New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

When the walls come tumbling down.

+6
rwvogeley
REDFOXFAN
E.I.R.
Tuesday and Friday
JAF
GNG
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty Re: When the walls come tumbling down.

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Yea, Alvirine going to D1 next year in football is a joke. This will decimate their football program and set it back years.

I've been saying for the last 2 years it's time for Portsmouth's baseball program to get some..... Ahem..... Fortitude and move up to D1. I think it's a farce they still compete in D2.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty Size matters and coaching too

Post  bb603 Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:19 pm

The NHIAA should clearly look at school size in division placement.

There is no way Alvirne should be in D1 for football with the school size combined with the recent records.

On the other hand MMHS should not be allowed to move out of D1. The school has the population size to compete in D1, but has not done so recently. Got to ask why? From what I can see as a football outsider (my son played other sports) the team spends hours and hours lifting, but maybe some regular cardio work would make them better atheletes.

Was at a soccer game 2 years ago and the football team was doing some running on the next field over. I think as a 50 year old man I could have outrun a number of the players. Many were wheezing like old men. I contrast that with an article I read about TOJO as a track coach having his football players in top shape and able to run.

If a school has the size to be in a particular division and doesn't compete I think the first place to look may be the coach.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty There is a team out there in way worse shape then Alvirne.

Post  GNG Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:24 am

WAY WORSE.

Remember my friends Merrimack had their hats handed to them by both Conval and Pembroke.

Alvirne would beat Merrimack 33-8.

They were not competitive in any game they played. Not even close. Their offense is putrid, and their defense is worse. Don't get me started on their coaching.

If there is any team that should not be playing with the big boys next season it's Merrimack.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty Next Year

Post  rwvogeley Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I agre with most of the comment regarding next years' football d one scheduling. There is one fact that needs to be included. The feeder system that a town has contributes to the level that a team can compete.
Souhegan which is D3 plays D 1 in girls lacrosse because of the excellent feeder system and their Coach. They should be a top level football team. Look at the players that they have placed the past few years into the college game..Amherst, UNH BC Endicott. You might be hard pressed to find a team with more placements then Souhegan. Look at players like Crane, Knight etc who played for other top programs.
Putting a team that is not ready for D1 is athletic suicide. They program will suffer as players will not go out for the program. They do not want to be hurt and or embarrassed on a weekly basis.
Every two years reevaluate, The top two teams move up, the bottom two teams move down. No politics, just hard decisions.
Final thought, How can a coach petition for his team to stay in D1, when they are really a D2 team at best, an then retire. Does not make sense.

Thoughts????

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty Re: When the walls come tumbling down.

Post  Crossover Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 am

GNG wrote: WAY WORSE.

Remember my friends Merrimack had their hats handed to them by both Conval and Pembroke.

Alvirne would beat Merrimack 33-8.

They were not competitive in any game they played. Not even close. Their offense is putrid, and their defense is worse. Don't get me started on their coaching.

If there is any team that should not be playing with the big boys next season it's Merrimack.

GNG - At this point in time I would say the Merrimack situation is slightly worse than Alvirne .......but at this time next year the Alvirne program may be in a situation that it may not be able to recover from.

Alvirne 2013 Schedule

Timberlane
@ Nashua South
Dover
@ Winnie
BG
@ Exeter
Nashua North
@ Spaulding
@ Keene

YIKES!!

Remember.....Merrimack did beat Alvirne last year in football 7-6. Although they did have King and Myers.

To me a solution of 4 Divisions is the answer.....The big boys(huge enrollment) in D1.......The little boys (very small enrollment) in D4 and the rest in D2 and D3.

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:29 am

rwvogeley wrote:
Final thought, How can a coach petition for his team to stay in D1, when they are really a D2 team at best, an then retire. Does not make sense.

Thoughts????

rw.....what team/coach are you talking about?

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:02 am

I'm not 100% sure crossover but it may be Salem? I believe their coach retired last year and they are winless in D1 this year.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty What Team

Post  REDFOXFAN Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:43 am

RW is talking about Salem......................they has to petition to stay in D1 as the
NHHIAA had them moving down to D2 as Windham left.

REDFOXFAN
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks for the clarification EIR and REDFOXFAN !

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty Crossover

Post  GNG Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:00 pm

I like the way you think.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

When the walls come tumbling down. - Page 2 Empty Crossover

Post  rwvogeley Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:01 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you quicker. Last year when this entire football redivisonalization occurred, the Nashua Telegram wrote an article about it. It was either Gary Fitz, Tom King or Joe M wrote about he various divisions. They mentioned that Salem was going to go to D2 but that the football coach objected and wanted to stay in D1. Less then a week later he retired.
Still can not for the life of me figure what or why he did it.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum