New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Dec. 23rd Xmas Bball Appetizers

+2
JAF
Tuesday and Friday
6 posters

Go down

Dec. 23rd Xmas Bball Appetizers Empty Dec. 23rd Xmas Bball Appetizers

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:19 pm

We have some nice scallops wrapped in bacon games that mean something 2 days before Christmas:

Big Doubleheader at BG:

BG will be hosting Bedford in a huge Girl/Boy doubleheader starting at 5:00 pm. In a rematch of the state title game the Bedford ladies will take to the C-Dome court to continue the defending of their Ship against BG who won the title 2 years ago. Bedford returns everybody and is running on all cylinders out of the gate. BG still has some talent in Sherburne, Kerutis and Piercy. They have an impressive freshman in Abby Field. Bedford could arguably have the best position players in 3 of the 5 positions on the court in the State. Bedford has more depth. BG has dropped a rung or 2 on the ladder. Bedford is at the Top of the ladder. Rivalry game with a bunch of Ladies that don't play Lady-like on the court when a W is at stake. This should be a good one.

BG - Bedford boys: Very important game for both teams. These 2 teams should be in the Top 8 and looking to get closer to a # 4 to #7 seed come tournament time. Both teams have very good backcourts. Who wins the paint battle and the turnover battle might determine this one. Fitzy v Migs in the 14? Holiday coaching cheer all around. I have to also mention you have 2 of the better assistant coaches in the state for each club in BG's Marty Edwards and Bedford's Colin Burke. These 2 basketball tried and trues have a combined Gazillion years of coaching experience between them. They are held in high esteem by their respective head coaches. Both are great guys and if you would have the pleasure of running into either one at the Jade or Billy's would be regaled by countless basketball stories that would keep you entertained through a few rounds. Either of these 2 class Asst coach acts could easily play Old Fezziwig in the Christmas Carol.

Dover at Exeter: This would be a hot rivalry game in previous years. People are telling me Dover will be more of a Green mist this season than a Green Wave. Am I the only one who thinks Exeter is REALLY REALLY good this season. Many of my colleagues are picking them 6th, 7th or 8th. On the Pete and Dave hour yesterday they had nary a mention of the Blue Hawks. Maybe, Coach Holmes likes not getting any Pub or Hype, Except from:

Tuesday and Friday  cheers Basketball cheers 

Pembroke at John Stark: This would've been a good game in previous years, but it looks like the Spartans will have a higher command over the Generals in this game.

Timberlane at Spaulding: Christmas Miracle for the Owls? Even if George Bailey, Angel Clarence and George's brother Harry show up at the RCC they couldn't bring a Christmas miracle to Timby.......... BUT......Maybe we have a Christmas basketball miracle:

George Bailey (Timberlane) in Pottersville (Rochester), where crime is rampant and you have to be tough and where Mr Potter controls everything. George stumbles into the RCC at wit's end ready to call it quits after so many losses in D1. They sit on the sidelines thinking of bad seasons past, when what do their wondering eyes appears........ Brother Harry (Justin McIsaac) coming in with a basket filled with 2 pointers, 3 pointers, steals, rebounds and blocks. Harry (Justin) hands the basket of basketball riches over to the Bailey Owls and says "No team is poor with a friend like me !!" Timberlane gets the W and the Christmas Miracle. As the buzzer sounds the Owls look to the Rochester heavens and hear a bell like sound which means Clarence receives his wings.

God Bless Us Everyone    santa santa santa

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Dec. 23rd Xmas Bball Appetizers Empty Re: Dec. 23rd Xmas Bball Appetizers

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:51 pm

From 3BuoysHoops:

Game of the night: BEDFORD @ BG::::Two even teams this early in the season trying to "figure it out". Possibly two top ten teams in the state.Possibly not. Bedford: Fitzy's teams start out slow as he methodically implements his system season to season. how quickly they "buy in" or learn it determines how quickly they become a force. always well conditioned,prepared and ready for battle. one of the top 3 coaches in the state but might take a little longer this year (I think he's a little thin). BG: Lucky to get outta there with a win the other night on their home floor. Worrisome against a Salem team (albeit always tough, well coached) that is projected as down this year. Mig's team a "little" overrated coming in this year in my opinion. EVEN GAME (this early on) and think Mig's can be his own worst enemy in games like this....I'll go with Bedford in a Squeaker, although home court could be the factor.GAME OF THE NIGHT! Worth price of admission to see coaches alone. TIMBERLANE @ SPAULDING : OUCH! But just what the doctor ordered for a Coach Cronin's team that's looking around them wondering what truck just whacked them. It's name was NASHUA SOUTH. Spaulding gets an early Christmas gift and gets real well (at least for this week) against perennial doormat Timberlane. Sorry Timby your first win of the century does not happen this week....on the bright side Xmas two days away. DOVER @ EXETER :::: Dover and Exeter usually have great close games with Romp's more often than not getting the better of Holmes time in and time out. This year::ROMP'S you're walking into a nightmare that wont end and will be wishing it was July at Moody beach with Ducky, umbrella drinks and bikini's. Not the way you want to open your season, Holmes will be giddy with "Payback is a B____", and you will be walking outta Exeter dazed.MISMATCH OF THE NIGHT. Sorry Romp's but xmas two day's away..........................MOODY beach 6 month's.

3buoyshoops

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:52 pm

Lot of Moody Beach in your Dover v Exeter preview. Is this game being played on Moody Beach? If it is I'll have to hit up my boy Marcus to let me stay a night on Ocean Ave after I watch this Moody Beach Xmas Bball extravaganza !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:11 pm

BG 69 Bedford 66 in OT

Boykin hit 2 huge Lazurus- Like 3 pointers near the end of regulation to bring BG back from the dead. Boykin lead BG with 21 points. Freshman Colby Gendron lead Bedford with 23 points. It would be totally obvious to say Bedford is the best 2 loss team in D1.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:09 am

From the UL:

Bishop Guertin boys edge Bedford in overtime thriller

Bishop Guertin guard C.J. Boykin sent the game into overtime by hitting a 3-pointer with five seconds remaining in regulation, and the Cardinals went on to a 69-66 overtime victory over Bedford on Monday in Nashua in Division I boys' basketball action.

BG raised its record to 2-0. Bedford slipped to 0-2.

Boykin led all scorers with 21 points, including two 3-pointers in the final 46 seconds. Freshman Colby Gendron led Bedford with 23 points, including five 3-pointers.Exeter 81, Dover 32: At Exeter, guard Bryant Holmes tossed in five 3-pointers and finished with a game-high 21 points as Exeter improved to 2-0 in Division I.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:16 am

The Bedford girls were very impressive last night. They dominated BG early and continued the domination for 32 minutes. BG is definitely a better team than what they showed last night, but the only 2 obstacles that potentially could be in Bedford's way in D1 are Londonderry and Pinkerton.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20131224/SPORTS21/131229656

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:00 pm

Observations from the doubleheader at BG:

- McKenzie Brown didn't have a big game last night and Bedford still controlled the game from tap to final buzzer...... Not very good news for future Lady Bulldog opponents.

- Bedford has the best starting team in D1. They also throw some quality depth at you. The subs come in and wear you down physically with the D, the press and the physicality. Some of the starters rest and come back in firing on all cylinders.

- It is stark reality to see a team like BG, who lost so much from last season in Grren, Gibbs and Hayner, put their team on the floor. Once Sherburne and Piercy graduate they will be even thinner next season. They have 3 freshman on their Varsity roster...... A sign of good things to come or a sign of the weakness of talent in their present sophomore and junior classes?

- Bedford probably won't be seriously tested all season until a 3 day span in Feb when they play Lond on Feb 19th and Pinkerton on Feb 21st.

- Baskets were extremely hard to come by in the boy's game in the first 12 minutes of the game. I think as many points were scored, with a flurry of 3's from both teams, in the last 4 minutes of the 1st half as there were in the first 12 minutes of the first half.

- Both teams are 10 to 12 deep. The sub buzzer got a supreme workout last night. Both coaches are trying to find the right mix and WHO CAN and WHO CAN'T. It was very difficult to keep track of when the last time some one came in or how long some one had been out. I think this had a lot to do with ABSOLUTELY no flow in the first 12 minutes of the game. It will be interesting to see if either team settles on a rotation of 8 or 9 or will burn out sub buzzers throughout the gyms in NH.

- There is no player more important to his team, outside of Eric Gendron of Merrimack, than CJ Boykin is to BG. The Cardinals are a different team when he's running the show. He could be the fastest player with the ball in D1. His drives and dishes opens up the Cardinal offense. I think he went had at least 3 coast to coast dribble drive finishes. With 47 seconds left in the game and Bedford in firm control and in delay offense I had the W in the Bulldog column. In the next 46 seconds Boykin hit 2 exhilarating 3's to bring the Cardinal back from the holy ashes. Now, the weight is on his shoulders to toe the line for the next 3 months.

- Bedford 6'5 freshman Colby Gendron had a monster game with 23 points. Most of his points came from the outside, but his length produced some paint points also. I don't think many people knew about this Bulldog weapon before the season. Now this wiry frosh will definitely be on team's scouting radars. He has a funny shot release in that he palms the ball on his release instead of having space between the fingers and the ball. He had a couple of funny bounces/rolls on the BG rims for 2 of his 3's. His length helps out defensively also as he had at least 4 steals. He kept Bedford in the game in the first half when they were floundering offensively. A Key 3 he had near the end of the game almost gave the Bulldogs the W.

- Bedford has a nice mix of senior leadership and young talent coming up. Grande, Meservey and Capistran are your known quantities. The Gendron brothers at 6'5 and 6'3 and frosh and soph, Josh Koehler a soph at 6'3 and 5'8 soph Justin Hayes give Bedford all kinds of punch off the bench. 5'10 junior forward Thomas O'Rourke might become a Haley/Tarrier favorite. He doesn't look very basketball-ish when he comes in the game, but he just out hustles and out works his opponent. It was funny to see some sequences where about five 6'3 to 6'6 players would battle for a rebound and then the 5'10 O'Rourke would come up with the rebound..... Paul Silas-like (Look Silas up on your I phones kiddos) and head fake and get the shot up. Take note Dave and Pete !!

- 6'5 Marandola has a nice touch on his outside game for BG. Kyle Gavin's game is in part tied to the dribble penetration of Boykin. Gavin likes to meander around the arc waiting for the Tasmanian Boykin to dish it out for a nice look on a 3.

- Memo to D1: You might want to have Bedford on your schedule in Dec and Jan as opposed to Feb and March. With their blend of youth and senior leadership they will be much better later in the season. They will be the official team NOBODY WANTS TO PLAY in the playoffs outside of the usual suspects like Trinity and Central.

- A nice moment happened just before the tap of the OT. Taylor Grande went up to Boykin smiled and nicely tapped him on the shoulder and said something to him about the two 3's he hit at the end of regulation to get the game to this point. Boykin acknowledged him with a smile and a friendly tap back. Nice gesture on both their parts after the 2 point guards had been in each other's face competitively for the previous 32 minutes.

- Bedford gets no rest or sympathy as they kick off the QCIBT by facing Exeter in the 3:00 pm tournament opener on Dec. 26th at Memorial.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:36 pm

Nice summary T&F... The girls score certainly surprised me when I walked in... Yowza! Of note for BG a couple players also chose not to come out this year including one who was the topic of much conversation two years ago regarding the reason she transferred... Side note - last year's coach is helping out at Campbell this winter. Seems something went very wrong at UMass Lowell...

I have to admit I was wondering when the scoring would start in the boys game... 24-20 at half certainly wasn't what I expected as both teams were really stone cold and/or the defense played by each side was really good... Someone behind me said they should loosen the rims a bit... BG keyed on two players and Bedford had others step up... Similar for Bedford, except they lost sight of Gavin late as Boykin was keyed on. The two 3balls he hit were with someone on him like white on rice and flies on, ah - oh family show. Shots that if they go in, coach is happy and if they don't, coach is screaming to pass off to someone else who had a better look... In any case, BG is going to need a couple of their other seniors to step up and score big points if they want to make a deep run... They also need to rebound a bit better - Bedford got too many shots on many possessions. Bedford is as T&F says a really good 0-2 team and 2014 starts with Central, North, Alvirne, and Trinity so it doesn't get any easier regardless of their QCIBT schedule! They should however be on a real roll come playoff time.

Personally - I'll take 18 games like that. As nerve wrecking and heart stopping it is for the coaches, that was an exciting game to watch as a non-parent of a player as neither team got more than a 6 or so point lead I think. Good stuff...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:30 pm

I gave and received many hugs at 194 last night and luckily JAF wasn't one of them.........

........Luckily, one of the hugs I received was from Mrs JAF  cheers I love you I love you cheers 

Speaking of better half's... I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs Edge last night. Very impressive lady indeed. She definitely keeps the Edge on the correct road  Wink I'm in negotiations to make Mrs Edge Judge and Jury for the NH Sports Forum. She rules with swift justice !! Very Happy 

One more thought: Was thinking about what has gone right for Fitzy at Bedford and what hasn't at Memorial and what seems to be continuing to go wrong at Memorial. It was probably the best basketball decision Fitz ever made in his coaching career by resigning at a sinking ship USS Memorial and signing on to captain the sturdy USS Bedford. No doubt Fitzy is in a great basketball environment at Bedford. He has plenty of underclassmen who will contribute this season and be part of a good team next year. The Bedford boy's jr high team is in first place in their Tri County league and has some nice talent. The Bedford travel basketball league is one of the best in the state developing a foundation of talent Fitzy will be able to mold in the ensuing years, if he chooses to continue coaching in Bedford. I'm not saying Bedford will win 2 or 3 out of the next 5 state titles, but I will say Bedford will be very relevant in D1 boy's hoops for the foreseeable future.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Justgivemethefacts Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:52 pm

Seasons greetings and a very Happy New Year...

Yes, last night's game was exciting but being an invested spectator, living in the land of OT is making me another year older even before the new year rings in! Though having watched this group of boys up close for a long time now I have faith that they will continue to figure it out as a team with Migs getting the best out of them ...I believe that this group has the ability, just like last year's team, to have someone different step up on any given night: Noon, Gavin, Marandola, Williams, Zimmerman and of course Boykin, just to name some of the upper classman, with a talented bunch of boys coming off the bench to make an impact...What I like about this group is their lack of ego, their willingness to find the hot hand(s) and their mental toughness, playing to the final buzzer...most importantly they truly like each other and pull for each other regardless of who is having a good night.....

Justgivemethefacts
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Dec. 23rd Xmas Bball Appetizers Empty Dec. 23rd's Games

Post  3buoyshoops Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:30 pm

re-cap; Exeter vs. Dover, Dover in for a long season,Timberlane could get off the snide here. Exeter Starters avgeraged 6 mins in the game as they quickly built 20+ point lead 3 minutes in. Holmes was already 10 deep with 2:00 left in the first and 13 deep with 4:00 left in the 2nd. 9-13 basically played entire second half as they rolled 81 - 32. Exeter good, yet untested early on allowing Holmes to go very deep into bench and get them experience. Dover could go for an O' ffer this year if Romps cant find someone to step -up.Long season for Dover................................................

3buoyshoops
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  UNH Sports Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:10 pm

The BG vs Bedford boys game was certainly a fun one to watch. Both teams got off to a slow start but picked it up in the second half. Great game all around. Unfortunately there was an inexcusable no call that determined the outcome of the game. On one of the three pointers that BG took, the ball bricked off the rim and bounced high up in the air, striking the overhanging supports beam/band above the hoop. Now there was no way that this shot could have gone in without hitting the beam, this shot was way off. However, the ball struck the beam and then fell back in. An easy call for the refs to disallow the basket. But no call was had. The Bedford bench was furious and the reporters on the bg stage behind that basket were all pointing at the beam. Coach Fitzpatrick was irate and screaming at the refs because the beam was STILL moving minutes after the shot. I was sitting just about as far away from that basket as possible and it was clear as day to me as well. I do not understand how that call is not made. Bedford should have won that game in regulation.

Here is what Jeremy Leveille had to say about the matter. I believe he was sitting on the stage right behind the basket for the game.

"Then came the play that you could argue determined the outcome of the game. Andrew Williams hit a 3-pointer from the wing, however the ball clearly struck the cross bar above the basket. Once the basketball hit that bar the whistle should have blown, it should have been out of bounds, and possession of the ball awarded to Bedford. Instead no whistle blew, and the officials called it a 3-pointer. Seriously people, this call was a no-brainer. Moments after the shot a timeout was called, and during the timeout myself and the others seated near that basket could STILL see the cross bar wobbling from being hit by the ball. If the officials made the correct call then Bedford would have won this game in regulation. "

UNH Sports
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:37 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:I gave and received many hugs at 194 last night and luckily JAF wasn't one of them.........

........Luckily, one of the hugs I received was from Mrs JAF  cheers I love you I love you cheers 

Speaking of better half's... I had the pleasure of meeting Mrs Edge last night. Very impressive lady indeed. She definitely keeps the Edge on the correct road  Wink I'm in negotiations to make Mrs Edge Judge and Jury for the NH Sports Forum. She rules with swift justice !! Very Happy 

T&F - When is your Top 10 WAGs of the NH Sports Forum rankings coming out?

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:34 am

That poll could be coming soon, Edge. No doubt Mrs Edge has vaulted into the Top 10 !! Cool 

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum