New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Boys Freshman Tournament @ Central

+2
JAF
BoscoD39
6 posters

Go down

Boys Freshman Tournament @ Central Empty Boys Freshman Tournament @ Central

Post  BoscoD39 Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 am

2014 Boys Freshman Tournament:

Saturday, Feb. 22nd

Game One: (8:00) #5 BG vs. #12 Nashua South
Game Two: (9:30) #4 Exeter vs. #13 Londonderry
Game Three: (11:00) #8 Merrimack vs. #9 Alvirne
Game Four: (12:30) #1 Salem vs. #16 Concord
Game Five: (2:00) #2 Memorial vs. #15 Bedford
Game Six: (3:30) #7 Nashua North vs. #10 Timberlane
Game Seven: (5:00) #3 Central vs. #14 West
Game Eight: (6:30) #6 Winnacunnet vs. #11 Pinkerton

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Boys Freshman Tournament @ Central Empty Re: Boys Freshman Tournament @ Central

Post  JAF Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Just got back... Day 1 Winners went to top seeds except for BG.

South
Exeter
Merrimack
Salem
Memorial
North
Central
Winnacunnet

Day 2 Winners (so far)
Salem
Exeter

Semis on Monday
Finals on Tuesday (3P)

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:41 pm

So how does this go?

Do the best freshman that play on JV go as well?

How about freshman that play varsity do they play? can't be that many

Sounds like a cool thing for the younger kids

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:55 am

Historically speaking, I would say some teams come with Freshman who played JV... I'm sure at least one of the teams I saw yesterday had at least 3 such players (roster of 16 at the tourney tells you something). But that's true for *all* sports with a Freshman tournament at the end of the season. There are many reasons for it, but mostly they have to do with winning. I do feel for the Freshman only player who loses minutes to the drop down player, but better to know now where you "rate" in the program... To say the least, it's very obvious which players have played at the much faster paced JV game. The difference between JV and Frosh at D1 is quite noticeable.

Whether there's a Varsity playing Freshman that plays is probably up to the coach; however, if that player is that good enough to be in your starting 5 would you risk it? Tough call.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:26 am

There are restrictions for Frosh playing in the Frosh Tournament, but not being eligible for the JV Tournament. You can't play in both. It's one or the other.

There was a team in the JV Tournament last year that only had 5 players for their prelim game. They had freshmen who had played the previous weekend in the Frosh Tournament at Central who were ineligible to play in the JV Tournament at West.

If a JV player swings to Varsity they ARE eligible to play for their Varsity teams in the playoffs. This is why they complete the JV Tournament a day or two before the Playoffs start.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  hoops31 Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:52 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:There are restrictions for Frosh playing in the Frosh Tournament, but not being eligible for the JV Tournament. You can't play in both. It's one or the other.

There was a team in the JV Tournament last year that only had 5 players for their prelim game. They had freshmen who had played the previous weekend in the Frosh Tournament at Central who were ineligible to play in the JV Tournament at West.  

If a JV player swings to Varsity they ARE eligible to play for their Varsity teams in the playoffs. This is why they complete the JV Tournament a day or two before the Playoffs start.

D1 rule is simple. Players can play in only one post season tournament. Coaches have to make a decision on swing players. Players are not supposed to play in both JV and Varsity Tourney.  
This rule has been broken by some teams in the past. Schools are responsible to do the right thing.

Last edited by hoops31 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

hoops31
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:16 pm

thanks for the correction I was under the assumption that it was okay to do both JV and varsity playoff tournaments.

you are right it is under the teams to do the right thing some of them do and perhaps some of them don't until they get caught. There's always the risk of forfeiting games also if they get caught.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:56 pm

So the wolves are protecting the hen house then?

Is there a tourney director at the JV Tourney reviewing the Freshman tourney books? Ditto for Varsity? Are there mug shots taken :-)... How does one know that "John Doe wearing #34" in the freshman tourney is different that "#34 on the JV team" with a name "Ray Johnson". My eyes told me talent wise and "better uniform" wise, there were 3 JV players on the floor at various times yesterday for one team. Would I go to the JV tourney just to see if they played - nah - I've already forgotten their numbers and faces. That's not my job man!

As far as I'm concerned - is it really that important to win the Freshman or JV tourney? In any sport? What does it prove? For some players - the Freshman tourney probably will be their last tourney or game. To send stronger players that haven't played on the lower level team all year long to play in a lower division shows a lapse in judgement, but it happens all the time under the guise of getting them tournament level type experience. Just my opinion as an observer.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:08 pm

I agree with you guys. I highly doubt coaches are manipulating rosters to win the JV or Fresh tournament.

Just trying to get an idea of who the best freshman are? I know one starts for Londonderry, but would he be on JV at Central? Don't know.

Probably some varsity D3 and D4 freshman who would play JV or Freshman ball at D1

D2 both Brady and Lebanon have some really really good freshmen. Saw them both play against Pembroke.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:09 am

"D1 rule is simple. Players can play in only one post season tournament. Coaches have to make a decision on swing players. Players are not supposed to play in both JV and Varsity Tourney.
This rule has been broken by some teams in the past. Schools are responsible to do the right thing."
Hoops31

I talked with a D1 Varsity coach tonight. I was right with my initial post that players who play in JV Playoffs ARE ELIGIBLE to play in the Varsity playoffs. I received 100% confirmation of this. It was 100% confirmed if you play in the Frosh tournaments then you can't play in the JV Tournaments. There was abuse of this a few years ago and NHIAA stepped in and drew the line in the Frosh/JV sand.

However, there is no line in the JV/Varsity sand. I hope this clarifies things as we head into the JV Tournaments this weekend and then into the Varsity tournaments.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:58 pm

The rule as changed multiple times that last few years, you could then a few years ago you could not play in more than one tourney but then they changed it back two years.

To me it as way more to do with practice and experience, you take a few freshman or sophomore that have swung all year let then play JV tourney and get playing time, but let them still practice the next week or two with the varsity.

I know few years ago a player now graduated at South was a sophomore and swung but wanted to play JV tourney and he did and he could not continue to practice with varsity. It made zero sense he was a big body that could have helped with practice let alone maybe minutes in tourney if foul trouble accord.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:00 pm

It also can be important for some programs to win the JV tourney to help build winning with in the program, if you have a program that as been down for awhile but as a good group of younger clansman and they learn how to win at the JV level that will help the program move forward.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum