New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Class I Semi Results

5 posters

Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty Class I Semi Results

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Milford and Pembroke advance.

Milford game was a thriller, one the best I've heard many had ever seen.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty Re: Class I Semi Results

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 am

Milford beats Portsmouth in OT 60 - 56.

Milford had a 3 - 0 lead at the start of the game, but wouldn't have another lead until the last minute or so of regulation. Milford probably had the lead for about 2 to 3 minutes of this 36 minute game. With 10 seconds left in regulation Milford had a 3 point lead and Portsmouth called a TO. Conventional wisdom would say to foul Portsmouth and put them at the line for 2 shots as they were in double bonus. Milford did not and Portsmouth hit a 3 with 6 seconds left in regulation to send the game into OT. This almost was fatal to the Spartans as momentum had clearly swung to the Clippers entering the OT. The odds just favor putting a team at the line and make them hit foul shots and possibly miss the second or make them foul you. The odds are 35 to 45 percent if you let them shoot the 3. The odds would be considerably less if you made them go to the FT line to earn it and do something about getting the extra point or two. Milford survived this in OT and thank God Jamie Holder has long arms.

Let this be said: Jamie Holder made the biggest plays of the Milford season with a couple of key steals. If Milford wins the Class I Championship this Saturday the heroics of Jamie Holder will live in Spartan lore for eternity. The long arms of this junior saved the season for Milford.

This was the best game I've seen all year. It surpassed the the Merrimack at BG regular season game. There were twists and turns galore in this classic semi-final game. With 7:20 left in the 4th period the gym had to be evacuated due to a fire alarm going off. The fans spilled out of the 2 end entrances of the gym. It was surreal as the Milford team was outside waiting by the entrance I was at. Not too many times in a playoff game can you take a break and talk to team members during a playoff game. This was one crazy night. I then had the pleasure of being verbally tag teamed by Jeremy L. and a Seacoast correspondent about my All State, POY and COY picks. Damn the fire alarm. I'm bringing a fire extinguisher to the rest of the games at UNH, not to use on future fires, but to stay away from fiery verbal tag teams.

I'll be prepared for the future Jeremy and Seacoast Man !!

So, now the one we've been waiting for: Pembroke vs. Milford for the Champeeeeeenship. Can we get Michael Buffer to announce at 12:59 on Saturday, "Let's get ready to rumble?"

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:44 am

The contributions of 6'4 junior Dan Desmaris should be noted. He made big contributions tonight for the Spartans. He had a bunch of rebounds, some big FTs and kept the ball alive on the boards. He was a rock in the paint with his body. He's a blue collar guy that gave Milford some much needed toughness in the hellacious world of the Playoff Paint.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty Jamie Holder Jamie Holder Jamie Holder

Post  basketballtime Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:01 am

That was the chant during the game that was going on in the second half he made some of most exciting moves on both sides of the ball in the most critical of times that i have ever seen period. He must of come up with three or four crucial steals and crucial three point shots and layups i've ever seen in a five minute span. It was almost like Jordan showed up and said game on. The place was rocking the whole game and your right there were so many twists and turns i thought to myself this a dream or a movie set where they are shooting another great Hoosier movie. Any way i don't think you get wrench any thing more out of seven bucks then what you saw tonight wooooooooooooooow!!!!

Last edited by basketballtime on Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:10 am

I still can't get over the surreal experience it was to be outside the gym standing toe to toe with the Milford team waiting to be let back in. The anxiety and anticipation-o-meter was off the charts. It was like, "is this really happening" and how is it all going to end. I've never seen anything like it in all the playoff games I've been at UNH.

As far as stoppage in a playoff game goes, the only other event that comes close is a few years ago. A Central cheerleader was on top of a pyrimad and fell hard from the top and injured herself. They had to wait to resume the game until the cheerleader was removed from the court area by emergency workers. Thank God cheerleaders don't do pyramids anymore.

Maybe I'll put Jeremy and Seacoast Man up on top of a pyramid tomorrow night.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:14 am

Oh yeah and rumor has it that Chikid was with the Portsmouth players and Coach Alosa during this impromptu get together outside the Lundholm Gym........Unbelievable !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:24 am

I feel just as strongly Jeremy about giving out awards based on regular season performance. It looks like it will be our basketball abortion issue and we will agree to disagree on this matter.

Seacoast Man leads a simple life, just like his simple views on the game of basketball.

How are you on the top of pyramids, Jeremy?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty There is no doubt it should be settled after the tourney.

Post  basketballtime Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 am

I can see if it's a clear cut case that the POY should be a certain kid that is head and shoulders above everyone else however when you four teams that are left in the tourney with kids on those teams that easily could have been picked POY too why wouldn't you give a few more games that have a much higher level of importance in picking a POY a chance? Not buying it at all. Jeremy has right on. however i do think if Jeremy was to be a part of a pyramid he belongs on the top not the bottom.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:52 am

There was an extremely important part of the first half where Portsmouth was leading Milford 24 to 13 with about 3 to 4 minutes left in the first half. The Clippers had 2 consecutive possessions where, if they scored, they would have doubled up Milford with a 26 to 13 lead. Portsmouth turned the ball over on these 2 possessions. Milford went on a 10 - 1 run to close out the half. If Portsmouth scores on one or both of these possessions then maybe the game would have been a different story. I give Portsmouth credit for playing a great game and giving Milford everything they had. DiCesare had another outstanding game against the Spartans with 24 points. It was a carbon copy performance of the 26 point performance this ubiquitous sophomore had in the regular season win Portsmouth had against Milford. There must have been at least 4 to 5 times that Milford was "officially" in trouble in this game. They showed a special perseverance tonight against a worthy opponent. There was a lot of heartache and ecstasy of emotion that was left on the Lundholm floor tonight.

It was a privilige to be able to experience this 36 minutes of basketball.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:05 am

But, if Jeremy falls off the top of the pyramid, then tomorrow's game would be held up just as long as the Milford - Portsmouth game was tonight..... And we wouldn't be able to read Jeremy's report of the L semi-finals because he would be in a hospital bed recovering from a pyramid concussion.

OKay, so you have Dover, Pinkerton, Winny and BG left in the tournament. By your criteria we only pick from players on these 4 teams for POY. Only Burt, Gould, Mathieu, Proulx, Mcclung, Green and St. Lawrence has a chance to win POY, correct? What if Ryan Dunn scores 35 points tomorrow and Saturday and leads Winny to the state title? Is he now eligible for the POY even though he didn't average over 10 points/game during the regular season? What if Kyle Remillard not only stirs up hornets nests, but scores the winning baskets tomorrow and Saturday to lead BG to the state title? Do we now consider the hornets nest stirrer a candidate for POY? I could go on and on, but I'll just say there's a reason why the POY has and always will be based on the regular season and not the playoffs. They have it right for this award as it is presently constituted.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:27 am

We are still disagreeing on the criteria for POY?

I am agreeing with myself to go to bed very soon. I left a lot of emotion up at Lundholm too.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty How about the Swan Dive

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:39 am

Hey did you guys catch the dive into first base to recover the loose ball that my son had? Was that not a gutsy,I want this more than you do play? Then the threes seem to fall and Jamie went crazy and,fire and fouls,free throws, threes,ot... popcorns burning... I think I am ready for bed. Tonight was just too much.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty Milford Has Perserverance

Post  boxout Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 am

I just don't get it, Milford looks like they are going to get beat in all three of their playoff games at certain times. What do they do they win. Milford struggled all night and then that feisty point guard from Milford who struggled with threes all night hit the two biggest threes of the night. The 2 guard was outstanding and it was great to watch, I have not seen a kid catch fire like that in a long time. Throw in the gutsy and gritty performance of the back up center and things looked great. Chi-kid we argued for a couple days and was it not funny to see the two bigs in the game at the same time. That was the only thing we agreed on.
This game had everything from the beginning of the game when all the fans and players stood for the National Anthem only to find out we wouldn't be having one. The winning team fell behind. Then we had the evacuation with 7:20 left in the game. The energy in that place was amazing. I want to give Portsmouth credit as well, their coached used my philosophy about beating Milford by taking your time taking the ball up court, it didn't work but I have waited all season for a team to use that approach. I also enjoyed watching Portsmouth running pick and rolls, and back door cuts to a T. Milford only had 25 points in the half, I have seen this team get that in a quarter.
Seeing Milford won the game I will not go on about the missed dunk that would have given Milford a late lead in regulation, that could have won the game. I had to laugh to myself when that happened. That could have cost them the game.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty Doesn't go down as a miss

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:21 am

Doesn't go down as a miss, remember he went to the line because he was fouled. I figured you would jump all over that one though. A crazy game and so happy for Dan Desmarais. HE was real big last night and I get the feeling he will be even bigger in the final game. Not sure if that game can ever meet the feverish pitch that happened last night but I cannot wait to get to Saturday.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty You maybe right

Post  boxout Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:11 pm

My memory has forgotten some of that game, but is that what happened? I thought he missed the dunk Milford got the rebound and then he was fouled. I could be wrong, he did go to the line on that possession, I agree. You maybe right that he was fouled on that exact play, however didn't he go to the line and miss both? The other thing you are right if he was fouled on the attempted dunk, the thing on that play is that he was wide open and was fouled from behind, if you are right. So if he went up for the layup he would have had the two points and a free throw shot. It was a different play then Lebanon's player going for a dunk with 3 players draped on him, can we at least agree on that?
I just got off the phone with two people who were also at the game, it was a missed dunk, he was not fouled on the dunk attempt. He was fouled later in the possession. Please lets not re-write history.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:57 pm

I'll have to agree with Chi-kid, Mike did get fouled on the dunk attempt not miss the dunk then get fouled, but he did miss the freethrows (although i don't know if he finishes the layup either.

Back to top Go down

Class I Semi Results Empty I film and watch everything twice.

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:14 am

I do not need to rewrite it I watched it last night and he was fouled and missed the free throws however even if he tried to lay it in he would have been fouled also. It was a pretty good hack across the forearm. So do you remember about 4 years ago when Reggie Miller got a steal in a tie game went in and as he laid it in was blocked from behind? I do, he should have dunked that. If he did his team would have won. See how hindsight is 20/20.

I talked with Matt Alosa tonight for a quick second and he and I agreed that Saturday is going to some fun basketball to watch. If your a fan this is a game that should not be missed.

Then hang aroud and watch Pinkerton and Winnie, what a matchup of styles that will be. Big Zach with his huge frame and post up moves against As that cool drunk guy from the movie Hoosier's would have called them," A bunch of Mites". It will be quite the chess match with Pinkerton pounding it inside and Winnie sprinting it out.
Is it Saturday yet?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum