@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

The State of the NH Sports Forum

Go down

The State of the NH Sports Forum Empty The State of the NH Sports Forum

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:58 am

The Forum has grown tremendously this year. We've got 30 new users since the start of the season, some active, most not, but that's ok. We see 250-400 visitors every day, accounting for several thousand page views. So, the forum is growing.

With a growing forum, a growing user base, and a growing reader base (there are constantly 20-40 non-users "lurking" on the forum) we have a greater responsibility for what we write, who we write about and how we write it. It has become more and more evident over the last week or so, especially with controversial subjects such as Officials, Suspensions and the like.

It's easy for hotly debated topics to get out of control. But honestly, I'd expect this of the high school kids we so frequently discuss, but I know for a fact most of our users are not high school kids. We're adults. We're parents. We're school teachers. We're coaches. We're officials. The people that read our thoughts are all of the above, but also the players themselves. We have a responsibility for our reader-base to think before we post.

I started this forum as the NH Basketball Forum on the Aceboards 3 years ago because when I first go on the NH Scene all I found was the VoyForums which were unmoderated and extremely vulgar and childish. Comments and words were directed at kids, coaches, schools and the like. Just not right. So I took it upon myself and now the two moderators with me to clean up a small portion of the Internet that needed cleaning.

The rules are simple -

Feel free to discuss NH sports here, and if you'd like to add a sport, or discussion area, please contact the Administrator (The Assistant). Please adhere to basic standards of decency and do not hatefully post or flame against schools, players or other members of the board. Enjoy the board for what it is, individual opinion!

I hope that the forum can return to discussing the game of basketball and how it's played by the youngsters in our high schools. There's a lot of good basketball being played and in the last week the basketball has been the side story, which to me is not what this forum is about, or why I started it. Too often I'm moderating posts and comments. I expect more from our educated user base. Please show me that this forum is worth running.

If you don't like the words above, feel free to start another forum, or a blog and be your own voice. Freedom of the Internet is a beautiful thing, but here at the NH Sports Forum there are going to be some basic rules we'll all follow while posting.

1. No "flaming" against players, schools, members of the board, other individuals or officials.
2. Do not discuss grades or academics unless it's an achievement.
3. If you have a problem with another user, do not post it publicly, contact the administrator or a moderator.

Simple. Please contact me if you have any questions via PM or at nhsportsforum@gmail.com.

Now...on with the HOOPS. Basketball

Last edited by The Assistant on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

The State of the NH Sports Forum Empty Re: The State of the NH Sports Forum

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:42 pm

I know it's not Sunday, but to the above posting by Asst, I will simply reply........AMEN.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:46 pm

Well, looks like its time for my yearly update on our current state as there are plenty of grumblings amongst the lurkers and some members as to Banned Members specifically.

Let me first of all remind everybody of the "forum" that once existed called the NewEnglandVoyForums where kids were constantly badgered, ridiculed, called names and bullied to the point that it was just too much. That is why we have this forum here today.

I will never say profess that this forum is perfect. I, and the moderators are first and foremost fans, just like you. We are parents, educators, coaches, players and maybe even referees. We do not always say the right things or even make the best judgments of a particular members intentions. We do however, do our best as a collective group to make sound decisions based on the limited information we have (words on a page).

Banning a member is not a unilateral decision. This is not a dictatorship run by me. In order to ban a member Moderators of the section the poster has been frequenting are openly asked to share thoughts, and a unanimous decision is reached. Every time. I know some may think person X got a raw deal - but you are not privy to the information via PM and other avenues that the Moderators deal with on a daily basis (I get no less than 10 PMs a day). Make no mistake, dealing with the sanity of the board is a time-consuming job that we all do for free, to ensure that this space is a safe-haven for NH Sports talk.

As I have always said, there are plenty of places on the web to discuss your opinion, I just want this space to be free of flaming or negativity towards the kids and HS programs they play for. We will continue to provide that, even if it just ends up being the moderators talking to ourselves!!

The forum continues to grow - last Spring the Baseball Section TOOK OFF with the addition of JAF as our newest Moderator (thank you!) and the increased excitement around the State there was some really great conversation, and rightly so, Baseball is probably NH's biggest hot bed of collegiate and professional talent of the major sports. Additionally I think the NH Sports Forum is one of the BEST places to track and follow former NH players in College or the Pros and we're growing (or trying to keep up with) our listings the best we can (big thanks to JT_nh_hs_fan for his contributions).

So please, if you have an issue PM me directly and I'll address it with you, posts complaining about the forum are not for the public, it doesn't do anybody any good. Lets focus on the student/athletes and games they play and we love to watch and talk about. Happy New Year all!

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum