New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Tarrier's Week 5 Power Poll ballot

Go down

Tarrier's Week 5 Power Poll ballot Empty Tarrier's Week 5 Power Poll ballot

Post  tarrier Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:12 pm

UNION LEADER/WGIR/WMUR FOOTBALL POWER POLL The top 10 high school football teams in New Hampshire, as voted by the staffs of the New Hampshire Union Leader, WGIR AM and FM, and WMUR-TV after Week 5 of the 2013 NHIAA season, with first-place votes/points in parentheses:

1. Concord, 5-0 (6/60)

2. Bedford, 5-0 (54)

3. Nashua South, 5-0 (48)

4. Pinkerton, 4-1 (42)

5. Bishop Guertin, 4-1 (33)

6. Plymouth, 5-0 (31)

7. Exeter, 3-2 (17)

8. Keene, 3-2 (14)

9. Spaulding, 3-2 (10)

10. Trinity, 4-1 (Cool

Also receiving votes: Portsmouth, 4-1 (5); Winnacunnet, 3-2 (4); St. Thomas Aquinas, 5-0 (3)

Here's how I voted and why...

1.  Concord...I knew this team was good the 1st time I laid my eyes on them @ the Queen City Jamboree in August.  Now we finally get to see just how good they really are on Friday night in Derry against Pinkerton.  And if the Tide can get by the Astros, their next test is just as tough with Bedford looming in 2 weeks.

2.  Bedford...to think the Bulldogs haven't been scored upon since midway thru the Pinkerton game in Week 1 is crazy.  Can the D hold serve again this week against the high scoring Crusaders of Manchester Memorial(28.4 PPG)?

3.  Nashua South...Statement win vs Exeter on Friday night, dominating the 2-time defending Champs in the 2nd half of the 28-6 blowout.  Trevor Knight can certainly put on a show, but the Panthers are not a 1 man show.

4.  Pinkerton...quietly the Astros have won 4 in a row following the opening week loss at Bedford.  All eyes will be on the new lighted field in Derry on Friday night with #1 Concord in town.  We'll have the NH Sports Page video camera there to bring you the full video highlights package.

5.  Plymouth...the Bobcats put up a 50 spot on Lebanon last weekend and they should beat Laconia this week to set up a showdown with Portsmouth in the Land of Lenahan next Saturday.

6.  BG...I'm a little surprised the Cards had such a tough time with Alvirne last week(21-14 win),  but new Broncos head man and former BG assistant Mark Phillips sure had his team amped up to play against his former team.  Back to back challenges for BG over the next 2 weeks with Spaulding and then Nashua South.

7.  Exeter...I got on the other voters last week for moving the Blue Hawks way down on their ballots following an OT loss to BG.  Turns out they were right and I was wrong about keeping Exeter in the 3 spot prior to another loss to South.  

8.  Keene...the Blackbirds, who take on Winnacunnet this weekend, need to keep on winning to maintain their playoff hopes as they are in the toughest conference in D1 and in a 3-way fight for 2 postseason berths with the likes of South and BG.  A head to head loss against Guertin a couple weeks ago really hurts.

9.  Trinity...righted the ship with a commanding win over Kearsarge last Friday.  The Pioneers face struggling D2 South conference foes Souhegan and John Stark in the next 2 weeks before closing the regular season with tough games against Windham and St Thomas.

10. Portsmouth...the Clips are much like Pinkerton, sitting pretty at 4-1 thanks to an impressive 4 game winning streak after a Week 1 loss to Trinity.  1st place in D2 East is on the line on Friday when undefeated St Thomas comes to Portsmouth.  Then Portsmouth plays at Plymouth in a potential playoff preview on Saturday the 19th.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down