@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

1000 point scorers

Go down

1000 point scorers Empty 1000 point scorers

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:26 pm

While discussing the Hanover game with another person I was pushed toward a thought that really got me thinking. Milfords Jamie Holder could possibly reach the 1000 point mark this year and be the third Milford player in three years to do so. I for one am not sure if I have heard of a team having three in such a short time.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty That is a great question

Post  basketballtime on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:45 pm

I wonder how many times that has come up? You could be spending hours researching that one Chikid you might have better things to do like shovel out instead. By the way how close is Holder to 1000?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty Just shoveled and wouldn't you know it I broke the plow!

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:53 pm

Dang it! Anyway, not sure what his magic number is but coming into the season I think he needed to average about 17 a game which he has done I believe so it will be close if he stays healthy and the games we have coming up are not such blowouts that having him on the floor is politically incorrect. I wouldn't know where to begin to research it since the state has so little documented. I cannot remember any two on the same roster but I am sort of consumed by Milford games more than any. I told my son it is a compliment to him that he will be part of that since he can say he had a hand in all three if that does happen. But again it is too bad the state and our athletic department has not done better at keeping those stats and making them public. Would be fun to be able to talk all time points,assist and rebound numbers for the history of the game.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty Re: 1000 point scorers

Post  Guest on Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:58 pm

Obivously Milford going to the Ship isn't a lock, but he needed to average 13 ppg if they made it all the way.

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty monadnock

Post  KG on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:33 pm

i think monadnock had 3 1000s 3 years ago with pelkey and nikiforakis at the same time and then demasco the year after

KG
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty From the seacoast:

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:53 pm

Here is a link to a fosters article from '09 on this subject. It includes the most comprehensive list I have seen so far.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090415/GJSPORTS_01/704059889/-1/FOSSports

Possible 3 at a time -> Keith Friel (2,148, 1996), Greg Friel (1997), Mike Casey (1999) not sure if they all actually played together or not.

As far as an achievement that is unique - Try the Friel family: 5 of them - ALL 1,000 point scorers at Oyster River. Jillian, Jennifer, Greg, Keith & Jeremy.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty Many schools missing

Post  chicagokid43 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Seems like a nice list if you are a seacoast player. Not much seems available for the rest of the state.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:25 pm

I will give Foster's their due on this - they are by far the best newspaper in this state when it comes to covering youth athletics, from little league age to high school athletics. No one else is even close.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:20 am

Agreed. Fosters is top notch. And yes it is a great paper for the Seacoast, and not so much for the rest of the state, which makes sense since they only cover the Seacoast Region.

Unfortunately ChiKid you live in Union Leader/Telegraph country which have only a portion of their articles online, and limited resources. That said, Gary Fitz of the Telegraph is one of my favorite columnists/beat writers in the region.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan on Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:24 pm

Yes, that was my point, they cover their respective area. The other papers in the state really do not give youth athletics much coverage at all. Fosters even has a once-a-week sports watch section where you can get info on kids from the area playing sports in college.

Each and every high school around here gets coverage during the seasons. Even some of the schools from Maine that just over the border get coverage.

In the summer, they do an outstanding job covering baseball from the little leaguers (and not just Portsmouth) and Cal Ripken teams to the the American Legion clubs.

On the subject of the 1,000 pt scorers, I agree with the advent of the 3pt shot it can be easier to achieve this milestone, but its absurd to think it makes the achievement less than it was 35 years ago. The simple fact is today's kids have access to better coaching and playing experiences at an earlier age. These kids are just better overall today than they were years ago. This not only true in hoops, but look at the baseball talent moving on to play in college. A lot of D3 top quailty talent has come out of the seacoast here in the past few years as well as the highly publicized D2 & D1 talent.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum