New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Ashley Wright & Matt Carr named to Capital One Academic All-District I Basketball First Team

Go down

Ashley Wright & Matt Carr named to Capital One Academic All-District I Basketball First Team Empty Ashley Wright & Matt Carr named to Capital One Academic All-District I Basketball First Team

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:30 am

Saw the annoucement of Carr getting this award in Fosters yesterday, and I looked at the Co-SIDA website and discovered Merrimack's Ashley Wright of Endicott College was also named to the first team on the womens side.

Both Carr & Wright have an opportunity now to be named Academic All-Americans. Players are nominated by their schools Sports Information Director. They must be a starter or an important reserve and must have a minimum GPA of 3.30. The are voted on by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA). Those who are voted onto the first team for their district are put up for the Academic All-American team. This is a tremedendous accomplishment for these two NH natives. Caar also had a teammate named to the third team.

Ashley Wright:

http://www.ecgulls.com/news/2011/2/3/WBB_0203112253.aspx

Ashley Wright (Merrimack, N.H.), a senior guard on the Endicott women's basketball, was named a First Team member of the 2010-11 Capital One Academic All-District ® Women's Basketball Teams as selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA).

Wright and the fellow honorees are being recognized as the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performance on the floor and in the classroom. The Academic All-District ® teams are divided into eight geographic districts across the United States and Canada according to University Division (NCAA Division I) and College Division (NCAA Division II, NCAA Division III, NAIA, Canadian and two-year schools).

First Team Academic All-District ® honorees, including Wright, advance to the national Capital One Academic All-America ® Team ballot where First, Second, and Third Team All-America winners will be selected later this month.

Ashley Wright, a Criminal Justice major and a basketball and softball standout for Endicott, has maintained a 3.77 GPA over the course of her collegiate career while balancing the demands of the student-athlete life. Wright has been in the Endicott Academic Varsity Club for the past three years, a member of the Criminal Justice academic honor society Phi Alpha Sigma, the Mortar Board Honor Society, and Endicott's Dean List.

Athletically, Wright has averaged 11.4 ppg and recently became the seventh Endicott women's basketball's player to reach 1,000 career points. This season, the senior has led the Gulls to a 13-4 (7-0 TCCC) record by averaging 19.1 points, 4.1 rebounds, 3.1 steals, 2.6 and assists per game. In 2010, Wright was named a Third Team All-TCCC selection.

------------------

Matt Carr:

http://wpi.prestosports.com/sports/mbkb/2010-11/releases/20110203iedyxy

Worcester, MA --- Junior Matt Carr (Somersworth, NH) and senior Jeffrey Robinson (Granby, CT) were named to the Capital One Academic All-District I Men's Basketball team by members of the College Sports Information Directors of America (Co-SIDA).

WPI joins Emory, Dallas Baptist and Wittenberg as the only institutions nationwide in the college division to have a pair of players recognized. The college division is comprised of NCAA Division II and III and NAIA programs. District I schools are located in New England, New York and Eastern Canada.

Carr is second on the Crimson and Gray in scoring (13.1 ppg) and leads the squad in rebounds (6.9 rpg), FG%, blocks (37) and steals (30). The center's 60.7 percent from the field also leads the NEWMAC as his 37 blocks are third in the league and 56 offensive rebounds are good for second. Carr has amassed five double-doubles this season and was named the NEWMAC Player of the Week once.

In the classroom, the junior boasts a 3.96 GPA and is majoring in chemical engineering. Carr's IQP Project created content for an online math tutoring system. He will be a two-time member of the NEWMAC All-Academic team.

Robinson leads the nationally-ranked Engineers in scoring and assists and is 11th in the nation at the free throw line (90.4%). The guard leads the NEWMAC in free throw percentage and second in 3-point percentage (43.3%).

The environmental studies major currently has a 3.51 GPA and studied urban forestry for his IQP. Robinson is a 2010 Poly Club award winner which is presented to the top male athlete in the junior class who has outstanding academic records along with campus involvement of a non-athletic nature.

Carr, and the first-team All-District winners advance to the national Capital One Academic All-America Team ballot, where first, second and third Team All-America honorees will be selected later this month

------------------

This is what we hope all our NH athletes will aspire to.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down