New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY

+12
jumpshot
tom2
littlegreen
basketballdad
NH12345
The Edge
Hooper
nhbballfan24
insidescoop1
baller1
GNG
tjd68
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY Empty D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:04 pm

A disclaimer…… I do not have an official vote. This is just my humble opinion after taking in a very good amount of games and talking to a very good amount of hoop fans. I filled out my un-official ballot the way any D1 coach would fill it out. There are 6 players on both the 1st and 2nd teams. The order I have the players is the order an official ballot would be filled out with, for example, more points given to a player who is at the top of a first or 2nd team than a player who is in the middle or at the end of first or 2nd team. This is how the POY is determined.

1st Team All State:

Cody Ball
Darian Berry
Joey Martin
Geo Baker
Kabongo
Max Curran

2nd Team All State

DJ Frechette
Austin Franzen
Bryant Holmes
Jake Coleman
Jalen Leroy
Connor Walsh

Honorable Mention:

Nathan Hale, Matt Giroux, Jack Zimmerman, Matt Vartanian, Kyle Gavin, Dom Timbas, Ryan Hughes, Craig Preston, Anthony Cicotelli, Mason Blanchard and Sam Bonney-Liles.

Player of the Year: Cody Ball

He is the best player on the best team in D1. He has been consistent all year in helping the Lancers to their undefeated regular season. When he gets on a roll there is no player in D1 who gives more momentum to his team’s fortunes in a game. His offense is only part of his game. He is an excellent ball handler, passer and good defender.

Coach of the Year: Tim Cronin of Spaulding

He once again has the Red Raiders near the top of the standings. Just a solid fundamentally sound team once again emanating from Rochester. He has never gotten this award before. I know Spaulding lost to Central and Londonderry, who have coaches who could garner support for COY, but you know what: The time has come to recognize what Tim Cronin is all about as a high school coach who does all the right things. It’s time to give him a COY award. He richly deserves it.

I have to admit there are a few worthy candidates for COY. Could Stanton win it 2 years in a row with his undefeated team? Yes. Doc has done a great job with Central. Fitzy has done a great job getting Bedford into the #5 seed. Mazz has worked some exciting magic with the Panthers. Goody…. What more needs to be said about Goody. The guy embodies what a HS coach is all about working with the hand he is dealt year in and year out with the Merrimack program. He just coaches the hell out of a game, team or season. I have so much respect for the amount of good coaching jobs this season with so many good coaches…………

But…….. It’s time to give Tim Cronin the COY.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY Empty Re: D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY

Post  jumpshot Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:08 pm

Marc Corey from Londonderry should be on at least one of these teams averaging close to 20 a game and has been just as influential to there undefeated season as Cody Ball or Jake Coleman

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY Empty Re: D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY

Post  jumpshot Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Kante from central is another player that in my opinion should be one of these teams

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:39 pm

I chose Coleman over Corey because I like the way he sets up his mates with his crafty passes. He also scores and is a defensive hawk.

You can definitely make a case for Kante, but I took Leroy over Kante because he's been there for Central since the start of the season. Leroy is also one of the only Central Bigs. Most nights he's going under-size in the paint battling opponent Bigs and is very productive with his rebounding and blocks.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Okay I can agree with those arguments I just have a hard time leaving them off since there teams have played so well and if you take Corey off londonderry they most likely would not be undefeated and if you take Kante of central I believe they have more than loss. I think both players also have much better resumes than other members of the second team. In Corey's defense if he was put on any other team in the state he would be there number 1 option and even though he defers to ball he still manages to impact the game in huge ways with his scoring and rebounding for a undersized londonderry team

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:25 pm

A good argument for Corey.

Forum members: Feel free to submit your picks for All State, POY and COY. The more the merrier. I will say this. When the NH Sports Page comes out with their AS teams there will be some eye brows raised. When the OFFICIAL AS teams come out with the coach's votes there will be a lot of eye brows raised. Remember, a lot of coaches who vote sometimes only see a player (s) once.... On the night they coach against them in a game. They are so busy with their teams most coaches don't get out to see some player (s) 2, 3 or 4 times.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:52 pm

Here are my picks

First team
Ball
Kante
Corey
Baker
Berry
Curran

Reasons for ball has been the best player all year for the best team so far. Kante has lead central after losing 4 members of there starting lineup and has been there most consistent player. Corey had been crucial for the lancers and if he was put on any other team his scoring numbers would be up and he would be more in the spotlight. Baker has lead Pinkerton to a very good season and controls there playoff chances. Berry same as baker without him Spaulding would not be a top for team( side not Corey and berry will be playing together next year at saint joes in maine. Curran because he's a huge wing with talent and shooting ability. And he's the main reason for pembroke winning record in my opinion.
Second team
Coleman
Martin
Leroy
Frechette
Kabongo
Osgood
Coleman has been a consistent scoring threat on the best team through the regular season. Martin close to first team talent but in my opinion Kante has had more of impact on there team. Breakout season for Leroy no one expected this season from him very impressed. Frechette pure scorer Souths best player. Kabongo biggest reason for memorials wins, yet not a first team player in my opinion due to unlimited amount of shots and there regular season record. Osgood is the other reason with Frechette south will be competitive in the post season.
Player of year
Cody Ball the best player for the best team

Coach of year
Cronin spauldings impressed this year

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tjd68 Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:57 pm

First Team

Cody Ball
Oumaru Kante
Darian Berry
Marc Corey
Geo Baker
Max Curran

Second Team

Kabongo
Dom Timbas
Joey Martin
Jake Coleman
Jalen Leroy
DJ Frechette

POY Cody Ball
Best Player on best team

COY Nate Stanton
5-13 to undefeated in 2 years

tjd68
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:57 pm

Tim Cronin is an underrated, understated and classy coach.
Well over due

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:09 pm

Obviously, GNG's keyboard was covered with a lot of snow, because we haven't seen hide nor hair of him in a while. silent silent

Perhaps, you can enlighten us with your AS, POY and COY picks, GNG?

T & F

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Nice to have you back GNG. Can you pick your AS team please?)

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:27 pm

First off the kid doesn't decide where he attends school so don't be upset he happens to live in the same town you mAy have lived in or still currently live in secondly obviously it doesn't matter who ur dad is because this is a list of the top players in state and that's based strictly on performance not who their related to

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  baller1 Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:37 pm

I think Joe Kwiatkowski from Londonderry should be considered for second team. He isn't a big scorer but can average 10 pts a game. The defence he plays game in and game out is invaluable to the teams success. Defensive players should be considered as well as players who put up 20 pts a game.

Cody Ball for poy.

baller1
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:41 pm

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 Boys' All State Teams, COY and POY Empty Let's keep this clean

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:12 pm

and focus it on performance and not personality or politics, please....

These threads always get emotional and this one seems to be skirting the lines already.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  insidescoop1 Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:55 pm

POY- Cody Ball
COY-Nate Stanton
1st Team-
Cody Ball
Darian Berry
Marc Corey
Oumuru Kante
Joey Martin
Max Curren

2nd Team-
Jake Coleman
Jalen Leroy
DJ Frechette
Michael Osgood
Geo Baker
Austin Franzen

Honorable Mention-
Holmes, Kwiatkowski, Timbas, Bonny-Liles, Hughes

Also give it up with attacking players for their actions before the season, or who their parents are etc.
Must remember these kids are at the oldest 18 we were once their age lets not pick their lives apart for a stupid mistake they made.

insidescoop1
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  nhbballfan24 Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Involving player of the year- NO DOUBT in my mind that this is Cody Ball. The way he has improved this year and how he consistently finds ways to score and score almost 20 even if he is out of the game due to foul trouble is just unreal. I can see arguments being made with Martin from Central as well. This kid has proven a lot bringing his team close to another undefeated season even if they did lose 4 of their starters from the championship team last season. I still do not think that he is as impressive as Ball has been this season for the Lancers though.

POY- Cody Ball
COY-Stanton or Doc Wheeler

1st Team
Ball
Martin
Berry
Baker
Holmes
Curran

2nd Team
Coleman
Corey
Frechette
Franzen
Leroy
Walsh

Honorable Mention- Vartanian, Gavin, Timbas, Kwiatkowski, Preston, Bonney-Liles

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:07 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Instead of "guessing" why other Forum members made for their picks, just put forth facts. Nice to have a chance to give your selections for AS teams. It's fun isn't it?)

nhbballfan24
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:48 am

Seriously,

Anyone with Kabongo not on first team should never be picking teams at recess.  Or be a GM in the NBA.  I get the wins thing but I would put that blame in other places not him.

1st team
Kabongo
Ball
Curran
Berry
Martin
Corey

2nd Team
Holmes
Timbas
Walsh
Kante
Leroy
Rizzo

Easiest picks are
POY Ball
COY Cronin

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:59 am

Hooper: Good point on Kabongo. I've had a couple of members criticize me for omitting a Londonderry player, even though I put 2 Londonderry players on my all state team picks.

Any list without Kabongo with 15 to 25 all state selections is a real head-scratcher.

scratch scratch scratch

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:42 am

No ones criticized I just couldn't believe I saw some of the names on your list before Corey he has played at a first team level and didn't even make your honorable mention which to me is a real head scratcher

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:43 am

But yes Kabongo needs to be on at least one of these lists he's to talented to be left off

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:47 am

Tough to make out a list, isn't it?

Wait until you see the OFFICIAL one. Some of you will need dandruff shampoo with all the head scratching you'll do Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:50 am

Who actually determines the real one?

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:24 am

The 19 head coaches in D1 Boys.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:12 pm

In my opinion if a student-athlete (notice student is #1) is suspended/deemed ineligible for any part of the season they should be also not be considered for the honor (not privileged) of All-State. Here's my list

1st Team
Ball
Baker
Berry
Martin
Curran
Kante

2nd team
Coleman
Osgood
Freshette
Leroy
Franzen
Holmes

POY -Ball
COY -Cronin (way overdue)

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:39 pm

POY:  Cody Ball. . . man has this kid grown up and turned into something special.  Offensively I don't think there is anyone in the state that compares with him.  Main reason Londonderry is undefeated with their first 1st place finish since 1999 and Kenny Stewart.

COY:   Cronin. . . he does it year in and year out.  Very few of us on this forum would have predicted Spaudling to be a top 4 year in the beginning of the season, but here we are talking about how dangerous Spaulding will be in this tournament. . . especially at UNH.

1st Team:
Ball
Baker
Berry
Martin
Curran
Kanbongo

2nd Team:
Holmes
Coleman
Freshette
Frazen
Zimmerman
Kante

I agree with The Edge as well about players being suspended not being considered.  Let's remember last year the NH High School Basketball Coaches Association stripped a Pembroke player for sending a text.  I think it would be an adverse decision to then give to other student-athletes that had been suspended or deemed ineligible a post season award.  The Association last year took a stand that it is STUDENT-ATHLETE and regardless of the athlete's ability, one mistake (a tweet in the Pembroke case), no matter how sorry or regretful the individual is, he is not considered for post season awards.  

It will be interesting to see if the association takes the same stand this season.  If not, then I think all the Pembroke folks have the right to talk about being targeted.  Shocked

Last edited by NH12345 on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:46 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typing mistake; grammar, losing this hour of sleep is killing me)

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next