New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Cant sleep Friday picks!

5 posters

Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Cant sleep Friday picks!

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:16 am

Well since I am still awake,since I cannot sleep I may as well look to Fridays matchups in class I.

Stark/Kearsarge Close game Kearsarge finds a win.
Kennet vs MV MV bounces back
Kingswood vs Portsmouth This game really interest me. Is Kingswood really a top 5 team? This should get us closer to knowing that answer.
Leb vs Pembroke I think Lebanon owns the boards with their big guys and wins going away.
Souhegan vs Monadnock Souhegan in a rout
Bedford vs STA Bedford by 15
Oyster River vs Bow This could be a great game and I see Bow winning this one. Bow is showing they are as good as any of the midlevel teams and could get into the top 5 as the season unwinds.
Bishop Brady vs Coe Brown Bad matchup for Coe Brown. BB wins by 10.
Pelham at Milford Milford should win this it being in MIlford but it will be a barn burner and could be one of the best games of the year. Milford fans are going to be packed into the gym so if Pelham wants to sit for the game better leave right after school. Milford sort of expected a big win tonight and the fans tailgated and were there for the JV game. Band was mad because they were denied a seat and had to stand in the corridor of the visiting locker room to play. We are talking packed gym.

Is it Friday yet?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Re: Cant sleep Friday picks!

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:27 am

The Pelham - Milford matchup makes you wish that Milford had spent the extra $100,000 to $200,000 a few years ago when they built the gym and had stands on the bench side. How are all those Milford video cameras going to fit along with the Pelham and Milford fans? Tailgaiting and denied bands? Wow, things are starting to hop in Class I. That's great that it happened on a Tuesday. It makes you wonder what this Friday will be like?

Probably very crazy between 7:00 and 8:30 in the Milford gym.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Yeah, Milford's gym doesn't hold many people, so packing it isn't very hard. But the gym is so small, with a fairly low ceiling that I'm sure that place will be VERY loud Friday night. That should be a very good basketball game. And I think you're right, Bow vs. Oyster River does sound like a very good game. Both teams have good bigs and good guard play.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Jeremy, How deep did Merrimack and Exeter go on their benches last night?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:39 pm

ChiKid- I think you need to start taking Ambien. My 80 year old Mother-in-law takes it and she says it works great for sleeping through the night.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:01 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:Jeremy, How deep did Merrimack and Exeter go on their benches last night?
Exeter played 12 kids, and that's not including Ben Callahan a forward who usually either starts or gets good minutes off the bench. So clearly Coach Holmes is still trying to figure out a rotation.

Merrimack only played 9 kids, and one of them was only in there for a minute. Coach Goodridge has his rotation down, and everyone on the team knows their role already.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:14 pm

Thanks Jeremy. I figured Merrimack's rotation was a more set one than the Blue Hawks. I know Holmes has a lot of pieces there and with the loss of Thorpe things needed to be sorted out. It'll be interesting to see if Exeter goes 8-9 deep or 10 - 11 in the coming weeks.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Sleep?

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:42 pm

Never been a sleeper, 4 hours a night as a rule. No Ambien for me.. thanks!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Pelham vs Milford

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:40 am

What a game for these two teams. Gym was standing room only. Kids in both corners and along one baseline. Pelham came out and immediately got Steve Spirou the ball and two open looks. Got to like the fact that they have a go to guy and immediately get him a look. Milford coaches could learn from this as they still continue to allow teams to defend Mike O without doing something to get him a good look early. Pelham quickly grabbed a 10 point lead and seemed to be a step quicker than Milford. Also very noticeable was Milford's decision to use Kevin Cyr on Spirou. That surprised me. As the game progressed Milford would use Holder,Nelson and O'Loughlin on Spirou at different times.
Milford continued to scratch and claw and made it a close two point game by halftime.
After that it became a battle with physical play and a battle for every loose ball. Milford rellied on the penetration from both Holder and Mitchell. Holder had a big game with several drives and getting to the foul line. Mitchell seemed to be able to get past Defranzo easily but didnt do a great job of finishing. He did get himself to the line a few times and had a few dump offs for scores. It almost seemed as if Pelham decided to make him score and not send help. Pelham on the other hand wanted to pound the ball into Lombard. He is a beast on the low box however Milford did make the adjustment and ran a second guy to double. It was a good move cause one on one down there he is tough. A late three by McCallum and a few steals and layups gave Milford a 2 point lead with just under a minute to go. Pelham called a time out and ran a play but O'Loughlin got a steal and a pass up the floor for a layup game Milford a 4 point lead. After one last steal Jamie Holder was fouled and went to the line up 4 with 2.1 seconds left. Milford had no one under the boards and Jamie was shooting the 1 and 1. He shot and barely drew iron but Pelham didnt box out and the ball bounced right back to him. He nonchalantly shot it again and made it. Everyone looked confused except for Jamie who said it was 1 and 1... ref's met for a few,counted the basket but the clock never ran. Game should have been over but they decided to give Pelham the ball with the 2.1 left. So Spirou quickly whispers to Mitchell... dude let me shoot it.. Mitchell obliges and heaves the ball three quarter court.... missed it but man was it funny to see two kids who are friends battle for 31.57 to work out a deal to end the game. Milford was a little to excited about the win, fans rushed out... I was not excited about that but I guess it is all about the kids having a good time. However if I know coach Kress at all I would use that celebration as motivation come February 2nd. Great game and even better atmosphere.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:58 am

Wow, sounds like a great night at 100 West St. in Milford, ChiKid.

It looks like confusion in administrating FTs in big HS games was a reoccurring theme tonight.

So, let me get this straight. Holder goes to the FT line for a 1 and 1 with 2.1 secs left. His first shot barely draws iron, goes back to Holder and he puts in the 2 point basket which the refs discuss and then count, correct?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Correct

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:35 am

Well correct sort of but the clock never moved and they gave Holder two points, Mitchell and Spirou then agree to let Steve take a shot from 3/4 court just for fun.. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Pelham vs Milford

Post  celticforlife Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:23 pm

I was at the game tonight and what a game it was. You had a lot of great match ups but i really thought Pelham was going to run away with it after the first few minutes of the game. They came out and got Spirou the ball and and were running a nice offensive set for him to get open looks. It looked like Milford seemed confused and were playing a little to out of control on both sides of the ball and couldn't find their rhythm. And then out of a time out it seemed that holder went on a tear and scored a bunch of points in a row to get them back within three or four. Someone said holder scored 11 of the first fourteen not sure though. But that seemed to spark Milford back from the dead. The whole game seemed to go back in forth until the last few minutes where Milford stepped up and made some nice stops on the defensive side of the ball and got a couple a buckets at the other end to finish Pelham off. I think for Pelham Spirou had a good game along with lombard although it seemed tough for Spirou because Milford played up in his grill and he hard time getting open looks.The point guards did a good job in my opinion they moved the ball better than i thought they would but all in all they are definitely Pelhams weakness. For Milford Mitchell controlled the ball well and played solid defense and took a great charge on Spirou towards the end of the game which definitely took a lot of the wind out of Pelhams sails. Oluaghlin struggled in this game with his shooting he seemed a little timid at times on the offensive end of it however i thought he played a great game on the defensive side of it. Holder was the real deal tonight he single handily kept Milford in the game early and then torward the end of the game. I think Pelham really struggled trying to stop him from creating things off the drive. With Mitchell and Holder's ability to drive and create from the top i think it spells disaster for Pelham because they don't really have anyone to stop those two without fouling them on every drive and i think it could have been even tougher if Oluaghlin had a good game. Milford needs to cut way down on the turnovers they must have had a million during that game or at least it seemed like it. I think it's tough when their coach subs certain kids in there that shouldn't be in there because it always turns into turnovers when they get the ball. I think he needs to take another look at his rotation during tough games and have more of an eight man rotation. But all together it was a fun game to watch and it was really nice to see the respect and friendship between the two teams. I can't wait for the next game nice game and hat's off to Pelham and Milford.

celticforlife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

Nice recap celticforlife, nice to see a second opinion on the game and very neutral. Welcome to the board...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:56 pm

Yes, it is nice to see the words respect and friendship associated with the game of the night in NH in Milford.

2 keys I take out of the reports of the game:

1) After Spirou's initial offensive splash in the 1st quarter Milford did an excellent job defending him.
2) Milford has the upper hand on Pelham in the back court which allows them to double and muscle Spirou in the paint. In last year's Pelham - Milford game the Pythons had a much better inside/outside combo working for them in Hojlo and Spirou. Lombard and Spirou combined for 31 of Pelham's 45 points - Advantage Milford.

ChiKid - to pick up on the 2.1 secs time left on the clock scenario that happened. The reason no time was taken off was the following: "the referee may correct mistake when he/she has definite information relative to time involved." They can't go on definite information like a hand count for the FT situation like they can for a back court, inbounding and closely guarded situation. Let's say a team inbounds the ball in their back court and there's 10 seconds left in the game. The offensive team comes up to half court, then all of a sudden the horn goes off because the score board operator either had a mental or mechanic malfunction with the clock and there's still 10 seconds left in the game. If the trail referee, keeping a count with a showing hand, determines his count was at 5 for the back court count, then 5 seconds would be put on the clock because the trail ref had "definite information relative to time involved." In the FT line play in Milford with 2.1 secs left the referees had no "definite information relative to time involved." This is why the 2.1 seconds stayed on the clock.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Thanks

Post  celticforlife Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words. I wish all games could be like that however i feel like when you have kids that don't play year round and just get in there and hack and talk trash it makes the game gets ugly and dangerous for the real players. I wish that would be addressed by the head of the officials they really need to make a statement by throwing certain players out of games or giving them a T for flagrant fouls. They could clean up the game easily if they wanted too.I would hate to see any of these kids who have a future in college be taken out by some idiot who doesn't know the game or respect it. And last nights game was about two teams that have leaders on them that play the game right and lead by example.

celticforlife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty 2.1 seconds..

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 pm

So if the clock didn't start at all after a one and one miss, rebound was made, a pause of confusion, a shot from the free throw line,swish, ball picked up and held... No time expires. Referee has no way of removing 2.1 seconds? That seems very strange to me. Not that it meant anything but had it been a two point game and that happened it could have been huge.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  celticforlife Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:45 pm

The funny thing about it is it would not have mattered anyways considering the ball hit the rim and came right back to holder who just chucked it up and swished it. so if anything the points would have counted and the talk with mikey and spriou would have never happened.

celticforlife
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:54 pm

Strange, but true Chi-Kid. With out "definite information relative to time involved" referees can't guess as to how much time should be on the clock or ask the opinion of the score board operators or go to all the cameras that were present in the Milford gym. Everything that transpired during the "lull of elapsed time" would count: made shots, fouls, technicals etc. and then the 2.1 would be put back on the clock.

What does FIBA say about this, Chi-Kid?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty Centicforlife

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Not sure what your point is Celtic, I am just trying to figure out why anything happened after that. T and F and I always discuss the failures of the referee world in order for him to take that side (zebras) and myself to take the fan (always right) side. I know it had nothing to do with the end of the game by any means. However I do have to tell you that after looking at the game film I was shocked to see one ref only raise his hand 4 times the entire game... Not that that made a difference either but he was obviously ready to go home or had a hot date last night scheduled for 8:30..

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:09 pm

You mean by raising his hand 4 times he made only 4 foul calls the whole night or was it combination of violations and fouls? Refs raise an open fist when there's a violation or the ball goes out of bounds. they raise a closed fist when there's a foul.

Nice attempt at basketball comedy by stating the fan (always right) side of "failures of the referee world."

Wow, I thought you had done some refereeing in M-Town, ChiKid?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:20 pm

ChiKid - I think you and I should referee a game together. It would benefit you so much. It might take away some of the cynicism you display towards the "referee world", as you call it. IABBO rules only. Leave the FIBA rule book on your night stand in Milford.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:59 pm

I think celtics point was if they had taken the 2.1 off the clock the exchange and subsequent airball from 75 feet would never have happened....and we all would have gone to bed without the fuzzy feeling that exchange created in Milford.

tongue
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Cant sleep Friday picks! Empty White flag raised.. it meant nothing.. lol

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:46 pm

...White flag...

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum