New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4

+4
Jeremy Leveille
JAF
Tuesday and Friday
tarrier
8 posters

Go down

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4 Empty Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4

Post  tarrier Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:03 pm

Some movement this week after some losses by higher ranked teams...

1.  Concord...I've been talking up the Tide all season long as a legit "team to beat" for the D1 Championship.  Now they are #1 on my ballot and, more importantly in the Power Poll overall.  The 41 they gave up against Memorial on Saturday was a little alarming, but you can get away with that when your offense puts up 69.  Looking ahead, Concord's top billing should be safe for at least a week with Londonderry next up on the schedule, but the real tests come back-to-back with Pinkerton on the road in 2 weeks before a home game with Bedford after that.

2.  Bedford...3 straight shutouts after a season opening win vs Pinkerton and the 4-0 Bulldogs have reached their highest ever ranking.  Hard to believe that it was just 6 years ago that Bedford played their 1st varsity season, starting the program from scratch.

3.  Exeter...I find it kind of harsh that the other voters would drop the Blue Hawks so far down their ballots, which ultimately sent them all the way to #5 in the poll on the heels of an overtime loss to a good BG team.  I mean nobody punished Winnacunnet for losing to Exeter in OT the week before.  No time for the 2-time defending champs to feel sorry for themselves because they have to make a 2nd straight trip to Stellos Stadium for a Friday night game @ Nashua South this week.

4.  Nashua South...are the Purple Panthers title contenders?  We'll find out one way or the other on Friday night.  We'll have the NHSportsPage.com video camera in the house for this one as our "Game of the Week".  Can't wait to see the video highlights!

5.  Pinkerton...just like I thought they would, the Astros have rebounded quite nicely from that 1st game loss @ Bedford.  Manny Latimore continues to put up crazy numbers and coach O'Reilly has found himself a QB in Jack Hanaway.  After a trip to Manchester Memorial this weekend, Pinkerton hosts Concord on Friday October 11th in another must-see match up.

6.  Plymouth...the Bobcats mauled the Trinity Pioneers in Manchester on Saturday serving notice  that they are the team to beat in D2.  Something tells me Trinity coach Steve Burns really meant it when he told me after the game that coach Lenahan sure picked a good team to go out with!

7.  BG...I've had the Cards in my Top 10 all season and they certainly proved they belong with the "statement" win over mighty Exeter.  Former BG assistant Mark Phillips and Alvirne are up next this weekend followed by Spaulding and then a big one with the long awaited renewing of the rivalry with the Purple Panthers of Nashua South on Friday October 18th.

8.  Winnacunnet...I'm not big on style points for blowing out a weaker opponent to earn my vote, but their tighter than expected win over Alvirne last week must have been a big let down game for the Warriors after expending so much energy in their OT clash with Exeter in Week 3.  Couple that with another close call against winless Nashua North earlier this season and I had to move Winny down.

9.  Keene...the only 2 loss team in my Top 10, but when the 2 losses were really close, hard fought games against the likes of Exeter(13-3) and BG(14-12) I have to keep them in there.  The problem for the Blackbirds is they now have an uphill climb for the playoffs in D1's West conference with at least 2 really tough games remaining against the likes of Winnacunet and South.

10. Trinity...thanks to the spanking by Plymouth I have come to the realization that I had the Pioneers WAY too high at #4 over the last couple of weeks.  I got blinded by the offensive fireworks show Trinity put on in an impressive 58-37 thrashing of a good Portsmouth team in Week 1.  Plus, after seeing in-person the depth the big boys of D1 have, I just don't see any team(even Plymouth) being able to hang with the top teams on my ballot week in and week out.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4 Empty Re: Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:22 am

I'm just waiting to hear from GNG on the big BG vs Alvirne game this Friday. I know he had it circled in HIS schedule months ago Wink 

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4 Empty Re: Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4

Post  JAF Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:40 am

Concord is good, but they have yet to face a top team and are untested. Perhaps someone can remind us how many of Memorial's 41 points came before Concord put the game away? Hey, GNG, who's working with the Defense in Memorial? Is that your old "buddy" Razz 

Bedford has athletes and numbers. They've been tested by Pinkerton and Londonderry. I don't think anyone expected them to do well after graduating Caparell, Collins, Cannone... But you put a good system in place, have a ton of depth, and you'll do well. Look only at Exeter and Pinkerton as two other teams with similar situations... Or BG teams with 100 players on the roster.

Exeter wears the target on their back and they've responded, winning/losing in OT, winning hard on the road. Better fix the secondary woes; otherwise, 2 straight losses at Stellos Stadium could really hurt your season.

South is good, but they've yet to face a top team - that changes Friday night. Their 3 toughest games are their final 3 regular season games... Don't look past Dover either - it's the letdown after Exeter game or the lookahead to the BG game.

Pinkerton has been tested, but they could be overrated. Manny is a difference maker, but shut him down, then what? OK - it's tough to shut him down, but the top teams can do that. They get the defensively challenged Memorial this week - what's the O/U on yards for Manny? If Jesiah got > 200 on them... Funny that Jesiah and Manny used to play travel basketball against each other and from my seat it was the best thing to watch those two athletes compete...

Plymouth just keeps cranking them out. Many folks thought Trinity could beat/play with the top D1 teams especially with G at QB and his receiving corps. Plymouth smacked them silly - go figure.

BG has been tested and is "surprising" the "football analysts" of the state. If this was a [he who shall not be named] team, I betcha they'd be ranked higher based on their performance on the field. BTW: They've done it without their fastest player being on the field for a snap this season and they've had success with some underclassman coming through in big situations. How's that for foreshadowing the future.

Winnacunnet has been tested and they have a good QB - the games with BG & Exeter are essentially virtually ties. The difference maker is the XP (made or missed).

Keene has been tested - unfortunately in their two biggest tests, they fell short. Top 10 for sure and they have Winni and South at home this year

Trinity is what it is - the BEST Manchester team :-)

There are 4 former D1 and 4 former D2 teams in the top 10. Three of the former D2's have played the two time defending champs and had very close games. Of course they're all ranked lower than expected - I guess that D1 bias still shows through. If this was 2-3 years ago, this board would be on FIRE with complaints about the rankings. Poor Eliot probably would be censoring people, but it would be middle of the week entertainment many folks crave before the fun starts Friday night.

No love for St Thomas and Monadnock in D2, but neither has played a "top" team yet. St Thomas will get to play two (Portsmouth & Trinity), but Monadnock only gets a good Milford team

Does anyone else find in "interesting" that four solid teams are in the "South" conference in D3? Which is more East - Somersworth or *anyone* in the East Conference? Pelham doing well there isn't surprising - it's where they've should have been, but I believe it's been said "historically" for travel reasons they played "up" because they didn't want to be driving 3 hours to their game. Now put them and Windham together in a team, place it in D1 and watch out!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 pm

Pete,

As you know I respect your opinion. However I'm interested to hear your reasoning for ranking Exeter ahead of BG. Both teams have identical 3-1  records, BG won the head to head meeting. And although Exeter beat Winnacunnet whereas BG lost to Winnacunnet, BG's loss to the Warriors came without arguably their best defensive player John Miller in the lineup. Seems strange that you not only have Exeter higher, but 3 spots ahead of BG. Just some friendly banter Smile

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:39 pm

Maybe...... Pete feels that if Exeter and BG played again then Exeter would most certainly win. Very Happy 

Remember Pete's reasoning on voting Exeter ahead of Winny last season at the end. Pete felt if they played again Exeter would win. Pete and Dave had a very spirited argument about this same point 2 weeks ago on their radio show. Pete took the "what could happen" approach while Dave took the "what did happen" approach with his reasoning on the Exeter/Winny #1 debate at the end of the season.

So, now it's confirmed. Pete is a COULD guy while Dave is a DID guy. I have to admit I'm a DID guy also. Maybe, Pete is a big science fiction guy and foresees intergalactic battles on what "could" happen in the forces of good and evil matching up??

Looking to add to the friendly banter also Wink 

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4 Empty Time to put up or shut up.

Post  GNG Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:13 pm

My blogging career{ if that's what you call it} is on the line with my prediction.

Alvirne wins and I will continue to remind you all{ in my humble style} which forum member has forgoten more about sports then most of you know.Very Happy 

BG wins and I retire from this site.Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad 

longtime readers isn't it funny that I now root for Alvirne and Merrimack.Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes 

Although I no longer bleed green and gold during the pigskin season, remember this GNG{ love talking about myself in third person} still loves BG hoops.

I love what that guy wrote saying if Lombardi replaced TOJO I would have a problem with him. He's right. I would.Very Happy 

I truly believe the new football setup is in no small part from this blog {and me } constantly ripping the NHIAAA.Twisted Evil 

Alvirne 21 BG 20 Wink Wink 

JUST IN CASE BG WINS.

Concord takes D1 this year and next.
Trinity takes home D2. Carmen lights it up. I met BIG Carmen this summer at his joint. GNG and Big Carmen.. That was quite a time.Cool Cool  Now theres a guy that ALMOST has as much useless sports knowledge as me.pirat 

T@F - I will be next to Migs at the game. Come over and say hi.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkidsdad Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:42 pm

GNG what makes you so sure Big Carmen can light it up againstwhat I believe is going to be Plymouth in the championship game . Did you not see trinity choke badly last Saturday .I know it will be playoffs but Plymouth is a far superior team offense ,defense and spec teams

bigkidsdad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkidsdad Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:55 pm

GNG what makes you so sure Big Carmen can light it up againstwhat I believe is going to be Plymouth in the championship game . Did you not see trinity choke badly last Saturday .I know it will be playoffs but Plymouth is a far superior team offense ,defense and spec teams

bigkidsdad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:16 pm

GNG. Week 1 I think jimmy was doing video on the press box roof - if he's up there again I hope to get a video of you climbing up that ladder!!! Seeing him in alvirne colors was a bit odd though!

For those that weren't there two weeks ago - alvirne now sets up on the far sideline. So when the band is playing the visitors have a hard time hearing.

Should be an entertaining game... Lots of mixed loyalties with the cuipa's still rooting for their son, but he's now on the alvirne sideline.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 pm

This is HUGE news breaking that GNG will retire from this site if BG beats Alvirne. I guess GNG has a lot of faith in the Broncos. Some might call it blind faith pirat 

Well, at least if you retire from the Forum it will be on a night you're next to Migs.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 pm

He'll be back. They always come back. ChiKid lurks on this site and is reading this right now wishing he was back.....
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:10 pm

Concord has big, strong, athletic skill players, but I have doubts about their line when they start playing the more competitive teams. And their coaching has been suspect in years past, which may become a factor later as well.

Bedford is a surprise for people just based on who they graduated last year but Coach Hines has set up an exemplary program and they have good athletes. At this point they should be, in my opinion, the #1 team. They've played some better competition than Concord and remain 4-0.

Exeter has had two close calls in a row...obviously dropping the most recent against BG. Still a good team, bound for the playoffs, with great coaching, but they need to make adjustments to be successful against the teams that have a passing game. BG and Winnacunnet are predominantly run-based teams, granted with good senior QBs, but Exeter will struggle with South, Bedford, and Concord if they can't stop the pass.

South is 4-0 despite Knight going down to injury early in the year. He's back where he left off, though, and this is a team that should be getting more attention at the top of the polls. This week's game at Stellos should be a terrific one.

I tend to agree with JAF on Pinkerton - shut down Lattimore, you own Pinkerton. Now, as he says, how you shut down Lattimore is the tricky part, and this is still a solid team bound for the playoffs. I just don't expect them to be as dominant once they get there as they have been in years past.

I haven't gotten to see any of the D2 teams play so I'll reserve judgement on Plymouth and Trinity.

BG should be 4-0, but they made some very stupid mistakes against Winnacunnet. That should worry anyone on their bandwagon...who knows when they may revert back to making these types of mistakes. That being said, this is no team to trifle with. They have had success running the ball in their first three games, then pulled out a fully developed passing game last week. This week should be an easy win against Alvirne so long as they don't overlook them following the big win. With Cote knowing Mark Phillips is on the Alvirne sideline, I doubt that will happen.

I'm not sold on Winnacunnet as the #8 team. They're 3-1, yes, but the win against BG was a little close for comfort, with BG shooting themselves in the foot several times. Then they barely escape North and they play a 1-3 Alvirne team to a 28-22 victory. They're best game probably came against Exeter, a rival that they were probably jacked up to play. I think they'll struggle mightily against the better caliber teams, and, depending on the conference structure (I can't remember which teams are in the same one as Winnacunnet) they may not make the playoffs.

Keene is an interesting choice at #9. They are 2-2, but they lost to 2 very good teams. That being said, they now have to beat South in order to make the playoffs, assuming BG doesn't implode in-conference. Parenteau is a terrific back, but I think they use him too much for comfort. If teams can key on him and keep him in check, they should be able to beat Keene.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:55 pm

Chikid and lurking in the same sentence. It definitely is the Halloween month !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4 Empty No lurking for me brother.

Post  GNG Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:42 am

Gone like the wind.

Of course there are several hs radio shows now that encourage people to call in. If your listening to a show one day or evening and hear TOM FROM THE BUG TRUCK , you will know GNG has moved on to a different venue.affraid 

Bigkidsdad- Little Carmen is a stud, a winner, and a leader. Don't care what just happened with them and Plymouth. With the ship on the line and this being his senior year {seems like he has been here since 2003} I believe HE will find a way to win.

Just as I believe if Coach Ball has another chance at BG the results would be different. My sources {one last time} tell me that he was none to happy that a taunting call was not made after the winning score last week.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:21 am

GNG wrote: Gone like the wind.
Like passing gas...

GNG wrote: My sources {one last time} tell me that he was none to happy that a taunting call was not made after the winning score last week.
Technically it was the go ahead score...

Sore loser... Shocked  Like the time BG had his team BEAT at HIS stadium in a Championship game and somehow he pulled the hanky from the back judges back pocket who was then forced to call defensive pass interference Razz ... If this is true - it doesn't bode well for possible rematch later on when a point of emphasis may result in a game changing call - let's hope not.

All the respect in the world for Coach Ball and the discipline his players have had through the years. They get/win/achieve? NHIAA team sportsmanship awards seemingly every year. But having had children on the field competing against them - I can say without a doubt their players are no different than any other high school player with respect to "doing things" on the field to either gain advantage or let their opponent know they were beaten on a particular play - they just seem to get away with it perhaps because of the position/power of the coach.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  bigkidsdad Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:17 am

GNG- I believe he is all those things to and I also believe there are three defensive players Reisert John Thomas and Jared kuell who are also seniors who will be ready to defend the ship I'm looking forward to playoffs its my favorite time of year lots of fun

bigkidsdad
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Tarrier's Power Poll ballot after Week 4 Empty Getting ready

Post  GNG Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Putting on my green and .... I mean my marroon and gold.

People know Phillips used to coach at BG , but how many know he teaches there?  I wonder how many BG football players have him for a teacher. I bet they had a ball this week in class.

37 daze til VEGAS.Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad 

I am gonna try and get on two shows while we are out there. Pawnstars and Cathouse.drunken 

Remember forum members

Nothin wrong with stirrin it up once in awhile, or twice in awhile for that matter.Very Happy

Last edited by GNG on Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Are you enjoying your potentially last 6 hours as a contributing member of the Forum?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:13 pm

T@F- A little dissapointed your not going with me to the game. Just as I was saddened to learn Dave and the boys didn't put BG - ALVIRNE on their slate of games to pick.Sad 

JUST SAYIN- Full moon tonight. STRANGE things have been known to happen on a full moon.

Side note- Dave Haley for the first time in 4 years not picking a BG kid to win poy. I will give you a hint. His last name starts with G. Gendron, or Carmen take home the prize. Leaning towards Carmen cuz he is gonna be surrounded by players.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:41 pm

5 minutes left in the first half BG 7 Alvirne 6.

Broncos missed the Xtra point.

GNG's career hanging in the balance.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:39 pm

BG & Alvirne tied at 14 near end of the 3rd.

This game is just like GNG's life: Dramatic

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 pm

BG 21 Alvirne 14

GNG's career is almost over.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:51 pm

South 21 Exeter 6 with 5 minutes left in the game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:18 pm

Very Very sad to announce GNG's career on the Forum is over.

Final BG 21 Alvirne 14

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down