@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale

Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:02 am

The original rules for basketball will be up for sale in December. James Naismith wrote the original 2 pages of rules in Springfield, Mass. Sotheby's in NY will auction off this important piece of history on December 10th. Naismith's grandson, Ian Naismith, says the proceeds from the sale will benefit the Naismith Basketball Foundation, a charity that helps educate children and funds orphanages and youth services.

As soon as I saw this I could think of only one person who deserves to have the first rules of basketball in their possession: ChiKid. Who else would be a better candidate with all the time and energy he gives to the interpretation of the rules of basketball. I think the people of Milford should have fundraisers to accumulate the money needed to bid on this important piece of basketball history.

The original two pages of basketball rules are expected to go for millions of dollars.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty Re: Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:55 pm

Imagine that....a million bucks for a set of rules that would now largely be considered "worthless" on the court.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty Re: Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:00 pm

Don't sell those "original" rules short. If those first rules had a FIBA interpretation to them they still could be used in a basketball league somewhere in NH ........... like Milford, for example.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:56 pm

or even somebodys driveway....like say ChiKids. I can see him declaring "naismith rules" before a one on one game with his son.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:09 pm

No doubt about that.

Senior would get the regular basket in the driveway and Junior would get the peach basket.

Senior would play FIBA rules and Junior would play IABBO. This way Senior would be able to swat Junior's shots off the peach basket brim (not rim) and not face any consequences (Does Senior have any hops?).

This would even things up for the not as young Mitchell.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty wow

Post  chicagokid43 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 am

Wow I was gone from the blogs for one day to return to my own personal hops being doubted. As a player in Gary Indiana I was able to get my hand over the hoop at 5'10 and was also very athletic with good body control and able to finish with contact. I had one of the sweetest jump shots well into my thirties often averaging 4-5 threes a game in mens league. I have learned that the rules of traveling have changed and still think half of the refs in NH have a different opinion of it. Including Mr T and F. I have come to grips with one thing about referee's. No matter which book they read the word interpret allows them to justify either one of them lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:23 am

The above description of a basketball player looks like a description you would see of a HS senior in Scout.com's top 100 HS basketball players.

I am duly impressed.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty Was!

Post  chicagokid43 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:50 pm

I was aiming for top 50 but I will take it! lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty Top 100

Post  basketballtime on Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:16 am

Speaking of top 100 it looks like the NH team gets to play against Pat Connaughton and Noah Vonleh from the Mass Allstar team that should be a blast. By the way anyone know what happen to Jeremys site? I hope his sponsers don't drop him.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty I agree however

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:57 pm

I agree Jeremy however I am now alone in basketball world. I do not see anything being discussed but I hope that once the real season starts that will change. With the request from the Fall league at Rivier/Memorial to not be covered or blogged about it has really taken away from some of the discussions for sure. To bad since there has been some good performances to talk about. This weeks playoffs have some nice match ups as well as a final four that could have some great match ups.

There was some good/bad news on the BST NH team front. Madol is no longer on the roster but John Wickey is now on. It is to bad that both are not on the roster as size is one of the things this NH team may be lacking. I am glad that John is included as he has really raised his level of play over the last year and will definitely give NH a chance to spread teams out and hopefully bring some teams bigs away from the hoop.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty Posting

Post  basketballtime on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Jeremy that's great that the visitors and traffic is up but for how long is the question? Posts are way down almost to the point of extinction and i don't see that changing. I understand your point and frustration but you have always had the power not to post things you don't like so why change now? I thought the point of it was so that people could write their thoughts down and discuss them with everyone if they passed the Jeremy test? I guess we will have to wait and see what happens, however it looks like were already seeing it.

Chikid, I love that NH picked up Wickey i was suprised not to see him on the list in the first place. Madol is crazy not to play in a game that will have a ton of coaches watching? I know there will be a lot of d3 and d2 coaches there but i wouldn't be suprised to see a few d1 guys there too.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:24 pm

Pass the Jeremy test? I'm taking a refereeing rules test and now I have to worry about the Jeremy test? I thought as you get older there are less tests.

Mom never told me about this.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty I personally am glad and sad

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:19 pm

I am glad that you now have to stand up for what you say on the blog. While I think Jeremy really tried to keep the negative post from hitting, the best way to make everyone responsible for their own actions is by signing your name. It is very easy to post things in a positive light without making others look bad. I hope that now that names are on post others will find a way to do just that.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty No you don't.

Post  basketballtime on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:41 pm

***Deleted***

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please contact JL directly if you have quesitons or issues with how he manages his site. The NHSF is not a haven for you to do that.)

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Original Rules For Basketball Are For Sale Empty No way to tell.

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:07 am

***Deleted***

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please contact JL directly if you have quesitons or issues with how he manages his site. The NHSF is not a haven for you to do that.)

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:06 am

Jeremy is always a hot topic around here. If you're new to the forum and haven't read his blog, you should, you can find it HERE. He is one of the best at getting around the state to blog about games and the such.

To defend JL a bit here....you guys DO know its football season right? The final weekend of the regular season...playoff matchups being decided...etc. I'm not sure what you're expecting out of JL when it comes to basketball. He's made the decision to not blog about the Fall League (please, for the love of god drop the conversation about whether he should or shouldn't) so there's not much else going on in the basketball world that I know of.

On the comments issue - the blog is 100% more professional looking. The mindless banter will cease...there will be less comments, but BETTER comments. Compare this forum to the VoyForums from a few years back and you'll see the kind of improvements the Notebook can expect to enjoy.

Now, on to the important topic. Please keep your opinions of JL and other media outlets professional and courteous. Any questions or concerns on how the NHNotebook, NHFootballReoprt, NHSportsPage, Union Leader, etc. are written, maintained, adminstered, edited, etc. should be made directly to the source. The NHSportsForum will not, and never will be a place for people to voice their displeasures on how a website or media entity is managed.

Just like any of those websites above, the same applies here, if you're going to post a message it DOES have to meet the basic requirements of decency you all have read and understand. If you do not like these parameters, you're free to start your own forum, or not post at all, it really does not bother me since I don't get paid, and this Forum is free to operate. I let messages get posted immediately trusting our users have the common decency to extend a certain courtesy you would expect in return.

A good rule of thumb is, if it's going to piss off, annoy or preturb somebody (ie ANYbody) personally, it's probably not a good idea to post your message. It's pretty simple.

Remember, we're all here for the same reasons, to enjoy the sports and to observer young men and women prosper at them. Keep that in mind, that is what this forum (and the above websites) are all about.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum