New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Fall League Schedule/Format

+2
chicagokid43
Tuesday and Friday
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty Fall League Schedule/Format

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:23 pm

I know there has been rumblings of "no release of information" with regards to Fall League. In thinking about the situation I think of the sound heard most often when a HS fan enters a gym in NH for a HS basketball game:

The sound of dust falling from the ceiling.

HS basketball has had a significant decrease in promotion and publicity, with the exception of web sites like the Forum and the Notebook. Outside of an occasional big game at BG, Trinity, Milford or Conant, atmospheres at HS gyms on Tuesday and Friday nights can be referred to as a "ghost town", as apathy with student bodies becomes more of the norm these days. Sure, the parents and hoop nuts will always show up, but NH as a whole has been lacking the last few years in promoting and publicizing HS basketball. When the UL has a 1 or maybe 2 paragraph blurb in their Wednesday or Saturday papers on a big game in the Queen City the night before, then it doesn't take a genius to see how HS basketball continues to lose the fan who is on the fence about becoming a bigger fan. Lack of information leads to apathy and a chipping away at the foundation of circle of fans that could become greater, but are stagnated with an increasing lack of publicity.

Conant has been a great story in HS basketball these last few years. They have won the last 5 Class M titles. WGAM and others say try to get out and watch this program because they play an excellent brand of basketball with a good system. Most fans can't get out and watch this team. Conant has joined the Fall League this season and will be playing some interesting D1/Class L opponents. I find this very interesting along with:

- Fall League will be played at Rivier and Memorial High School every Sunday from 7:30 to 11:30 am. There are more teams added to the league this season. Milford and Londonderry are 2 of the significant added schools along with Conant.

- How about these games for tasty matchups: Milford - Dover, BG-Central, Trinity-BG, Milford-Conant, Dover-Conant and Memorial-Central.

I will be the first to admit these games don't mean much in the general scheme of things. Key players do soccer/football and sometimes the lineups for some teams look like a JV squad. It is fun to watch a good game here or there when the lineups are right or the matchup dictates a little more intensity on the court. One only has to look at the championship game participants in all the classes last season and realize some of them, like Milford didn't even do fall league last year or some like Winny weren't that impressive in their fall league participation. I get this aspect and I think the informed basketball fan gets this also. What we all would like to get is the cool genesis of finding out about a solid freshman like Dimitri Floras from last year or given the events of the first few days of school this year, answering the questions of: "Who the heck is going to play, transfer or be on what team this coming season?"

I think here on the NH Sports Forum we pride ourselves on good discussion of HS sports. We stay away from personal attacking and inflammatory postings. We treat leagues, teams, coaches and players with the respect they deserve for their passion and energy they have in entertaining all of us with their basketball skills.

Games start tomorrow at Rivier and Memorial. West plays Trinity at 7:30 am at Memorial. BG plays Bedford at 8:30 am at Memorial along with Milford-Dover at 10:30 am. At Rivier, South plays Merrimack at 7:30 am and Noth-Salem follows at 8:30 am. There are other games tomorrow, but I don't want to make this the official Fall League site. Feel free to send me a PM to find out a scheduled game or set of games. Will I make posts about games? I might depending on how a certain game turns out. I might decide not post anything at all if teams are constantly depleted by soccer/football players not showing up to games. In the end I cherish being given the choice as opposed to not being given a choice.

I wouldn't want the sound of dust falling from HS basketball gyms to become louder and louder.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty Anyone at least got scores of the games?

Post  chicagokid43 Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:25 am

So does anyone have scores for any of the games. I doubt the coach would have an issue with just posting scores. Anyone? Milford beat Dover but I didn't remember the score sorry.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty Re: Fall League Schedule/Format

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:40 pm

I don't have any scores, but I do know David Madol played for Memorial in the 11:30 game against Concord.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty Concord

Post  chicagokid43 Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:00 pm

How did Concord look? They look like they have some size and some athletes. Curious to see how they played against a good class L team in Memorial.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:39 pm

Conant beat Hollis/Brook, Trinity beat West, Merry beat South and Trinity beat West to highlight some of the opening Sunday action.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Trinity beat West twice Laughing just kidding, T&F

Central beat Chelmsford by a lot

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:49 pm

I know Alvine is going to have a hard time finding kids to field a squad for his fall season. I've heard soccer and football coaches are not allowing their players to suit up for the basketball team in the Rivier League. Is his common practice around NH? I would assume so but was curious...

A great opportunity for some of the younger kids, but they'll be going up against much stronger competition if other schools don't have similar rules about in season fall sports players.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Heh Tully, sometimes when you lose a game it feels like you lost 2 games. I hope that didn't happen to West against Trinity.

At Memorial this Sunday at 7:30 am there is the eye-opener special: Memorial vs. Central. I don't think the players will need a visit at Dunkin Donuts to get ready for this ready made expresso matchup, but I sure will.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 pm

Asst, I would say a majority of schools have a policy where football/soccer coaches don't want their players playing in Fall League basketball games. I think it's a good policy. Even a young and healthy teenage body can only take so much physically.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty You would think most schools would have such a policy

Post  NHsportsfan Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 am

You would think most schools would have such a policy. I am all for multi sport athletes but don t think a basketball player (or what ever player) that plays football should play in any fall basketball games what so ever. 6 days a week is a pretty full schedule for the fall.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty Come on guys

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Come on guys these are kids. I cannot even think of a day when I was in high school when I wasn't at a park or at the gym playing something. I mean lets keep these game sin perspective. They are one hour games running time where most of the kids are barely playing half to 2/3s of the game. It is Sunday morning so it is on a day where they would not be doing any high school sports at all.
My son is in a situation where he is playing soccer but he knows he will be playing college basketball not college soccer so this one game on Sunday is a way to try to keep his skills and timing from completely dissolving over the Fall season. Are we really arguing that he should have to choose?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty academics

Post  8992 Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:27 pm

Remember they also have academics to deal with and the body must rest from time to time.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:29 pm

That s a great example, sunday morning would be terrible for a football player after playing both ways on saturday with the soreness at it s peak. Every situation is different but not really fair to the team that is in season especially if it is a key player. Practicing is one thing but playing in a game is another.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty one hour..

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:44 pm

It is one hour...If you do not have an hour to do something on Sunday chances are your academics are not the problem your study habits in general are. As far as being a key player on a team I can respect that if the team is a contender, my sons team is not which is why I may feel differently about it than if the case were reversed and this was Winter season and he was playing basketball and wanting to play indoor soccer. I mean your talking to a dad that would never let his kids ski before the playoffs were over! lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  8992 Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:57 pm

I think it would be more then an hour. Also some these student athletes are taking AP courses that require a lot of time outside the classroom. Some student athletes are looking for a highly selective school to go onto and not to just play a sport.

The body, even at that age, does reguire a recovery time.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty That is what Saturday was for.. rest!

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 pm

That is what Saturday is for. Rest on Saturday and play a laid back easy paced game of hoop for no more than an hour. The games are running time and if you were in the gym on Sunday you noticed the games running early which means less than an hour total time. The one hour is little to do about nothing.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:42 pm

chicagokid43 wrote:Come on guys these are kids. I cannot even think of a day when I was in high school when I wasn't at a park or at the gym playing something. I mean lets keep these game sin perspective. They are one hour games running time where most of the kids are barely playing half to 2/3s of the game. It is Sunday morning so it is on a day where they would not be doing any high school sports at all.
My son is in a situation where he is playing soccer but he knows he will be playing college basketball not college soccer so this one game on Sunday is a way to try to keep his skills and timing from completely dissolving over the Fall season. Are we really arguing that he should have to choose?

I don't think it's an argument...I was just curious if other schools had the same "rules". I think it's 100% up to the kid/parent whether they want to play different sports consecutive days, etc. I don't think there is a right or wrong. Some kids recover in a few hours, others, a few days. Depends on the previous days level of activity. God I wish I could recover like I used to.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty SATURDAY

Post  8992 Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:44 pm

So not one high school in NH playes a soccer/ football/ CC on Saturday anymore? Interesting.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty Soccer is on Friday nights

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Soccer for Milford is on Friday nights and even a few on Thursday. SO I guess I am just looking at my sons schedule. I doubt they are a playoff team so he will have at least two weeks off before hoops season starts so I think even if he gets a little run down he will have a little rehab before the season starts. I will however be watching his academics and making sure there is not a let down.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty participation

Post  8992 Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:50 pm

I believe in most NH high schools it is up to the two coahes and the parents.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Fall League Schedule/Format Empty 8992

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:02 pm

Agreed, I know there are a few that seem to have rules but for the most part the coaches seem to let it slide. Mike did have to get his coach to ok the Sunday basketball. His coach knows that Mike is a basketball player first and I know that had he told Mike no Mike would have just dropped soccer. He knows he is a basketball player first.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Personally, I think it should be a parent & child decision.

Some kid might "be on a football team" but not get much playing time and would be fine participating in a fall hoops program.

Other kids might not.

That being said... sometimes you have to make hard choices in real life... maybe this helps teach them.
Ultimately, I do think it falls under parent purview.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:59 pm

I totally agree with with 8992 and NH Sportsfan. I've never seen more sprained ankles, knee injuries etc. than in the last couple of years in HS basketball. There is a lot to be said for taking some down time as opposed to playing basketball 51 weeks a year. Baseball is different. You could play baseball continually, except for pitching and not suffer physically. Playing basketball continually and while you are doing another sport puts tremendous strain on the ankles, knees etc. It's OK to take some time off from basketball and still perform at a high level when you resume. Just ask Zach Mathieu. He did a nice job of playing basketball just during the basketball season. The down time away from basketball served him nicely, including setting the scoring record for a Class L Championship game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 pm

It's funny b/c I can remember coming home from soccer practice as a teenager and playing pickup hoops with my buddies till the sun went down. My neighbors son is a Freshman WR for the Sanborn Football team and he's outside shootin' hoops with the other guys in the neighborhood almost every night. I dunno if that means he's just really athletic, or they're not runnin' em enough over in Kingston!

I also remember during basketball season as a teenager our coaches forbid us from Skiing or Snowboarding. Tough decision for kids living 20 minutes from the mountain where I grew up. Easy for me being a gym rat and not from a very affluent family. But I understand the coaches giving the kids a choice - hoops or mountain. Both can be very dangerous sports and sacrificing the teams success for one day on the mountain to me wouldn't be worth it.

EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:41 pm

With all due respect Asst, I'm referring to the AAU culture where basketball is played and practiced with a feverish schedule after a regular season and before fall league and other sports start. Look at all the games the JHawks played in a short amount of time in Florida. Even ChiKid admitted they played a whole high school season in just over a week. I know the games have to be played and the players have to practice, but sometimes you have to take a step back and say it is too much sometimes. Even a younger and more dashing Asst would have a tough time with today's AAU schedule in the physicallity department.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next