@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Jan. 22nd Games

Go down

Jan. 22nd Games Empty Jan. 22nd Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am

First, let me say it was an honor and privilige to be part of Justin's Top 10 for this week on the NH Sports Page. It almost makes me want to make an extra trip or two to the scenic city of Rochester.

Alvirne at Keene: I'm looking at this as a pick em game. This is a huge game for the Broncos if they want to host a prelim game. Keene has 2 of the top 10 leading scorers (According to NHSP) and this is a big game for them as well.

Bedford at South: Nice matchup here. If Bedford can't negate Jack Preston then South stands a very good chance of picking up the W.

BG at Winny: If you like a fast paced up tempo game then this is the game to attend tonight. Winny's lack of a Big will pose a problem in dealing with Lunn. If Winny can't have a solution for Lunn I wouldn't be surprised to see him score 24 to 30 and grab 15 to 20 boards.

Exeter at Merrimack: A rock or snow ball fight on the Mack court tonight. This is the Grinder Special as in the most Grinding game of the evening.

Memorial at Trinity: The best game of the night. How this game is reffed might go a long way in determining the winner. Tightly reffed favors Trinity. Less tightly reffed favors Memorial.

Got to give the girls some pub tonight:

Merrimack at Exeter: Probably the best matchup of the night for the Ladies side.

Timby at Central: A Ladies snow ball fight at the Simon Gym.

Winny at BG: This is not a last year's matchup of this year's matchup if you catch my snow drift.

Trinity at Memorial: These 2 teams are tied for 13th. Winner gets some spacing in having to face a Top 4 team in the prelims. The loser could be looking at an extremely tough prelim game to win.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Jan. 22nd Games Empty Re: Jan. 22nd Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Final Trinity 65 Memorial 54

Final BG 75 Winny 71

South having their way in 2nd half over Bedford 44 - 25

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 pm

How's this for balanced scoring:

Giampetruzzi lead Trinity with 17. Gabriel had 14. Rhoades, Keefe and Otis each had 11.

Kabongo lead Memorial with 22. Kante had 14. Akot 9 and Zoubel with 7.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:25 pm

Winny was up on BG at the end of the 3rd 59 to 50. BG outscored Winny in the 4th quarter 25 to 12.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm

South looked real good against Bedford,

Bedford made it a game iin the 2nd quarter going zone,

but then South scored the last 5 points of the half, including a Tim Preston shot with 1.1 left on the clock on an inbounds play from over half court

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Coe Brown girls beat West 82 - 9.

Are you listening and watching this debacle, NHIAA?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:31 pm

That is just wrong on so many levels.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:56 pm

This sounds simple, but it is so true. Trinity was just more prepared to play this game mentally and physically. Trinity was up at the end of the first 20 - 12. At half it was Trinity 38 - 26. Otis and Rhoades played a nice first half. They were hitting 3's, driving to the rim and setting up fellow Pioneers. The Trinity backcourt outplayed Memorial's backcourt and this was key.

Memo to future Trinity opponents. Carmen G is not a football player any more. He is a basketball player. His shot looks smoother. He's gained an extra step when he drives to the rim. He garners rebounds and swallows them up. Mabor Gabriel didn't have a POY night, but he had a nice over all effort. He probably had 5 to 6 blocks and altered a few other shots and made Memorial go to their second or 3rd mental offensive decision in the paint. I don't want to get in trouble, so.............................. having Gabriel compete "Mentally" helped the Pioneers compete with Memorial "Mentally." Very Happy Wink Wink Very Happy

Tong Akot battled foul trouble all night and finished with 9. He never got into an offensive rythym. Zoubel had 7 in the first half and disappeared in the 2nd half with a goose egg. Kabongo was the best Crusader tonight. He finished with 22, but easily could've had 30 if a few more rolls went his way on some slashes. When he's in the right offensive groove I don't think there's another player in D1 who can match his blend of explosive power and quickness when he dribble drives to the hoop. Kante had a good game, but a few turnovers hurt in the 2nd half.

This was a solid win for Trinity. Memorial had their best quarter in the 3rd. The Crusaders cut the Pioneer's lead to 4 a couple of times in the 4th quarter, but Trinity's offensive balance enabled them to get the lead back up to 6 to 8 points and the Crusaders were swimming against the basketball tide.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 am

Oh yea and the Trinity gym was only 75 % full tonight. Are you kidding me? A BIG Queen City batlle of Top 4 teams and only 75 % full. What's up with you Queen City:

1) Too Cold?

2) Still depressed over the Pats loss to the Ravens?

3) Apathy in general?

4) All of the above?

These are not the days of yore for packed stands at a big Queen City basketball game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:45 am

The following 3 posts of game info is from the Telegraph

Merrimack 57, Exeter 52 (2OT)

Down five points with a little over two minutes to play in the fourth quarter, Eric Gendron (game high 17 points) hit two key three-pointers to force the game into overtime. In overtime, Mitch Denton and Austin Franzen combined for nine points and helped seal the victory of the Tomahawks.

At Merrimack

Exeter (52)

Zach Holler 1-1-4, Dan O’keefe 1-0-2, Sam kalenarczk 3-0-6, Joe Snider 1-0-2, Reed Edrner 2-3-7, Tyler Russ 6-1-15, Zach Adler 1-0-2, Max Melody 5-0-10, Chris Stol 2-1-5 Totals: 22-8-52

HOME TEAM (57)

Austin Franzen 2-0-4, Connor Whalen 1-02, Mike Conlin 1-0-3, Mitch Denton 2-4-8, Eric Gendron 7-1-17, Mike Gasper 4-1-11, Shane Bourque 5-1-11. Totals: 22-7-57

Exeter (2-6) 11-11-9-11-11 – 52

Merrimack (5-3) 12-7-10-13-14 – 57

3-pointers: E- Russ (2) and Holler. M- Conlin, Gendron (2), Gasper (2). Next game: Home against Winnacunnet on Friday.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:47 am

Bishop Guertin 75, Winnacunnet 71

Bishop Guertin trailed by 11 points heading into the fourth quarter, but strong team play from both sides of the ball allowed for the Cardinals to tie it up late on a Jack Zimmerman three-pointer. Kyle Gavin (15 points) and Steve Toscano (15 points) both had strong games in the Cardinal come from behind victory.

At Winnacunnet

Bishop Guertin (75)

Kyle Gavin 3-7-15, Steve Toscano 3-8-15, Costos Niarhos 4-5-13, John Noon 3-3-12, Jeff Lunn 3-3-9, Jack Zimmerman 2-0-5, Andrew Williams 2-0-4, Chad Olivieri 1-0-2. Totals: 21-26-75

Winnacunnet (71)

Ryan Giggliadi 3-6-16, Pat Camprey 5-0-15, Matt Guren 4-0-10, Rich Ruffin 3-0-8, Spencer Kennedy 2-1-5, Cam Knowlier 1-3-5, Seth Edwards 2-0-5, Alec Boucher 2-0-4, Sam Segert 0-2-2, Ben Gauero 0-1-1 Totals: 22-13-71

Bishop Guertin (8-1) 13-20-17-25 – 75

Winnacunnet (4-4) 20-20-19-12 – 71

3-pointers: BG- Zimmerman, Toscano, Gavin (2), Noon (3).W- Giggliadi (2) Ruffin (2), Guerin (2), Edwards. Next game: Next Tuesday at Home against Trinity.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:48 am

Alvirne 64, Keene 60

The visiting Broncos trailed 32-19 at halftime but rallied to take a four-point lead into the final quarter and held on for the win. Tyler Livingston led the way with 25 points, 16 rebounds and six assists, while Tyler Brown added 20 points and Alec Yoksh 13. Alvirne improved to 5-3 on the season in Division I

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  amcman7 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 am

Central beat Timberlane 93-49. Starters sat part of the 3rd and the whole 4th quarter. The JV game was also a blowout, Timberlane is going to continue to struggle for at least the next few years, unless they can find some young talent.

amcman7
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:04 am

The starters did not sit most of the second half. Dixon was still in the game with 2 minutes left jacking threes. Doc was Doc and did his best 2007 Belichick impression.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:32 am

One important side note to last night's Trinity victory over Memorial.

In the 3rd quarter with just under 2 minutes left Tong picked up his 4th foul with just under 2 minutes remaining. Tired and not having a good night up to that point he remained in the game. Eddows was not available and Tshief was not substituted for him. He played the remaining part of the 3rd period and didn't pick up his 5th foul. Let's compare substituting apples to substituting apples......

...... Mabor Gabriel picked up his 4th foul a minute or so into the 4th quarter. Masuko is subbed in for him. Although Masuko does not give you what Mabor gives you he played a high energy 3 or so minutes at a key part of the game when Memorial was cutting a 6 to 9 point Pioneer lead down to 4 to 5 points. Masuko rebounded, played aggressive D and bodied up Tong, Zoubel etc in the paint. Mabor comes in with just under 4 minutes to go and rebounds, makes a couple of blocks and then hits a DAGGER 3 with a little over a minute to go to put the Pioneers up by 9 and putting the Crusaders in the rear view mirror.

Sometimes, in a closely matched game being able to substitute at key junctures of the game or not being able to substitute can go a long way in alphabetizing a W or L in the record ledger.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:50 am

Very good game last night. Couple of observations - Trinity looks like the most complete team in D1, while Memorial looks like the most athletic team in D1. If both teams bring their "A" games, they are very tough to beat. There is not a lot of room for let downs, however, as both teams can be beaten by any of the other top 5 or 6 teams if the energy / focus isn't there. I would be very surprised if both of these teams are not dancing on the floor in Durham come March...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  amcman7 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:03 am

Sorry... 4 of the 5 starters were sitting. Dickson hasn't had a good game since the Christmas tournament, so of course, Doc would want to leave him in to get his confidence back. Also, Pelletier and Plentzas sat a good portion of the 1st and 2nd quarters, and came out with 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter. So, it really didn't matter either way; this game was never close. Either way, the point of the original post was that Timberlane has some work to do before they can compete in DI.

amcman7
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:15 pm

Well, it was close at the start of the game. Laughing

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Jan. 22nd Games Empty Jan. 22nd games

Post  The Edge on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:20 pm

I am sure this discussion has occured on this board in the past but I can't help myself. Watching Trinity vs. Memorial last night it was clear that Trinity's backcourt won the game. They were either knocking down 3s or getting to the hoop at will. So it made me think about what a huge advantage schools like Trinity and BG have that are not bound to a geography for players. Trinity graduated or lost to prep school their backcourt from last year. But they can simply "bring in",not move in, two high quality guards and not only be competitive, but for most of this league dominant.
Does coach Keefe recruit these guys? Are they offered reduce tuitions? The public NHIAA schools can't transfer for solely athletic reasons at least theoretically. Is Trinity held to the same standard? This just seems like a huge advantage to me that will result in Trinity and BG always being competitive will other schools will have up and down years.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSports11 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I honestly would not be surprised to see three Manchester teams making the trip to Durham this year.

The way it is playing out Trinity seems to be, as mentioned, the most complete basketball team in D1. Giampetruzzi is finally playing at the level many expected him to, and with the depth Trinity has it will be hard for teams to keep up with them.

Memorial is certainly an unbelievably athletic team, but they lack the depth Trinity has. With arguably the best starting five in D1 it will come down to how much support they get of the bench.

Central has beaten the teams they are supposed to beat and with that being said I cannot wait to see them be challenged. The Christmas tournament was our best look at this team up against some stiff competition and they proved they could hang around. I already have my calender marked for the Trinity vs. Central match up at the end of the season.

Overall all three of these teams possess the talent and firepower to knock off any team in the division, but also have the ability to be beaten by many of the middle of the pack teams.

My prediction is that we will see BG, Central, Trinity in Durham, with Memorial still being iffy for me at the moment.

NHSports11
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum