New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

1/12 picks

4 posters

Go down

1/12 picks Empty 1/12 picks

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 am

Well tomorrow in class I you have a matchup of the two last undefeated teams in class I. Regular season of course.

Milford host Souhegan in a rematch of a Holiday game which Milford controlled from beginning to end. However Souhegan was missing a main cog in their lineup with Brendon McKenna away for the Holiday and some injuries that limited the minutes at the guard spot as well. This will be a different game entirely for the missing players being back and the other factor is a smaller court. Souhegan is a big team with enough big guys to control the glass and enough fouls to put Milford on the line and not give up layups. Keene state court played right into Milfords run and gun style and the smaller court should slow the game a little and that bodes well for Souhegan. I see Milford winning this game but if they think beating Pelham is going to help them tonight they are going to lose. Souhegan has as much size and enough talent to play with anyone in this division. Milford better be ready.

Brady and Stark, Stark has some size that can keep Penny from having big numbers so Eric Feehan will need to play well to get a win.
Brady wins a close one.

Oyster River vs Kingswood
Oyster River is starting to find themselves but I think Kingswood wins this game.

Laconia vs Plymouth Plymouth wins an ugly game.

Hollis Brookline vs Conval repeat of the first game, Hollis wins going away.

Portsmouth vs Pembroke After talking with Jim Mulvey over the weekend I sensed he sees his team improving and gaining confidence. I am going to go with Portsmouth in a nail biter.

Pelham vs Campbell This game is very interesting and if my son didnt play I would love to see this one. I was impressed with Campbell but I just cannot bet against Spirou and Lombard. There toughness controls the boards and they get the win.

Monadnock vs Conant Conant by 20+

St Thomas vs Bedford I am thinking that the coach of Bedford will allow his team to attack more and make this a higher scoring game. Bedford wins by 10+

MV beats Kearsarge by 10 also

Bow continues to roll beating Coe Brown easily

Class L..just one..

BG over North easily as BG will wear down the guards for North..

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

1/12 picks Empty Re: 1/12 picks

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:39 pm

Pelham loses at home to Campbell in a very high scoring game 83-75. Looking forward to see if anybody was at this one...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:46 am

I was not at the campbell at pelham game, unfortunately but did attend the Souhegan at Milford game. Milford won 73-56 and other than a few moments in the first quarter it was a 20 point game all night. Very sloppy game the first few minutes, but Milford was really sparked by Mike O'loughlin who finished with 22 or 23 and i'm not positive but i do believe he had 18 of those in the first half (around 15 or so in the 1st quarter) it looked like he was gonna go off for about 40 but suffered from foul trouble and sat most of the 2nd as he picked his third foul up early, and sat a lot of the third as he picked up number 4 real early, majority of the very cheap fouls. Mikey did what he always does and gets that team going, got them out running making some un-real passes as he always does and was never affected by the sabers pressure finished with 12 pts and i'd say 7+ assists. Holder did a little bit of everything hit the boards, got to the hoop at will and hit some jumpers no 1 on the sabers had a chance at staying in front of him. I was really impressed by Kyle Nelson I counted about 9 boards in the first half with about 3 blocks, but he finished with 11 points stop counting the rebounds and about 4 or 5 blocks. One down fall i saw tonight was Milfords Pressure, it was pathetic and not because the kids weren't trying or "executing" it but the design of the press, I don't really know what Coach Murray was trying to do with this, but it was broken everytime with ease by souhegan and led to some easy buckets for the sabers.
(sorry for it being so long but oh well just reporting what i saw)
I hadn't seen souhegan this year but was hearing and reading good things, so I tried to be optimistic but looking at the teams they had played I just felt they wouldn't be able to keep it close with milford. From what I've seen of the sabers last year and tonights game I think Cordts is their best player. He dropped about 12 but I think with out him they lose worse than they did. Wasn't impressed with Gilligan shot was very flat, I'm assuming he was having a bad night but it looked like the crowd/environment got to his head as he picked up many dumb fouls and since i was standing right near souhegans bench, i heard him yell and swear at his coach, and a friend of mine also said he tried to check himself into the game? Didn't see that but i wasn't impressed with the young man's attitude, but he struggled finishing with about 4 points. Mckenna finished with about 10. I'll finish this up don't want to ramble anymore, but the sabers were overwhelmed with the pressure and We're unable to use their size advantage, they also missed many layups nearly 20, whether they were 2nd chance or even uncontested layups, they just couldn't put the ball in the cup.

Back to top Go down

1/12 picks Empty Milford Souhegan

Post  nhbballfan Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:44 pm

I was also in attendance at the milford souhegan game. I was really impressed with Mike O, he did have some dumb fouls but offensively he was able to do what he wanted. Mike M did a great job of setting the tempo for Milford, making some unbelievable passes including a bullet from half court (with his left hand). I was also impressed with Kyle Nelsons ability to rebound and block shots, when i saw him last year he seemed to be soft now he has really developed into a complete player. My only concern with milford is their full court pressure, with the amount of athletism they have they should be able to create turnovers at will and it seemed as if souhegan was able to break there press with out effort at times. As for souhegan i've read a lot about devin gilligan and i was not impressed, i understand he is young but he lacks the complete offensive game to be viewed as an elite player right now, in fact i'm not even certain he is the best player on his own team. Souhegan is a talented team and they seem to be well coach but I'm not sure they are on the level of Milford right now.

nhbballfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

1/12 picks Empty Milford vs Souhegan

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I agree the full court pressure was not good yesterday. I also know they did not commit to trying to turn over Souhegan. When Milford tries to turn you over they bring up Holder and O'Loughlin to trap and Mike on the second tier to jump in passing lanes. That wasn't their true trap. However I think they use it to often myself. Their half court D is much better than it has been in the past and they rebound better as a team with the athletes Holder/O'Loughin and even Mitchell closer to the hoop. So I see what you mean but that really wasn't the real pressure they can put on a team.

As for Gilligan, some skills and size for a sophomore. However he has the maturity of a much younger player. I opened the doors to our "open gym" to him this summer and sen him play at others like BG. He plays his best ball when he isn't pressuring and just playing. I actually have pulled him aside a few times to tell him he is a better player when he doesn't care about the outcome. As for him not being the best player on his team, Cordts is good and Jack Nelson impressed me at times last night. They all can do some things but I still do not see them all on the same page. In a way it is unfair since last night he is being guarded by to of the best defenders in class I in Holder and O'Loughlin. He is good, not as good as often talked about but it is his maturity that he has to develope or all the hours in the gym will go to waste.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:42 am

I agree I wasn't trying to say Gilligan wasn't good or anything along those lines I was just expecting a lot more, but he is still young and was facing Milford who I agree is far better with their half-court d than in past years. I know Milford is able to put better pressure on, and are able to trap but they weren't even trapping. They would allow the ball to be entered and just give ground, never applying some real pressure and allowed souhegan to break it with ease, I just felt they would've been better off going with their half court d or applying some real pressure that they're capable of. One thing I also wanted to touch on and it's bothered me since coach murray has been at Milford is his rotation, I know people were in foul trouble but and the rotation wasn't as bad as I've seen I still question some of his substitutions, but I've still yet to here/see anything about the pelham campbell game other than looking quicklly at a box score, does anyone know what happened their. I saw that Morgan had 28 I was a little shocked when i saw Bobby Frappier had 18 pts 6 boards and 5 assists, kid is very solid on the boards but haven't seen to much offense from him, suprised he got it going vs Pelham assuming Lombard defended him.

Back to top Go down

1/12 picks Empty Cant Help

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 am

Well some of the substitutions are still stumping me as well. I think Jovi could come in and play the two and move Jamie to the three and be a better choice than some of the others. I also think Milford could have trapped harder and did more but I really felt like half court D was the best way to go against Souhegan. I have the tape I will be going back to count rebounds and assist tomorrow and will really pay attention to the full court pressure vs half court D. My guess is Dan Murray is so afraid of teams outrebounding us that he feels like traps and not giving a team a shot is a better idea. I disagree with that thought process. I think our quickness and length at the guard spot is better used pressuring teams in the half court. Good half court D would be the goal. I also think that by pressing we open ourselves up to fouls that could take our weapons off the floor as did happen on Tuesday. That was also a issue with us in Keene.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:45 am

The thing that's interesting about the 2 previous "constructive criticism" posts on Milford's coaching, substituting and which defense to play is that Milford is 5 - 0 with an average winning margin of 22 points/game.

I would have to cover my eyes if I came on the Forum to see the posts if Milford was 4 - 1 or 3 - 2.

If fans in Class I think Milford is a marked team, how about Coach Murray being a monitored coach?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Haha I was thinking to maybe rename the Class I section to "Everything Milford"....appears the topics are endless Smile

They deserve the hype, they're backing it up and playing like a cohesive unit, and aren't they all JUNIORS???

Anyway, who's got the biggest chance to knock these guys off this year? Is it somebody on their schedule, or somebody they don't see and will likely meet in March?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

1/12 picks Empty Teams

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 pm

The teams most likely to beat us during the regular season would be.
Portsmouth,Bedford,MV, Lebanon and Pelham during the regular season.

Teams that make me nervous come playoff time.
Bow, True big man and a team that could outrebound us.
Pelham, Spirou is good enough to get hot and win a game almost on his own.
Portsmouth, they are big and athletic at the guard spot. with a good coach who will have this team very competitive come playoff time.
The game on Tuesday could tell us how this game will go during playoff time. This is at Portsmouth which is really the first time this year MIlford will go into Hostile territory against a good team. Oyster River was a very quiet gym which really surprised me. I doubt Portsmouth will be as quiet.

Tomorrow is Monadnock which looks to be as interesting as seeing the Milford vs Conval games to come...

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 pm

I like your analysis of teams that could beat Milford, Chi-Kid. With all the scrutiny thrust upon the Spartans, I'm surprised that you didn't mention another team that might beat Milford this season:

Themselves

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 pm

Wow...I didn't even think of that...it's not an unnoticed fact that Milford plays a bit like Dover (relying on the outside shot). Differences though include Milford's ability to run and create off the break.

I would be surprised if the Milford boys go undefeated, as good as they are.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nhbballfan Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:07 pm

the boys from milford have a lot of talent especially with the 3 guards, they all have the ability to score in a variety of ways as well as create shots for others. I agree with the previous posts about substitutions and the full court defense being a concern. But ChiKid wouldn't you think in games where rebounding would be critical coach Murray would go with a 2 post player line up of nelson and desmaris? Just a thought but with the way they are both capable of rebounding on such a high level that will certainly help them get their transition game going. As for going undefeated is it a possibility yes absolutely they as much if not more talent than anyone in the state, however there's a lot more than just talent required to have a perfect season you also need a little luck on your side so I'm not in a position 5 games into the season to say they will run the table. What are you're thoughts on this ChiKid?

nhbballfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

1/12 picks Empty Cant go undefeated they already lost.

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:29 pm

My opinion is they already got beat by Lebanon. So undefeated is not a possibility. However if they can get passed Portsmouth Tuesday it is a real possibility. However, Bedford still scares me. They know us very well,have enough solid guard play to control tempo and they rebound the ball well. Souhegan at home will be tough as well. It is also tough to play a real bad team and a real good team on back to back games and be consistent.
Getting two home games is important and then playoffs is about match ups and dealing with Lundholm. Keep in mind no one on Milford has ever made a shot in Lundholm. That is a hurdle that I think could still be an issue come playoff time.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down