very scary team i believe. If madol comes to play and morgan than i think they can beat anyone in the state.

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:05 am

migs the merciful should be his name. Game was never in doubt.Tully I can't tell you how glad I am that Dover is out. Now BG gets a chance at revenge at home,and healthy. The boys will have LITTLE trouble getting up for that game.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 am

Here is my recap. Game never in question,up 20, 3 minutes left. BG puts in their last 5. Concord starters still in playing hard. After some bad shot selection and sloppy play the lead dwindles to 10. Migs had to put the starters back in with 1:33 left. Game over. McCarthy had his best game of the year. Spaulding is not going to see the team they saw up in Rochester, They are going to see a much bigger team. These kids REALLY want another shot at the red raiders.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty BG v Conc

Post  JAF on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:28 am

The game started a bit slow (probably like any other playoff game - jitters and nerves). It was only 2-2 and 4-4 about 4 minutes into the game. Migs was upset that the boys were playing Concords game. After a free throw to make a 3pt play, BG picked up the intensity and Concord starting turning it over, making bad decisions, etc. leading to easy BG points. Concord took a few timeouts here, but couldn't right the ship. BG got up by 10-15 by mid 2nd quarter, but with more bench players in the game Concord clawed back a bit to make it 10 at half. Obviously this wasn't the same team that was visiting two weeks ago without a few of their better players. This was the team that played Salem pretty close last week. I would guess that message was sent at half time loud and clear. BG opened the 3rd on fire and got up by 18-22. When the top 8 players were in the game, there wasn't a doubt who was the better team. With about 6 minutes left Migs had the deeper part of the bench in and Concord still with its top players out there decided to press forcing BG into making some bad decisions on shots and passes. With about 2 minutes left Migs summoned the starters to go back into the game and retake control, which they did. Thankfully the Concord coach decided not to make it a foul fest to end the game.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 am

Awesome recap GNG. I ALMOST feel like I was at the BG prelim game. Very Happy

You get the most done with the least.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:40 am

T@F, what you fail to realize is "sometimes less is more". I am not a fancy wordsmith like you, but I believe the good readers of this forum got the gist of the game with my recap. I didn't want to tell you this but I got hurt reading one of your tedious recaps. I fell asleep while reading and cut my forehead on the key board. Litigation was discussed with my wife, but we decided not to pursue {at this time}. Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty BG... More Bulletin Board Material

Post  Salem Bleacher Creature on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:18 am

Well, I guess my bulletin board material to BG was not delivered. They seem like a team destined to lose in the playoffs again. Shouldn't they be blowing everyone out of the water? Also, I keep hearing GNG say they are 12 deep, so why does he mention "bench players"?. Does not 12 deep mean fully interchangeable players? Is it possible that this team is hearing foot steps? I went to Salems game last night as some friends talked me in to it. I can tell you this. When the bench came in, they seemed to get stronger. That 10th grader that they have is the real deal. I am hoping that Salem gets past Central so that they can move on to face BG (have my doubts after the Concord game that BG will even advance). If this happens I will be at UNH to see Cannone, Lorenz and Matthews get revenge on the BG football players. I spoke to some players and fans yesterday, the general feeling is that BG 'escaped' the first basketball game.

(As you can see, I am trying to generate interest for myself.... I really have no clue as to what I am talking about in this arena)
Salem Bleacher Creature
Salem Bleacher Creature
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:41 am

All of your attention should be on Central. You will have your hands full with them. Get by them and you will have plenty of time to bash BG.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty Bash BG?

Post  Salem Bleacher Creature on Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 pm

I wasn't intending to, nor do I think that I bashed BG. Was just triyng to get a little friendly banter going between us. I fully expect to see Salem lose to Central and from what I hear, BG to win the whole thing. So, if you don't want to play along, we won't play.
Salem Bleacher Creature
Salem Bleacher Creature
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty My Mistake

Post  GNG on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:08 pm

I was at the Central - Salem game and it was a great game. Two teams that are very similar. Once again I wish it was being played on a different day so I could attend.

Couple of other observations from last night now that my head is starting to clear up. The atmoshere for a playoff game stunk. The students were not into it at all. The place was 60% full. The whole game had a very blah feeling to it. I am sure Friday will be different.

Don't know the Concord's coach's name,but he is going to be a good one. There was no quit in his kids. I have seen to many games this year when a team gets down alot and stops playing. These kids kept going after it. That is usually a sign of a good coach.

Tulliver, I can't tell you how much I didn't want BG to play Dover. They scared the heck out of me.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Division I Boys Tournament - Page 4 Empty Concord's Coach

Post  middleschoolball on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:55 pm

GNG wrote:Don't know the Concord's coach's name,but he is going to be a good one. There was no quit in his kids. I have seen to many games this year when a team gets down alot and stops playing. These kids kept going after it. That is usually a sign of a good coach.

The coach is Dale Emerson, he coached Bishop Brady at one time and then recently Belmont High School.

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum