New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal

5 posters

Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal

Post  chicagokid43 Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Ok guys here is my first attack on the heal system that I think works for the most part. Tomorrow Milford host Lebanon in what will be out seniors last regular season home game. A game where we want to honor our two seniors and allow them minutes as in the playoffs one of them will most likely not play much of any. However looking at the Heal system on NHIAA.org the system has not been recalculated and so far the Heal calculations are only up until game 15. So it is very difficult for us to know if we need this game or if we can truly honor our seniors and get them big minutes. The system seems to really work and forces teams to want to play the better schedules. It also punishes the teams that somehow avoid playing the better teams in the state. I think it will show when the seeding of the playoffs run true and you have less of those big upset games. In other words I do not think a 10 seed will win it all this year. However we have to be able to calculate this stuff and be able to know where we are from game to game. If the NHIAA cannot support the system in a timely manner then we should just go back to how it was.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty Re: Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal

Post  nhbballfan Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 am

Chikid as i've previously posted I am not a fan of the heal system, however i do like the idea behind it. I think teams should be rewarded for stronger schedules but they just missed the boat with this one by allowing out of state games (no where on the NHIAA site does it say how they handle an out of state game in the heal system) .Also it's outrageous that coaches, fans and players have to wait a week if not longer or do the work them self to figure out the current standings this should be done the day after the game. As for the situation in Milford that is a tough predicament for the coaches personally I would start my 2 seniors along side mitchell o'laughlin and nelson, run with that line up for a few minutes and see where it goes. If it keeps you close then ride it out if not pull the plug because you do want to go into the playoffs with momentum.

nhbballfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty I totally agree

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:36 am

I agree totally, The heal could be a good tool with a little fine tuning and a person who updates it within 24 hours especially later in the season. I think teams see now that you must play a solid schedule to get a top 4 seed. Unfortunately this is going to lead coaches into giving direction to the Athletic Directors down the road to play the top teams and avoid the bottom feeders. I also think that the Heal needs to be across the board in the other divisions also. There is no reason right now for a class L team to play a good class I team. They have a balanced schedule and the points are worth less.
I still believe that a southwest division and a North/East Division could work just as well. Get our division to an even number and play in your division against the other 10 and allow 8 out of division games. Seed based on divisional finish and seed across divisional lines.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty Re: Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal

Post  nhbballfan Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:58 am

I've heard rumors of the nhiaa changing to division's next year i'm not sure how they would be grouped but if done right it could lead to some really entertaining basketball. My biggest problem with the current system is the 4 state champions (one from each class) I would rather see a state wide tournament involving the top 4 teams from each class so New Hampshire could have a true state champion. I realize the smaller schools would be at a disadvantage but it would be great to see some of the smaller schools like a campbell battle with the big boys from Merrimack Milford or BG.

nhbballfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty very interesting

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:04 am

Very interesting, I am from Indiana and when I was in school it was an open tourney with everyone in and one champ. Ah for the good ole days. Not sure that I agree that it is best but I would love to see a Sunday matchup of class L champ vs I and M vs S

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't like the idea of a Class I vs Class L winner take all. It is much easier route for the Class I team to make it to the final. Let's say BG wins it in L. They have to go through a much tougher road to get there. Londondery first round Pinkerton second, Trinity third and than a Merrimack or Winnie in final. To have a Class L vs Class I would be the same thing as having the winner of the NIT play the Winner of of the NCAA. Not talent wise this year but just based on the quality of comp to make it to the finals.
A better idea is to take the best 32 teams in the state and have it work down to the final two. You have 8 automatic bids in Class L, 6 in I, 4 in M and 2 in S and have 12 "at large" bids based on a something such as the heal system. Much fairer way to do it...

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:17 pm

I'm not following you NHSportsfan...2 auto bids for Class S? How is that more fair?

To me the way it is now is the fairest. That's why we have classes and divisions to split up the competition as evenly as possible. I don't know that there is a fair way to get an end-all be-all champ...

ChiKid - I think if the Milford boys do their best in the first quarter or half their senior should be able to get plenty of PT regardless of heal standings...etc.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Assistant, I was responding to Chikid saying he wanted to see Class I play Class L for the ultimate state championship. I don't think it would be fair becuae it is a harder road for the Class L team than the class I team. If they want to have one state champ they should have full state tourney. Play a 32 team field with 4 brackets of eight with teams from all divisions mixed and playing each other from the first game not only the last game.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Right, but if you want to really make it fair you would give an equal amount of bids to any class, not just 2 for S as opposed to 8 for L. Each Class would get 8.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:50 pm

You would not get the best 32 teams if you gave 8 teams from each class. That would be like giving the same amount of bids to each conference in the NCAA's. Big East 8, ACC 8 and Mountain West 8? Would not get best teams playing at the end.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Maybe so..but that is technically fair. Every year there are good teams left out of the NCAA and it's unfair.

I honestly don't think there is a real "fair" way of doing it...but I like this discussion...would be interesting to see if we could come up with something.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty Sure there is, open tourney

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:55 pm

Play your way out of your section then region,semi state,then state title. Obviously you would need more games but the cost of a game is not that much if you do it at a host school. You would need better cooperation with the colleges and such but it could be done. If Indiana could do it back in the old days, so can NH now.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:43 pm

Difference is Indiana has many more sections/regions, teams in general etc.

How does the Hoosier state do it today? (I'm sure we've covered this in the past...but refresh me...)
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty Sections,then regionals,then semi state then Finals

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 am

THe format of the tourney is still similar to how it was when they had the open tourney. When I was in school Gary, the city where I was from had a city sectional. Single elimination for the 5 Gary schools, then there were other sectional tourneys all over the state with 5-7 teams playing Friday,Saturday and Sunday to get to a sectional champ. From there the sectional champs moved on to a Regional spot during the week, usually a Tuesday,Wednesday, Thursday stint for a regional winner. Then those 6-7 regional teams would play Saturday and Sunday to decide who would go down state to West Lafayette and play to get to the final four.
You would end up 3 weeks of games with four teams to play in Indianapolis on Friday night and Saturday for Indiana's version of the final four.

Hope that helps

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:56 am

I hate to rain on your dream state tournament brackets for a true state tournament in NH, but...... they there was talk of this in the 1980s and there was talk of this in the 1990s and there was talk of this in the decade of the 2000s and now here we are in 2010 and there is still talk of it which means one thing boys:

It is not going to happen

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Tomorrow's game and why I hate the Heal Empty I dont like an open tourney

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 am

I like the clas tourneys, especially with the alternating days so you can see more games. I do think it would be neat to have the s vs m and L vs I games. That would be cool, a dream but cool none the less.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down