@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Alosa going for Plymouth State job?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Alosa going for Plymouth State job?

Post  tarrier on Fri May 14, 2010 11:32 pm

I have it from a reliable source that Matt Alosa has interest in the Plymouth State head coaching job left vacant when John Scheinman(hope I spelled that right, coach) stepped down recently. It would certainly be a HUGE loss for Pembroke if their all-time leading scorer left the program that he made famous as a player and revived on the sideline over the past few seasons, but as talented a coach as Alosa is, it's only a matter of time before he moves up to the next level. It would also be a MAJOR gain for an already good Plymouth program to get a coach the caliber of Alosa to take over, not only for the X's and O's, but for the recruiting boost he would no doubt bring both in state and out. Plymouth would be foolish to not make him their target. I also think taking the job at Plymouth would be a nice stepping stone to the head coaching postion at UNH that Alosa publicly admitted he would be interested in if it ever became available. Word has it that former Dartmouth and current Daniel Webster coach Dave Faucher and Rivier's Dave Morrissette are also potential candidates. Morrissette is a PSU grad. Both are obviously qualified, but I still feel Alosa would make the biggest and most immediate impact.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Alosa Plymouth?

Post  basketballtime on Sat May 15, 2010 11:37 am

I'm not sure if he would be better than those two? What other experience does he have coaching at that level? As you know college and high school are a lot different and you have to look at all of them in that light. Have you seen all three of them coach? And what makes one of them better than the other? That's really the only way you can compare.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Re: Alosa going for Plymouth State job?

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat May 15, 2010 11:52 am

This is very interesting. With Alosa's AAU connections the past few years he would be able to recruit some good talent to play at PSU. I agree with Pete on this one. The hiring of Alosa would have a positive, quick and immediate impact on PSU basketball.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty What aau?

Post  basketballtime on Sat May 15, 2010 8:23 pm

What aau connections would that be? And who would he get from aau? I tend to believe that college coaches would have a lot more connections considering they are the one who go out year after year recruiting and looking for up and coming talent across the country for their programs not to mention other college players they might have seen along the way or played for them or tried out for them.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Re: Alosa going for Plymouth State job?

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat May 15, 2010 11:11 pm

You get to know a good amount of talent when coaching AAU. I don't need to explain the number of AAU players that go on to play college ball. There's not enough space or time for that. Another key thing is making connections with players so when a D2 player finds limited time in a program then a D3 coach can get that player when he transfers. Same thing when a D1 player transfers to a D2 program. You can make a lot of connections coaching AAU and people get to know you as a coach from other programs. This only helps in the long run. Matt Alosa is a good coach and would do a fine job at PSU if given the chance. His resume is fine in my book.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Sort of agree

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 on Sun May 16, 2010 1:45 am

I agree with the choice of Alosa as a good one. No doubt he has enough playing experience and the coaching ability to take PSU in the right direction. However I am not in agreement that his AAU experience helping him that much. Sure he has some player contacts coming up through his Frank's program and that would help him with some local talent. As for knowing players outside of his Raider program I am not so sure. His Raider pogram does not travel that often so he would be a little behind the others like Dunham and Hazelton or the other coaches mentioned from the college ranks. I do think his name and his connections with prep schools and other high school coaches would be an asset. I do think he could quickly build the relationships with the local AAU coaches as well as the larger more attached programs like the Rivals,Expressions,BABC and CBC. HE also has the name that would peak players interest also. I do know this, I see as many basketball games as anyone in the state and I seen Matt as more of those games than anyone else. So no doubt he knows the NH talent and would have a great handle on the players in this area that could help that program.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun May 16, 2010 10:38 am

It is true the Raiders' program doesn't travel that far. For coaching at PSU and garnering talent, this wouldn't be an issue. 13 of the 15 players on this year's PSU roster came the immediate area: 9 players from NH, 3 from Mass. and 1 from VT. PSU isn't exactly a "national" school for basketball talent given this roster breakdown on geography. The basketball players at PSU, for the most part, don't travel that far either. Alosa would enhance his contacts outside of his Raiders program. He is a smart guy in the Xs and Os and for collecting basketball talent.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun May 16, 2010 10:42 am

BTW - A call out to Hoosierdaddy33 and ChiKid:

When I blog with you am I dealing with Norman Bates or Mrs. Bates? I just want to know if I'm dealing with your ego or alter ego. This would help me and other Forum-ites in clearing up blogging confusion Smile

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 am

Although I see validity in a lot of what has been said....

I won't be surprised to see the person who gets the job already have coaching experience at the College Level.
So, I'm leaning towards Morrissette at this point... because he's had the Riv experience and you add that PSU alum factor(he, his wife and brother-in-law, played at Plymouth when it was PSC) in there and you have a great press release. Plus, he's a solid guy, solid coach, young and energetic.

(That is not a slight towards any of the candidates... but I can envision the story)

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Only one Daddy

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 on Sun May 16, 2010 1:01 pm

Only one daddy and he is Chikid as well. Figure that out.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Good for PSU

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 on Sun May 16, 2010 1:04 pm

I guess the real question is if it is good for the school and the program to be mostly NH players. Is that the thought process behind the program or do they want someone to come in and reach further for deeper talent?

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty That's my point

Post  basketballtime on Sun May 16, 2010 2:38 pm

I know that i personally would go with the experience and the connections first and that would go to the college coaches first they know a lot more players that they can recruit to and get involved in that program. So to me it's not even a question of who i would choose it would be the one who could get the best possible team together and knows the ropes.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopguy23 on Tue May 18, 2010 10:36 am

Alosa would be a great choice for PSU. He's left his mark on NH high school hoops that alot of kids will want to play for him in college. Plus hes a guy that knows the game. Not too sure about the other candidates but being that he has played the game at a very high level and with his very straightforward personality it will be a great fit.

Hoopguy23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Great fit?

Post  basketballtime on Tue May 18, 2010 12:13 pm

What is a great fit when it comes to college basketball? To me if I'm the Athletic Director of Plymouth it would be someone who can bring the best players and system to my team. With that being said i would lean toward a person that has experience and knowledge at the college level and someone who can bring players from not only NH but outside the area where the level of basketball is higher. Remember the AD is trying to get a winning team not a popularity vote.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopguy23 on Tue May 18, 2010 12:32 pm

ok and do you not think he has experience and knowledge about the college level?? he played it. he went thru the recruiting process and he isnt a bs'er he is the type to tell you how it is. Almost every high level kid in high school knows who is is or has heard of him. Plus the connections he has with say a Hazleton or Dunham since they have either coached or played against or with each other over the years will only help. Bringing in the second tier of kids from the Rivals or Jayhawks is definitely considered getting some talent.

Hoopguy23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty The big picture

Post  basketballtime on Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

All I'm saying is that when you look at the whole picture you would see that if a coach has more experience at the college level and has the ability to draw from a bigger and more talented pool of players than you gotta believe the AD would lean more that way wouldn't you? Don't forget playing college ball and coaching are two different things. And another thing that happens is these college coaches go out constantly to check out the talent pool at aau tourneys does Alosa do that? The college coaches have a much greater head start than Alosa does and that gives them a huge edge.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopguy23 on Tue May 18, 2010 1:33 pm

I agree with what you are saying but if he was given the job he would be out doing the AAU circuit and such but right now besides maybe catching one of his kids playing whats the point. Not sure how his talent pool would be smaller or less talented? He would be recruiting the same kids that these other guys would be. This year yes he is behind but with the connections he does have he would be okay in the long run. and yes your right there is a difference between playing and coaching but thats too my point. Hes been threough the process, guaranteed he will be bringing alot of the things he learned by being recruited and also practice wise with him to wherever he goes. Plus its a bonus to play for a guy that is not only a great coach but also was great player, that is gonna make you better as a player!

Hoopguy23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Competitive Fire cannot be underrated

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 on Tue May 18, 2010 5:42 pm

There are many ways to look at all of this but I would want a guy that has that competitive fire in his stomach and the guy that wants to take the next step as well. Next step being D2,D1 and beyond. I mean it is great that there are coaches that have experience applying for the job but I do feel Matt Alosa would want to come in and take the program to another level so he could then elevate himself down the road to bigger and better opportunities. I do not know much about the other coaches but I do not think that either of them could have any more competitive fire than Matt does for this game. You can see it in him when he coaches and when you talk to him how much passion he has for the game. That would to me give him the edge.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Other head coaches info

Post  basketballtime on Tue May 18, 2010 7:30 pm

Sorry it's so long but here is both coaches information and from what i can tell both have a lot more to their resume than Alosa does and in my opinion would bring a quicker and smoother transformation to the program.

David Faucher begins his second season as head coach of the Eagles men's basketball program. He was named head coach on August 25, 2008.

In his first year behind the bench, Faucher guided the Eagles to their best overall season in history, finishing 18-10 overall. The Eagles also performed the greatest turnaround in program history after Faucher had inherited an Eagles program that posted a 7-19 overall mark the previous season.

Along the way, the Eagles won thier first post-season game in 11 years, advancing to the NECC semifinals. The Eagles went on to earn an invitation to the ECAC Division III New England Championship Tournament - the first ever appearance for the program.

One in the tournament, the sixth-seeded Eagles didn't disappoint, surprising third-seeded Westfield State College to advance in the tournament before bowing out in the semifinals.

Head Coach David Morissette is entering his 12th season as the Raiders Head Coach. He is also the Assistant Director of Athletics . He has a made the playoffs eleven consecutive years winning the GNAC Championship once, making it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007 and finishing as the 2009 ECAC Tournament Runner-Ups. He has also been selected as the New Hampshire Division-3 Coaches Association "Coach of the Year" in 2008 and 2009. He has won over 100 games for Rivier in his career. David attended Plymouth State University (1994) where he graduated with a degree in Physical Education. From Plymouth he went on to the United States Sports Academy and earned his master's degree in Sports Management in 1997.

Prior to Rivier College, Morissette worked at Notre Dame College in Manchester, NH for three years. His duties at Notre Dame were Assistant Athletic Director, Head Men's Basketball and Softball Coach. He was named Director of Athletics briefly before moving on to Rivier College.

After graduating from Plymouth State David was a Graduate Assistant in the Recreation and Intramural Department along with being the Assistant Basketball Coach for two seasons.

David resides in Exeter, NH with his wife Kristen along with his sons Cody (9) and Joshua (6).

Faucher is well known in not only New Hampshire college basketball circles, but throughout the New England region and at the national level. Faucher spent 20 years with the Dartmouth College men's basketball program, serving 13 years as head coach (1991-2004), preceded by seven years as assistant coach.

During his tenure as head coach, the Big Green compiled an overall record of 136-208 including a high-water mark of 18-8 in 1996-97. Dartmouth posted a 74-108 mark in Ivy League play, including a 10-4 record in both the 1996-97 and 1998-99 seasons.

Faucher spent the previous three years at Kimball Union Academy in Meriden, N.H., where he has served as the boys' varsity basketball coach as well as assistant director of development. Under his guidance, the Wildcats posted a three-year record of 42-32 including an 18-8 record in 2006-07, in which the squad qualified for the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) Class B Championship tournament.

A1972 graduate of the University of New Hampshire, Faucher earned a degree in Health Studies/Physical Education. He got his coaching start as an assistant at UNH and later served as head coach for five years at Newmarket (N.H.) High School, four years at Sanborn Regional High School in Kingston, N.H. and one year as assistant coach at Merrimack College.

Faucher also directed the Dave Faucher Basketball Camp based in Hanover, N.H. for 19 years. Faucher is also the author of "Baffled Parents Guide to Coaching Youth Basketball," a perennial best-seller in the youth coaching category.

Head Coach David Morissette is entering his 12th season as the Raiders Head Coach. He is also the Assistant Director of Athletics . He has a made the playoffs eleven consecutive years winning the GNAC Championship once, making it to the NCAA Tournament in 2007 and finishing as the 2009 ECAC Tournament Runner-Ups. He has also been selected as the New Hampshire Division-3 Coaches Association "Coach of the Year" in 2008 and 2009. He has won over 100 games for Rivier in his career. David attended Plymouth State University (1994) where he graduated with a degree in Physical Education. From Plymouth he went on to the United States Sports Academy and earned his master's degree in Sports Management in 1997.

Prior to Rivier College, Morissette worked at Notre Dame College in Manchester, NH for three years. His duties at Notre Dame were Assistant Athletic Director, Head Men's Basketball and Softball Coach. He was named Director of Athletics briefly before moving on to Rivier College.

After graduating from Plymouth State David was a Graduate Assistant in the Recreation and Intramural Department along with being the Assistant Basketball Coach for two seasons.

David resides in Exeter, NH with his wife Kristen along with his sons Cody (9) and Joshua (6).

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Wonder why?

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 on Tue May 18, 2010 8:08 pm

I wonder why both Coach Foucher and Morrissette want to go to PSU? For both it is pretty much a parallel move isn't it? Or would the PSU be considered a move up?

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue May 18, 2010 8:13 pm

I was thinking the same thing Norman Bates/Mrs Bates/ChiKid/Hoosier Daddy.

The only thing that might make PSU go with a Non-Alosa candidate is stability. I would think if Alosa gets the PSU job a lot of hoopsters would figure after 3 to 5 successful seasons then he might move on to D2/D1.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty The history of Alosa

Post  basketballtime on Tue May 18, 2010 9:25 pm

Does the history affect an AD's choice? Lets go back to his college days he started at providence college only to be frustrated not suceed for reasons that are still floating around to this day. And then transfer to UNH to finish his college career after that going overseas's to play semi pro with a few teams and ending up with the thunder loons. what else do we know about him? He went on to coach Pembroke in 2006 and now it seems he want's to leave that program and go try college ball. Is there a trend there about moving on and leaving things when the tough get going? I guess thats some thing only time will tell.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty Opportunity

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 on Tue May 18, 2010 11:29 pm

I guess to me a coach like Matt could come in and at least over the next 3-5 years have a good connection with many of the local NH players which for the most part is what seems to land on that roster in Plymouth. As well as the name and the resume as a player that may convince some players from outside the region that they would learn and progress under his teaching. Most younger guys relate more to a coach who was a successful player and Matt's numbers speak for his experience. I think he could sell PSU to players outside of NH as well as recruit instate better than the others. Just my two cents.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopguy23 on Wed May 19, 2010 8:32 am

"Is there a trend there about moving on and leaving things when the tough get going? I guess thats some thing only time will tell."

The only time he moved on from somewhere is Providence. Seems like you have a grudge?!? Many local kids dream big and then once they are there end up coming back and either changing teams to a lower conference (Hazleton) or dropping a division not gonna list em but SNHU has had quite a few like the kid that played at Purdue. And his overseas resume for one is something that many of these local kids should be interested in especially at the Division 3 level. Your not gonna play in the league from D3 but a great coach that has can really help you to get there. And the fact that Matt has hung them up from playing ball all together from what I hear is only gonna make him more focused and determined to succeed as a coach at any level!

Hoopguy23
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alosa going for Plymouth State job? Empty What grudge?

Post  basketballtime on Wed May 19, 2010 5:19 pm

What grudge would i have against Alosa it's a simple question that any AD would ask themselves if they are thinking about hiring a head coach its called past history. It seems to me your the one with who's a little sensitive on the subject.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum