New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47

2 posters

Go down

Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47 Empty Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47

Post  tarrier Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:34 am

I took in my 1st ever D4 hoop game tonite when Newmarket traveled into Manchester for a game against Derryfield. It was VERY entertaining! Roger Larrivee, who transferred into Derryfield from Bedford was a force inside with 16 points, including 8 in the 4th quarter...he was a perfect 4 of 4 at the free throw line in the final 15 seconds to snap a 47 all tie. He also blocked a potential game tying shot by Newmarket's Christian Hawkins in the final seconds and then rebounded the miss on a follow up shot with half a second to go. Hawkins was struggling shooting the ball thru 3 quarters, but he came alive in the 4th to score 11 of his game-high 18 to rally his team from a 10 point deficit midway thru the quarter.

I really liked what I saw from Derryfield(11-4)...they have 3 really good big men in Larrivee(6-6 with good strength), Max Anderson(6-4 with good ball handling skills) and Josh Gilmore(a very long 6-5 with good post moves). Their guards were OK, but they will need to rely on their bigs if they want to go far in the tourney. Newmarket fell behind 8-2 to start the game only to rally with a 7-0 run to end the 1st Q up 9-8...and then allowed the Cougars to go up 10 midway thru the 4th before rallying to tie it @ 47 in the final minute when Hawkins scored and got fouled(but missed the potential go-ahead FT). With 3 games left against lower level teams(Portsmouth Christian, Hinsdale & Nute) Derryfield could very well finish 14-4...which could get them a Top 4 seed. Newmarket(14-2) has 2 home games left, against Moultonborough on Friday and the regular season finale against a tough Pittsfield team next Wed. Look for the video highlights tomorrow morning on NHSportspage.com!

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47 Empty Here's the video highlights of the game

Post  tarrier Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:04 am

Click the link to watch...
http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=1076

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47 Empty Re: Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Glad you finally caught some D4 action, Pete. I've seen Newmarket, Concord Christian, Moultonborough, Epping and Derryfield over the last 2 seasons. i love D4 basketball. The enrollment at most of the schools are 150 to 250. Sometimes, it's the only game in the respective towns. Each team seems to have a Jimmy Chitwood on their team. These D4's JCs could play on any other D1 to D3 team in the state and start on the vast majority.

Speaking of Jimmy Chitwood.... when I enter some of these D4 gyms, more often than not I see Ollie coming down from some one's shoulder confirming to all of his team mates the baskets are indeed 10 feet high. I hear an asst coach yelling out, "Now, boys, don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!"

Then in the stands Myra Fleener says, "You know, a basketball hero around here is treated like a god...They sit around the rest of their lives talking about the glory days when they were seventeen years old." Some one replies back to Myra:

"You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments."

I would reach the Holy Grail, if in one of these D4 games I attended, a referee came to a coach and said, "You need one more, coach." And the coach responded with:

"My team's on the floor!"

My God if that happened you could just bury T & F right underneath that D4 gym's coaches box !!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47 Empty Re: Derryfield tops Newmarket 51-47

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down