@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Who Is Number 1?

Go down

Who Is Number 1? Empty Who Is Number 1?

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:49 am

Exeter and Winny are state champs of D1 and D2. Winny beat Exeter head to head during the regular season. Exeter beat Pinkerton twice. Winny lost to Keene. Exeter beat Dover by a lot and Winny beat them by a little. Winny's schedule was tougher, some would argue because D1 was down this year while D2 had more quality teams.

I would vote............. Winny #1

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Who Is Number 1? Empty Re: Who Is Number 1?

Post  JAF on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:38 am

Winni/Dover was Winni without Franzoso (right after the Exeter game and followed by Spauld)... Unless you're from the Seacoast area I don't think the scope/depth of that Exeter/Winni rivalry is understood. Winni had the size, speed, and depth this year to be able to blow up Exeter's style of play. Big inside d-line and quick linebackers. Exeter did what they had to do all year long (except in one game) and were as usually as consistent as ever. Winni beat the defending champs 2 weeks in a row and had only one speed bump when their coach was not allowed to make the bus ride to Keene. I have to think WInni went a bit more conservative and probably were quite distracted throughout that game. Any questionable call made against them were probably magnified.

While I agree Winni really should have #1 considerations - too many D1 bigots vote to make that happen. I'm sure the logic will somehow involve the PA win over MA "power" Brockton. Yes PA with years of tape and game against Brockton beat them in their place. It doesn't mean Exeter is better too. Conversely Exeter with years of tape and game against Winni, couldn't pull off the win. In their one chance to go head to head, they lost and that should count for something, but I doubt it will.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:49 am

The UL Poll has Exeter #1.

This didn't surprise me. What surprised me was that Exeter received all 8 first place votes. I would've thought at least 1 or 2 voters would've thought outside the Biased D1 Box and taken a look at the following:

- D2 was better than D1 as a whole this year.

- Very arguably, Central and Nashua South probably wouldn't have made the playoffs if they competed in D2 this season.

- During the regular season Winny DEFEATED Exeter in a game that was not questioned for one team not doing this or not doing that. Winny BEAT Exeter. Winny had the same record as Exeter. Winny competed in a tougher division of football from top to bottom.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121120/SPORTS04/121129971

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:00 am

Tuesday and Friday wrote:The UL Poll has Exeter #1.

- During the regular season Winny DEFEATED Exeter in a game that was not questioned for one team not doing this or not doing that. Winny BEAT Exeter. Winny had the same record as Exeter. Winny competed in a tougher division of football from top to bottom.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20121120/SPORTS04/121129971

C'mon T&F. We don't even need to play the GAMES anymore- that's an antiquated notion. Just because Winny defeated Exeter, that doesn't mean Winny could defeat Exeter. We just let the POWER POLLS tell us who's good!

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:11 am

Your toungue in cheek sarcasm speaks volumes, Justin !!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:19 am

In the Telegraph poll there was 1 vote at #1 for Winni.

Like it's been said before the polls are purely for entertainment purposes - they have no concept of reality.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:38 pm

I know it's simply conjecture but it would have been interesting to see who they would have voted number 1 if Pinkerton would have beaten Exeter last Saturday.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. on Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm amazed that in the Union Leader article Roger Brown talks about Winnie not playing as tough a schedule as Exeter. Winnie played (and beat): #1 Exeter, #4 Bedford (2 wins), #9 Souhegan, and #10 BG (2 wins). Add to that the loss to Keene (without Auffant and Franzoso). That's an 11-1 record with SEVEN games played against Top 10 teams this year. Exeter on the other hand went 11-1 but only played 4 games against Top 10 teams (2 vs. Pinkerton, both wins, one against South for a win, and the loss to Winnie). So I question the logic used by many of the voters.
I also question Nashua South at #6...They are a 6-5 team that played in (what we all agree is the weaker) Division 1. Their last game was a BLOWOUT loss, 42-3 to the team now ranked #3. If I had a vote they would have been #10 at the highest, and everyone else would've moved up a slot. I just don't see how they made #6 over an undefeated Plymouth team that dominated (granted, in D4) all year, a Portsmouth team that won the D3 championship, a Souhegan team that, despite a tough loss to Goffstown, played good ball all year long and beat it's D1 opponent Central (ironically by the same 35-28 score as South), and a BG team that, while weaker than in years past, still made the competitive D2 playoffs and gave the [controversially] #2 rated team in the state a game.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:33 pm

Quite frankly, this season, any team that had a mostly D2 schedule had a tougher schedule than any team that had a mostly D1 schedule. I think most HS football fans would agree with this.

This same poll had 3 out of the top 5 teams from D2, but yet they had Exeter as #1 who LOST TO, WAS BEATEN BY AND WAS DEFEATED BY WINNY.

Some would call this paradoxical.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Who Is Number 1? Empty #1

Post  tarrier on Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:39 am

I voted like this...
Exeter
Winny
Pink
Bed
Keene
Plymouth
Ports
Souhegan
Nashua South
Trinity

Just a few quick thoughts because I need a break after the season.

I voted Exeter ahead of Winny for 1 reason...I think they are a better team than Winny despite the regular season loss. Winny won it fair and square and I give them credit for that, but if they played again I'd pick Exeter to win.

The difference between D1 & D2 is that top to bottom, D2 was better/tougher this year. But the 2 top teams in D1 were as good, if not better than any team in D2. But I still voted 3 D2 teams in my Top 5.

I think I have it right by placing Plymouth 6th because I think they would beat any/all of the teams I have behind them.

I struggled with maybe putting Nashua South as low as #10 but figured if I was putting Trinity in they had to be 10th. And I didn't want to put BG in the Top 10 because of my policy of "showing love" to the lower division teams instead of putting in all D1/2 tams.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:52 am

"I voted Exeter ahead of Winny for 1 reason...I think they are a better team than Winny despite the regular season loss. Winny won it fair and square and I give them credit for that, but if they played again I'd pick Exeter to win."

tarrier

I can relate Pete. After Chaminade beat #1 Virginia and Ralph Sampson in 1982 I thought, well Virginia is the better team and if they played again Virginia would certainly win....... Oh wait, Chaminade just beat #7 Texas 86 - 73 today in Maui. Dagnabit, I know if they played again Texas would certainly win. Razz Razz Razz Razz

Love using Chaminade, but my point is I can't use IF and BUT for Winny and Exeter. I use concrete. They are not going to play again this season. I just have the concrete evidence that:

Winny beat Exeter fair and square. They both won their respective division championships. Based on this concrete evidence Winny is the #1 HS football team in the Granite State.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:32 am

Pete - your logic about playing again is flawed. Sure if Exeter plays again perhaps Exeter wins. Then they play again, perhaps Winni wins. etc. etc. ad nauseum. It's the nature of the beast of how coaches can prepare for a team. But since they won't play again, then "ignoring the result" or "speculating on something that cannot happen" is just an excuse. The coaches don't choose the order of their games - they take them "one game at a time". Ignoring the result when both played to win isn't "fair" to the victor. Polls are a media thing meant to drum up discussion - I get it; however, I think the media needs to remember at this point of the season that this isn't a college poll - it's a HS poll and while the coaches may say it doesn't mean anything - they do use it in the locker room prior to the game to fire up their players.

If Goffstown plays Souhegan again, who wins? What happens if they play again? But yet you don't have Goffstown in your top 10 and they won the game that mattered while barely losing the one that didn't the week before. I agree they are more of a one man team, but there are more HS teams that rely heavily on 1 player than there are that have the depth to survive the injury to their top player. Portsmouth is a perfect example of a team that survived injuries this year (albeit in Division 3).

Even though Winni didn't have Franzoso for 3-5 games, they still "won" more than they lost - it wasn't as pretty. The one they lost to Keene could be expected especially with your #1 back and head coach sitting it out - how easy was it for Loupa to fire up his players? He's got the #1 team, some bulletin board material from the head coach, and then finds out just before game time that quote cost the coach a game... I know you were at that game - was that a different Winni team than you saw later/previously?

Taking the "ifs and buts" argument a bit further - I think you'd have the same story with Exeter - take away Grant they'd still win, but it wouldn't be as pretty. What if PA loses Manny for a few games - do they still win? Bedford loses Caparell? Keene loses Loupa (as seen in/against Spaulding and a perhaps less than 100% effort vs. West)? South without Trevor isn't going far... Nor is Trinity without G at QB (I won't even try to spell his last name!). I think by putting South in your poll is the contrary example of your policy. Whether BG is in the poll or not means little - do I think they could beat Trinity - sure... South? - most likely, but they'd have a tough time with Trevor. If Plymouth had to play any of the top 10 teams over the course of the season - they wouldn't be undefeated.

I still believe if you take the season as a whole, Winni was the best team out there *and* they proved it on the field when they played Exeter. Winni's competition was more difficult. Exeter beating PA twice wasn't unexpected - they knew PA had one main option, something O'Reilly even knew. I also think Bedford was a very close second... They lost 2 games this year to the #1 team (at least on the field where it counts). A game between Bedford and PA would be an interesting matchup of whether Manny would get fatigued on defense chasing Bedford receivers all over the field and whether that would translate to reduced offensive output.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Who Is Number 1? Empty Shame on the voters

Post  REDFOXFAN on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am

Their is no question that D2 had better teams this year vrs D1.
Exeter and Pinkerton were the only two consistent teams. That was it
and to be honest it was not a interesting division to watch as a result.

Question?? Who would any of you bet on if Bedford had to play Pinky or
Exeter. From what I saw I would bet on Bedford and thats not to say Pinky or
Exeter would not beat them I am just saying Bedford would have my $$$.

Central,South were average to bad teams and to think that they made the D1
playoffs speaks to how bad D1 was this year. Central lost to a ok Souheagan
team. Souheagan has a great program but they were down this year.

That was one of the biggest offensive lines I have ever seen in the state with Winnie and
from what I was told that team is loaded with Juniors. Good luck Exeter,Central,Pinky next
year with Winnie.

REDFOXFAN
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Basketball boy on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 pm

REDFOXFAN wrote:Their is no question that D2 had better teams this year vrs D1.
Exeter and Pinkerton were the only two consistent teams. That was it
and to be honest it was not a interesting division to watch as a result.

Question?? Who would any of you bet on if Bedford had to play Pinky or
Exeter. From what I saw I would bet on Bedford and thats not to say Pinky or
Exeter would not beat them I am just saying Bedford would have my $$$.

Central,South were average to bad teams and to think that they made the D1
playoffs speaks to how bad D1 was this year. Central lost to a ok Souheagan
team. Souheagan has a great program but they were down this year.

That was one of the biggest offensive lines I have ever seen in the state with Winnie and
from what I was told that team is loaded with Juniors. Good luck Exeter,Central,Pinky next
year with Winnie.

See you say you have your money on Bedford, but the lancers of Londonderry destroyed them in a scrimmage and they were and will be one of the worst teams in the state. Advice for Londonderry.... Fire Jon Rich and change the offense

Basketball boy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:43 pm

Bball boy - I don't know enough about Londonderry to rule one way or another but 1) scrimmages are scrimmages, and 2) this probably isn't the year to fire you're head coach...there are already several programs without head coaches who will likely hire the better quality coaches before Londonderry can.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Who Is Number 1? Empty Let me Guess

Post  REDFOXFAN on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Is Ball Boy a High School kid? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Repeat after me, PRESEASON SCRIMAGE.

I thought this was an Adult Site, Your Logic is running a close second with Tarrier!

JAF honestly I would watch your show before I would turn on Tarrier. Shocked

Ball Boy your making me glad its Basketball season. Very Happy

Happy Thanksgiving Guys!!!

REDFOXFAN
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:16 pm

Exactly Red Fox. A scrimmage is a scrimmage.

Last I checked they didn't have any Power Polls for scrimmages.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum