New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Dover at BG

3 posters

Go down

Dover at BG Empty Dover at BG

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:41 am

This is like putting all the Christmas decorations away and then discovering an unopened present hidden in the corner. A game on a Thursday night? Matching 2 of the 4 unbeaten teams left in Class L and 2 teams picked by every one to be in the top 4 of Class L from start to finish? Yes, a belated Merry Christmas to HS basketball fans.

In this game you have the best front court in L going against the best back court in L. You have a team that plays 9 to 11 players on most nights going against a team that has a confidence chasm between the first player seat next to the coach and the second seat. Coach Romps was questioned last Saturday on WGAM about playing 6 players and why the 7th or 8th players for Dover don't see too much action. He said the speed of the game was too much for them right now. At 6:30 tonight, that's right the JV is at 5:00 and the Varsity is at 6:30, the speed will be unforgiving for the Green Wave.

A lot has been posted about Dover just being an outside shooting team and you live by the sword..... But one thing that can't be understated is that Dover will be in every game they play. Even against upper teams Dover will be in tight games. In tight games FT shooting is paramount. Dover might be the the best FT shooting team so far in NH. BG plays the full court "32 minutes of Hell", to para phrase the old Arkansas coach Nolan Richardson. This style can lead to the opponents getting into a bonus FT situation. This is very key in tonight's game. Watch the team fouls. If the BG side is more than the Dover side, especially in the 2nd half, Dover will knock down the FTs. BG can't press the Dover shooters when they are taking FTs. BG's steak is their front court to their back court potatoes. Dover's bigs, Faustino, Duffy, dube and Tavares will have a lot of pressure on them all night to contain the big 3 of BG. How the referees let this situation play out is important. If Dover is able to muscle the BG bigs without too many Fox 40s being blown, then this will be a tremendous advantage for Dover. In a tight and even game, usually a player not named Green, McClung, Burt of Al-Darraji makes a big play or scores above his average because he flys under the other team's defensive radar.

1) Look at the team foul situation in 2nd half. More fouls on BG favors Dover in the last 4 minutes.
2) How do the refs let Dover's bigs play the BG bigs. Early foul trouble for Dover's bigs could mean Coach Romps has to look at that 2nd or 3rd player seat next to him.
3) Some player you might not think about makes a big play or scores above their average because the star players get so much of the other team's defensive attention.

My pick is....... No way! I'm just going to enjoy 32 minutes of HS basketball.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Dover at BG Empty Re: Dover at BG

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:16 pm

Excellent analysis...looking forward to your recap of the action tonight/tomorrow!

It is amazing that you were able to write an entire 3 paragraph post without singling out Alex Burt. I suppose I will. He has the ability to carry a team on his back, and he's got the attitude of a winner, and leader. I would put him a bit higher on your list of things to watch, but he's a respectable (4....or maybe it should go without saying (or listing) that Mr. Burt is always somebody who can change a game, and should be watched night in and night out.

I think Dover is the underdog in this game...and I like rooting for an underdog Smile
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:38 pm

There has been so much written about Burt that I figured I would concentrate on some other things that could effect the outcome of this big game. Obviously, Burt will get his points. whether it's 14 to 18 or 20 to 30 depends on the way the game is called and how BG intends to defend him. Dover an underdog? I wouldn't call them that, but because it's on BG's home floor, I'll make BG the favored team. There's also another factor. BG is coming off the emotionally and physically draining 2 point victory over North. Dover seemed to put it on cruise control against Spaulding and played more bench than usual to have fresh legs for the BG full court onslaught. This bears watching tonight: which team can respond to the pace and intensity of the game quicker.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 pm

I somewhat figured that by reading your analysis that Burt was a given. So if BG is favored in your opinion, doesn't that make Dover the underdog? Home court plays a HUGE factor in NH HS bball...I think BG is the better overall team, but like Dover in the upset, does that make sense? bounce
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Technically, yes. In Class L this year not much separates # 5 from # 10 or #7 from #13, so the separation between the top 4 clubs is even smaller. So, technically we'll call Dover the underdog. In 2009/2010 Class L language underdog is not so "under" as in past years.

You make sense with the Dover upset pick. Dover is playing like it's late Feb/early March when we are just in mid-Jan. If you want to gravitate towards the team playing better ball, then you go with Dover. If you think BG can wear down Dover and the smaller front court of Dover will have a tough time with BG's bigger front court, then you go with BG. This is what makes this game interesting.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 am

BG 76 Dover 63

Dover 13 13 ? - 63
BG 17 14 ? - 76

Don't have the 3rd quarter scores for both teams because there were a lot of characters around me who were socializing and threw me off my game details.

Dover - Burt 16, Faustino 16, Al-Darraji 13, Duffy 14 and Dube 4.

BG - Green 17, McClung 14, St. Lawrence 14, Pyzocha 11, Turner-Lavash-Coumas with 4 each and Kelly-Cuipa-Kelly and Fontanella with 2 each.

I'll post thoughts a little later.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:53 am

Dover scored 63 points tonight which is the most points thsy have scored in a regular season game so far this season and they still lost by 13 to BG. The Cardinals were definitely the better team tonight. I do stress the word TEAM. At halftime BG scored 31 points with 10 Cardinal players getting in the scoring column. Even I lost track at who was in and who was out for the Cardinals.

Dover had a hot start as they pushed out to a 9-2 lead mid way through the 1st period. BG seemed too pumped up for the game as they were called for a few charges early. Too many players were trying to do too much for BG. The Cardinals settled down into their half court offense as Green made his presence felt with some strong finishes. Dover was cold in the first period and it continued in the 2nd period. BG had it's biggest lead of the half at 25 - 15 and seemed poised to go on a run as Romps searched for help on his bench. Dover held off the Cardinal storm and got back in the gamewith a Al-Darraji 3 and Faustino doing damage down low. After Dover worked hard to get the deficit back to a manageable spread with about 3 minutes to go in the half and with noticeable tiredness they had a series of curious offensive possessions where they could have gotten to within a couple or even tied with a more deliberate and thoughtful offense. Dover not knowing anything, but full speed ahead, gave BG a 5 point halftime lead.

BG started the 2nd half quickly with a Green 2 and another bucket to get the lead to 9. Dover remained cold and played catch up for the remainder of the game. The big 3 was impressive doing damage down low, keeping the ball alive on the offensive boards and in McClung's case hitting 2 dagger 3's in the 4th when Dover was mounting a comeback. I'm presuming this was Dover's worst shooting night of the year, but yet, they were within striking distance the majority of the 2nd half. Pyzocha had an outstanding game. I said previously some one would step up and score points that you wouldn't think about and Pyzocha is the one. He played a fine overall floor game with some nice assists. Burt had a slew of Cardinals playing tough defense on him. A combination of St. L, McClung, Lavash, Pyzocha and Turner made for a difficult night for Burt. He had 3 points at halftime, all on FTs, but Dover was still only down by 5.

Connor Green was the difference between the 2 teams. He tips the balance. He had some solid slash finish hoops and had some tough luck on others. He mixed in about 3 dunks and a few blocks. His most impressive play was blocking an Al-Darraji 3 point attempt, securing the ball, dribbling full court for a spread leg dunk. He was the best player on the court tonight. Dover can take solace in the fact they had a cold shooting night. I'm sure the "I told you so" Dover critics will come out and say "live by the 3 and die by the 3." This is a fair view point on Dover. Another view point can say this happened at BG. If Dover stays away from the 6th to 8th seed, which is a good possibility, then the next time Dover would see BG would be on the neutral UNH court in the semis or finals.

BG still has some kinks to work out in the back court. Some interesting decisions were made in transition by their point guards. When those interesting decisions were made a very animated Coach Mig wore out the nice varnish on the surface of the Cardinal coaching box. Dover should think about adding some deliberate offense to their arsenal. When you're tired, which they were at certain stages of this game, pushing the ball and jacking the first available 3 then leads to a long rebound and a numbers break for the opposition. When the opposition scores on this numbers break it puts the pressure on you to hit the next 3 and the next one.

BG is the best team in Class L right now. Merrimack, Trinity, Memorial and others will have their 32 minute shot. Good luck to those teams, because BG has a lot going for them right now.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Dover at BG Empty Ok So...

Post  chicagokid43 Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:31 am

OK so Dover doesn't shoot the ball well and loses a fairly competitive game by around 10 points. Shouldn't be a real shock to anyone BG should win this game at home. BG shot well especially in the second half and Dover didn't. Now if you take this same game in UNH in March it could be just the opposite. Dover has been there and could shoot better and BG respond differently and the game be the same score with a different winner. BG looked good but to think this is the way these teams would play in March at Lundholm is premature. I still think both teams have a great shot at being final four teams and this game could play out totally different later in the year.

I did notice that Al Diraji seemed to drive the ball away from the spot up shooters often. While he needed to be aggressive going to the hoop I felt that he could have created more shots for Burt and the other shooters for Dover. He is a very good player with smooth moves to the hoop and a nice tough but it seems he is still learning how to create for his team.

Great game to watch but I have to tell you there was very little support from Dover in the gym with a student section that was almost non existent. Very disappointing but then again I am from Milford by way of Indiana. So large sellout crowds are something I am accustomed to... lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:43 am

There was barely anyone at all at OR/Portsmouth. Didn't see one PHS student...plenty of parents...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:45 am

It was surprising to see a lack of Green Wave student body support tonight Chi-K.

You have to admit there were a lot of characters at the game. I give the Character rating about a 9.5 out of 10. You couldn't turn the corner without bumping into a character. This along with the matchup made the night a very good one at 194 Lund Rd. You could've picked a pretty good All State Team(s) with the players that were there from other teams. Some teams changed their practice schedule around for today so they could attend this game.

BTW - BG shot 10 - 14 from the FT line. Dover shot 20 - 24 from the FT line. Burt was 9 - 9 extending his consecutive FT streak. If Dover had'nt been successful from the line the Wave would've been in trouble a lot earlier in this game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:49 am

Asst. - maybe there were a lot of projects due tomorrow at Dover and Portsmouth High.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Dover at BG Empty Crowded Gym/ Video Editor Application

Post  chicagokid43 Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:08 am

Hey as long as were talking about crowded arenas and packed gyms. Take a look at a little video I put together. This is also the video I will send to apply for the video editor position that is supposedly to be available soon.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:31 am

I edited your post so the vid shows up right in the forum. You should still get all your youtube stats if you're concerned about that from people watching. The NH Sports Forum video editor position is available, however, the pay is horrible, there are no benefits and you're not allowed to use rap songs with swear words Razz

Yea...I can understand the lack of Dover crowd in Nashua on a school night, not sure there was much excuse for the 15 minute ride from Portsmouth though.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:08 pm

One interesting note on the BG gym. The guide wires that ascend from the support pole on each basket are low. There were 2 shots that hit the guide wires last night. One was seen by the trail referee and called, but the other one wasn't. I guess this is one of the quirks of playing in an old gym like BG's. Also, there is what looks like a huge lamp shade/light cover hanging from the gym roof at center court. It looks like a huge replica from the leg lamp shade in the movie A Christmas Story. Sometimes, you can't replace the interesting things you find in the old school gyms.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down