@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games

Go down

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games Empty Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games

Post  TheDeafPanther07 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:19 pm

I don't think many people knew this but Concord Boys went to North last night and all who didn't go, missed a great game. Concord beat North 51-49 with about 2 seconds left on the clock. North tied it in the 4th after being behind since middle of the 1st and Concord scored with about 2.8 seconds. North called a Timeout, tried to throw the ball to half court and the receiver was Out of bounds and Concord mishandled the inbound and didn't get FTs and North had a shot but it didn't go.

My night was spent chatting with Coach Goodridge and Doc Wheeler for most of the night. I know them because I have been coaching the last few years at South before this year.

Jan 4th Slate:
Alvirne at Spaulding
North at Bedford
Keene at BG
Memorial at Dover
Exeter at Man Central
Londonderry at Concord
Man West at Winnacunnet
Merrimack at South- don't know who to pick for this game, both are good teams and I think evenly matched.
Pinkerton at Timberlane

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games Empty Re: Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games

Post  BoscoD39 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:31 pm

I was there, but I must have been watching a different game. It was poorly played on both sides. The only thing worse than some of the play was the work of the officials, who missed several calls. One thing of note was that Concord played without Kaleb Marquis. North didn't appear to be comfortable in any of the offensive sets and Concord was very loose with the basketball and I thought allowed North back into the game after having a double digit lead.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games Empty Concord vs. North

Post  TheDeafPanther07 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Most of the things you said, I have them written in my notebook (and more) but for entertainment value, it was a good game. I am not going to go into detail of my scouting report and but here's what I got: North is young, not disciplined all the time, but I think they are a better defensive team then they showed. Concord just don't have any good dribblers to consistantly keep the ball moving on the floor. Refs were letting them play a bit and the coaches and I were sorta scratching our heads on some calls or no call. Not the best game but I have seen worst.

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games Empty Concord vs North plus Jan 4 Games

Post  sjsprague on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:39 pm

I though that this was an extremely sloppy game by both teams. Neither team is impressive the only thing that Concord missed was Kaleb Marquis. With Mr. Marquis, Concord would have won by 25.

I though the refs did an OK job - I have certainly seen much worse.

This game was a sleeper.

sjsprague
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games Empty Re: Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games

Post  mmartineaunhti2015 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Mike Plentzas from Central got cleared to play tomorrow by a doctor

mmartineaunhti2015
All-State
All-State

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMartineaumchs

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm

TheDeafPanther07 wrote:I don't think many people knew this but Concord Boys went to North last night and all who didn't go, missed a great game. Concord beat North 51-49 with about 2 seconds left on the clock. North tied it in the 4th after being behind since middle of the 1st and Concord scored with about 2.8 seconds. North called a Timeout, tried to throw the ball to half court and the receiver was Out of bounds and Concord mishandled the inbound and didn't get FTs and North had a shot but it didn't go.

My night was spent chatting with Coach Goodridge and Doc Wheeler for most of the night. I know them because I have been coaching the last few years at South before this year.

Jan 4th Slate:
Alvirne at Spaulding
North at Bedford
Keene at BG
Memorial at Dover
Exeter at Man Central
Londonderry at Concord
Man West at Winnacunnet
Merrimack at South- don't know who to pick for this game, both are good teams and I think evenly matched.
Pinkerton at Timberlane

Spaulding - good game but Spaulding has too much firepower
Bedford - North is looking like it will be a long season
BG - No answer for Lund and Boykin
Memorial - interesting test for Memorial, long ride, hostile crowd
Central - Pelliter and backcourt too much for Exeter
Londonderry - though this a toss-up without Coveney. Is Kaleb Marquis playing?
Winnacunnet - too much pressure for West
South - Merrimack is a 9 win team at best
Pinkerton - too much size for Timberlane

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Concord vs. North plus Jan 4th Games Empty Concord vs North plus Jan 4 Games

Post  sjsprague on Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Kaleb Marquis is not playing. Should be more interesting since Londonderry is also missing a key player.

sjsprague
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:46 pm

Went to Exeter Central game good game Exeter had their chances the big kid is pretty good but they dont go to him enough and 24 loves to the attack the rim and is a good player.

Central is not very big but did get pretty good game of the bench form number 20 about 6-2.

Exeter played a 3-2 zone and gave up tons of long rebounds and second chacne points.

I coached the under 16 for the NH titans this past season and though Dickson and Hansen played up most of the year they played U 16 for the state and some other tourney. Brett as come along way since July and is going to be a special player. Dawson is just a fun kid to be around and watch play.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:02 am

Some mild happenings tonight. Dover boys beats Memorial by 12. Holiday Tournament hangover for the Crusaders? Mild upset for sure. Technically, there were some interesting things going on in that game.

North girls beat Bedford 55 to 52...... Well, that's a mild upset.

Lebanon beats john Stark by 29..... That's mildly surprising.

Spaulding beats Alvirne by 22...... That surprises me..... kind of mildly.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenwaveAlum on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:20 am

Great win for the Greenwave over Memorial tonight. Dover's backcourt duo of Colin Shaugnessy and Josh Cote proved too much for Memorial tonight. Dover's defensive pressure in the 2nd half also caused a lot of problems for Memorial.

At the end of the game, it seemed frustration and a little help from the Dover student section got the best of Memorial as they were called for 4 technical fouls late in the 4th Quarter. Dover sunk their free throws and ran out the clock to preserve the victory.

Side note: Bad news for the Greenwave came in the 4th Quarter as Mike Wons was injured and down on the floor for a few minutes. He did not return to the game but came out of the trainers room on crutches and a thorough ice wrap on his knee to sit the remainder of the game on the bench. Hope it isn't serious for the Senior Captain as that would be very big loss for the Greenwave.

GreenwaveAlum
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:24 am

Thanks for the game recap GreenWaveAlum! Welcome to the forum. Heard it got a bit feisty on the Memorial side with 5 techs handed out. Very good win for Dover over one of the early season favorites.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:29 am

Thanks for the update GreenwaveAlum and welcome to the Forum. It's always nice to get some more Seacoast points of view during the basketball season.

Big win for Dover that could give them some much needed momentum heading into 2013.

As far as Memorial goes.... Let's see..... Just about an hour bus ride to an unfriendly court, going against a well coached team and against a loud and boisterous student section. Almost sounds like you could insert a Final Four game in Durham during the month of March. Not a good sign for Memorial to lose this game and their discipline in the 4th quarter......TECHNICALLY speaking.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GreenwaveAlum on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:39 am

I have been reading the forum for a while but finally decided to join!

Memorial was very much still in the game only down 65-60 with just under a minute left when they received their first technical. Shaughnessy hits his two free-throws, one technical leads to the others, Josh Cote hits 5 of 6 free-throws and all of sudden Dover is up 72-60 with no time run off the clock.

If they can settle that problem of being undisciplined late, with the talent they have they will be a very dangerous team come March.

Dover has 3 straight road games. It will be interesting to see how the momentum carries after the big win.

GreenwaveAlum
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:43 am

Only being down 5 with a minute to go and receiving a technical? That is undisciplined for sure.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:00 am

Real disturbing game for Memorial:

Home games - undefeated including QCIBT games, OT win vs. central and 20 point blowouts over Exeter and Salem
Road record - 6 point win vs. Londonderry which if Londonderry makes1/4 of their missed shots in the paint they win by 8. 7 point win over a weak Timberlane team. 12 point loss to Dover with a severe lack of discipline in crunch time.

Not a good sign.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 am

You're preaching to the basketball choir, Edge. Before the season started there were some basketball people not saying IF, but WHEN Memorial would implode as a team. It looks like everything some people said in a negative way about Memorial reared it's ugly head in Dover tonight.

I'm getting convoluted reports as to whether it was 4 or 5 technicals Memorial received tonight. Either way, Edge, your choice of the word:

Disturbing

Is very appropriate to describe Memorial tonight.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 pm

Also surprised at the BG vs. Keene score. 78-77. 32 minute game no shot clock 155 combined points. Anybody playing D?

BG has got to play better D than that to compete with the upper echelon teams

Boulay from Keene goes for 27 against them. Kid can shoot but letting him go for almost 1/3rd of your points against is crazy.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:11 pm

With the rust that formed on the Cardinal basketball team due to Holiday inactivity, I'm not surprised they escaped with a 1 point victory over Keene. Their style of play leads to a lot of points being scored...... For both teams. BG is 4 - 0. Here are their first 4 results:

BG 89 Bedford 74

BG 76 Dover 71

BG 48 Exeter 47

BG 78 Keene 77

So, BG has given up over 70 points in 3 of their 4 games. In the other, a "2 tractors in the middle of a Nebraska cornfield" game at Exeter, they gave up 47 points.

I think when it's all said and done it's conceivable BG will be one of the Top 5 scoring teams in D1 and they will probably in the Bottom 6 or 7 teams for giving up points.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 pm

It has been fun to watch the games this year and to listen to the banter on the forum. After the first few games, then the holiday tournaments, I have come away with the fact that it is a toss up this year. It will depend on who can stay healthy and who will continually work as a TEAM that will have a successful season. I like to watch the interactions with the players when they are having good games but more importantly when they are having off games. This tells a lot.

Bedford had an easy win over North which I believe everyone figured would be the case. This team seems to have good team chemistry. North just doesn't seem to have any offensive flow in their games.

Memorial game was an interesting outcome and some of the comments here make me wonder what is going on with this team. I haven't seen them play and have no input. Dover is a strong team and it will be interesting to see where they end up. There are a few Dover players that if you get in their head you can have your way with them as the game goes on.

BG win over Keene. Went to this one last night - A win is a win, Lunn rebounded well & played hard but couldn't get the shots to go down. Toscano & Williams had good games. Regardless of the endless banter about this team, this is a TEAM this year, and tonight they showed it when they all contributed to squeak out a win. GNGs comment about being rusty from not playing for 2 weeks may be right.

South and Merrimack game was closer than I though it would be. Missed the final game of the holiday tournament, can't wait to see South play. Mazz is a fun coach to watch.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:34 pm

BG is young - to close the game they had 2 frosh getting significant minutes. Not so sure rust was a factor - forgetful yes... As it forgetful that when you score the other team is coming right back at you. It was a game of runs - Keene started up 5-0, then BG got the next 12-14 before Keene got close again. At the 1q BG had no fouls - not a "usual" occurrence! BG would go up 8-10 points and Keene would come back within 4 up to half. After half BG kicks it up to 13, only to see it shrink to 6 after 3. BG went stone cold for the first 6 minutes of the 4th and Keene went up 5. BG went ahead down the stretch by 1, Keene answered right back to go up 1... BG then gets winner with about 6-8 seconds left. Keene gets their TO with about 5 left, but could only get a long 3 from the corner for a potential game winner - it fell short. I agree with CasualFan that BG certainly looked like a team last night save for a few possessions. Jeff had an off night - just didn't look to be himself. Very tough night shooting.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum