New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Migs Is Done At BG

3 posters

Go down

Migs Is Done At BG Empty Migs Is Done At BG

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Sad time for NH high school basketball.

Jim Migneault is done coaching the boy's basketball team at BG. Coming on the heels of the Goffstown girl's coaching situation, the losing battle of coaches vs administration gets another Big Loss.

Here is the article from the Telegraph:

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sports/localsports/1082664-457/migneault-resigns-bg-hoop-post.html

I'll have some personal insight to Coach Migs at a later time. Right now the D1 landscape of coaches is a little more barren right now. You had Fitzy and Keefe leaving a couple of years ago. In case you didn't know, Rompsy has resigned at Dover to pursue more family time and a side business venture.

Wow, no Fitzy, Keefa, Rompsy or Migs. The color in D1 coaching ranks is going back to turn dial black and white Zenith TVs.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Migs Is Done At BG Empty Re: Migs Is Done At BG

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Oh and don't be surprised if another 1 or 2 D1 boy's coaches call it a day in the near future. Things like this have a way of snow balling for coaches who have been doing it a while. To see the Migs, Goffstown, etc. situation might make a decision easier for a coach who's been doing it for 15, 20 or 25 years.

Administration, parents, entitled 21st century kids with small work ethic and thin skin from meddling parents have a way of wearing on a coach.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:03 am

Forget the old saying "this isn't your father's" division 1 basketball...this isn't even your older brothers any more....crazy what is going on...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:42 pm

Here's an interesting article about the possible extinction of good coaches in the near future. Very relevant given what's been happening to good coaches in NH high school basketball lately.

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/opinion/columns/courrier-good-coaches-might-become-extinct/article_decfdb18-0dbd-11e6-bb07-675b783357e5.html

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:43 am

Interesting article - thanks for the pointer T&F! One has to wonder how this kind of coaching churn affects collegiate sports in 10-20 years.

At the rate things are going, I guess all those parents that complain won't have to worry about college scholly's because there'll be no coaches for those HS teams ;-)... Of course they'll start "paying" those AAU programs and perhaps in the end pay as much between the team and travel expenses as it may cost to send their child to college for 4 years! The tough part of all of this is it's not all parents, it's a few irrational ones that ruin things. Maybe it's time coaches started weeding them out even if their child is a quality player. It's like picking in Little League all over again - sometimes you pick the best parents (or the GLM's).

One thing the above article touches on is 'practice habits'. That's where the most time is spent. It's 2 90 minute games per week vs 4 other days of 90-120 minute practices. Not many parents "take" or "have" the time (or stomach) to sit in on practice(s). As a player, if you cannot figure it out in practice and make the effort, then why should you just be given valuable game time? It's certainly very frustrating to spend countless hours of practice running a play only to see a half-a$$ed effort in a game or even worse a player that totally ignores the coach and does his/her own thing. All the while the coach is looking at the next progression in the play and seeing that it could be successful. Sometimes it's even obvious that the unwillingness to run the play comes from some parent in the front row...

As for Migs in particular - surprised it took so long. His style is different than the AD's. Well Jimmy - more family time now - get to watch your daughter ! All the best - not sure if he still follows in here, but I know he did...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:52 am

Actually, there was quite a chasm in style between the BG principal and Jim. Maybe, this was true with the AD also, but I get the sense the relationship between Migs and the principal set the path for "irreconcilable differences" in the Bg basketball program.

I wish I could find the link for another interesting article. This one concerns how college coaches are choosing student-athletes based on their parents. If a college coach gets the sense parents are meddlers or doters, then college coaches drop that player like a hot tater tot. Let's face it, college coaches don't have to deal with parents as much as high school coaches and it seems they want less and less to do with parents.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:41 pm

You do realize the AD and Principal are married, right?

As for college coach selection process, that doesn't surprise me in the least.... Lest anyone think they can fool the coach - your true colors always come out and it won't take long for your child to not be happy...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:48 pm

Well, the present principal wasn't there at the start of Migs' BG coaching gig. Marriage or no marriage, Migs was doing fine when he was winning 12 to 15 games/year with a state title and Final four appearances. Funny how his coaching style became a problem with a couple of losing seasons and no Final four appearances.

Oh BTW, BG defeated Central and Mack during the regular season last season. They were the 2 teams that played for the most recent Ship. Me thinks Migs can still handle himself in the coaches box and around a clipboard.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:50 am

Oh right, sorry, brain fart... I'm thinking of the President. Don't know the new Principal. I forgot about that change that happened after our last left.

Still I agree with your points... The court side in game coaching style certainly can rub many the wrong way - home and away. Generally speaking if you're winning, you can get away with a lot, but when you lose it's got to be your style. That's even true of the quiet coach on the sideline which gets the "you should be more like him, but well not exactly, still show some more passion and desire". It's a hard gig. You are the slave to many masters. One thing about Jimmy that I really admired was his dedication to his players and other sports teams at BG. I'd always see him at Football and Baseball games. Not sure what other sports he went to, but he was involved and was a supporter. One example of the quieter style is the football coach after Tojo. He took over a very successful program, had a very different style, and as the teams didn't fare as well over the subsequent years - he ends up being let go. And while losing is the outward reason - the behind the scenes stuff was much more interesting.

Single game wins while important don't define your season or (cap)ability to be the coach. Some schools point to rivalry games as the most important one to win. At BG, every other team "hates" you, so every game/win is important Rolling Eyes. In the long run for a coach at BG when things go south, the values and charism arguments pop up. While a winning season and/or final four appearances could be factor, I would think presentation and/or "outward view" played a large role. For a school that relies on people paying to go there, there's a lot of attention paid to not making/exhibiting a negative impression. That's true for staff and students.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:02 am

"One thing about Jimmy that I really admired was his dedication to his players and other sports teams at BG. I'd always see him at Football and Baseball games. Not sure what other sports he went to, but he was involved and was a supporter."

Jimmy had green and gold blood flowing through him. He did support the other athletic teams at BG. He did the chains for the football team and was always talking passionately about the BG football teams and players whether they were also basketball players or not. He was always a presence wearing his BG colors. I honestly NEVER saw Migs wear anything but BG shirts, jackets sweatshirts etc etc in season or OFF season. There's a lot to be said for that when a coach supports the school he coaches at 365 days/year.

On another note, I heard Goffstown has found their new girl's basketball coach. It's Ian Horseman. He was the JV coach at Londonderry girl's for the last couple of years. He's a nice guy and a good coach. It'll be interesting to see how deep the puppet strings go into his back and arms during the basketball season, as there is still the administration/family dynamic still in place for that team, for the upcoming season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:30 am

The casualties of the entitled and politically correct generation run far and wide. When it comes to high school sports, school administrators simply have no backbone anymore when dealing with parental issues - regardless of their merits. Trying to appease in an effort to make something go away only makes it worse the next time...and the next time....and the next time....Unfortunately the good coaches realize it's a no win situation and will simply walk away...goes in the life is too short bucket. Can't blame them at all.  Unfortunately, and as usual, it's the kids that ultimately pay the price.  Not only are they being shown that rather than try and fight through difficult situations to earn something they should instead complain until they get their way, they are losing out on the skills and broader life lessons these coaches could have provided. Hard to believe so many parents can't see the impact of what they are showing their kids...the Goffstown situation in particular is a mind-blower and couldn't be a clearer example of the issues so many coaches have to deal with now...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down