New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Feb. 1st Game

5 posters

Go down

Feb. 1st Game Empty Feb. 1st Game

Post  OntheBlock Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Couple of games on the docket.

Rivalry Week begins with the rematch of last years Championship game. Londonderry @ Pinkerton. The five Pinkerton starters were all on the floor last year as they lost by an inch. Pinkerton has been waiting for this re-match. Just heard that the Astros will be without leading scorer Morris tonight. No worries...Rizzo, Romick and Olson step up and Astros win a game with meaning!

South v Salem - South continues to wear their contender badge well, and takes care of business. South.

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Feb. 1st Game Empty Re: Feb. 1st Game

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 am

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160201/SPORTS21/160209858

NHIAA Roundup: Salem boys tip Nashua South in overtime

Junior swingman Griffin Curtis scored 22 points and Jake Bosworth canned clutch free throws in overtime, lifting Salem High to a 59-55 victory over visiting Nashua South on Monday night in a Division I basketball game.

Curtis had 16 of his points in the second half and overtime. Matt Vartanian added 13 points and 16 rebounds and D.J. Colletti scored 13 for the Blue Devils, who improved to 4-7.

Bosworth nailed 5-of-7 free throws in overtime and finished with seven points for the game.

South’s D.J. Frechette led all scorers with 25 points. Kevin Genao added 10 for the Panthers (6-4).
- See more at: http://www.unionleader.com/article/20160201/SPORTS21/160209857#sthash.xIW0t0U3.dpuf

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:24 am

Like I said in my Mid-Season thoughts article, Salem is a team you don't want to play, especially in the 2nd half of the season. Throw out their record mentally when you play them.

In Coach Rob Mac I trust Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  ChathamScott Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:07 pm

Keene and Trinity should be interesting. This is a game which can shuffle Trinity to the stronger teams or allow Keene to pull out of their nose dive. Trinity has been solid lately and should be an overmatch for Keene. However, you have to hand it to Keene for being as competitive as they have while missing not one but two senior starters for the last three weeks. The guard trio of Feng, Galanas and Blaidell have not lived up to expectations in an offense that looks well suited to their strengths. I have seen them 6 times this year and feel if they can get their starters back before it's too late, and their guards stop fighting Coach Sontag's system, Keene could still do damage in the playoffs. That said...Trinity prevails tonight.

ChathamScott
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Bert54the1 Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:39 pm

The thing with Salem is that they are much better and tougher at home, this year is no exception..

Home, 4-2 Averaging 62 points per game on the offensive end and 55 on the defensive end with victories over Londonderry, BG, and South.

Away 0-5 averaging about 53 while giving-up approximately 70.

I see them as an 8-10 team which may not be enough to get them a 1st round game.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  OntheBlock Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:37 pm

Salem doesn't play again until Feb. 12th. They have an 11 day mini-vacation in the middle of the season. Will that get the ready for the home stretch, or kill the momentum that they had started. We'll have to wait until Winnacunnet on the 12th to find out. Either way, at best they are a 9-9 team. But have just enough to scare someone in the first round on the road.

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsports6 Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Chathamscott, wondering how close you actually are to Keene? Galanes played an overall great game against trinity and the other two played just as well leading to a good team victory without starting center Brad Blake. Galanes poured in 25 points and played good defense all night. Wondering where you got your information about them fighting the coach? Bias?

nhsports6
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  ChathamScott Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:03 pm

nhsports6 wrote:Chathamscott, wondering how close you actually are to Keene? Galanes played an overall great game against trinity and the other two played just as well leading to a good team victory without starting center Brad Blake. Galanes poured in 25 points and played good defense all night. Wondering where you got your information about them fighting the coach? Bias?

As I said, I have seen them 6 times this season and now make that 7 as I saw them last night at Trinity. Am I biased? I do not live in Keene, I don't know any of the coaches and I do not have a kid on the team, but I suppose we all find our bias where we can...My connection is on the JV/Freshman team. Again, I don't get to all of the games, but I have seen a good sample and that is what I see.

No question that Feng, Galanes and Blasidell all played extremely well last night. No argument from me. The point of my post is that I have seen them and I feel they are capable of playing well. If you would like to compare that game to any number of previous games, you are free to do so, but I don't see last night as anything close to the norm for them. I would also say that I saw only a handful of questionable shots from any of them last night, so I think much of last night's success had to do with them all playing within the offense. I don't have access to statistics but they all shot the lights out of the gym and had very few turnovers. Defensively, Galanes has always worked hard and been an effective defender. Blaisdell is just a sophomore and plays defense like one. Nice player for a sophomore, my point on him is that before the season I heard he was highly touted as an exceptional sophomore. I think he is a nice player for a sophomore, but needs to play more like he did last night (with better D) to be considered exceptional. Perhaps I judge too harshly, but that is the kind of garbage you can read in a public forum sometimes. I think Feng is doing OK and is getting better, but again I am assuming you want more than OK from your starting senior point guard. Unfortunately for Keene that's going to have to do. I coached high school and college basketball for 20 years, so I am not a casual observer of these games. I acknowledge that doesn't mean I can't be mistaken. I felt obligated to contribute here because I have heard some disparaging things about the coaching staff and the strategy employed. In my "biased" analysis I think they have the right scheme for the players they put on the floor. They just need to execute, make shots, and continue to improve their individual defense like they did last night and they will be fine. Getting Blake back would be extremely helpful also.

ChathamScott
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Wow, this is the most discussion on Keene HS basketball, on the Forum, since their coaching situation went national a few years ago cheers

http://www.nhsportsforum.com/t973-keene-hs-coaching-carousel

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/02/high-school-fired-for-using-expletive-against-his-player/1#.VrJwkLIrKM8

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum