New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Division one semi finals.

+14
goldenbear
JustinMcIsaac
dj5hoop
coachintheblood
TooClutch
bball101
RRBHGAL
baseball4ever
Tuesday and Friday
CasualFan
EBlessNHSP
SeacoastDad
NHRamFan
GNG
18 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Division one semi finals. - Page 3 Empty Re: Division one semi finals.

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 pm

ESPN NH reports that Boykin will NOT play in the title game per Jim Mignault. Again - this is Coach Mignault providing this information.

Apparently this was common knowledge for hours at UNH tonight.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Congrats to BG- sorry if you're a BG fan and listened, I get a bit invested in the Seacoast teams :-)

Toscano was outstanding all night for BG. Tim Preston was a monster for South, as were Mabor and Carmen for THS.

Really disappointed by nobody stopping the South kids from chanting "U-S-A" at Mabor when he was at the line. Way out of line.

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:00 am

baseball4ever wrote:Tell me this isn't true.....Inappropriate chanting by one school's crowd at the game tonight involving boderline racist statements. That would be...

USA USA is not racist at all, it is not good sportsmanship and poor taste but it is not racist. If they were chanting USA USA towards a Bosnia refuge would that be deemed racist as well.

It is uneducated and the kids as South have no clue what life was like there for the Sudanese refugees, but I for one miss the days of letting the student bodies get mean.

There was not a tougher place to play then Timberlane in Class I during the early 90's , those fans were brutal and would start during the JV games and get on you playing JV. This PC stuff as basketball games is horse crap and takes the fun out of the games for the fans.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:06 am

goldenbear wrote:
baseball4ever wrote:Tell me this isn't true.....Inappropriate chanting by one school's crowd at the game tonight involving boderline racist statements. That would be...

USA USA is not racist at all, it is not good sportsmanship and poor taste but it is not racist. If they were chanting USA USA towards a Bosnia refuge would that be deemed racist as well.

Not to turn the thread political, but in the era of "Obama is a Kenyan Muslim" bumper stickers, I understand how chanting USA at a kid from Africa can be interpreted as racist.

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 am

You're post makes no sense Goldenbear. You think it's in poor taste then say you think the student sections should be able to say whatever they want? Huh? C'mon now....
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:10 am

EBlessNHSP wrote:You're post makes no sense Goldenbear. You think it's in poor taste then say you think the student sections should be able to say whatever they want? Huh? C'mon now....

How does that not make sense, yes it was poor taste, but I miss the poor taste, it was fun as a student, it was fun as an opposing player and it was great in college to heckle.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:18 am

I guess it's a matter of opinion on where people draw the line on what's acceptable between sportmanship, good natured heckling, and abusive behavior.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  TooClutch Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:24 am

That is 100% racist...Why do you think they chanted USA? It is clear what the students were saying and that completly crosses the line of trash talk or trying to get into the opponents head

TooClutch
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:38 am

TooClutch wrote:That is 100% racist...Why do you think they chanted USA? It is clear what the students were saying and that completly crosses the line of trash talk or trying to get into the opponents head

It is not racist that is the incorrect word they were chanting it because he was born in another country ( not his skin color by saying it is racist you are actually drawing attention to his skin color and not the fact that he was born in another country. If his name was Boris Checkovsoski they would have chanted it as well.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 am

SeacoastDad wrote:I guess it's a matter of opinion on where people draw the line on what's acceptable between sportmanship, good natured heckling, and abusive behavior.

It was abusive, mean and not in good taste but Mabor got the last laugh he left the court with a big smile on his face and played a great game.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:44 am

Honestly doesn't matter why they were chanting it. Bottomline it is inappropriate. Just like 99% of the stuff Maryland fans are notorious for chanting when opponents come into their gym (they dig up private/personal dirt on every player).

Either way it'd be real nice if we were better than that. Clearly we are not.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  TooClutch Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:54 am

Completly agree

TooClutch
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:32 am

goldenbear wrote:
SeacoastDad wrote:I guess it's a matter of opinion on where people draw the line on what's acceptable between sportmanship, good natured heckling, and abusive behavior.

It was abusive, mean and not in good taste but Mabor got the last laugh he left the court with a big smile on his face and played a great game.

It still sets a horrible precedent that it was allowed to happen and not be corrected by adults. We just lowered the bar on acceptable behavior and kids may very well react with worse chants.

Mabor's team getting a win - or if they'd lost has really nothing to do with the other behavior.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:33 am

A few observations from the BG/Spaulding game............

Although Steve Toscano is not a "true PG" I thought he played an outstanding game and deserves to lead his team into the final.

A great move by Coach Migs when he went to the 1-2-2 3/4 court trap early in the 3rd quarter.......although it didn't cause many turnovers it really took Spaulding out of their comfort zone.

Lunn plays with heart, hustle and passion........

I really like the way the Freshman guard #11 for BG played. I believe his name was Zimmerman.........even though he didn't score I thought he played good defense, handled the ball well and didn't get rattled on the big stage.

Coach Migs has done a tremendous job with this group.......very impressive!

When Paradis fouled out Spaulding looked lost....... no one really knew where to go with the ball.

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:43 am

I have to side with goldenbear in this debate of USA chant. Inappropriate...probably. Racist not even in the broad sense of the word. The reason I can only assume they chanted USA was because it is a known fact that Trinity takes in refugees from other countries, and to my knowledge they more than likely play basketball. On another note, 2 years ago in the championship game BG students used the same chant....and there was no blow up. People are too sensitive today, how are kids or any person supposed to develop a thick skin!?

On the BG-Spaulding.....
- Spaulding was lost without Paradis on the floor, and were a completely different team.
- Toscano had his best game of the year from start to finish.
- Lunn showed determination and passion. He was as emotionally invested in a game as I have seen a kid in any sport.
- BG got big games from Gavin and Zimmerman, but the unsung hero from last night's game was Joe Marendola. Statistically, he did not have a big game, but he rebounded well and played great defense.
- Migs and Cronin managed the game incredibly well, but Migs takes the game because of the second half adjustment to a 2-2-1 trap press....which contrary to the last post I think it cause a lot of turnovers. Spaulding telegraphed their passes and were very sloppy because they could not get into their offense.

On South-Trinity.....
- Jack Preston was in early foul trouble.
- Refs stole the show in my humble opinion....in the 1st half south had 16 fouls to trinity's 4. In the 2nd half the fouls were a little more even but Trinity still had an edge.
- Mabor was great in the 1st quarter, and I would say he disappeared until the final 2 minutes.
- Carmen G. was great especially on the glass.

Trinity gave BG their game plan....shut down Mabor and Carmen, Trinity will be in trouble. BG-Trinity will be much closer than it was a month ago, this BG team will grind it out and fight to the last blow.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:48 am

The Observer wrote:
Trinity gave BG their game plan....shut down Mabor and Carmen, Trinity will be in trouble. BG-Trinity will be much closer than it was a month ago, this BG team will grind it out and fight to the last blow.

I think we've all known that game plan all year long. Problem is, its virtually impossible to do. You might neutralize one of them but pretty tough to contain both.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  baseball4ever Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 am

I don't believe that this statement of mine is an example of people "being too sensitive." Maybe it is people realizing "reality." Racism still exists, let's not kid ourselves. Whether it be in Mississippi, New York or Nashua, New Hampshire. If I had heard the chant two years ago, I would have felt the same way. If I heard it 30 years ago and knew the context, I would have felt the same way.

I know what the chant was actually saying. Why is it inappropriate, if it is not racist? Is it inappropriate to chant for your country?

In my opinion it was completely racist. Within the context that it happened, and, when judging statements or actions, it is import that we look at the situation in context, I believe it was completely racist..... in the context that it occurred. Unfortunately, everyone does not agree. If it happened at the Olympic games, it would be looked at differently. An expression of pride in one's country is a beautiful thing. However, in the context of which it was chanted, it is inappropriate and offensive. Maybe it speaks to the embedded racism that still exists in our society today.

Last edited by baseball4ever on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)

baseball4ever
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 am

baseball4ever wrote:I don't believe that this statement of mine is an example of people "being too sensitive." Maybe it is people realizing "reality." Racism still exists, let's not kid ourselves. Whether it be in Mississippi, New York or Nashua, New Hampshire. If I had heard the chant two years ago, I would have felt the same way. If I heard it 30 years ago and knew the context, I would have felt the same way.

I know what the chant was actually saying. Why is it inappropriate, if it is not racist? Is it inappropriate to chant for your country?

In my opinion it was completely racist. Within the context that it happened, and, when judging statements or actions, it is import that we look at the situation in context, I believe it was completely racist..... in the context that it occurred. Unfortunately, everyone does not agree. If it happened at the Olympic games, it would be looked at differently. An expression of pride in one's country is a beautiful thing. However, in the context of which it was chanted, it is inappropriate and offensive. Maybe it speaks to the embedded racism that still exists in our society today.
Excellent points. There is a gray area between racism and nationalism, where many believe they are synonymous. Either way, I agree that, in context, the chant was inappropriate, and probably offensive to the player and his family.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:22 am

Thoughts on the Semis:

- 2 tremendously exciting games. Both had enough drama to take up 2 games instead of one.

- BG did an incredible job of coming back. It WAS Spaulding's W to lose at half time. Spaulding inexplicably played the 3rd quarter like a team would play a first quarter in their first time on the floor at UNH. They were rattled and felt the moment. Very unusual to see this from an experienced team.

- Spaulding scored less points in the 2nd half (16 points) than they did in either the 1st (17) or 2nd (20) quarters. That's your stat of the game.

- Never has a 4 point performance been more important than the one of BG's 6'4 junior Joe Marandola. The 6'4 basketball twig battled the thicker and stronger Red Raider Bigs when Lunn had to sit with foul trouble. He actually rearranged some Spaulding paint shot attempts and rebounded his share. his length and competitive fire was instrumental for the Cardinal W. When I talked to Migs after the game, the first name he talked about was Toscano. The 2nd name he praised was Marandola.

- Spaulding's only appearance in a State Title game in Class L/D1 was 1964 when they lost 48 to 46 to the great Back to Back title Bishop Bradley team. You just had a gut feeling this would be the first time in 49 years Spaulding would get back to the Ship. This basically vanquished when Dom Paradis fouled out with 3;14 left after being stripped by Toscano at the top of the Red Raider offensive key and the ensuing 5th foul he picked up trying to get the ball back.

- Mabor Gabriel was AWESOME in the first half with. He was a little quieter in the 2nd half and finished with 26 points. Gabriel and Jack Preston played to a stand still in their regular season game. Gabriel had his way with Preston this time.

- Tim Preston was awesome also, but Knight and Penkala needed to step up more offensively for South. On too many South offensive possessions in the 2nd half it seemed everything was predicated around a double or triple pick for Tim Preston to free him up. In some ways it stagnated the South offense. Dunham and Jack Preston were not on last night. South needed points from alternative sources to get the W against Trinity.

- On the Paradis 5th foul and the 2 incredible fouls by Trinity players on two South 3 point attempts in the last 20 seconds of the 2nd game...... It's easy to sit in the stands and say 'why did he do this or that." Just like it's easy to sit in the stands and wonder why a referee "made this call or didn't make that call." Please remember, the season is hanging by a thin thread for all 4 of these teams. Last night was very thin. Most of these kids are playing in front of a crowd 4 to 5 times the size they've played in front of the whole season. They are human. There can be mental cruelty on the court as in a wrong decision that effects a play, a half or a game. There has to be a winner and sadly a loser. The UNH court is no place for juice boxes, cookies and balloons in the shape of animals. It's reality under the biggest micro scope. Decisions are made and there are consequences as in a W or an L, but this is why we play the game and watch it.

- It was known very early after the BG victory Boykin wouldn't be playing in the Ship. Good move BG. There are more important things than basketball.

- Kind of ridiculous for the South student body to chant U-S-A at Trinity players. When they played the National Anthem before the South - Trinity game started ALL the Trinity players stood at attention respectfully during the playing of it. Just saying.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:28 am

NH Notebook article on the BG Upset of Spaulding:

http://www.nhnotebook.com/2013/03/bg-upsets-spaulding-55-53-and-plays-for.html

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 am

Very interesting coaching move by the BG coach when he reinserted Jeff Lunn into the game with less than a minute left in the half. He already had three fouls, and Spaulding had possession of the ball. Not sure why he would take that risk, but he got away with it, although (according to Justin's call) Lunn backed off on defense and gave up a fairly easy basket.
Thoughts?

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:43 am

Quite frankly, it made no sense. What if Lunn trips on his own 2 feet and falls on a Red Raider and is called for his 4th foul in the 1st half?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Thank god Migs didn't have him set an off ball screen. 3 refs would of nailed him

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Clarification Edge..... 1 of the 3 refs would've nailed him on the off ball screen.

I've never seen 3 refs report 1 foul at the same time. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Clarification. I was joking. I need to start learning to use the emoticons to convey intent Very Happy Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Neutral I love you @ silent alien bounce

BTW - if I go to the championship game any chance to get a seat in that VIP section you were in? Razz Razz Razz Razz

Last edited by The Edge on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next