@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Punishment? Fit the crime?

Go down

Punishment? Fit the crime? Empty Punishment? Fit the crime?

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 pm

What should be the punishment for the use of a racial slur during a game? I know this is class l and I am a class I dad no certain reason why I picked the class L forum but what do you guys think? A player not once but twice challenges a player and calls him out of name. Should there be a standard or should this be a team decision. Also what should the referee be responsible for? Maybe Mr T and F can answer this. In a situation where a player pulls out the lowest of words in a game what are the guidelines for the referee or is there any?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Punishment? Fit the crime? Empty Re: Punishment? Fit the crime?

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:10 pm

I doubt there's anything in the IAABO handbook/rulebook on this one.

However I'm sure there is something on improper language, etc. My guess, technical foul assessed, game continues. I'm sure the referee would discuss with the players head coach, and it would be addressed from there privately by the team, school and parents.

Pretty cut n dry in my book...

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Punishment? Fit the crime? Empty Punishment justified?

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:21 pm

I understand that the act itself may not be in the book but does a referee have the right to make it a double technical to eliminate the player to avoid things getting out of hand? I personally would want to make sure that the player did not return but I would find it hard to justify that. Just curious as to what restraints the referees are allowed.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:22 pm

Are you just throwing this out there or did this happen in a game recently?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Punishment? Fit the crime? Empty Real event from JV game against Souhegan

Post  chicagokid43 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 am

It was a real event that happened on Friday.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 am

I think that goes beyond the coach and player with family and also goes to school and district administration because he or she is representing the school... and racial language can lead you towards potential ACLU and even bullying laws.

I know of parents in a district (not Manchester) who did contact outside agencies because they were unhappy with the response they got at the school level

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:20 am

Fair enough...from a referees standpoint I don't think there is much more than a Technical that can be addressed. Maybe a double tech, I would think it's up to the referee's discretion.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Here's my take on this situation. First, you have to realize, not everything said during a contest is heard by the referees. Did the referee hear the slur uttered? If a referee didn't hear it then nothing can be called. Players go up to referees all the time and say, "did you hear what #11 blue said to me." A ref will just look at that player and say I didn't hear anything. A ref can't go by a second hand account. A ref has to go by his/her eyes and ears to make rulings on the court.

If a ref did hear a slur said from player A1 and directed at player B2, then a flagrant foul could be called which would result in immediate expulsion from the game of A1. A double technical for the same incident can't be called. You can't penalize the same act twice. That's what the flagrant foul is there for. A player can be given a flagrant for fighting, an intentional elbow or any other intentional contact which is meant to do harm. A player can also be given a flagrant foul if he/she changes uniforms to circumvent the game. #12 has 3 fouls at halftime and comes out in the 2nd half wearing #13, then a flagrant is called on that player. When a flagrant is assessed to a player that player is removed from that game and must sit out the next game. In my mind hearing a racial slur directed at another player would be grounds for a flagrant to be called. You would have a situation where the player that the slur was said to would become justifiably enraged and might reciprocate verbally or physically if the other player was allowed to stay in the game with just a technical. I'm sure there would be ramifications away from the court with the administration and school board concerning the individual who made the slur.

I must say I've never encountered a situation where I've heard a racial slur on the court. I have heard profane language which received a technical immediately.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:54 pm

Glad we can put this one to bed...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Punishment? Fit the crime? Empty T and F is the man!

Post  chicagokid43 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Nice job T and F that is what I was looking for. I wasn't sure if a double or ejection type foul could be given for one act. The comment was used twice based on fans but the referee only heard it once. I was not there so I am going on here day however the Souhegan coaching staff did permanently suspend the player so I have to believe that they were sure that it was done. I was asked if they could eject the player and I was fairly confident that the referee could eject the player for an act so extreme. However I was unsure if it was with a double T or an intentional act.
That answers that though, thanks T and F

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:40 pm

No problem Chi. Referees do have the authority to eject coaches, players or fans at any time. Referees can make sure that coaches and players leave the court or playing area. Fans that need to be removed must be done so by the game administrator. Even though a ref can point out a fan that's lost control, it's the responsibility of the game administrator, AD, principal etc. to remove the out of control fan.

Here's a good one: If a player is ejected in a high school game he is not to be sent to a locker room by himself. If that ejected player goes to the locker room then there must be adult supervision with that player in the locker room. A player can sit on the bench after being ejected if there is no adult to supervise him/her in the locker room. Strange, but true.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum