New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Championship Sunday at Fall League

4 posters

Go down

Championship Sunday at Fall League Empty Championship Sunday at Fall League

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:13 pm

The Fall League semis had 2 entertaining games which had potential all state players abounding. The amazing thing was 3 players impressed me that were role players last year or will be role players this year.

BG defeated Central by about 8 points in the first semi. BG was deeper than Central and it surfaced in the 2nd half. Central hung around for the majority of the game, but every time they made a run the 1-2 punch of Green and McCLung would hit a basket to stem the Little Green tide. Central fell in love with their outside shot in the 2nd half. They needed to mix in a better ratio of slashes to the basket along with outside shooting. It was one of the quietest games I saw LaCount play in summer/fall league games. Junior Brown needs to create more offensive movement if Central wants to contend. I'm chalking up the fact he's coming off football and isn't in basketball mode yet. I'm sure a few weeks of Wheeler practices will be just what the Doctor ordered for this item. Steve Ferge was one player for Central that took it upon himself to create something closer to the basket. He's listed as a generous 5'9, but drove with tenacity finishing a couple of nice drives to the rack amongst the Green and Gold giants. He also knocked down some outside jumpers.

In the 2nd semi final Milford defeated Merrimack. 62 - 55. One of the best things of this game was watching Floras and Holder go against each other. Neither one backed down and it was a treat to watch these 2 very good and highly competitive young men play against each other. With these 2 negating each other Milford simply had more weapons to score. A couple of times Milford tried to stretch a lead to double figures, but Merrimack hung tough with early 3 point shooting from Brandon Malloch and an overall solid game from junior Tyler Gendron. Gendron's length is a little more than his listed 6'4. He has a propensity to put his body in almost Gumby-like swurvy curvies to finish a shot around the basket, get a rebound or make a nice block. Gendron could be shackled, put in a trunk and dropped to the bottom of the Merrimack River and come up for air in 30 seconds. He is a player to watch for all state teams this coming season. He will give Merrimack a nice 1-2 punch with Floras.

The pre game feeling was that BG had the advantage over Milford in the championship game because they were coming off an hour break while the Spartans had 10 minutes to regroup and then get back into the fray. Milford dispelled this notion with a 14 - 0 run in the first 6 minutes of the championship game. In the Merrimack game it was Milford who won. In the BG game it was Milford, defending D2 champs, that came to play. They were firing on all cylinders. An O'Loughlin 3, a Holder slash, A Nelson drive etc etc. A Kesty basket finally ended the run and made it 14 to 2. Milford maintained their good play and had a 36 to 18 lead at half. Milford had another quick start at the beginning of the second half and pushed the lead to 20. BG looked tired, frustrated and their offense seemed on the rocks. Milford spread the floor and seamlessly ran their offense along with some beautiful passing on their fastbreaks and held a healthy 20 plus lead the majority of the 2nd half and secured the Fall League Championship with an impressive 65 - 37 victory.

Kyle Nelson. He is the 3rd of the 3 players that really impressed me on this morning of FL basketball. When you play Milford you know about the Big 3. Nelson slashed, shot, rebounded, blocked and dunked his way to my MVP of the championship game. He poses matchup problems for any Big who plays him since he's usually 15 to 20 feet from the basket on offense. He can keep the defense honest with a 3 here or a jumper there. When the Big plays closer to him he can slash and finish nicely. By Nelson being an offensive threat he clears the middle of the defense for the Big 3 to work their symbiotic magic. Nelson has the potential to be a 2nd team or HM All Stater in D2. If he has a regular season like his FL Championship performance you might have to say Milford has the Big 4.

I know BG was missing Cuipa, Holler, McCarthy etc for the Championship game with Milford, but you do have to marvel how Milford plays THEIR game. With McCallum filling out the starting lineup for Milford you have the "toughest to defend" starting team in the state of NH. All 5 starters can shoot, pass, drive and finish. When I say shoot, not only can the 5 Milford starters hit outside 2's, but they can also knock down the 3. How many starting fives can do this? The best part of watching Milford is seeing them run the fast break. It is text book. There is nothing better than an unselfish passing game to go along with cerebral filling of the lanes in consumating a fast break. Milford does it better than any team. They have played with each other so long that they know where each other is on the court at any time. This component serves them well from minute 1 to 32 in every game.

So, the argument could take hold over the next 4 months as to who is better, BG or Milford? There is a very good possibility both teams will win almost every regular season game, if not all of their regular season games. They will both be pre season #1s in their respective divisions. Milford plays with a rotation of 8 to 9 while BG has the frenzied substitution pattern of 10, 12 or a thousand players. The 2 teams have the potential to put a combined 6 to 8 players on 1st, 2nd or HM All State teams at the end of the year. One team is defending their championship while the other one is trying to win their first state title in a while. No matter who wins D1 and D2 wouldn't it be nice to have a game played between the D1 and D2 champions one week after UNH Title Saturday? Maybe this dream game could be played at the RAC, SNHU or another nice facility. One could only hope and wonder for a game like this to be played. NHIAA would never have a sanctioned game like this being scheduled, but with 4 months to go until the end of the basketball season wouldn't it be great if a few individuals could pool their know how and facilities together so a game like this could be scheduled, have the anticipation and be played. Life is too short. Why not have fun while you are living on earth????

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Championship Sunday at Fall League Empty Re: Championship Sunday at Fall League

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:04 am

I'm officially giddy....thanks for the write up T&F.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Championship Sunday at Fall League Empty Game should be played

Post  Eliot Ness Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:11 am

Without question the games between various divisionchampions should be played to determine the ultimate state champion in NH. While the Divs are generally divided by school population (some exceptions like trinity) athletic/basketball talent and coaching talent can make up for the inequities of a larger school.

Eliot Ness
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:03 am

Mr Ness...I must agree. How much fun would that be? Queue ChiKid...

On a side note, I had to do a double take when I saw a new user named Eliot Ness. My real name is Eliot Bless....thought somebody was messing with me... cyclops
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:39 pm

Yeah, I thought I was seeing double also. We have a member of the Untouchables, but I don't know what organization Mr. Bless is a memeber of.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:46 am

Being that I'm a new parent, I was recently inducted into the Not Enough Sleep On Any Given Night club...we go by NESOAGN. Since Football season just ended, and we're on the subject of State tournaments, is there any other states that have a single champ for FB? Or is this really just a basketball related situation? Given that hoops can play 2-3 times a week lends me to believe that there probably aren't a lot of states that crown a single FB champ.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:08 am

Congrats to our Assistant!!!!

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content