New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today.

+2
Tuesday and Friday
GNG
6 posters

Go down

John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today. Empty John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today.

Post  GNG Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:13 am

The Manchester AD seems a little ticked off.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today. Empty Re: John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today.

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 am

I believe you are talking about this article:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130112/SPORTS/130119763

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today. Empty Re: John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today.

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:40 am

Now, this article about the same subject. With 161 members of the MSD being recently laid off, this is not the best atmosphere to try to slip a couple of out of town coaching candidates into a Queen City football team. I can see why the Manchester AD and Union head might be a little irate about this situation.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130113/SPORTS/130119696

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today. Empty "Qualified"

Post  Footballmom Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Let me begin with the fact I don't agree with the decision coming out of the city of Manchester. These types of rules limit the possibility of success and exposure of a few very talented players. I understand the position they are in with the teachers union, but it's a mistake and the schools in Manchester will suffer.

My question is really what makes one qualified? What are the base line qualifications for a division one football or baseball team? I assume different from smaller schools. Do teachers in manchester have even have the credentials to coach in d3? My issue with the rule is coaches who coach successful programs who are more qualified for the position will get passed over for a teacher that meets the bare minimum qualifications and no proven track record.

For example: Coach "A" is a manchester teacher with 5 years as an assistant coach. Coach " B" has 20 years experience with multiple championships, but not a manchester teacher. If five years experience is considered qualified, the best coach for the job gets passes over.

I want memorial to get to the playoffs. It's a shame because i know the kids are excited to have the new coaches. It is probably the same with the Central baseball team. Just my opinion.

Footballmom
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 pm

Welcome to the Forum Footballmom.

And..... Welcome to the Manchester SD where the union controls hirings. Yes, it's true they would rather take an unqualified Manchester teacher for a coaching position over a qualified non-Manchester teacher because the Mother SD has to protect their flock. Too many times in Manchester they strive for mediocrity and sub par, but if it protects union members then they are happy.

Couple this situation with a Mayor who is anti-education and finds nothing wrong with cutting 161 MSD employees while having 30+ kids in a class...... Well, you can see why Auburn is now sending their students to Pinkerton, which has gutted some sports teams at Memorial.

Hooksett is now on the clock for sending/not sending their 500 students to Central and West.............

......... Tick Tock Tick Tock.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

John Habib has an interesting piece in the Union Leader today. Empty Manchester hires...

Post  Newman Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:57 pm

It seems there is always a little drama involved with Manchester hires. I seem to remember politics getting involved in the West bball hire a few years ago.

Newman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:45 am

Read the following 2 comments that were posted in the UL comment section explaining the hiring process for the Central Varsity baseball job. These comments point out the politics in the MSD when a coaching position is trying to be filled. It will get worse in Manchester before it gets better.

Just because a person is a member of the teachers’ union doesn’t necessarily make them a qualified candidate. Mike Cotter has been a JV coach for Central for the past 7 years and has earned the respect of the players, the parents and the Athletics Director during this time. He has given his heart and soul to this position for 7 years. Doesn’t this count for anything? This position was posted over the summer, interviews were conducted in September, and out of all those who applied, Mike Cotter was unanimously nominated in October for the position. Obviously the committee thought he was the best candidate for Varsity coach. The article states that the policy has been in place, but not followed for years. Maybe the policy wasn’t followed because it is not the best policy? Maybe the policy should be changed instead of reposting the position for which a person has already been nominated? The handling of this position has been done in an illogical and careless manner and steps should be taken to rectify this. Reposting is not the answer.
(Report Abuse) January 13, 2013 2:54 pm

So even though Mr. Cotter is a paraprofessional,at the school where he is qualified to coach, the teachers union still considers him an "outsider" because he doesn't belong to the Union? therefore, he can not be considered as a coaching candidate until they scroll through their list of teachers? Give me a break. So he shows up for work...at the school...every single day. He works with the same kids as union teachers do....but because he is not a union member...he is considered an "outsider". So much for respect for paraprofessionals by the teachers union. this sends a strong and very clear message that the teachers union looks down on paraprofessionals and does not respect them as their peers. I see a very different negotiation coming for the next contract. Good luck Mr. Dick, you will need it because the day and age of the union getting these little perks in their contracts are over.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Footballmom Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm

All it takes is one "qualified" teacher to complain. You don't see this nearly as much in the school districts where the parents have more of a say in their children's education and extra curricular activities. It's a shame Manchester kids can never seem to catch a break. Ask one of them how it feels season after season not making the playoffs, let alone a championship. A good sports program can be a game changer for a city, but as long as this continues, it won't be for Manchester.

Footballmom
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:11 pm

Parents having a say in anything when it comes to high school sports can be a bit of a double edged sword in many respects (to put it mildly). It really comes down to a clear separation of teaching vs. coaching - the two have nothing to do with each other and should be viewed as such. The best results for the student athletes would be to let the Athletic Directors at each school do their jobs and find the best candidates possible - period. In this case, the parameters established by the Manchester School District are going to make it very, very difficult for these coaching spots to be filled by truly qualified candidates which in the long run is only going to hurt the programs and the athletes. Really a shame that once again the "grown-ups" lose sight of the big picture - these programs are for the student-athletes and everything should be done to make sure they receive the best coaching / experience possible in the extremely short window of time they have to represent their towns / high schools at whatever level they compete - freshman, jv or varsity...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Footballmom Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:15 pm

To clarify, I don't think that parents should have any input on who is the coach. My point was that in a school with a vocal parent base, rules like this wouldn't exist.

Footballmom
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Teachers should always get the coaching job over non teachers, if they are fairly equal, there is way more to coaching than just on the field stuff, just being in the building is a huge huge issue.

Teachers are in the building they can handle discipline they can help with grades where non teachers

Teachers are the best thing that Education as going for while SAU are the worse they have no clue what is best for kids.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 pm

Goldenbear - no arguments on equal goes to an in-house teacher. The point was that the AD's should be able to recommend who they feel the best candidates are and 9 times out of 10 I would guess that if a teacher in the building is close, they will get it. The issue with the Manchester school district policy as I read through the article is that they are now taking qualified candidates out of the running for coaching positions even if they are in the building if they are not part of the teachers union and covered under the contract (specific example was the Central baseball assistant who is a paraprofressional with years of experience in the school and the program yet had his nomination for head coach pulled), Not only a bad policy, that's downright wrong.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:43 pm

He is para and did not get the job, In Nashua the teachers union and the para union have different contracts but pretty much are in the same union. That is a joke does he still work in Manchester or did he leave the district.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 am

Sounds to me like he is still a Manchester school district employee. If it were me, wouldn't be for much longer...

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum