New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Summer Basketball

+10
OntheBlock
manchfan
UpperValleyMom
The Edge
BoscoD39
Crossover
tiger46
jumpshot
Mr.Coach
Hooper
14 posters

Go down

Summer Basketball Empty Summer Basketball

Post  Hooper Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Summer basketball doesn't mean much, but it is fun.

Too bad BST went away, it was good for fodder.

Does anyone know how Exeter Team camp went? Most of the best schools were at Exeter this weekend.

Any other team camp news? Dartmouth and UNH are both hosting one

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Summer Basketball Empty Re: Summer Basketball

Post  Mr.Coach Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:26 pm

Exeter over Pelham by 6 or so for #1 seeds.... Pelham had no Brown.... Windham played for #2 seeds championship... ( I can't remember who they played)... no #3 seeds Championship I guess a team had to leave. .. Epping over Dover by 10 in #4 seeds championship like most teams missing key players. ...

I took away from the tournament either the State is down or Epping is pretty good! (It also might be a little of both)They lost to Hollis by 2 missing what seamed like every free throw they took (and it was alot) lost to Windham by 8 and South by 4 coming back from down 17 early in the 1st to go up 9 midway in the second half. What i liked most is Coach Young had his team flying up and down the court and go 10 or 11 deep again this year.

Pelham looked like they can play with anyone in the State. .. Pelham was up double digits on Exeter with NO Brown and ran out of gas after playing the game before beating Londonderry with ease..... In Defense they were missing there All State pg

Exeter... One word.... Holmes!!! Best player in tournament with a close second to Cloutier from Pelham.

Londonderry was long and athletic. ..tremendous man to man in the game I saw...

Portsmouth is young but good! The 9th grader Cody ( I think his name is) is the real deal.... Mulvey has him in a great role coming off the bench... just a scoring machine

Campbell will be OK despite the loss of Bergon that being said Pelham is 15 points better than anyone in Div3.. no disrespect to Conant Berlin or anyone else in D3... Pelham is that good! I counted 8 guys that would start on any other team in D3!!! I believe Pelham could be a final 4 team regardless of division!

Great weekend of NH basketball... UNH has there weekend the 12th and 13th and Epping has there's 25th, 26th and 27th... I heard they have 24 teams from all 4 divisions including Winny, North,Pelham, Sunapee couple of Maine schools.. I even heard Coach Trask is bringing one of the top rated northern schools in Colebrook down!

It will be a great summer for basketball!!

How are the NH schools doing at hoops 4 hope in MA?

Mr.Coach
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:20 pm

For the record londonderry only played with 6 against Pelham, they were half the team that played in the other 3 games

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tiger46 Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:05 am

Did Pelham drop back down to D3? They have been playing in D2 the past few years?

tiger46
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:54 am

tiger46 wrote:Did Pelham drop back down to D3?  They have been playing in D2 the past few years?

Yes....Pelham will play in D3 next season. Not sure why as they were in the D2 Semi-Finals last year and have been a top 8 team in D2 the last 6 years or so.

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Pelham might not have jumped D2 had they known Pembroke was going up to D1, (and Brady was evaporating).

Pelham did not go "down" they have been petitioning up for years. Probably would have a title or two over the last few years had they stayed down.

I know BG went up North to the Dartmouth Team Camp and played some prep schools. I have been told they looked very good (as did Lebanon) BG might be an early favorite next year in D1. BG beat Lower Merion (Kobe High) and went to the wire with Green Farms (NEPSAC)

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:44 am

Epping Team Weekend included Timberlane going 3-0 on Day 1 with dominant wins over ConVal and Oyster River. A 21 point loss to Pelham was closer than the score. Looks like Timberlane could be a sleeper pick to do some good things in D2.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Summer Basketball Empty Nh teams Hoops for Hope at Andover High

Post  The Edge Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 am

Pelham,Salem,Pinkerton, and Londonderry all in action tonight

http://www.hoopsforhope.com/pdf/Schedule-2014.pdf

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tiger46 Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:04 pm

Anyone want to give a summary of the Epping Tournament? Who was there? What teams looked good? ect... Didn't get a chance to make it.

tiger46
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:16 am

Pelham looked really good,

Epping will still be very good, Souhegan and St T. should be much improved.

Look for Kennett to move to a consistent top 8 team in D2, could be top 4.

Hard to tell in all the cross division games. Like North looked really good but they were playing smaller schools

Any Pembroke sightings this summer?

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Summer Basketball Empty Upper Valley Summer League

Post  UpperValleyMom Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:53 am

Championship played at the CCBA in Lebanon.

In the semi's Newport beats MV in a close game. Merrimack Valley looks to be very good next year.

Lebanon blows out Franklin in the other semifinal

Lebanon beats Newport in a great game for the championship.

Some really good games all summer with small schools. Hanover, Fall Mt, Kearsarge, Sunapee, Woodstock, Stevens all played well

UpperValleyMom
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  manchfan Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 pm

Jumpshot,
Sorry for the delayed response, but good to see you are still riding the Londonderry bandwagon. Looks like more of the same. . . you finally got your new coach and you did no better. Yes, a final four finish is a great regular season, but when push came to shove you ended up in the same spot as the previous two coaches a win away from the final four. At what point do you think Londonderry stops blaming the coaches and starts to look at themselves? I will make a "BOLD" prediction. . . Londonderry will finish in the top 5 again and lose before the final four. This prediction has nothing to do with the abilities of Coach Stanton, who I think is a great coach, but more on the kids who rely on mom and dad to fight their battles. Londonderry has extremely talented basketball players and as soon as they can "man" up and play mentally and physically tough they will be a power house come March.

manchfan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:34 am

Londonderry's going to be fine, blaming kids mom's for the teams failures is a little silly.

Every team loses seniors but Londonderry loses Caleb Green which hurts, but to be honest, I have never seen him dominate a game, and they have plenty of shooters. He is a great offensive player but not defensively. Losing Wilson hurts them more than anything else. 6'6 kids who can play are rare.

IF Londonderry doesn't make it probably has more to do with that and the fact that Pembroke BG, Memorial, Central, and Exeter are all better than them.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:51 am

Manch fan londonderry did much better than the last two seasons before which if I remind you were both losing records to go from being 5 and 13 to 14 and 14 within a season sounds like were on the right track to me and just my opinion but I believe londonderry should be even better than last year and is a should be preseason pick for a final four

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  jumpshot Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:52 am

And hooper londonderry lost Wilson last year so they already know how to play without him

jumpshot
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:30 am

Re: Wilson Learning how to play without someone, does not mean that player would not have made them better. He is very good and would have been an excellent addition. Losing Green really matters as you have lost all those seniors and Wilson.

Londonderry will be good, Stanton does an excellent job. Top 4 is unrealistic. We shall see. Truthfully I didn't see them this summer, but if you were missing guys and hung in with Pelham, you have talent.

Let's move beyond the Two year ago rants.

Pembroke was playing AAU all summer, didn't do the high school circuit. Still no word on schedule. My new favorite D2 team is West. They would have been pretty good in D1 this year and with the weakened D2, look out.....

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Summer Basketball Empty Hoops for Hope

Post  OntheBlock Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Slight upset in Hoops for Hope Action last night. A short handed (6 players) Pinkerton Academy team beat Pelham 65-55. Game didn't seem as close as the score indicated.

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHCoach Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 am

Just curious...Since when does a Division I team beating a Division III team become a minor upset.

NHCoach
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  OntheBlock Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:04 pm

I based that comment on what I have read here in this post. Just in this thread.. Pelham" ...can play with anyone in the state.", "...Pelham looked really good.", "but if you were missing guys and hung in with Pelham, you have talent.", "Pelham could be a final 4 team regardless of division!".

If any of those quotes are accurate, and Pinky beat them by 10 with only 6 players, and were missing 2 or 3 probable starters.... I consider it an upset. "minor" because it was a D1 school beating a D3 school.

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHCoach Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:18 pm

Pinkerton is the largest school in NH and second largest in NE. I heard they lost two starters to prep school this year but if they beat a Div 3 team by only 10 and its called an upset then isn't NH basketball out of line?

NHCoach
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:47 pm

NHCoach wrote:Pinkerton is the largest school in NH and second largest in NE. I heard they lost two starters to prep school this year but if they beat a Div 3 team by only 10 and its called an upset then isn't NH basketball out of line?  

Short answer - yes, but only because divisions are based upon school size rather than "perceived relative strength" (true in more than just basketball). As a side note, Pinkerton isn't necessarily a basketball powerhouse... Yes, they have a large pool to choose from, but that doesn't always translate to championships.

Pelham has been D2 the last few years - strong contenders last year if I remember right... Although I know that was a particularly strong group of Seniors, the JV program is fairly strong from what I've seen. Dropping into their natural fit "size wise" in D3 is a bit of a head scratcher and has been discussed in various places already.

My guess/assumption as to the return to d3 has more to do with the desire to have the same schedule as the girls team. Although it's possible to have boys in d2 and girls in d3 - it causes scheduling headaches.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Summer Basketball Empty Wondering...

Post  OntheBlock Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:19 pm

OntheBlock wrote:Slight upset in Hoops for Hope Action last night. A short handed (6 players) Pinkerton Academy team beat Pelham 65-55. Game didn't seem as close as the score indicated.

Summer ball is just Summer Ball...but, have to wonder what people's thoughts are on this now. Considering how much Pelham is being touted as being able to compete with anyone regardless of division, and that they beat Londonderry over the Christmas break.. What does this win say about the Pinky team?

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Twenty two Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:38 pm

And.... Pembroke beat Pelham in their scrimmage 3 weeks ago. So I guess this means it's really all about who plays best on any given night and the simple fact that some teams match up better than others.

Twenty two
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:41 am

Extremely funny to be talking about summer basketball as I look at my thermometer and see the reading of 5 degrees. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down