@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Referee's put miles on I got proof.

Go down

Referee's put miles on I got proof. Empty Referee's put miles on I got proof.

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:28 am

Last night as you all know I spent my evening jawing at the referee's in Milford for the first half. I was the camera man in the second half which severely limits my ability to work the men in stripes. After a few real bad calls and Milford win I was ready to move on. This afternoon I headed north to New Hampton to watch the consolation and championship games at the New Hampton Tourney. I walk in to a familiar face and ex coaching pal Ely Whitney. Ely was my daughters first AAU coach and travel partner as we took my daughters team all the way to Orlando for nationals in 2002. So while I am conversating about the good ole days with coach Ely a familiar face walks by wearing stripes. You guessed it one of the referee's from Milford last night. I had to speak up and say hey you are a long way from Milford and class I ball here aren't you. He didn't even recognize me. Guess I didn't stand out in the crowd as T and F seems to think I do. We had a nice talk with some nice words about Mitchell Jr and the Milford squad. I told him he did a nice job and good luck on the one coming up.
First game was New Hampton vs Winchendon. Winchendon has a point guard that is on his way to Loyola Marymount in the Fall that is very quick and a great floor general. The roster also includes 5 other division one players so you know your going to see a high level game. New Hampton pulled away in the second half and won by about 14 points. JordanL played the best game I have seen him play this year running the team and setting others up but still took the ball strong if it came back around and finished amongst the trees. Winchendon is a big team with at least 4 guys that are 6'8" or better. Jordan was still able to find daylight and had 4 or 5 highlights. I talked to him quickly after the game to let him know that I thought it was a much better orchestrated game than the 3 or 4 previous games. Evan Smotrycz also played well for New Hampton often bringing one of Winchendon's big men to the perimeter and using a good first step to get by his man as well. Many people talk about the Brewster's and Notre Dame Preps being the power house programs in the area but New Hampton is always competitive and their style of team ball is really fun to watch.
As that game was winding down a new group of men in suits walk in together all with black bags and who do you think is set to call the next game? You guessed it my other Milford vs Bedford official, the one that got caught way out of position on the Milford highlights and caused Mike O two free throws last night. I could not wait to talk to him when the time was right. As the players for the second game warmed up I found my opportunity to step up and say hello. Starting with the line, hey if you cannot keep up in NH class I how are you going to handle this? With a puzzled look he turned and said, let me guess your from Milford? lol I razzed him politely and again had a nice talk about JR and Milford. Again I told him good luck with the next game and let me know if you need any help. Just like last night I said I am here for you if you need me. A laugh and a will do was the response.
While I was up talking to our striped friend a familiar face from the Prep contingent sat behind me next to my daughter. Ex Celtic assistant coach John Carrol who's son plays for Brewster. Not two minutes into the game he was all over my striped buddy from Milford. I could not help but to tell him the story of last nights failure and boy was that a mistake. The rest of the night the badgering from Mr Carrol was this isn't Milford High school these are college rules and college players and this and that. I know the guys in stripes knew it was JOhn Carrol but I am sure with the mention of Milford they knew where the insults were originating from. I will have to explain that one down the road hopefully not at UNH in a few weeks.
Game two was a blowout with Brewster up 20 early in the first half and cruising to a 30+ win. South Kent coach was T'd up in the first half and was so close to being sent packing the rest of the game. His anger pointed mostly at my buddy from Milford. After the game I was walking out of New Hampton and the coach for South Kent was at the door and I congratulated him for not getting the second T and shared my story from the night before. He thanked me for confirming his belief that the guy was bad tonight and thanked me for respecting his ability to stay on the bench through the chaos. Quite a funny exchange with a real good laugh after a rough loss seemed to be just what the coach needed.
Some great hoops and a full circle of new friends in the basketball community of New Hampshire. Once again if you have not seen the PREP level in this state you are missing the boat.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Referee's put miles on I got proof. Empty Re: Referee's put miles on I got proof.

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:24 pm

That is funny, and ironic. Good day of hoops in NHampton, wish I was there. Do those schools offer full scholorships do you know?

I find it amusing and a bit sick that Mr. Carrol (who's son is a very very good shooter and going to Rutgers next year I believe) would berate the officials b/c they did a Class I game the night before and thought his son/team deserved better. One of the things that I hate about private schools is the sense of entitlement that some parents and players think they deserve.

That said, I hope my unborn son gets good grades, becomes an amazing basketball player and is offered a full ride to a big name prep school on his way to a full ride to UNC and on to the Celtics in the NBA someday...oh sorry, I just woke up from my late morning nap and must still be dreaming.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Referee's put miles on I got proof. Empty Scholarships? Well not really I mean sort of..hard to say

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:40 pm

I guess the best way to handle this is the discussion that many players with financial struggles find a way onto these teams. I think most of them are called hardship cases or scholastic scholarships. So to answer your question, sure there are ways to go for free but you have to be a huge asset to a team and have a coach that will do the legwork to get you in. A average NH player is going to pay some money out of pocket.
I have seen Mr Carroll on several occasions and he seems to have a guy on each game that he thinks is not worthy of the black and white. I have seen him coach also and he is constantly talking and inquiring of calls on the sideline. His son is going to Rutgers and the AAU program that his is involved with sends players to D1 schools every year. Definitely a little arrogance in both dad and son, although he is very approachable and talkative amongst other fans and even kids at times. He was discussing the players and college choices with two boys from I believe it was INterlakes that were sitting on the other side of him.
Basketball was and always is very impressive. Not many games at the high school level anywhere in the country where you will see the amount of talent on the floor at the same time.
Good luck with the newborn soon to be Celtic. I have to assume you know it is a boy since you are already looking at NBA roster spots and not WNBA. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Referee's put miles on I got proof. Empty Re: Referee's put miles on I got proof.

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:52 pm

Doesn't every dad to be assume his first is going to be a son?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 pm

What ChiKid should realize as you move along in basketball is:

That building bridges and maintaining them can be more beneficial than burning them. Some day you might have to go over one of those bridges and if you burned it, well, you're plum out of luck, I guess.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Referee's put miles on I got proof. Empty Conform or be honest

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:48 pm

SOMEONE still feels obligated to grade me on anything I say and while I am flattered that a man of his age feels the need to keep my life in line, I have to use my 40 years of life experience to argue what I do know. Men can take criticism and honesty far easier than they can lips to the south end. I never feel as if I have to be dishonest,I never feel I have to hide my feelings. You will not always like what I say but you will always know where I stand. As for burning bridges I believe honest people do not judge a person by one portion of their makeup but by the total quality of their work. I am passionate about the game,firm in my beliefs and confident in my ability to be angry now and be done with it later. I can voice my displeasure and move on. I can dislike what you did and not hold it against you for what you may do. I see moments of a persons life as just that a moment. I then let it go and move on. To me that is what makes a person what they are and what they will be. If a bridge is blocked down the road because of my feelings and voicing them I will live with it.
However keep this in mind. With words in the rule book that say matter of interpretation and the gray areas that are within it opens the world up to speculation and second guessing. At no level of any sport are the referee and officials not second guessed,reviewed and questioned. So why should NH high school basketball any different.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:00 pm

I don't think its wrong to second guess. Everybody second guesses. Nobody is saying they are perfect. But you can't they say HAVE to be perfect, cause that's impossible.

We all know the officials grade each other after the game, but that system is somewhat flawed you can imagine. But it's the best thing they can do. Unless all games are taped, reviewed by some authority, and reprimands and/or suggestions handed down, I'm not sure what you're gonna do about it.

I guess a good question would be, how do they do it in Indiana?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum