Top posting users this month

Feb 5 results...

Go down

Feb 5 results... Empty Feb 5 results...

Post  Tulliver on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Post away

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Feb 5 results... Empty Re: Feb 5 results...

Post  nhhoopguy on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 pm

Winny beats exeter 55-54.
Game was 4- 6 point all game, with winny up by 7 with 4 minutes left.
then exeter went on an 8-0 run.
Exeter was up by 3 with about aminute, winny came back for hoop with about 30 seconds left.
exeter missed free throw, and fouled Munson away from the ball.
Munson made both ends of one and one to put winny up by one.
exeter missed the next time down court and Dunn was fouled.
he missed the free 1/1 and exeter came down, vigers got trapped at the top of key and jump ball went to exeter.
In bounds pass out to Holler for thlong 3 and it comes up short.l
A very exciting game, with both student section/fans packed in tight.

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:09 pm

CHS loses by one to Pinkerton.
Not a pretty game by any means.

Joe Stisser went down and left the game.
He was in obvious pain.... hopefully it will not be significant but cross your fingers.

THS loses to Dover

Memorial over Timberlane

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  bubbles on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:46 pm

THS/DOVER Game was a great game. Burt dribble hand off to
point gaurd who hit a shot with 1.2 seconds left. THS had no
time outs left. GREAT GAME...

bubbles
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:01 am

Merrimack took care of Alvirne after being tied at the half. Great balanced scoring and even though D Floras didn't have a highlight game - his teamates picked up the slack and Tomahawks won going away. Hmm...didn't I mention something to this effect in my Mid Season post??

Nice game by Caleb Donnely for Alvirne who went for 29, including 10/10 from the line...

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopguy on Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:30 am

Again, night after night, anyone in this class canbeat anyone.
it looked liked the seacoast had the two exciting games of the night!

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:17 am

Here ya go guys and gals...

Merrimack 68 Alvirne 57

In many high school basketball games, if you shut down the other teams best player, or best 2 players, you're probably walking out of the gym with a "W" that night. On Friday night in Merrimack, that would not be the case. After an energizing, competitive first half that ended in a 27-27 tie, the Tomahawks ran away with a 68-57 win in the second half on the strength of a balanced offensive attack that included 5 players in double figures.

In a game where freshman phenom Dimetri Floras didn't stand out in the box score, Merrimack got solid performances from just about every role player on their team. Each player seemed to take their turn carrying the load in the absence of a big offensive spurt from the younger Floras.

Matt Hardwick (team high 14 points) would take the reigns early and swish a 3 pointer from the top of the key to tie the game at 9 mid-way through the first. His 5 points in the first quarter would be instrumental in Merrimack breaking the numerous zone looks Alvirne would throw at the Tomahawks.

Using several defensive zone looks including a 2-3, 1-3-1, and 3-2 zone, the Broncos were able to contain both the Floras brothers who went scoreless in the first quarter. Alvirne was able to work a successful high-low look to Center Ryan Sweeney for two of his 6 points, and a Jim Tomaswick layup off a nice feed from point guard Cody Lambert gave the Broncos a 11-9 lead.

Eric Watson would take over where Hardwick left off, collecting a pass at the short corner that led to a baseline drive and finish over Sweeney. His 9 points in the quarter coupled with Hardwick's 5 would be all Merrimack would need to take a 1 point lead at the end of the quarter, 14-13.

The second quarter would open with Alvirne's lane clogger Ryan Sweeney picking up his 3rd personal just a minute in. Both squads would miss easy looks at the rim as the intensity of the game reached a freakish level with both student fan bases standing the entire game. Halfway through the 2nd a double foul was called after a scrum under the hoop between Watson and Avirne's Nick Goldsack that led to each player getting a stern talking to by their respective coaches.

The adversity appeared to energize Alvirnes Caleb Donnelly (game-high 29 points), who went on a personal scoring run of 10 straight points for the Broncos. The problem for Alvirne was not that they couldn't score, but that they couldn't stop Merrimack from matching each of Donnellys step back jumpers, 3 pointers or free throws.

Next up for the Tomahawks was forward Tyler Maser who would dominate around the rim in the absence of Sweeney and Sean Moyen (sitting out the first half - coache's decision), scoring 9 of his 13 points in the quarter.

Alvirne Coach Kevin Bonney had to be thrilled going to the lockerroom tied at 27 in Merrimacks gym, down a starter, and three key role players (3 out for a half for coaches decision, 1 injured). On the flip side, Merrimack Coach Tim Goodrich probably would have liked to see young Dimetri Floras and brother Anthony get a few more touches. While the zones the Bronco's were implementing were giving opportunities to their teammates, the Floras duo to this point had yet to put the ball in the hoop. The 3rd quarter would change all of that.

Out of the gate Alvirne showed a triangle and 2 defense. They might have put one of those 2 on the elder Floras, Anthony, as he quickly nailed a 3 from the left corner, a weak spot in the triangle zone defense that asks a lot from the the players tasked to cover the entire half court. Moyen, who was seeing his first action of the game was like a bottlerocket scoring early at the rim and on a nice roll to the hoop later in the quarter.

Alvirne was able to stick around for the first few minutes keyed by Donnelly hitting a jumper and a layup to keep it close at 35-31. Then A. Floras understood it was his turn to take the keys to the kingdom and make the Broncos pay for leaving him open. Again, the left side of the court was his sweet-spot and he nailed a long 2 point jumper and another 3 as the lead was pushed to 7. Dimetri's first 3 (of 2 he made on the night) put the lead up to 9. Merrimack was hitting their jumpshots now, and after 3 quarters they held a firm grasp on a 46-37 lead.

Merrimack's sweet stroking lefty Tyler Gendron did his part in the 4th quarter, scoring 6 of his 11 points from the perimeter, extending Sweeney out as Alvirne was forced to play a man-to-man. The mismatch of speed, length and quickness over Sweeney's power leaned in the favor of Gendron and Merrimack. They would comfortably close the game out during a lengthy final 4 minutes that included a technical foul for taunting, and upwards of 25 foul shots between the two teams.

Not lost in Alvirneā€™s 11-point defeat was a gutsy performance from Donnelly, who for much of the night was the only offensive source the Broncos could turn to. His 29 points, 3 3-pointers and 10/10 performance from the line ranks right up there as one of the best stat lines in Class L this year. Unfortunately, there just wasn't enough inside presence as the Broncos weren't able to finish on upwards of 10 layups.

Sitting at 5-5 Alvirne has another tough road game meeting up with EJ Perry's Blue Devils on Tuesday. They'll need to fight them off to remain above .500, and it'll take a full team effort to deal with a Salem squad that's beaten both Merrimack and BG this season.

Merrimack proved how tough of an out they will be come March. As an opponent, if you're shutting down the big name guys like the Floras brothers or Eric Watson, they've got plenty of players capable of hitting shots, and stepping up to the challenge of carrying their team. In Class L this season, there's no easy outs, and the more horses you have in your stable to weather runs, streaks and ups and downs of a 24 minute HS hoops game, the better off you'll be. Merrimack should be just fine.

Alvirne PTS FT

Cody Lambert 3 0/1
Caleb Donnelly 29 10/10
Joe O'Hearn 7 4/6
Sean Moyen 6 0/1
Jim Tomaswick 6 0/1
Ryan Sweeney 6 0/0

Merrimack PTS FT

Matt Hardwick 14 3/3
Dimitri Floras 6 0/0
Anthony Floras 12 2/2
Eric Watson 10 4/5
Ryan Brownell 1 1/2
Travis Maser 13 0/2
Tyler Gendron 11 1/4
Tyler Amigo 1 1/4

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:36 am

Ahhh nice catches maybe you should be my editor - Haha. That's what I get for attempting to write coherent sentences and accurate facts at 11pm at night, even my addition is horrible. Thanks...

As far as the quotes go, I do sometimes throw them in there if i stick around to get them, but honestly its a lost cause most the time since the coaches are usually MIA. Writing, reporting on games and such is just a hobby for me, I'm not trying to make a career out of it. I suppose if I were I'd get their take on it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopguy on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:58 am

I watched the exeter/winny game on tv last night and completely missed the key basket in my earlier posts..
With 30 seconds left, winny down by one, harry Knowles inbounded the ball off exeter players back, under exeter basket and came inbounds and layed it in for the winning basket.
Laroche then missed two free throws, as did dunn missing his free throw for winny.
Hollers three point shot was short at the end.

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum