@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials

Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty Well said!

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 am

Well said T and F... I think you and I should offer to ref the games... thoughts?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty Re: Milford/Portsmough Game Officials

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:42 am

Depends on what rules would be used. I don't do one of the best 2 mobile seats in the house using funky rules.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty More calls

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 am

I can guarentee I get more right than the guy in Portsmouth last night. By the way he called three fouls last night and if you watched our video he also called a lane violation on Jamie Holder after Jamie went in second,beat Portsmouth to the ball anyway and knocked the ball out of bounds. The funny part is he calls the violation after the ball is knocked out of bounds. That was a good call for sure.

Can we use FIBA rules?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 am

I wasn't going to say anything about the vocal Milford crowd last night, but since you mentioned it.....It was cool witnessing the dynamic of the Spartan faithful last night in Portsmouth. They certainly wear their basketball hearts on their sleeves.

Since you asked, the refereeing was good last night. Must have been their IABBO training.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty T and F

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:07 pm

You are starting to worry me. You are bordering on being grouped as a sorority boy. Despite what you think their are some bad refs in this state just like in others. Maybe you do not have the advantage I do of watching the games over on tape but when you see a ref make three foul calls in a game where roughly 30 foul calls were made you should not be able to convince your pin striped soul that both of them did the a good job. Referees just like players get better with games and calls under their belt but what seems to be happening in NH is the older referee's want to be less of a part of the game and as you guys say "let the players decide the game". However a foul has to be a foul for 32 minutes and a travel using three steps has to be travel for 32 minutes. During the game on Wednesday we seen a call of travel on Jamie Holder using the move of Kobe Steps, a way of going right then back left on consecutive steps. I asked you your opinion on it and you said travel, I agreed. However on a call at the end of the game where a foul call was obviously missed you weren't able to pick up on the three steps the player took to lay the ball in. Both calls went for Portsmouth and did however make a huge difference in a game. Now while I know you will come back with over the course of the game it balances out I would say this.
Over the course of the game teams have the advantage of time to make up for missed calls by adjusting their tempo and shot selection. If a bad call is made in the final 2 minutes that is a much harder situation to make up. Refs do make bad calls,have bad nights and help decide the outcome. They are all facts that is maybe your sorority would not use words like Perception,discretion, and interpretation as often as you do. My other favorite is "Flow of the game" that is just another way of saying I am hungry and if I keep making calls dinner will get cold.
Good and bad in everything T & F.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:42 pm

Wow, ChiKid I was just doing good natured blogging and it obviously got under your Spartan skin.

You are right that some calls by referees can HELP decide games..... along with missed lay ups that rim out, turnovers that come in abundance due to poor choices and a coaching staff that doesn't know how to attack a zone defense properly. Yes, there are many factors in deciding a basketball game.

BTW - Referees refer to their group as the Brotherhood. There are no sororities for referees, female, male or otherwise.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty Under my skin?

Post  chicagokid43 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Cmon, my attack was in good nature too. Sorry if it seemed angry, after going back and reading it I can see how you may have taken it that way.
The Sorority thing was the funny part, guess I should have added an AOL lol to that line. I was really just calling you the brotherhood captain. I understand that you have to work with the rest of the Frat house so I do not expect you to agree.

However...Stats tell the story

Final stats of the Portsmouth game were crazy.
In the Portsmouth game Wednesday in the first half I had 16 total fouls called. 15 of the 16 were called by the same referee. In the second half I was lazy and just decided to count the calls made by the inactive referee. I know Portsmouth was in the double bonus and Milford in the 1 and 1. So a minimum of 17 calls were made in the second half. 2 of the 17 were called by one referee. So a total of 3 out of 33 fouls were called by one referee.
Add to that three calls were made by top official on calls in the paint,a out of bounds play that was called a lane violation after the ball was hit out on the baseline, and two three second violations from the top side official that was there to work.
So before everyone says I am making excuses about said game trust me that is not what this is about. I didn't analyze who it benefitted and if there were an advantage either way. I just feel if there is that much of an imbalance someone is either missing calls or making them up. There is in no way a chance that the game was called consistently on both sides of the floor. Someone mailed it in and on these blogs we often talk about the player not coming to play,the coach not doing his job and the fans being out of hand. When a referee takes a night off like happened on Wednesday I feel is is just as fair to call them out. Some may not agree but that is how I feel about it.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 pm

Sounds to me like the guy who made 30 calls did a good job picking up his buddy. After all those two are a TEAM out there. Are you suggesting there should have been 60 foul calls? Would have been happy with just a single one?

It's funny that after that game we are focusing on the one thing that more than likely did NOT win or lose that game for the Milford boys. It's my guess (since I wasn't there) that there was about 22 minutes of basketball that led up to the situation where the no-call was made. The equates to roughly 50 or more possessions for both teams where they either executed, or didn't on both ends of the floor.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  celticforlife on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm

To say that ref's don't decide games is so off base. It happens all the time and I have talked directly to refs who flat out say they give their home team calls. Now after looking at the call on the Milford kid at half court on youtube he got hacked across the arms and run into so blatantly that Stevie wonder could have made that call and knowing there was no way to come back from that due to time restraints it sickens me to think these kids put their heart and soul into the game only to be taken away by a ref with an agenda and yes it happens all the time.

celticforlife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty Assistant

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:42 am

We already covered that Milford didn't execute,didn't play well and was outplayed and out coached. I am not saying that lost the game for them, lack of preparation against zone and executing a bad trap giving Portsmouth easy transition buckets was the bigger issue. However that was a huge call in the final two minutes. You cannot argue that if that call was made and Jamie Holder goes to the line that Milford could still be undefeated.
Why is it we we can not discuss a call on here, it is part of the game. It can be a deciding factor. Sportscenter does it, NECN does it.. All part of the game. Not sure why people are so sensitive about grown men being called out when many times we say on here a player didn't perform well. I do not see why it is such an issue that we point out a bad call.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:45 am

Wow, these refs that you say "give their home team calls" can't be NHIAA HS refs, because there's no such thing as "home team" refs in NHIAA games, Celticforlife. Referees are assigned for NHIAA games by an assignor and can come from as far away as 10 to 50 miles to do a game. I don't see any "home refs" in this set up. Maybe in Jr. High or travel games at the 3/4 or 5/6 level you'll have "home refs." We are talking HS basketball on this NH Sports Forum, aren't we? NHIAA refs that would say they give "home teams calls" would stand a serious chance of being sanctioned and possibly removed from their refereeing boards.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty Went to far..

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:53 am

Even I wouldn't go that far, I think there are some that swallow the whistle,get ready to go home early and take possessions off but I do not think it is a hometown ref thing I think it is a ready to go home thing.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:54 am

I'm not saying you can't discuss it....you can discuss till your fingers bleed for all I care. I'm just not going to say 1 play lost a team a game. Any coach will tell you the same thing. There is a reason why Milford was in that situation that late in the game. There's 24 minutes of basketball...1 call does not make the game.

That's just how I feel though - I can respect and understand where you're coming from. In the heat of the moment if felt as if (and apparently still does) that that call lost the game. But when you look at the context of the entire game, there were events, plays, posessions etc that led up to that play even being occurring.

I'm starting to feel like I'm in the twilight zone after that post...yikes.

T&F - to your point....I've heard the term "seacoast refs" thrown around a lot in my coaching days. Its a common (mis)consception that the referees from the seacoast area assigned to games like those "seacoast" teams better than the more inland ones. Not saying its true..I'm just sayin Smile

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:57 am

I'm opening up the chatroom if any of you late-nighters want to discuss in real time...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Milford/Portsmough Game Officials Empty chat room? Where?

Post  chicagokid43 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:59 am

Where how do I get there?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:02 am

should be back on the main page...scroll down. If you don't see it I might have to change a setting.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:14 am

Do I agree that the lane violation was an awful call? Yes, i watched the clip and it wasn't a lane violation and if he was going to call it he should've done it way before he did. Do I also think Jamie Holder got mugged? Yes but with that being said, those two calls do not make the game, yes at the time they were pivotal calls, but their were 24 minutes of basketball where milford could've ran away with it as they have against many other teams, I know I wasn't at the game but you can't tell me the refs were so bad that they prevented Milford from winning 4 quarters of basketball.
With that being said I'll tell you I'm a Milford fan, and once played there and I've been very critcal of officials but as I've started to be around basketball in other ways other than playing I've realized that the refs are doing their job to the best of their ability (most of the time). I would love to see nothing more than at least one State Championship for the spartans, as the oppurtunity doesn't come around to often. This team is far to talented not to win at least one. From what I've heard about this game and what I know of Dan Murray's past coaching decisions his coaching was questionable. The refs will not hold Milford back from winning a ship, nor will the players as I said they are far too talented. But I have always questioned Coach Murray as a coach. (I'm in no way attacking him personally he's a good guy) I know there a lot of ball to be played but I think if anything holds them back from winning a ship it will be coaching, and I'll explain. Coach Murray plays a lot of players, personally I think too many not only this year in years past as well. He tries to be 8-9 deep, when in reality they are about 7 deep. But even if he is going to try and run 8-9 deep, his timing on putting these players in are very questionable and I'll leave it at that if you'd like me to point out specific instances I will but this post could be 30 times longer if i do it right now. I also overheard that in a critical time during the game towards the end he didn't call a timeout to draw up a play to try and get a shot, he just let the players do their thing and try and win the game, why not try and give you team a play to give them the best chance to succeed. Once again hearsay so correct me if I'm wrong chikid milford struggled with Portmouth zone and their was never any adjustment in attacking the zone? I question this as well you have to give your team a chance to succeed if they don't execute well then it's unfortunate and then you say well good job portsmouth you outplayed us tonight, but from what I've heard it seems that Milford was simply out coached in this game and I wouldn't be shocked if it happens again, which is dissapointing. I feel that Milford is more talented that Portsmouth and should've won that game by 10, but without guidance by the coach, when the team is faced with adverstiy they will continue to struggle.

With all that I just wanted to say I'm a Milford fan and I'm trying to be unbiased (as many think we arent), the officials aren't out to get you they didn't lose that game there was 24 minutes to be played and COACHED and my hat goes off to Portsmouth and Coach Mulvey as I really didn't think they had much of a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:30 am

I was reading this article on YahooSports about last nights NFL Football game and saw some similarities to our little discussion regarding officials, outcomes of games, etc. While yes this is a different sport - the piece articulates how there were a number of things that led to the Vikings demise in this game, lastly but surely not the sole reason was the questionable spot of the ball on the 3rd down carry by Pierre Thomas that gave the Saints a first down and ultimately would lead to them winning the game.

YahooSports Vikings/Saints Breakdown

"The officials didn't lose the game for Minnesota, but it's fun to blame them and I'm sure plenty of Vikes fans will, particularly with three calls in overtime."

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  8992 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:15 pm

Lets leave the NFL and get back to high basketball.

A "home ref" is a ref that always gives the home team the benefit of the calls. Not necessarily a ref from that area. I know certain refs that if you get them then the home team is in luck and it doesn't matter where the game is being played.

The most frustrating thing about the NHIAA refs is the inconsistancy of the calls. Went to recent game where they let a lot of calls go the first half and then the second half everything was called. It ruined the game and the kids had know idea what the could do and not do. You could see the frustration in the players on both sides. Luckly there wasn't a fight.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 pm

I was just using the NFL reference as an analogy - not suggesting we discuss it specifically.

I think you'll find inconsistency of referees at every level. You'll have good ones, and bad ones....regardless, players decide games in my humble opinion.

1 Players
2 Coaches
3 Environment
4 Referees

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  8992 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:14 pm

"think you'll find inconsistency of referees at every level. You'll have good ones, and bad ones....regardless, players decide games in my humble opinion.

1 Players
2 Coaches
3 Environment
4 Referees"

But per your above sequence you you do admit that they can have a affect on the outcome of the game? Or is your listing for another reason?

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Yea, there's potential. I never said they didn't affect the game at ALL. Just don't think they are the overlying reason a team wins/loses.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:16 pm

This should be fun to watch "officiating updates" from Milford fans for the rest of the season.

Talk about a system of checks and balances..... for referees...... for just Milford games !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum