New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

2012 Boy's QCIBT

+2
mmartineaunhti2015
Tuesday and Friday
6 posters

Go down

2012  Boy's QCIBT Empty 2012 Boy's QCIBT

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:44 am

Here is the schedule for the 2012 boy's QCIBT:

Wednesday December 26th:

3:00 pm Exeter vs Goffstown

4:30 pm Merrimack vs Bedford

6:00 pm Trinity vs Central

7:30 pm West vs Memorial

Thursday December 27th:

3:00 pm Losers of 12/26 3 and 4:30 games

4:30 pm Losers of 12/26 6 and 7:30 games

6:00 pm Winners of 12/26 3:00 and 4:30 games

7:30 pm Winners of 12/26 6:00 and 7:30 games

Friday December 28th:

3:00 pm 7th/8th place game

4:30 pm 5th/6th place game

6:00 pm Consolation game - Losers of 12/27 6 and 7:30 pm games.

7:30 pm QCIBT Championship Game

Upon first inspection the 2 games that really stand out are the:

Dec. 26th at 4:30 pm game Merrimack vs Bedford. Defending state champ, Eric Gendron and Goody going against Bedford with Fitzy coaching and the Bulldogs getting indoctrinated to D1 basketball.

Dec. 26th at 6:00 pm game with Trinity vs Central. Arguably 2 of the top 5 teams in D1 heading into the season. Rematch of last year's thrilling state semi final. A POY candidate for each team.....Pelletier for Central and Gabriel for Trinity...... Any thing else? Oh yeah a couple of colorful coaches prancing in the 14 known as Doc and Keefa. If they charged double or triple the admission for this one I would gladly pony up.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

2012  Boy's QCIBT Empty Re: 2012 Boy's QCIBT

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:40 am

Nice article in today's UL about the 50th Anniversary of the QCIBT:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121214/SPORTS21/121219519

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Here's some QCIBT trivia for you courtesy of today's article in the UL by Jim Fennell:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121222/SPORTS16/121229716

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  mmartineaunhti2015 Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:27 pm

First day predictions: Goffstown beats Exeter. Bedford beats Merrimack for 2nd time in a matter of a week. Central beats Trinity in a close game. Memorial blows out West

mmartineaunhti2015
All-State
All-State

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMartineaumchs

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:14 pm

Not a strongly attended QCIBT.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:54 pm

Exeter beat Goffstown by 1.

Merrimack 58 Bedford 48

Central 64 Trinity 50

Memorial blew out West by about 25.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:50 am

- I heard the Exeter - Gtown game was ugly.

- I saw the 2nd half of Merrimack - Bedford. It was an ugly half of basketball. What a turn a round for Mack to beat a team they lost to by 20 just a few days ago. I think this was a reality blow of D1 b-ball for Bedford that yesterday means nothing. I heard Bedford din't have some good practices leading into the QCIBT. One Bedford coach told me we played tonight like we practiced the last couple of practices.

- The 14 point margin of Central's victory was not indicative of how much Central outplayed Trinity tonight. Dickson and Hanson totally outplayed any back court combination for Trinity. Pelletier played well for Central. If I'm a Central fan I feel a lot better about Pelletier being my go to guy than a Trinity fan would feel about Mabor Gabriel being their go to guy. Carmen G still needs to lose his football muscles. I'm not worried by him. He'll be a lot better after the new year.

- Coach Keefe picked up a technical mid way through the 3rd period.... NOT FOR BEING OUT OF THE COACHES BOX....Rather for complaining to an official during a time out.

- GNG wants a RemGem? Well, I have one for the evening: Brett Hanson of Central. As Pete would say, "6 foot nothing and 100 nothing." He was a key for Central tonight. he makes great decisions with the ball. He can stick an outside shot. He slithers like a slinky to the rack with his skinny body. Being a lefty helps him. He has good hops and can rebound very well for his "100 nothing." He is a very important complimentary player on this Little Green team.

- Word came from NHIAA today that they decided Isaiah Joseph is not eligible for this season.

- Plentzas did not play for Central. He is out another week or two with a hand injury. Central's victory is even more impressive considering they had no Joseph or Plentzas tonight.

- Memorial and West was surprisingly close in the first half. Quirk said the right things at halftime because the Crusaders blitzed West in the 2nd half. It was run and gun and run and gun some more as memorial put on an athletic show in the 2nd half.

- It will be interesting to see how the loosy goosy Crusaders handle the more disciplined and structured Little Green in the semi finals..... when ever they are played. The record of the 4 teams the Crusaders have beaten so far this season Lond, Salem, Timby and West is 1 - 11. In the Central - Memorial game we will find out a lot more about the Crusaders than we will about the Little Green.

- The QCIBT will make a decision by 12;00 to 1:00 pm tomorrow as to whether or not they will play the games with the impending storm.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:04 am

If the games are cancelled tomorrow the QCIBT will play the semis on Friday evening and the Championship game on Saturday evening.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:40 am

West hit enough threes in the first half to keep it within shouting distance, but Memorial was clearly the superior team. That being said, I'm looking for Central to handle Memorial relatively easily. Memorial doesn't play a disciplined game, and that will hurt them against teams that play smart and under control, but also are closer to Memorial in athletic ability and size. Timberlane played an incredibly smart game against Memorial and almost pulled the upset. Memorial won't get by on just athletic ability against Central.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 am

I think the only coach truly happy is West and the only one with a true right to be upset Keefe.

I don't think last night was really a you're in div 1 wake up for Bedford - no offense T & F.
Bedford and Merrimack were interesting in that they are both crafting new identities, so to speak, and not a bad match up regardless. Bedford had some moments that prove they can play and contend in the division. They also seemed to have pretty good court awareness an communication this early in the season! Interesting to see if they'll be underestimated as the "just cracking the division" team.

Merrimack last night will not be the same Merrimack in a month. Goody has a program in place and always develops teams at a good pace.

Trinity - I watched and thought.... Why did I think they'd be top 4? I realized I didn't have an answer. They were unfocused and not cohesive. Their talent is good but not extraordinary (tho no team's is this season )- they could fall anywhere top 8 in my estimation - except 1 or 2.

Central wasn't as gritty as central teams from prior days. Definitely had the best night.., but they have their own issues. Central with Plentzas back will be even more impressive, but I am less confident in their ability to take it all for some reason than I was before their game last night.

Memorial - I like Memorial, but they like themselves too much. They need to get their asses kicked hard on the court to get some perspective and focus.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:22 am

Good insight Tulliver. I will respectfully disagree with you on Bedford. They beat the defending D1 state champs by 20. Being 15 to 18 years old I'm sure the Bedford players read how good they were in the press clippings. They had to go into last night's game with Merrimack with some natural complacency. Add some adjustments by Goody along with some Mack Motivation and you have a 30 point margin swing in less than a week between these 2 teams.

I get the feeling I'm watching an AAU game when I watch Memorial play. I can't over state the loosey goosy attitude they have. I'll give you one example, which was my favorite moment from the Memorial 29 point victory over West:

The leading scorer for West last night, 6'3 sophomore Alfred Nyonee, hit a long 3 pointer in the first period right in front of the Memorial bench. After he hit the shot Memorial's Zoubel, who had just tried to defend the made shot, went up to Nyonee and playfully rubbed the top of his head as they both turned to run in transition. It was a very light moment that shows how the Memorial players truly have fun and are so loose on the court. In certain games this characteristic will serve them well. In other types of games it might not. I am very much looking forward to see how this Crusader team will respond to the inevitable rock fight they will have with Central in the semis.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 am

I just don't think of Bedford learning a D1 lesson from that - itnhappens all divisions. Could be Merrimack underestimated them first time out and Bedford was motivated to prove themselves after a loss to BG.
These areas are as gray as the snow will be tomorrow AM

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:52 am

with the way the weather is looking right now I think it will be a slim possibility that the games will be held this afternoon in this evening in the QCIBT.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:49 pm

today's games at Memorial in the Queen City Invitational basketball tournament are postponed.

The games will start at 3 p.m. on Friday and Saturday at Memorial. This means the semifinals will be at 6 p.m. and 7 30 p.m. on Friday. The consolation game will be at 6pm on Saturday and the championship game will be at 730 p.m. on Saturday.

what a great thing it is to look forward to shoveling removing and dealing with snow for the rest of the day and the evening instead of basketball.

bounce

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Thoughts running through my head on the QCIBT while I rest from removing the white concrete from my property:

Central or Merrimack have won the QCIBT 15 of the last 18 years. From 1994 to 2006 these 2 schools were the only champions... Central 10 Ships and Mack 3 Ships. The 3 non Mack/Central Ships belong to Exeter, Trinity and Dover which came in successive years 2007 to 2009.

Lowest team point production in a Ship: Memorial with 30 in 2009 in their 69 - 30 loss to the Alex Burt lead Dover team.

3 OT Ships in the history: 1978 Central 44 Trinity 42 1 OT, 1986 Central 61 BC High 55 1 OT and 1988 Central 86 BC High 79 3 OTs.

In the 50 years of the QCIBT the tournament was held twice at Central: 1969 and 1974. I was at the 1974 Tournament. To this day no QCIBT has ever matched the atmosphere that I experienced at the Simon Gym in 1974. Central used the baseline bleachers to sit the over flowing crowds at those games. The atmosphere was electric. The subsequent games I've watched at Memorial, NHC and back to Memorial again have NEVER captured the atmosphere that was prevelant in December of 1974 at Central.

All Name Team for this year:

Max Medley 6'6 Junior for Exeter - Sounds like some one I listened to on a Christmas CD.

Aleksander Holm 6'1 Senior Goffstown - Mr and Mrs Holm wanted the spelling to be different so their son would stand out. Well, he just made it on to the NH Sports Forum.

Kabongo Ngalakulondi 6'2 Sophomore Memorial - 9 syllables by my count. He is just known as Kabongo to every one, although I heard the Lancer PA announcer did a heck of a job phoenetically with the Memorial roster a couple of weeks ago.

Tshief Ngalakulondi 6'4 Freshman Memorial - I don't want to play favorites with Mr and Mrs Ngalakulondi's 2 sons. The only question is the phoenetics of the first name: Jeff or Chef? Some one please?

Kout Kout 6'3 Sophomore West - I've heard phoenetically it's Coot Coot. Does any one want to bet what his middle name might be?

Of the Top 15 scorers in QCIBT history 8 did not have the benefit of the 3 point shot. I find this totally interesting because:

1) It means those 8 players were really good players who could shoot the medium range shot from 8 to 15 feet. This is something today's player really struggles with. A lot of players today are either taking 3's or taking it to the rim.

2) I believe this is why you see so many more charges presently. A lot of today's players don't have the confidence to pull up and take a medium range jumper. They either want the 3 or will force the drive to the hoop and put it in the referee's whistle to call a block or charge. I assure you when most of these 8 players were active in HS hoops they had no problem knocking down an 8 to 15 footer. A lot of them had full confidence in their medium range shot.

3) The aforementioned 8 players in the QCIBT Top 15 scorers and what place they're in are:

Adam Gureckis Nashua 1967 - 70 5th
Andy Paul Trinity 1975 - 77 7th
John Gureckis Nashua 1972 - 75 8th
Peter Reilly Trinity 1973 - 75 10th
Mike Flanagan Memorial 1967 - 70 11th
Mike Applegate Memorial 1969 - 71 12th
Andy Johnston Keene 1980 - 82 14th
Peter Dufour Nashua 1969 - 1971 15th

4) Remember the interpretation and the adjudication of the block/charge in the pre-3 pointer days was a lot different. If the defender moved 1 inch and wasn't in legal guarding position a day ahead of time 99% of the time it was a block. So, it was to the offensive player's advantage to drive to the hoop. Yet, I will submit to you that all of the above 8 players could shoot easily at or around 50 to 55 % from medium range. There was no extra 1 point reward for a 20 to 25 footer like today. When all these players practiced in their driveways, Ash St School and Sheridan-Emmett Park at 324 Beech St in Manchester, they perfected the medium range shot.

This is a lesson today's HS basketball player in NH could learn from.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:07 pm

The Lancer announcer did do one heck of a job with the Memorial names but he did have some pre-game tutoring from Sudi Lett.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:41 pm

Final in OT Memorial 66 Central 63

Zoubel lead Memorial with 27

Pelletier had 24 to lead Central

Great game..... Best so far this season..... Crusaders received 13 points from their bench.

Game was like a Final Four game at Durham.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:31 am

Central 13 21 11 8 10 - 63
Memorial 18 12 16 7 13 - 66

Central - Pelletier 24 Hansen 20 Dickson 9 Makris 10

Memorial - Zoubel 27 Tong 10 Tshief N. 8 Kante 9 Eddows 5 Kabongo N. 2

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:29 am

T& F - because I evidently have no life I could not rest until I researched the answer to the can you sub in a player to shoot technical foul free throw questions. I did some research

For those not at the Memorial vs. Central QCIBT game tonight here is what happened:

1. A central player was fouled in the act of shooting
2. A Memorial player was given a technical foul for slamming the ball
3. The Central player who was fouled took his two free throws
4. Central subbed in a player who took the "technical" free throws

I was always under the impression that a player on the floor had to take the "technical" free throws. So I asked T&F for his interpretation of the rule. Because we all know there is no better authority. He said that if the technical occured during a dead ball situation (such as after the blowing of the whistle for the initial foul) the coach can sub-in a player to shot the free throws. I found this in the Natinal Federation High Schools basketball rule book:

SECTION 3 ATTEMPTING TECHNICAL-FOUL FREE THROWS
The free throws awarded because of a technical foul may be attempted by any
player of the offended team, including an eligible substitute or designated starter.
The coach or captain shall designate the free thrower(s).

So according to that you can sub in a free throw shooter for any technical foul shots. But I can also tell you I have seen refs force coaches to choose a player on the floor in the past.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:11 am

Edge, thanks for the confirmation.

Just to clarify.... You can substitute during any dead ball situation. Hansen took the 2 FTs on the first foul that was committed by Memorial, which was a shooting foul. He missed both FTs. I'm sure if Hansen had made both, Doc probably would've left him at the line to shoot the Technical FTs. When the ref went up to Doc and asked him who he wanted to shoot the technical FTs, Doc looked at Dickson on the bench and sent him into the game as a substitute. You really don't see it too often as most coaches would prefer a warmer player at the line. In this instance it paid off as Dickson knocked down both FTs.

To also clarify.... It wouldn't make any difference if the technical occured during a live or dead ball. The fact a technical is called makes this a dead ball situation which means the coach can choose any one on the floor or substitute any of his/her bench players to shoot the technical FTs.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:20 am

BTW - I watched the 4th quarter of the Exeter semi win over Merrimack sitting 1 row in front of Migs. I might as well been reffing while he coached because we were having incidental contact/displacement contact arguments on plays happening on the court.

I think Migs would make a good referee some day because it seems like he sees things on the court most of us human refs don't see Very Happy Wink Very Happy Wink Very Happy Wink Very Happy Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:21 pm

Other thoughts on the Memorial OT victory over Central:

The depth of Memorial has been called into question. It was answered some what with a combined 13 points from Zach Eddows and Tshief N. Tshief, a 6'4 freshman is a very intriguing player. He has a young body, but very good length. He rebounds well and keeps the ball alive on the offensive rim. He will get better as the season wears on.

Central's depth or lack of it certainly was an issue last night. Dickson tired going against Mayola and Kante all night. Hansen had to assume some point guard duties in key stretches of the 2nd half. This will all be remedied for the Little Green when Plentzas comes back from injury. With Plentzas operating at the 2 it will allow Hansen to concentrate on his duties at the 3. Central will become really tough once they put all the pieces in place.

Nobody works harder to gain turf in the offensive paint than Tong Akat. His combination of size, strength and athleticism makes him a beast to contend with around the rim.

Last summer I termed Zoubel as, "An All State player waiting to happen." When his head is screwed on right he can be very difficult to defend. In my write up, which will be on the NH Notebook, I said good luck trying to run around and defend Zoubel for 20 to 30 seconds defensively. He got free for at least 4 bunnies where the casual fan would wonder, "How can he get that open?" Well, you try running around with Zoubel for 20 to 30 seconds and see what you can accomplish. Lose defensive focus and bam he has 3 steps of separation which leads to an easy bunny. It's like a corner back trying to stay with a receiver while the QB is scrambling for 8 to10 seconds on the football field.

Central was 14 - 16 from the FT line. Memorial was 12 - 20.

It was a versatile offensive show by Troy Pelletier in the 2nd period with 14 points. He had 2 three's, a couple of slash finishes and a couple of medium range jumpers. One might say it was a POY type of period.

One can wonder if Oumaru Kante was a point guard on another team or a 2 on another team if he could score a lot more. With his skill set there is no question he could average 14 to 18 points/game with another starting 5. With the Crusaders he has to stir the drink and make sure Zoubel can slash, Tong can post up, Mayola get his looks from 3 point land and Kabongo can get his offensive fill also. That's a lot of responsibility for the sophomore point guard !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeafPanther07 Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 pm

T&F, I agree with your assessment of Central. I saw them their first game I wonder about their bench too and also their press breaking when its not a PG handling the ball. I haven't seen Memorial yet and I am intrigued to see them.

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Memorial won the QCIBT with an impressive 68 to 48 victory over Exeter. I wasn't there, but I heard Exeter hung tight for nearly 3 quarters and then Memorial went on a run towards the end of the 3rd into the 4th quarter to put it away.

Zoubel Iradukunda was named the MVP of the tournament. Tong and Zoubel combined for 40 points to lead Memorial.

It was Memorial's first QCIBT title since 1977. That game featured one of the most wild endings in the tournament's history. Memorial was up 67 to 65 and Trinity had the ball coming up the court to try and tie the game. Andy Paul of Trinity, currently the 7th leading scorer in QCIBT history, had the ball and was coming up near the center court line to try to work for the tieing shot. As he dribbled towards the top of the key he was called for a carry violation with 6 seconds left in the game. Trinity coach Don Beleski (Who was one of the most colorful coaches in NH high school b-ball history) erupted along with the Trinity faithful. Memorial ran out the clock and the game ended. As the 2 officials made their way off the court the official who made the carry call was confronted by a Trinity football player, who just happened to be well over 6 feet and well over 200 pounds. The Trinity student grabbed the official and within a second or two was knocked to the ground by 2 Manchester policemen, handcuffed and taken to the MPD station. The crowd was buzzing over the ending of the game and the aftermath of the fan/referee/police occurence. It took a while for the crowd to disperse as there was a lot to talk about.

I'm sure this tale probably has been retold a few times in the next 35 years over at Billy's Basketball

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum