New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Dec 21 Games

3 posters

Go down

Dec 21 Games Empty Dec 21 Games

Post  SeacoastDad Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:51 pm

Pembroke defeated Portsmouth tonight 76-59, and the game wasn't as close as the score indicates. I think I saw the best player in D2 tonight. Patrick Welch of Pembroke lit it up for 38 points, and could have had more if he wasn't unselfish. I would submit that he is one of the top five players in the state. And only a junior. Discuss.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Dec 21 Games Empty Re: Dec 21 Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:14 am

I was in Pembroke tonight to watch the Lady Clippers 47 to 37 victory over Pembroke. I was impressed with the balance of Portsmouth's team. They have a good Big in 6'3 senior Alicia Brown. Pembroke had a tough time dealing with her with their under sized lineup. 5'11 senior Devon Parker is a versatile player who really helps the team when she brings the ball up against pressure. Parker could have had a few more points if she could've knocked down some more FTs. She was long iron on the majority of the charity tosses she attempted. The key player for Portsmouth tonight was 5'7 junior Abby Salvadore. She filled in for Tighe Loch who injured her head early in the 2nd half. Salvadore was valuable in helping bring the ball up against the Spartan pressure. She was strong with the ball and made great decisions.

5'9 junior Phoebe Collins also had a strong game for Portsmouth. Pembroke is a relatively young team dominated by a slew of sophomore guards: Hannah Seidner, Kaylee Montminy and Molly Hamilton. This trio stirs the Pembroke drink. They are doing on the job training and it shows sometimes with turnovers, especially traveling, but you can see the potential there and they will give a lot of D2 backcourts fits with their youthful tenacity. Freshman Madison Allen shows some potential also. Pembroke might take a few lumps this season because their lack of a consistent paint presence, but they will definitely be a tough team in the 2nd half of the season and this will build nicely for them next season.

Portsmouth is 4 - 1 and are a definite threat to try to secure a Top 4 seed in D2 girls.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:22 am

SeacoastDad, I agree with you on Welch. As a matter of fact you could arguably say the best back court in the state resides in D2 with Brandon Len at point and Pat Welch at 2. I can't think of any other 2 in D1 that is better than Welch. I would take Len to stir my team's drink over any D1 straw.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:59 am

Thanks for that girls writeup. I'm sure that's more ink than the Portsmouth Herald will give them tomorrow morning. Portsmouth needed to find someone to replace Markey Flewelling (now at NEC) at the do-it-all guard position, and it looks like a few have stepped up.

Back to the boys -- the Clippers will need to find some scorers. Travis MacDonald had the hot hand tonight. It will take Portsmouth a while to find their way, after graduating their top 7 players last year. Coach Mulvey's defense will keep them in most games, but they'll need more output on offense.

It's too early to make predictions, but Pembroke is definitely a top 4 team, and this could very well be the year they get the monkey off their back and end up dancing at Lundholm.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Dec 21 Games Empty Point Guards

Post  rwvogeley Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:10 pm

I have not seen Pat Welch play so I cannot comment on his ability.
As far as Len being betterthan other guards in the state- that is a reach.
Pure point guard who can shoot, Tim Preston at South. I would take him becasue he is bigger keeps his head up when driving, has taken over games with his penetrating and finishing, and go with either hand.
Brandon might be a better shooter, be when I saw him against North last year he coulldn't get his shot off against either Williams or gauthier. I see where he had 50 against Milford during the summer, but the next game against one of the Manchester teams he could not shake his defenseive player.
Eric Gendron is a nice guard and I woudl also take him over Len.
Len is a nice shooter but in my opinion I like these other two players more.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:23 pm

Vogely, I hear you on Preston. I would take him to run my team also. As far as your point about Len having a tough time against Gauthier and Williams last season. Point taken, but I think a lot of guards had a tough time shaking those 2 last season as both had all state seasons. No shame in not shaking those 2. Gendron is not a true point guard. I consider him more of a 2/3, so comparing him to Len as a point guard is kind of tough. Gendron has to do different things for Merrimack than Len does for Souhegan.

I would feel extremely comfortable writing in Len to the 1 slot for my team each and every night.... Extremely comfortable. Check out the hilights from the Souhegan 74 to 65 victory over Goffstown last night. Some nice video of Len making some great moves, passes and decisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vVV677xUTI&feature=player_embedded#!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down