@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Mt. Zion B + G Basketball

Go down

Mt. Zion B + G Basketball Empty Mt. Zion B + G Basketball

Post  middleschoolball on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:44 pm

What's up with the remainder of the season of the Boys & Girls Basketball programs at Mt. Zion? All the scored are already entered in the NHIAA web site as 1-0's for the opposite teams. Have they given up trying to play the rest of the season? One other time I saw the 1-0 score is when Winnancunnet was forced to forfeit a game because they used a JV player too many periods(like in the 90's IIRC).

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Mt. Zion B + G Basketball Empty Re: Mt. Zion B + G Basketball

Post  Guest on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 pm

I just came on to post this same thing, they also have numerous 1-0 losses througout the season, aside from the rest of the schedule, have to figure there's no commitment from the teams, but anyone know for sure??

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:46 am

Most Christian high schools have enrollments of between 200 to 300 students. I'm sure Mt Zion is far below that in enrollment number. Sometimes, they literally have some students on their basketball teams that are playing competitive basketball for the first time. If you look at the Mt Zion scores for both boys and girls most of their games are losses in the 30 to 50 point range. The only time they are competitive are when they play other Christian schools. Maybe, they had low numbers to begin with, say 8 to 9 players on their basketball teams and injuries took a toll and they had to forfeit the rest of their games. Maybe, losing by 30 to 50 points every game was too much to take for some players and they didn't want to be a part of the team. All speculation for sure. Sometimes, you do have to wonder if it's even worth it for a school to field a team in a certain sport.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:49 am

I'm pretty surethey are going to a JV only program next year. It's been a tough season for them.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:08 am

I heard they have only about 50 kids in the school... One official I talked to said they had 6 boys players - 1 of whom was sick for a couple of weeks. You have to start with 5 and playing a whole game is challenging.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Mt. Zion B + G Basketball Empty Mt Zion

Post  tarrier on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:31 am

I don't know anything about the Mt. Zion situation...as a matter of fact I have no idea where Mt. Zion is. But, their lopsided losses reminds me of when I played on the JV team at Husson College in Bangor, ME back in the winter of 1990(or 91...I can't quite remember). We had to go against perennial powerhouse Maine Central Institute aka MCI on back to back nights...a team that featured Florida State recruit and future NBAer Sam Cassell and a bunch of other D1 players. Needless to say it was a tough couple of nights in the Newman Gymnasium for the JV Braves. The 1st night we lost
a 130-30 nailbiter...on the 2nd night we kept it to a 75 point loss. My personal highlight was the turnaround banker + 1 that I hit over the 6'9" guy that was covering me(I'm only 6 feet tall and can't jump over a phone book). After I hit the FT I immediately asked out of the game a la George Costanza. Always end on a high note!

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:47 am

Haha great story...you're jubilation was probably echoed several times throughout the season for some of the Zion players. Zion is located in South Manchester, a very small school. According to their athletics schedule on their website they are still playing...but its very possible it hasn't been updated recently.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:06 pm

I heard this story about one of those very small private schools with very small enrollments. In the first week of school they have registrations for teams, clubs etc. This girl had played softball before in junior league. When she went for the sports teams to sign up they put her on the softball team. They told her they would like students to play 2 sports. They asked her if she played any other sports before. She said no, but that she had a basketball hoop in her driveway. She was registered for the basketball team and played that year for the school team.

Notice the word registered is used instead of tryout.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum